Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
As far as functional/visual tweaks right now I'm using Emphasize, FolderCloser, FlipControlCenter, HiddenSettings7, PandoraSkips, Phantom, SwitchSpring, TransparentDock, and YouTubed all without fail. biteSMS works but is still very much in beta.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I really don't get why you guys are holding back? Even as 5s owners you can have it jailbroken and ready for when MobileSubstrate starts working properly.

For those if you with the 5 that are having MobileSubstrate issues, install 'BootStrap'. Will fix all your issues ;)

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I was wondering as a happy JB iPhone 4s owner, is there a compelling reason to update to iOS7? That is, what are the must-have features of iOS 7?

How much slower does a 4s run on iOS 7?

I played with a couple of friend's 5s and 5c for a few minutes, but not enough to know the iOS well. I was planning on keeping this phone for one more year.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Djimi posted:

I was wondering as a happy JB iPhone 4s owner, is there a compelling reason to update to iOS7? That is, what are the must-have features of iOS 7?

How much slower does a 4s run on iOS 7?

I played with a couple of friend's 5s and 5c for a few minutes, but not enough to know the iOS well. I was planning on keeping this phone for one more year.

I was you a week ago. I went home for Christmas the day after the JB went live. Since the JB was out I updated to 7 and really haven't looked back. It's much more efficient vanilla than I anticipated. There are pages in folders, a control panel ncsettings style, an Auxo like multitasker, and a nice facelift to the base interface.

I won't lie, as someone who was going to just stay at 6, I was blown away.

My vote is update to 7. You really will be pleased. Especially since the backup->restore->update process retains your profile so well. It'll be like you just downloaded some sweet tweaks all at once, and then the JB for 7 is available and being finished within a day or two.

I just set my jailbreak up and with Purge (kill all apps), and zeppelin it's going to be fun times going forward.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The main reason I updated my ipad 33 from 6.1.2 to 7.0.4 is because the App Store isn't a buggy piece of poo poo on ios 7. Aside from that, it looks a lot slicker as has a 'half' SBSettings style Control Centre built into the OS.

But yeah, update it to get the App Store in a useable state.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Why not the simple reason of upgrade and jailbreak now before you can't?

I was on ios 5 for a long time before 7 because I couldn't update & jb to 6 (waiting too long).

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
^^^ Pretty much this as well.

There is no knowing A) How long It'l be before Apple patch the exploit and B) how long they'll still be signing ios 7.0.4

Update and jailbreak while you can folks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This JB isn't like some previous ones that patched an IPSW to be shift+restored onto the device, so it's sufficient to just update to 7.0.3 and wait to see what happens in the coming weeks, right?

What I mean is, as long as you're updated, you shouldn't need to be in the signing window to JB later.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

cisneros posted:

f.lux works, swipeselection works, and iFile sorta works, that's enough reason to jailbreak for now.

At this point, f.lux is 90 percent or more of why I jailbreak. I spent a good long time reading up on the safety of the evasi0n 7 jailbreak, and all the drama sucks, but everybody in the scene has said its safe but sort of useless until Saurik updates MS. But since f.lux works and I got a new iPad air yesterday I went ahead and did it. I'll just wait on installing any tweaks beyond that.

If Apple would add a f.lux like solution in the Accessibility Settings I probably wouldn't bother Jailbreaking anymore.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

"Many goons posted:

Good answers
OK. Thank you. I will start on that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

eddiewalker posted:

This JB isn't like some previous ones that patched an IPSW to be shift+restored onto the device, so it's sufficient to just update to 7.0.3 and wait to see what happens in the coming weeks, right?

What I mean is, as long as you're updated, you shouldn't need to be in the signing window to JB later.

I'd jailbreak ASAP in case you end up being some sort of edge case where the jailbreak fails to install and you have to restore your device, only to find that Apple isn't signing 7.0.4 anymore.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Correct.

E: plus what bobfather said is good advice also

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

If Apple would add a f.lux like solution in the Accessibility Settings I probably wouldn't bother Jailbreaking anymore.

I'm sure apple has been keeping an eye on Cydia for more tweaks to add to iOS.

Another reason to update is the growing number of iOS 7 only apps.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Blimpkin posted:

I won't lie, as someone who was going to just stay at 6, I was blown away.
Can anyone answer the question as to speed and responsiveness? Is it not significant? Blimpkin - were you blown away because it ran as fast or faster than 6.x or not as as slow as you expected? What is the 'blown-away' aspect of iOS 7?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

On my 4s once you turn off the parallax and the frosted glass it feels faster than 6. I would imagine that fakeclockup would make it seem even snappier.
The newer feel of the OS I think helps as well compared to the very tired look of iOS 6.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tryna install some tweaks but keep gettin nuthin but annoyed. Seeing I should download something called BootStrap thrugh Cydia. Can't find the fucker on there. What repo do I need to add to find it?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tryna install some tweaks but keep gettin nuthin but annoyed. Seeing I should download something called BootStrap thrugh Cydia. Can't find the fucker on there. What repo do I need to add to find it?

Use this article:

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/fix-cydia-tweak-errors-ios-7-bootstrap/

Actually this is the repo:

http://cydia.myrepospace.com/PWN24K/

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Figured I'd get ahead of the Apple 8-ball and update and re-jailbreak as many have suggested. Went pretty smoothly, had an error during the update and had to restore before trying again, but it turned out alright.

iOS 7 is really ugly, I'm really looking forward to being able to turn off all of this stuff and if anybody knows some apps to do so I'd welcome the help. Only a handful of the jailbreaks I normally run are currently supported and I'm already missing a few of them like iBlacklist, (full) iFile and all my lockscreen stuff.

Still, as others have pointed out, better to update and jailbreak now before Apple sneaks out a patch and we have to wait a few more weeks.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I'm on 7 now. Looks gaudy. I got the bitesms beta but it's not showing up. Did the reinstall mobile sub thing twice.

Doesn't seem slow. I'll see how battery life is in the next 24 hours.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
bitesms beta actually integrates into Messages now.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

bitesms beta actually integrates into Messages now.
I don't see any sign of its former usefulness. Photo avatars, time stamps -- it looks crappy. Am I missing something?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Djimi posted:

I don't see any sign of its former usefulness. Photo avatars, time stamps -- it looks crappy. Am I missing something?

Time stamps, at least, are native in the iOS 7 messages app. Just swipe left and hold in a conversation window.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Djimi posted:

I'm on 7 now. Looks gaudy. I got the bitesms beta but it's not showing up. Did the reinstall mobile sub thing twice.

Doesn't seem slow. I'll see how battery life is in the next 24 hours.

I guess I did omit that one of my favorite tweaks is fakeclockup and I don't miss it right now at all. Plus the advanced OS is snappier overall I feel. Sorry about that.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
I'm still a bit confused here, the tweaks that ARE supported for iOS 7 will work on all devices except for new 64 bit iPhones and iPads? Does absolutely nothing work for the new 64 bit architecture yet as far as apps/tweaks in Cydia? Does the bootstrap fix that works for other devices not work at all on the new 64 bit devices?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Space Gopher posted:

Time stamps ... Just swipe left and hold...
Huh. That's clever and abstruse at the same time.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

lox posted:

I'm still a bit confused here, the tweaks that ARE supported for iOS 7 will work on all devices except for new 64 bit iPhones and iPads? Does absolutely nothing work for the new 64 bit architecture yet as far as apps/tweaks in Cydia? Does the bootstrap fix that works for other devices not work at all on the new 64 bit devices?

Mobile Substrate isn't compiled for 64 bit so pretty much every tweak doesn't work on the newest apple devices. On 32 bit devices substrate "works" but it has some bugs where you have to reinstall it to get your tweaks back working which is where that Bootstrap tweak comes in. People are using it to fix issues with substrate not running correctly on 32 bit. I believe Saurik (maker of Cydia/Substrate) recommended to not gently caress with most of the fixes like bootstrap for 32 bit substrate.

Stand-alone apps like F.lux and emus that don't alter existing apps/OS UI work for the most part on 64 bit.

SaucyLoggins fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 29, 2013

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Considering buying a BiteSMS license but got a few questions. First off, I've downloaded the tweak, and it looks to have installed fine, but when I click the icon, it seems to open, then close immediately. Known issue? I'm on 7.0.4, just JB and using BootStrap. Also, with the license, how do I link my payment to my account?

Cheers.

And also thanks to the poster above for the info re. the BootStrap repo.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I had to install the latest BiteSMS beta and reinstall mobile substrate for BiteSMS to work.

I'm on a 5 and not using bootstrap.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Don't use a hack like bootstrap.

If you are on a pre-A7 device and your tweaks aren't working, simply open Cydia, reinstall MobileSubstrate, and then force a respring by reinstalling some other tweak that will ask Cydia to respring your device.

You will have to do this any time you reboot your phone.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

bobfather posted:

Don't use a hack like bootstrap.

If you are on a pre-A7 device and your tweaks aren't working, simply open Cydia, reinstall MobileSubstrate, and then force a respring by reinstalling some other tweak that will ask Cydia to respring your device.

You will have to do this any time you reboot your phone.

Do use Bootstrap. It keeps you from having to reinstall substrate each time.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

goodness posted:

Do use Bootstrap. It keeps you from having to reinstall substrate each time.

Nah. Saurik suggested not to touch it and to wait for an updated MS instead.

And having to reinstall MS for the next couple days after you restart your phone is far more safe than installing some hack from a repo and dev nobody has ever heard of.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 29, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

bobfather posted:

Nah. Saurik suggested not to touch it and to wait for an updated MS instead.

And having to reinstall MS for the next couple days after you restart your phone is far more safe than installing some hack from a repo and dev nobody has ever heard of.

Well its worked for me and thousands of other people so do whatever you want. Its pretty tedious navigating through cydia and reinstalling substrate over and over again.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Why is fakeclockup named the way it is? It's always annoyed me. It's just that the name doesn't seem to describe the function of the tweak.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

It makes it seem like your phone is faster but it's not.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
After all the hooplah, was there anything actually dangerous in the iO7 jailbreak?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

hunter x az posted:

Why is fakeclockup named the way it is? It's always annoyed me. It's just that the name doesn't seem to describe the function of the tweak.

It's named so as It acts like its increased the clock speed(MHz) of your processor. It has nothing to do with clocks in the traditional, non-computer sense.

gypsyshred posted:

After all the hooplah, was there anything actually dangerous in the iO7 jailbreak?

The only thing dangerous about the jailbreak is the pervasive attitude of entitlement the community has regarding it. It's fine. Install it.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
BiteSMS finally showed itself after I shutdown and rebooted and reinstalled MB. I guess I need to buy a new license(?). Anyway, thanks for the info all.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You have to fix your license with the paypal code thing.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I made the switch to iOS 7 and jailbroke my 4S tonight. And now I can't get the native Mail app to work. When I tap it, I get a white screen and then am kicked back to the home screen.

I used PKGBackup to restore the few JB'ed apps that are iOS 7 compatible. Other than that, I didn't do anything weird. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this short of restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking it?

I'm also not seeing any BiteSMS integration, for what that's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ibntumart posted:

I made the switch to iOS 7 and jailbroke my 4S tonight. And now I can't get the native Mail app to work. When I tap it, I get a white screen and then am kicked back to the home screen.

I had the same problem independent of JB. Going into account settings and toggling mail "off" for all them fixed it for me.

• Locked thread