Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Edmond Dantes posted:

But they're lore friendly, it makeS NO SENSE FOR THEM TO DISAPPEAR, IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO :qq:
It totally makes sense for them to disappear, even from a lore perspective. They didn't hang around in Cyrodiil after you beat the main quest in Oblivion, so why the gently caress would they be in Skyrim? Arthmoor had to make up some bullshit Nirn physics to justify it. He's not even right according to :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just love the idea that the tough-as-nails viking natives have just been too lazy to tear this hideous demon claw door down for the past however many hundred years.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

King Vidiot posted:

Why not just get Fallout Mod Manager for that? It's basically the exact same program but designed for the Bethesda-produced Fallouts.

I use FOMM. what it doesn't let me do as easily as MO is switch entire modlists in and out seamlessly. That's probably a very small edge-case for use, but I do it pretty frequently trying to build up different modlists for testing/playing/screwing around/whatever.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I swear whenever I want to get something, Nexus is down :argh:

so....always?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Regarding the MO list of mods on the left, does BOSS autosort those like it does with the plugins on the right? Because I've also been ignoring them. :|

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Azran posted:

Great OP, I downloaded a lot of stuff since I played this game way back when it got released on PS3. I'm using MO, and I'm having an issue when it comes to TKCombat and two other TK files; also Uncapper (wanna try SPERG) where it says "No game data on top level"

The display is basically

-> <Data>
-> Actual mod files here

Is this normal or I'm missing a step?

Click the question mark to my left and read the post I made on Nov 22nd.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So MO keeps launching Skyrim as a small window. I tried launching it normally and changing the options back to fullscreen, but it's still doing it. How do I fix this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cismans Burden posted:

So MO keeps launching Skyrim as a small window. I tried launching it normally and changing the options back to fullscreen, but it's still doing it. How do I fix this?

Launch the Skyrim Launcher from MO, set resolution settings correctly.

Anyone ever find a decent/simple Fishing mod? Just one with fishing reels. I found a few on the Nexus that have dynamite :wtc: and nets but doesn't look like it has a fishing pole.

Quift
May 11, 2012
After playing around with my alternate life, mage run i must repeat myself. Smart casting is the best mod on the nexus for a mage.

Ironskin is up automatically
Healing automatic as soon as i get hit.
Summons immediately when someone goes hostile
Muffle and invisibility immediately when I sneak.

Destruction in both hands after that!

Huge time saving, no micromanaging. Best thing is that it summons when I'm on a horse. So my summons takes care of all the bloody wolves.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I decided to try out deadly dragons with the assault settings set to "three dragons once an hour."

Boy was that a mistake. :stare:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

When I can actually get pages to load at Nexus, I'm having a lot of luck downloading stuff from the Salt Lake City servers. The speeds aren't great, but at least things are downloading.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Regarding the MO list of mods on the left, does BOSS autosort those like it does with the plugins on the right? Because I've also been ignoring them. :|

It doesn't; I recently ran BOSS and got a 'problems with your setup' message that confused me until I had a look at the left pane and realized nothing had been reordered.

Just change things around until it's as close a match as you can manage and it ought to be fine.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
edit: misread

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

I've been meaning to play Skyrim with mods for ages, since I played about hundred odd hours on xbox when it can came out.

Thanks to this thread, after a solid two days work I have a MO up and running, learnt about bashed patches, levelled list merging, cleaned the main files in tesedit, have about 100 mods working well (touch wood!), and have a slightly tweaked version of quietcool ENB (messed with a few of the shift-enter options to desat the sky a little, got rid of the funny coloured fog, turned off AO to keep a steady 60fps) which makes the game look absolutely bloody fantastic.
Thanks so much guys!! No way I could of done it without this thread.

A quick question though; everything seems to be running ok, but one number in the 'magic' stats page: It says 'number of spells learned': 13954 :o
This number goes up every 3 seconds or so... I can only think it's something like Frostfall? and the exposure level/wetness levels changing?
The other script heavy mods I have are Nord Needs, and SPERG.
I have typed 'clearinvalidregistrations' in the console but nothing was removed.

Anything to worry about?

Here's my load order:

code:
BOSS
Version 2.1.1

======================================
Summary
======================================

Plugin Type	Count
	Recognised (or sorted by user rules)	101
	Unrecognised	0
	Inactive	0
	All	101

Plugin Message Type	Count
	Warning	0
	Error	0
	All	0

SKSE Plugins

SKSE Version: 0.1.6.16

SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll Version: 1.15.2.0

Smart Souls.dll Version: 9.0.6.405

Plugins

Skyrim.esm Active
Update.esm Active
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active
Dawnguard.esm Active
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
HearthFires.esm Active
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active
Dragonborn.esm Active
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active
Skyrim Project Optimization - No Homes.esm Active
3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm Active
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active
JSwords.esm Active
SPERG.esm Active
SPIKE.esm Active
HighResTexturePack01.esp Active
HighResTexturePack02.esp Active
HighResTexturePack03.esp Active
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Active
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp Active
Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active
Better Dynamic Snow.esp Active
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp Active
Quietcool.esp Active
Dark Dungeons for Dawnguard.esp Active
Dark Dungeons for Dragonborn.esp Active
Further Dark Dungeons for ENB.esp Active
Skyrim Shadow Striping Fix.esp Active
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active
TradeBarter.esp Active
Immersive Dawnguard.esp Active
Immersive Dragonborn.esp Active
Immersive Factions.esp Active
Immersive Patrols.esp Active
Immersive Travelers.esp Active
NordNeeds.esp Active
PassiveWeaponEnchantmentRecharging.esp Active
WetandCold.esp Active
Footprints.esp Active
JSwords_Load_Screens.esp Active
SkyTweak.esp Active
SkyUI.esp Active
iHUD.esp Active
Cloaks.esp Active
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp Active
1nivWICCloaks.esp Active
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp Active
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active
isilNarsil.esp Active
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp Active
MECR_Classic_Nord_Shields.esp Active
TCOSS.esp Active
TorchArrow-Dawnguard.esp Active
3rdEraWeapMoS-lvlList.esp Active
Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp Active
Complete Crafting Overhaul.esp Active
OBIS.esp Active
OBISDB.esp Active
Run For Your Lives.esp Active
When Vampires Attack.esp Active
Scale Tipper.esp Active
Morrowloot.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-DBForevertoMisc.esp Active
Increased Bounty & Guild Rewards.esp Active
Ish's Weighted Gold.esp Active
SkyFalls Plus SkyMills - All DLC.esp Active
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp Active
TheChoiceIsYours.esp Active
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-TheChoiceIsYoursPatch.esp Active
TimingIsEverything.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-TimingIsEverythingPatch.esp Active
TorchRadius.esp Active
Uncle Sheo.esp Active
skyforgedWeapons.esp Active
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp Active
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp Active
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp Active
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active
Consistent Stars - CoT.esp Active
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp Active
CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp Active
CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-10.esp Active
DeadlyCombat.esp Active
DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp Active
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp Active
SPERG.esp Active
SPERG-DG.esp Active
SPERG-DB.esp Active
SPERG Immersive Armors.esp Active
SPERG Weapons and Armor Complete.esp Active
Chesko_LevelUp.esp Active
Purewaters.esp Active
PurewatersDG.esp Active
PurewatersDB.esp Active
Bashed Patch, 0.esp Active

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Do you still need the Dawnguard and Dragonborn patches for SPERG these days?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

futile posted:

Yeah that's the page that acts like turning off a couple services will make any loving difference on Skyrim stability, or advises you to start changing your hardware timer or download "memory cleaner" programs. Do NOT bother with it.

I'd recommend completely ignoring section 3 and 5, and only having a quick glance at section 6 (it may help you, it may not, who knows). But section 4 is a big help and can be very useful if, like me, you've buggered your game through overmodding and have no idea what the gently caress went wrong.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Gorgar posted:

Not sure, looking at the readme, it just mentions 'optional' patches. I guess that means the DG and DB patches? I'm fairly sure they came with the main files.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Are there any mods that improve on the "Racism" part of the game? Old issue with lazy Bethesda writing, but it feels really weird to run into the Stormcloak capital as any of the non human-species and basically get no different reaction at all as if you were playing the generic human hero character I assume everything is written for (barring a few stock VA comments).

My immersion :qq:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gorgar posted:

Unless you want the DLC armors/weapons/spells to be OP as gently caress, then yeah you need them.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
AHAHAHAHA! Found the problem :woop: This mod, this fucker right here, does not play well with any mod which alters hair. Like, say, a follower mod. It'll just CTD you, little fucker.

Christ that was annoying to find. Standalone my arse :argh:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I dont know if anyone else would care, but I made a tiny little compatibility patch for Dwemer Certified and SPERG: Dwemer SPERGified. It just slaps the Dwemer Certified perks onto the SPERG Enchanting and Smithing trees. It's ugly (I didnt really mess with placing them in the tree in an aesthetic sense, I just made them work) but it works. Do whatever you'd like with it. :)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So wait, does Mod Organizer allow you to do stuff like, quickly switch between different body replacers without having to do something stupid like creating duplicate folders in meshes and textures? If so, does it store a copy of your personal load order in your user data, so you could say, set everything up for multiple people on multiple user accounts on the same computer once, and then never worry about it again?

Because that would make things way less of a pain in the rear end for my boyfriend and I.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ernie Muppari posted:

So wait, does Mod Organizer allow you to do stuff like, quickly switch between different body replacers without having to do something stupid like creating duplicate folders in meshes and textures? If so, does it store a copy of your personal load order in your user data, so you could say, set everything up for multiple people on multiple user accounts on the same computer once, and then never worry about it again?

Because that would make things way less of a pain in the rear end for my boyfriend and I.

Yes. You can set up profiles with specific load orders and different mods including model and texture replacers. Each profile has it's own save file location and ini settings too. They are completely isolated from each other other than if you were to delete a mod from the hard drive itself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

So wait, does Mod Organizer allow you to do stuff like, quickly switch between different body replacers without having to do something stupid like creating duplicate folders in meshes and textures?
Yep. MO allows you to setup seperate profiles and each profile has it's own list of installed mods, loadorder, .ini settings and saves.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

Yes. You can set up profiles with specific load orders and different mods including model and texture replacers. Each profile has it's own save file location and ini settings too. They are completely isolated from each other other than if you were to delete a mod from the hard drive itself.

Holy crap that's useful, I'm so incredibly done with loving around with the actual files for Skyrim, you have no idea. Looks like I'll be spending some time working on figuring out how to use MO...hopefully not all that much since what seems to be the biggest stumbling block for people (having to run it as administrator) isn't going to be an issue for me since it won't even be on the C:\ drive.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
For your purposes the one other thing I'd keep in mind is that when you make a new MO profile you have to redo alllll the initial config stuff. Basics like ini edits, graphics options, that kinda thing. It's only a one-time (per profile) thing, but it'll catch you.

someone better versed in MO than I might know if duplicating a profile lets you duplicate all those settings, but I made my profiles all from scratch so I don't know.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

someone better versed in MO than I might know if duplicating a profile lets you duplicate all those settings, but I made my profiles all from scratch so I don't know.
All the profile specific stuff is stored under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>. You can freely copy over stuff like .ini files and the loadorder .txt files from one profile to the other.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Duplicating profiles definitely keeps your binds, so I assume all the other vanilla skyrim settings as well.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Psion posted:

For your purposes the one other thing I'd keep in mind is that when you make a new MO profile you have to redo alllll the initial config stuff. Basics like ini edits, graphics options, that kinda thing. It's only a one-time (per profile) thing, but it'll catch you.

On the plus side, I'm so used to having to do that just to make the setup we're using right now work that that's second nature to me by now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Will all loaded mods have an appearance on the Mod Configuration Menu? I've dumped in plenty but they don't show up on there. Also I'm probably definitely going to get called out for this but, are the unofficial patches a necessity? Im new to modding this game and am scared of creating even more possibilities for errors.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Only mods with a defined menu for MCM will appear. Most will not.

As far as I can tell, pretty much everyone who uses mods uses the unofficial patches as well. They're not necessary, but they fix a lot of bugs, and they don't seem to make any trouble that I've read about.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You'd probably have more mod-related errors by not using the Unofficial Patches than by using them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'll load them in then. BOSS and MO seem to be the most used mod loaders, which one is the most newbie friendly? Or are both choices good either way?

Also, i'm debating between using SPERG and the balanced Stealth Skills mod since I like playing Skyrim like Metal Gear. Except by the time I hit level 35 or so I was able to pickpocket dungeon "bosses" and remove their weapons, and then backstab in one hit. Then I could hide in plain sight as the goonies "looked" for me.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Avocados posted:

I'll load them in then. BOSS and MO seem to be the most used mod loaders, which one is the most newbie friendly? Or are both choices good either way?
These are two different things.
MO is a mod manager: Like all mod manager it allows you to set your loadorder. In addition unlike other mod managers MO allows you to keep your mods outside of the Data folder, which makes uninstalling and switching mods around painless. At first glance MO can look rather intimidating, but if you google around and/or ask questions in this thread, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

BOSS is a tool that sorts your loadorder. Having a proper loadorder is quite important and this tool can be usefull to a modding-newbie. It's not perfect though, so don't blindly rely on it and always check the result. BOSS also gives plugin-specific messages like known bugs, incompatibility warnings, etc.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They're different things. BOSS arranges a mod loading order according to what some diligent people have submitted into a table on the Internet. MO is pretty great and you should probably use it instead of the mod manager in the launcher.

e: God, gently caress you people

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I really want to enjoy a pacifist run. Can anyone recommend mods that enhance that experience?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

kaschei posted:

I really want to enjoy a pacifist run. Can anyone recommend mods that enhance that experience?

You'll probably want some mods that add good Illusion, Alteration and Restoration spells like Apocalypse Spells. If you're allowing yourself followers to kill stuff for you you'll probably want Extensible Follower Framework. Sneak Tools adds some non-lethal ways to deal with enemies.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of SPERG I can't get rid of my Phantom Battleaxe. It spawned while in battle recently and now just won't go away. It glitches out the NPCs who end up walking around in their fighting stance, but acting friendly. Weird as hell! I disabled it in the in-game mods menu, bound a key to turn the phantom guys off and on, reloaded a save, quit the game entirely, but it just won't piss off. Any other ideas on how to fix this? Maybe disabling it in the console might help, but I can't seem to be able to select it on screen.

On another note, I never realised you could reanimate Astrid's burnt body during the Dark Brotherhood quest line. loving hilarious! :xd:

e:

Quift posted:

After playing around with my alternate life, mage run i must repeat myself. Smart casting is the best mod on the nexus for a mage.
This looks incredibly handy, thanks for the tip.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 29, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just one note on Smart Cast, watch out for spells which might lock you into re-activating them over and over and preventing you from doing any other spells. There are some "Protection From..." spells, not sure if they're vanilla or part of the Apocalypse Spells pack, and I tried setting one up to auto-fire and it locked me out of doing any other spells until I disabled it. It just wouldn't stop going off during combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd love to start modding again, if the Nexus server would actually let me download mods through MO or even Nexus Mod Manager. But nope, it's gotta be manual. Just a loving tedious grind where one misplaced file is all it takes to CTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

So...is it normal for downloading or installing mods through MO to take for-loving-ever? 'Cause dang has this been taking a while.

• Locked thread