Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

adorai posted:

Just deploy vdi and treat the network outside the datacenter just as you would the internet.

This, pretty much. Don't let private devices on the private network or domain. Firewall it all off except for a few points of entry, like VDI. If they need to access any company resources they need to do it from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah in most my VDI designs I've always designed it for something where anything outside the connection/security servers are where I can't always trust the traffic.

But VDI is awesome.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How expensive is VDI? How is it compared to Citrix, and Microsoft solutions?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
My rough guess for 2 solid hosts, a SAN, and a couple gigabit switches would be around $50-70k? VDI as a platform can be free if you need it to be but obviously something like a VMWare license will cost you

edit: im talking out of my rear end re: speccing out a VDI infrastructure. DAF would probably have an estimate based on reality

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 28, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

How expensive is VDI? How is it compared to Citrix, and Microsoft solutions?

Not sure what you mean. Citrix on top of VMware works best but you can got horizon view for the cheap if you just tell your rep about thinking of going with citrix. Personally I like view a bit over citrix but eh...

VDI, ground up can run you anywhere from 550-700 dollars per desktop. While dell will probably offer you something like 400 for a mass order of Desktops. The cost savings of VDI isn't in the initial cost of a virtual desktop but of the TCO/ROI of a desktop.

You need to look at the things such as;
What is the cost of when a user is down for Desktop issues? Time IT spends, user cost for being down, and loss of revenue to the company? VDI can make it as simple as replacing a zero client or rebooting a desktop.

What is the savings in costs for IT to refresh an environment, in VDI it could be done with zero down time. As oppose to spending time upgrading workstations, spending IT cost time and company money to do so.

If you work further zero clients can actually work as tax breaks for you company as you could say you are "going green" depends on the state.

Data integrity is secured because you can architect it to where nothing leaves the datacenter. Worried about drunkass leaving his laptop with corporate data somewhere? you can secure most of it. That and a mobile work force.

And lastly, you can update the corporate image for EVERYONE in the company without deviation.

tl;dr Look at the long term cost of a desktop and then look at benefits of a Virtual Machine

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 28, 2013

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The worst commute I ever had was over a decade ago when I was in manufacturing:

Commutes aint poo poo until you need to get a boat involved.

Edit: Working with infant abduction systems, I spent 3 years with a commute of either LA to the Bay Area or Las Vegas ~60% of the time. My personal record was 8 consecutive weeks of showing up for work Monday, getting on a plane, then getting home Friday. Plus on call rotation.

Posted a while ago, is infant abduction systems as :pedo: as it sounds?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sepist posted:

I don't miss this commute

My 5 mile commute by side road is a huge quality of life boost.

I used to commute from Southold to Amagansett and back every day. That's 2 ferries each way. It took between 1.5-2 hours each way depending on how I hit said ferries.

My morning commute is still sometimes about an hour depending on what client I'm seeing first, but it's on the subway so I just get to read the whole time. It's only about half an hour to the main office.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

psydude posted:

In this case, you'd instead use a layer 2 (switched) solution. You'd probably have a core switch like a 6500 or 4500 in your server room, and 3560s or 2960s (depending on your needs) at the edge in your switch closets. Your core and edge/access layer switches would be connected via short-range fiber and your workstations, phones, and servers would connect through Cat5e/Cat6. You would then separate each floor into its own VLAN with some rules permitting access to shared resources (file servers, DNS, domain controllers, etc.). Logical separation could be maintained to the outside by using a firewall with multiple virtual IPs. Routers would only be used for internet connectivity or for WAN links if you were connecting to another site. And 6500s and 4500s can handle most routing functions themselves.

All of this also depends on if this is a new building or old. We run one of the largest Tier 1 fiber networks in the world, but all our phone systems are still physical cable cross connects that require punching.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah in most my VDI designs I've always designed it for something where anything outside the connection/security servers are where I can't always trust the traffic.

But VDI is awesome.

You can't trust BYOD unless you enforce your AV and other security policies on the devices, so thats why it makes sense to wall them off. Treat them like they are from the internet.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Thanks for the advice guys. I tense up when I see bad DNS packets. I got locked in my building once playing detective work when someone tried to hit me with a DHCP exhaust. I'm going to have to negotiate for spa/massage coupons at my review this year :smith:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

You can't trust BYOD unless you enforce your AV and other security policies on the devices, so thats why it makes sense to wall them off. Treat them like they are from the internet.

vShield does a good job at the hypervisor level, scans the virtual HDD adapter and can even delete thing if copied to the desk top.

I expect A/V is a common practice... so I didn't mention it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

I expect A/V is a common practice... so I didn't mention it.
He means that if Joe Salesguy is allowed to bring in his own Asus Netbook to work on, you don't necessarily have control over his AV so you can't trust his workstation.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Well, that's what NAP is for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jeoh posted:

Nap is too underused. Its what it was made for.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

You can't trust BYOD

Fixed.

BYOD is stupid.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Jeoh posted:

The strangers who come into my building tend to be some of the most important people. Is NAP as much of a liability as I have been lead to believe? I don't have staff to deal with the limited access zone loving up on weekends

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Selklubber posted:

Posted a while ago, is infant abduction systems as :pedo: as it sounds?

No. 90% of hospital infant abductions are either custody disputes (vast majority either parent v parent or parent v state that says you're an unfit parent), crazy woman who can't have kids goes shopping, and mom kidnaps own kid to blame dad and get him in trouble. The remainder are ransoms and/or weird 1off situations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Why the gently caress does having Intel Matrix Store (or RST) prevent Windows Update from working or IE from downloading executables?

(Not sure if this is the right thread for this bug GOD loving drat THIS poo poo, took me hours to diagnose on a laptop.)

fake edit: On the plus side, it's probably the cleanest Windows install ever, having run 9 different scanners and scrubbers and checking everything else.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Paladine_PSoT posted:

No. 90% of hospital infant abductions are either custody disputes (vast majority either parent v parent or parent v state that says you're an unfit parent), crazy woman who can't have kids goes shopping, and mom kidnaps own kid to blame dad and get him in trouble. The remainder are ransoms and/or weird 1off situations.

Ah so it's an Infant Abduction Prevention System, rather than a system designed to facilitate the abduction of infants.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Carpet posted:

Yeah, 1987 knew what was up

(from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSueEm2Cw28

There's a whole load of these on Youtube - show ran from 1983 to 2002)

Just wanted to say, thanks for this. I love watching old stuff like this to see how far we've come. It's been pretty slow at work today so I've been watching these as I image some systems for the new Wound Care expansion we're prepping.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Anyone ever use OSX server? Thinking about standing one up to get WSUS like capability for the Apple computers at work. It's got some sort of caching service.

We've had one sitting around for a while now and it's just been the last few months that I've gotten some time to play with it. My main goal has been to get it set up as a deployment server for our OSX machines. I went with DeployStudio since we're in education and have no money and it seems to have a large following. It was a pretty straightforward installation and while we haven't done any "real" deployments yet all the test deployments I've done have worked great. It seems to give a lot of configuration options. I turned on app caching about a month ago and it seems to be running fine as well. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of options available for it though. All you can really do is set the total cache size. You can't tell it to dedicate a certain amount to only iOS apps or only OSX apps, etc.; or have it retain or delete specific apps. Currently I'm playing around with Profile Manager to see what kind of options we have for workstation management. We also have Remote Desktop which we might use in the future for mass software deployment. I'd be interested in hearing from others who may be in a similar situation with a predominately Exchange/AD/Windows environment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The time between Christmas and New Years sucks for job hunting I have found out.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

The time between Christmas and New Years sucks for job hunting I have found out.

I got an interview for a higher level position than I applied for :colbert:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Nice dude!

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Last day of my contract is here, and it hasn't been renewed yet, so I'm operating under the assumption that today is my last day. I've gotten all my outstanding tasks completed, and my projects that weren't already shelved for the holidays have been documented. I'd do more of a hand-off to someone, except the only other person here on my team is in the same contract-ending-today predicament.

I get the feeling that this isn't what the company wants - having the two contractors (that have been outperforming the permanent employees by a significant margin on a consistent basis) leave. Our direct manager left at the beginning of December to head up the InfoSec department at another company, leaving us with the senior member of the team supervising us on a de facto basis, and the director/VP nominally managing us. The problem is our senior guy isn't a manager (and can't do manager tasks like do HR paperwork) and our director is so hands-off when it comes to day-to-day operations. Our contracts aren't expiring because the company doesn't need us, want us, like our work, etc. Our contracts are expiring because nobody is at the helm and steering the process. The fact that it's the holidays doesn't help - there hasn't been a day when both senior and director have been in the office at the same time since like December 16th.

Some possible scenarios:
1. Division head wakes up in January, realizes his staff has been cut, and starts watching SLA's slip now that the two most productive members of his division are gone, hires us back.
2. One of my contacts from elsewhere in the company gets me a job on their team. Possibly preferable, considering the lack of organization in my current department.
3. This job gets used as a stepping stone to a better one elsewhere.

Truthfully, the only disappointment here is that I liked this company and job, and genuinely enjoyed the work I was doing and the difference I made. To see that go down the tubes, not due to poor performance or dissatisfaction, but simply because someone isn't managing my team properly, that's pretty disheartening.

(I might be a little bitter that the underperforming 'permanent' employees will come back on Thursday to a nice job whereas the two overperforming 'contract' employees get to stay home. That will annoy me for some time.)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

wintermuteCF posted:

Last day of my contract is here, and it hasn't been renewed yet, so I'm operating under the assumption that today is my last day. I've gotten all my outstanding tasks completed, and my projects that weren't already shelved for the holidays have been documented. I'd do more of a hand-off to someone, except the only other person here on my team is in the same contract-ending-today predicament.

I get the feeling that this isn't what the company wants - having the two contractors (that have been outperforming the permanent employees by a significant margin on a consistent basis) leave. Our direct manager left at the beginning of December to head up the InfoSec department at another company, leaving us with the senior member of the team supervising us on a de facto basis, and the director/VP nominally managing us. The problem is our senior guy isn't a manager (and can't do manager tasks like do HR paperwork) and our director is so hands-off when it comes to day-to-day operations. Our contracts aren't expiring because the company doesn't need us, want us, like our work, etc. Our contracts are expiring because nobody is at the helm and steering the process. The fact that it's the holidays doesn't help - there hasn't been a day when both senior and director have been in the office at the same time since like December 16th.

Some possible scenarios:
1. Division head wakes up in January, realizes his staff has been cut, and starts watching SLA's slip now that the two most productive members of his division are gone, hires us back.
2. One of my contacts from elsewhere in the company gets me a job on their team. Possibly preferable, considering the lack of organization in my current department.
3. This job gets used as a stepping stone to a better one elsewhere.

Truthfully, the only disappointment here is that I liked this company and job, and genuinely enjoyed the work I was doing and the difference I made. To see that go down the tubes, not due to poor performance or dissatisfaction, but simply because someone isn't managing my team properly, that's pretty disheartening.

(I might be a little bitter that the underperforming 'permanent' employees will come back on Thursday to a nice job whereas the two overperforming 'contract' employees get to stay home. That will annoy me for some time.)

My contract expired today. Thankfully I can use New Year's Eve as an excuse to hide mopey drinking with party drinking.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

May be renewed after the holiday week, my contract is 8 month instead of 6 month for this reason and budget alignment.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

wintermuteCF posted:

Just apply for a permanent position somewhere?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

"Oh, look - my rate seems to have increased by 25% due to unforeseen and unanticipated overhead costs. We probably could have avoided all that if you'd simply continued our previous employment agreement, but oh well. Happy New Year!"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I can top that, I've been offered a higher level position than I interviewed for. I took it too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I can top that, I've been offered a higher level position than I interviewed for. I took it too.

Congrats! :guinness:

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Congrats mllaneza and Paladine_PSOT :)

This is my last week at current job, starting the new one on the 13th.

I'm going from Systems Engineer to Senior Systems Engineer (at a new workplace), with better money and hours. Pretty pumped.

Loten fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So apparently a few(many to all) of the VMware/net/storage engineers I was working with at my last job; are now asking me about looking for other jobs.

I don't know weather to take this as a good thing or bad thing; but I find it oddly funny.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 6, 2014

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

How much should a "Basic Understanding of Linux" job requirement make me reconsider applying? Let's say it's in some kind of NOC at some kind of service provider and I'm looking for entry level technician work. I have absolutely 0 experience with any type of unix in my personal or professional life but my first ever computer ran 4DOS (I was like 8 years old) and my dad wouldn't let me use windows until I learned it. Cisco CLI was pretty easy to pick up as well.

What does a reasonable "basic understanding" of Linux entail for entry level support work? Mostly just shell stuff or something a little more complex?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Entry level surely entails not being scared by a command line and the ability to enter commands stored in documentation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

Entry level surely entails not being scared by a command line and the ability to enter commands stored in documentation.

"unpack this archive"

"edit /foo/bar.conf and set SOME_PARM=0xf3"

"set permissions to read-only for user foo"

"create a user foo and add them to the bar group"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Reiz posted:

How much should a "Basic Understanding of Linux" job requirement make me reconsider applying? Let's say it's in some kind of NOC at some kind of service provider and I'm looking for entry level technician work. I have absolutely 0 experience with any type of unix in my personal or professional life but my first ever computer ran 4DOS (I was like 8 years old) and my dad wouldn't let me use windows until I learned it. Cisco CLI was pretty easy to pick up as well.

What does a reasonable "basic understanding" of Linux entail for entry level support work? Mostly just shell stuff or something a little more complex?

Basically, "can you use a PC without a gui?". I'd imagine they's also want you to know a text editor like vi/nano on how to open a config file or make a new one; as well as understanding how to traverse the file structure.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Caged posted:

Awesome. I could handle this +some pretty easily unless there's some weird fundamental difference in Linux file system structure that I would have to wrap my head around.

Another question: I happened upon a really awesome healthcare IT job website while browsing this thread or possibly the IT Certifications thread. I know healthcare IT isn't recommended but I'm mainly looking to become gainfully employed and obtain relevant experience, and I'm fairly confident in my ability to deal with annoying medical staff after spending so much time dealing with annoying executive chefs and customers.

I've googled it a few times but all the results I get seem like Indeed.com-esque listings of job searches but with a "healthcare" search filter. The website I'm remembering seemed much more official, anyone have any ideas?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Reiz posted:

I'm fairly confident in my ability to deal with annoying medical staff
The medical staff are the smallest problem in healthcare IT. The mountain of red tape surrounding HIPAA compliance and state PII laws, along with the completely nonexistent technology budgets for most hospitals and clinics, makes up the bulk of it. The complete inability to meaningfully update and secure any medical device due to FDA rules, and the hoops you have to jump through to secure your network against malware and theft of patient data in spite of that restriction, is most of what's left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In either case, just remember to define what you'd class as too stressful and make a note of it before you start making excuses along the lines of "ah it's only two fingers of whisky before bed".

I wouldn't say doing healthcare IT looks bad on a resume, it's better than a gap.

• Locked thread