Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got the game from the Steam sale. After toughing through cutscene crashes, minutes-long fast travel sequences, and other shittiness, I got to the end, only to run into the bug where you the inputs for the final Joker beatdowns don't work. drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dr Christmas posted:

minutes-long fast travel sequences

Huh?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

This may be due to my aging PC, but using fast travel takes significantly longer than the loading times normally are.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I got the game from the Steam sale. After toughing through cutscene crashes, minutes-long fast travel sequences, and other shittiness, I got to the end, only to run into the bug where you the inputs for the final Joker beatdowns don't work. drat

I got the same infinite loop bug in the fight against Joker at the chapel. Looking around different forums seems to suggest that it's a new bug introduced by one of the later patches. Somehow it's a fitting end to all the bugginess! :v:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Disregarding the bugs, after playing through most of Origins, my impression is Arkham City, but more annoying. I can't really place my finger on it but the design seems sloppier.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've heard some people used Restart from Checkpoint to get it to fix.

That is not an option unfortunately. The My Alibi bar was the center of a most wanted mission, and it also saved automatically whenever I used a door. That means that no matter what, my checkpoint will take place inside the building.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I must be bad at this or something, but is the fight with (I don't know why I'm spoilering this) Deathstroke on board the Final Offer really just 'Counter everything and don't worry about offense'?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Smasher posted:

I must be bad at this or something, but is the fight with (I don't know why I'm spoilering this) Deathstroke on board the Final Offer really just 'Counter everything and don't worry about offense'?

Use the batclaw when you have an opening to do the batclaw slamdown. When his energy goes down enough the flash bomb sequence will kick in. Repeat 3 times.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
^

Pretty much the most tedious fight of the entire series.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Dr.Smasher posted:

I had good results with pressing him hard with attacks after doing the counter segments. If you can build up a freeflow, you can do special combo takedowns on him to help shave his lifebar a bit once you get going.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Promontory posted:

I got the same infinite loop bug in the fight against Joker at the chapel. Looking around different forums seems to suggest that it's a new bug introduced by one of the later patches. Somehow it's a fitting end to all the bugginess! :v:

I was able to get a fix by using my Xbox 360 controller for that portion only. I have the PC version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

No, you can be offensive. Use the Batclaw to throw him off balance, keep an eye out for when he is countering you. He is a tutorial for a type of enemy that shows up later.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Something I came across while doing the data pack sweep: In the Royal Hotel's parking garage (Data Pack 15-8 by this guide's count): There's a data pack in a room that I had to enter using a duct from above. There's a security station right next to it that I can hack with the code "carcrash" but I don't know what it opens?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Jetfire posted:

Something I came across while doing the data pack sweep: In the Royal Hotel's parking garage (Data Pack 15-8 by this guide's count): There's a data pack in a room that I had to enter using a duct from above. There's a security station right next to it that I can hack with the code "carcrash" but I don't know what it opens?

'Batman: Arkham Carcrash' confirmed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jetfire posted:

It either opens the intended way to that objective (you came in from the wrong direction because you had more equipment later in the game), or it's a means to get to another one of the things you were sweeping through for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure if anyone shared this yet, but someone made an Easter Eggs compilation of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pcZTqHik1o

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It either opens the intended way to that objective (you came in from the wrong direction because you had more equipment later in the game), or it's a means to get to another one of the things you were sweeping through for.

Bah, oh well. Oh by the way, holy poo poo what a bad idea to go into the Hotel again. Hey, there's only one route through and you have to go all the way back to the beginning to get out, unless I'm missing something? The end of the level is locked off and when you're grappling between the two towers the game doesn't let you just glide away into the city.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jetfire posted:

Bah, oh well. Oh by the way, holy poo poo what a bad idea to go into the Hotel again. Hey, there's only one route through and you have to go all the way back to the beginning to get out, unless I'm missing something? The end of the level is locked off and when you're grappling between the two towers the game doesn't let you just glide away into the city.

You're not missing anything. It makes you appreciate all the planning that went into avoiding that sort of outcome in AA and AC- the interiors of the areas in all of those games were partially built to minimize backtracking after collectibles are obtained.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not missing anything. It makes you appreciate all the planning that went into avoiding that sort of outcome in AA and AC- the interiors of the areas in all of those games were partially built to minimize backtracking after collectibles are obtained.

Eh. None of the games are particularly strong in this aspect. AA isn't much better, Medical sucks, Intensive Care sucks. AC just doesn't have a ton of big indoor areas to begin with, but the Museum isn't great, and neither was Wonder City.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Crackbone posted:

Disregarding the bugs, after playing through most of Origins, my impression is Arkham City, but more annoying. I can't really place my finger on it but the design seems sloppier.

I have a feeling it's mostly the grapple zooming. It feels very sloppy on what you can't and can boost. It gets annoying really quickly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Toffile posted:

Eh. None of the games are particularly strong in this aspect. AA isn't much better, Medical sucks, Intensive Care sucks. AC just doesn't have a ton of big indoor areas to begin with, but the Museum isn't great, and neither was Wonder City.

I loving HATED Wonder City solely for the fact that the last robot I had to find was nigh impossible to find on my own.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Speaking of Wonder City, I've always wondered (ha ha) what's up with that place and I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

There's the occasional thug voice clip about how he remembers hearing about it at school, but it's just this giant half broken place utterly abandoned except for the (Arkham City spoilers)ninja clans and autonomous steampunk robots and immortality goo and all this stuff just papered over by Gotham's crappy subway system. Heck Wonder Tower is still huge and sticking up in the center of the city. I don't know really anything about Batman comics, but is there really just this magical steampunk hideout right in the middle of Gotham that nobody bothers to talk about or investigate?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mzbundifund posted:

Speaking of Wonder City, I've always wondered (ha ha) what's up with that place and I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

There's the occasional thug voice clip about how he remembers hearing about it at school, but it's just this giant half broken place utterly abandoned except for the (Arkham City spoilers)ninja clans and autonomous steampunk robots and immortality goo and all this stuff just papered over by Gotham's crappy subway system. Heck Wonder Tower is still huge and sticking up in the center of the city. I don't know really anything about Batman comics, but is there really just this magical steampunk hideout right in the middle of Gotham that nobody bothers to talk about or investigate?
They made up Wonder City for the game, I don't think it was ever in the comics.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Wonder city did feel like a nod to Gotham by Gaslight since one of the villians in that built advanced 19th century robots with very similar aethetics to AC's derelict guardians. It was also very steampunky at times too.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 28, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pablo Gigante posted:

They made up Wonder City for the game, I don't think it was ever in the comics.

Correct. The geography of the Arkham games is somewhat different from what's in the usual Batman universe. That they made stuff up isn't really surprising.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I started Arkham City ages ago and decided to start playing it again, in the meantime I got upgraded to the GotY edition so I landed myself that kickass Batman Beyond skin.

I heard you can't use it in the story until you beat it, is there any way around this?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
They should have stuck to being able to pick your skin before trying New Game Plus instead of having to go to your batsuit chamber to change. The suit resets back to the original everytime you load the game in New Game Plus.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zedd posted:

I started Arkham City ages ago and decided to start playing it again, in the meantime I got upgraded to the GotY edition so I landed myself that kickass Batman Beyond skin.

I heard you can't use it in the story until you beat it, is there any way around this?

There is. There's a Konami-code-esque thing you can do at the title sequence to enable alternate skins before you finish the game, you can google it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zedd posted:

Either wait until New Game Plus or use this cheat on the main menu: Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
One area I feel that's not been developed enough for Batman games is the actual crime solving and story stuff - I actually would like to see a Telltale games type of take on Batman.

Bonus points for being episodic and having lots of cliffhangers. :ohdear:

Also, a 'last of us' treatment of Batman would be great - every part of the game's construction serves the story.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Mzbundifund posted:

Solve the riddles down there and you'll get the full story of it IIRC, Ra's built it and powered all the steampunky poo poo via lazarus pit for reasons and then said gently caress it, and tore it down

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I did get the riddles and read what it said, my question was just why didn't anyone look at wonder tower and ever decide to like, see what was in the basement? It's not like wonder city is well-hidden, there's a big ol' obvious door that anyone with a blowtorch and the land rights could get through in less than a day. Also while you're down there it's pretty obvious that wonder city used to be common knowledge, and not THAT long ago. I feel like if a magical underground steampunk robot suburb that had its own newspaper suddenly collapsed the people of the same city wouldn't have just forgotten all about it in the span of a single generation, and might, y'know, be mildly curious to see why it collapsed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I did get the riddles and read what it said, my question was just why didn't anyone look at wonder tower and ever decide to like, see what was in the basement? It's not like wonder city is well-hidden, there's a big ol' obvious door that anyone with a blowtorch and the land rights could get through in less than a day. Also while you're down there it's pretty obvious that wonder city used to be common knowledge, and not THAT long ago. I feel like if a magical underground steampunk robot suburb that had its own newspaper suddenly collapsed the people of the same city wouldn't have just forgotten all about it in the span of a single generation, and might, y'know, be mildly curious to see why it collapsed.

It was multiple generations. Pre-Solomon Wayne at the least.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Plus everyone who lived there went crazy. And odds are that Ra's still owns that property.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Skoll posted:

^

Pretty much the most tedious fight of the entire series.

Okay, so there isn't more to that fight than that. I thought it was one of the dumbest and boring boss battles of the entire game but earlier in the thread people were praising it as something amazing and groundbreaking.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought it was a fun boss fight because it's fast paced in just a one-on-one fight where you counter at the appropriate time while punching. You can do the fight methodically if you want, but just going the gently caress in there and trying to beat him in a fist fight is amazing and makes the fight intense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Plus everyone who lived there went crazy. And odds are that Ra's still owns that property.

I think it's also implied the Lazarus Pit is the reason for crime in Gotham, since it causes abnormalities in the mind.

So Strange is even more of an idiot because he's literally working with the guy who caused all of the craziness in the city. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 28, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While suffering from the new endgame-breaking bug, I decided to start up an "easy" game, blow through it, and get the achievements for doing the Deathstroke and Shiva fights with no damage. And I got them. Yay!

Then I decided to do some challenge maps. Except none of the inputs worked. I could rotate the camera, and the left mouse button made Batman throw a concussion grenade. Nothing else did anything. At least I could still bring up the esc menu. Then I tried opening the game again and ran into the same problem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You don't have a gamepad plugged in, do you? If not, verify your cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've noticed that sometimes, when you're playing on Steam, there will be some kind of weird glitch that caused every command to get set to "Left Mouse Button".

• Locked thread