Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That was the one thing that the first game kinda got right that they never really came back to, the whole piecing together your plan of attack and escape route by gathering information or bribing the right people. For better or worse, those parts get blended into the story more (ie, Leonardo in 2).

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

John Murdoch posted:

That was the one thing that the first game kinda got right that they never really came back to, the whole piecing together your plan of attack and escape route by gathering information or bribing the right people. For better or worse, those parts get blended into the story more (ie, Leonardo in 2).

I much prefer it that way. Forcing me to do something takes the fun out of it. Plus it was the same, bullshit, over and over, and over.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The actual means of gathering assassination information were repetitive, often intentionally redundant without making it clear that that was the case, and was the awkward layer in-between gathering viewpoints (which could already get tedious) and doing actual mission content. But I was more referring to the general idea of planning your assassinations in advance and having different approaches to handle your target, ala Hitman. The mission design actually got more clunky, linear, and scripted, and I still feel like that's the main thing holding the series back, as much as you could say it's being held back.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

The actual means of gathering assassination information were repetitive, often intentionally redundant without making it clear that that was the case, and was the awkward layer in-between gathering viewpoints (which could already get tedious) and doing actual mission content. But I was more referring to the general idea of planning your assassinations in advance and having different approaches to handle your target, ala Hitman. The mission design actually got more clunky, linear, and scripted, and I still feel like that's the main thing holding the series back, as much as you could say it's being held back.

If anything is holding the series back, it's that whichever character you play feels more like an errand boy doing other people's jobs like in every other open-ended videogame and less like a professional killer meticulously planning his wetwork. At least Altair's organization had official buildings and some semblance of structure instead of every shady faction in the game somehow being the good guys and the real monsters are the ones in authority.

I have never touched a soccer game before but if that were a game mode I'd pick it up today.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In the original Thief if you jump while running the momentum gained by jumping stays constant instead of decreasing back to your normal running speed. So if you run and jump in a straight line enough times you can build up enough speed to kill yourself by running into a wall. :)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

That makes sense. I'm also playing through to see glitches, but so far there has only been 2, one when I killed a guard on a wire in Brotherhood that made him stretch to the ground and in Revelations (just now) where someone I was supposed to be following kept running backwards.

It's a great series, don't spoil it, but I'm really looking forward to why desmond killed Lucy

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Soulex posted:

It's a great series, don't spoil it, but I'm really looking forward to why desmond killed Lucy

Contractual obligations :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Soulex posted:

I'm also playing through to see glitches, but so far there has only been 2, one when I killed a guard on a wire in Brotherhood that made him stretch to the ground and in Revelations (just now) where someone I was supposed to be following kept running backwards.

Just wait until you get to 3! Over a year later it's still hilariously unpolished at points. I just failed an eavesdropping mission a couple of times for various reasons involving the same 2 guards. Several times despite the fact they're supposed to be walking, having a conversation together they bumped into each other, got turned around and spotted me. Another time one got suspicious of me while the other kept on his route, and amazingly the two kept up their conversation despite not even being in earshot of each other. And of course I'll never get tired of citizens violently shoving past each other for no reason.

Overall it's a bit of a shame really as there are some great improvements to the engine and they've all gone to waste.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soulex posted:

Prepare to be disappointed.

By everything until 4 really.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Soulex posted:

That makes sense. I'm also playing through to see glitches, but so far there has only been 2, one when I killed a guard on a wire in Brotherhood that made him stretch to the ground and in Revelations (just now) where someone I was supposed to be following kept running backwards.

Because Kristen Bell's contract was up.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

^^^ suddenly it makes sense.

The series is fun, glitches are part of it. Cept when it prevents me from going further in the mission.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Soulex posted:

Kristen Bell got more famous and her contract was up for renewal.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

RatHat posted:

Assassin's Creed 4 has a similar glitch.
Stolen from the Ass4 thread.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Oh god Edward what is wrong with your teeth!? :stonklol:

As far as AC glitches I've encountered personally, I've had the endlessly multiplying rooftop guard in Brotherhood (I think I may have mentioned it in this thread before), and a body skidding around crazily on the ground which had me in tears in Black Flag. There's also some pictures I took from the Tyranny of King Washington that I have to upload later.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The great thing about AC is you can write off any glitches as the Animus and it doesn't ruin your immersion.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

Kristen Bell got more famous and her contract was up for renewal.
I don't get this, what happened between 2008 and 2010 that made her MORE famous for her not to consider staying around? She was already a thing even before 2007. Veronica Mars finished in 07 and that's the biggest thing I remember her in.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I was jumping on the roof-tops, when all of a sudden the alert goes off I try to find the snitch and lo and be-hold a pair of angry arms sticking out from the roof across from me as I turn the camera.

I killed the poo poo out of that roof. :colbert:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Croccers posted:

I don't get this, what happened between 2008 and 2010 that made her MORE famous for her not to consider staying around? She was already a thing even before 2007. Veronica Mars finished in 07 and that's the biggest thing I remember her in.

Are you forgetting Sarah Marshall? :smug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Action Tortoise posted:

Are you forgetting Sarah Marshall? :smug:

Which is funny because her character in that film is an actress who gets the career rug pulled out from under her and despairs over what kind of work she'll have to do next.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Croccers posted:

She had a pretty big role in Heroes in that time.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Here's a couple of dudes playing really bad and broken [thing] simulator games.

Jerma plays Police Force and gets punished for arresting an innocent by getting teleported under the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_TL_7rc7do

Vinesauce's Vinny flips planes and drives around bald men in Airport Simulator 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPjn4EAnCg

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

Jerma plays Police Force and gets punished for arresting an innocent by getting teleported under the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_TL_7rc7do
There's a Police Force 2 too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_OJ2HCDHM

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Waymoby shows the exciting new trailer of a game called RV2 with Robin Williams!

http://youtu.be/R82RuWkyzrM

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
You don't have to have played Dark Souls to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVRbV41oZDc#t=1h42m30s

(You may have to copy and paste the link, or you can skip ahead to 1:42:30. I'm having issues creating the specific link and I'm tired and going to bed now.)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RillAkBea posted:

Having just marathoned AssCreed:Rev, it's actually just so nice to see some kind of positive emotion on an assassins face.

Edit: And just starting AssCreed3, I see they've overhauled the facial animation system to give you even more technologically impressive angst faces. Woo.

Make sure you do the Homestead missions in AC3 when you get to them. They're optional but they add way more characterization to Connor and flesh out the game world itself. 3 was a good game, it just took way too long to get going and as a result most people skipped the really fun optional poo poo.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

sticklefifer posted:

Make sure you do the Homestead missions in AC3 when you get to them. They're optional but they add way more characterization to Connor and flesh out the game world itself. 3 was a good game, it just took way too long to get going and as a result most people skipped the really fun optional poo poo.
This man speaks truth. 3 gets a lot of undeserved hate, simply because many of the players played the first two hours, decided it was too slow for their liking and gave up, or just tried to get through it for the sake of doing it. There's pith there, it just takes a while to get to it. :smith:

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie
I haven't been seeing AC4 glitches as amazing as some of the ones posted, but I got this when I logged out of the Animus tonight.

Either this dude has glutes of steel or he's getting some strange results from the Bleeding Effect.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcV9uIY5i4

TASBot works magic at Awesome Games Done Quick 2014.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Anatharon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcV9uIY5i4

TASBot works magic at Awesome Games Done Quick 2014.

What is going on there.... what just happened?

...and how does that count as beating the game?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

GreatGreen posted:

It doesn't. There's a category of runs for cool glitches like that. This is obviously taking the glitch to an extreme. See the original Super Mario World run. This one technically completes the game, although it doesn't become the canonical run since it heavily breaks the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHErkex2tXg

http://tasvideos.org/3957S.html

There was an earlier version of this run that went to "THE END" instead of going to the credits.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

GreatGreen posted:

All that messing around spitting stuff all over the place and glitching question mark blocks was to input the machine code for those simple Pong and Snake games. Check the description and spongeh's link for a more technically precise explanation.

Hamiltonian Bicycle has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jan 6, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

All that messing around spitting stuff all over the place and glitching question mark blocks was to input the machine code for those simple Pong and Snake games. Check the description and spongeh's link for a more technically precise explanation.

This would have made The Matrix way better if instead of having the dudes in the ship being able to hack things for them, Neo and company had to do all kinds of silly crazy poo poo in order to mimic certain inputs of code.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lobok posted:

This would have made The Matrix way better if instead of having the dudes in the ship being able to hack things for them, Neo and company had to do all kinds of silly crazy poo poo in order to mimic certain inputs of code.

You would still be able to take it more seriously than Revolutions.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lobok posted:

'Neo. Strip.'
'uhhhh why'
'When two men have sex the matrix slightly bends and corrupts, allowing us to spawn guns from middair.'

'That makes no loving sense.'

'Why do you think it's stigmatized then?'

'Woah'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"In that case, I need guns. LOTS OF GUNS."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
*cue fist-in-and-out-of-mayonnaise-jar sound effect*

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Gaytrix :cool:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Congratulations, you guys have remade Saints Row 4.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I think it was to actually get the game into a state that controller input is overwriting the actual game code, and then that is used to write the Pong and Snake games.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Zereth posted:

I think it was to actually get the game into a state that controller input is overwriting the actual game code, and then that is used to write the Pong and Snake games.

Oh, yeah, looks like that's it. And they used all 8 controllers to get the bandwidth up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zereth posted:

Yeah, as soon as the game freezes, the display to the right fills up with thousands of button presses from eight seperate controllers. That's where all the programing happened.