Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried explaining that to the store? A week sounds weird unless it's something they are trying to squeeze in around other stuff. If you tell them you can bring it in with a days notice and are happy to wait around for an hour or so while they do it then I'm sure they will be able to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

awesome-express posted:

So, my 2011 MBA is telling me to service the battery (got Applecare until mid 2014), and the genius bar told me I'd have to leave it at the store at least for a week to get the battery swapped. Now since this is my main work laptop (I work from home), and I always have poo poo to do, leaving it at the store for a week is impossible. Erm, what are my options?

Buy a 2013, abuse generous return policy

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Morales posted:

Buy a 2013, abuse generous return policy

That's exactly what I was going to say. But try Caged's suggestion first.

Also be very careful not to spill anything on your "rental"!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Another thing you can do is try another Apple Store / AASP that can do that for you on the same day, as another goon in this thread already did, if there are multiple ones near you.

Once again its important to remember not all Fruit Stands have the same level of competency; they may be quoting you a week because they have a huge backlog of cases and/or they don't have it in stock, or even Apple might be out of stock of them, which can definitely happen.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
A few places are reporting that the CPU in the Trash Bin Pro is removable.

MacRumors posted:

Using a removable socketed processor rather than the soldered processors found in most of Apple's Macs means that users may be able to upgrade their machines in the future as their needs change and/or chip prices decline.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/27/new-mac-pro-confirmed-to-have-removable-cpu/

Someone clearly does not understand how Intel prices the professional line...

Edit: I made the mistake of reading the comments on that thread, and it made me truly appreciate the number of smart and knowledgeable people we have on SHSC. :suicide:

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 28, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mayodreams posted:

A few places are reporting that the CPU in the Trash Bin Pro is removable.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/27/new-mac-pro-confirmed-to-have-removable-cpu/

Someone clearly does not understand how Intel prices the professional line...

Edit: I made the mistake of reading the comments on that thread, and it made me truly appreciate the number of smart and knowledgeable people we have on SHSC. :suicide:

Intel doesn't drop prices pretty much ever after launch; remember it costs them about the price of a dinner at Applebee's to produce a single Haswell. After recouping R&D/capital expenses, it's a money fountain.

Though, even if they are replaceable, it's a moot point if BIOS won't run outside of a few specific CPUs. Apple has in-house BIOS/EFI developers, so they can do whatever they want.

They could even throw in a whitelist for PCIe devices if they wanted (though now that I think about it, there's no place to put cards inside)

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

awesome-express posted:

So, my 2011 MBA is telling me to service the battery (got Applecare until mid 2014), and the genius bar told me I'd have to leave it at the store at least for a week to get the battery swapped. Now since this is my main work laptop (I work from home), and I always have poo poo to do, leaving it at the store for a week is impossible. Erm, what are my options?

That's hosed because battery replacements should be done same day if the part is in stock. Did they say they needed to order a battery?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

1997 posted:

That's hosed because battery replacements should be done same day if the part is in stock. Did they say they needed to order a battery?

Nope, they told me battery replacements take at least a week. Got the same reply at the Covent Garden and Oxford Circus stores. I seriously don't know wtf. Don't battery replacements take like 30 minutes to complete? My Applecare runs out in November, and I'd love to get battery fixed before that happens. :(

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 28, 2013

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I just looked at the support article for battery replacements and it says it may be able to be done same day. I remember it showing that they were all same day repairs. Lame.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Talked to a contact at a greater NYC area AASP, seems that both 11-inch and 13-inch MBA 2011/2012 batteries show as OUT OF STOCK at Apple depots, might have to wait for Apple to get them in.

Wouldn't trust a third party battery, one guy brought in an 2010 13-inch MBA battery where the company claimed it was brand new, looked new, but had 239 load cycles according to Battery and Adapter Diagnostics.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

awesome-express posted:

Nope, they told me battery replacements take at least a week. Got the same reply at the Covent Garden and Oxford Circus stores. I seriously don't know wtf. Don't battery replacements take like 30 minutes to complete? My Applecare runs out in November, and I'd love to get battery fixed before that happens. :(

There's tons of AASPs in London who can probably be more flexible than a store in terms of not wanting to take your laptop off you for a week.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

movax posted:

Intel doesn't drop prices pretty much ever after launch; remember it costs them about the price of a dinner at Applebee's to produce a single Haswell. After recouping R&D/capital expenses, it's a money fountain.

Though, even if they are replaceable, it's a moot point if BIOS won't run outside of a few specific CPUs. Apple has in-house BIOS/EFI developers, so they can do whatever they want.

They could even throw in a whitelist for PCIe devices if they wanted (though now that I think about it, there's no place to put cards inside)

That is precisely my point. Mac bloggers don't understand the real workstation situation. There were idiots in there saying RAM would get cheaper over time too. My experience is that is NOT the case with ECC/Registered RAM. In the more recent Mac Pros, the CPU's didn't have the heat spreader and idiots cracked the die trying to replace them. I think even Anand did on his first try, and if it can happen to him, scrubs buying an expensive pretty looking Mac are doomed.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I bought a 13" rMBP yesterday, and this screen, holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

esperantinc posted:

I bought a 13" rMBP yesterday, and this screen, holy poo poo. :eyepop:

It sure is a beauty, isn't it? I saw a couple of reviews that mentioned the 13-inch rMBP's screen covers 93.6% of the sRGB gamut, making the screen very color accurate right out of the box with only minimal calibration needed.

It makes video playback look even better, the colors pop even when watching some old Remastered Star Trek episodes on Netflix. I'm seeing details in Pacific Rim (the iTunes HD version) that I never even noticed at the IMAX showings. Text is so sharp it's a pleasure to read, and some PDF magazines look awesome.

Battery life is impressive too, even with peripherals attached.

Didja get the 4/128 or the 8/256? I went for the latter even though it was more expensive; I'dve gotten a 16 GB model but they said those were BTO only and I haven't got a pressing need to run memory hungry VMs at the moment.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 29, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
The screen is loving glorious. After months of research and hand-wringing, my partner got a 13" rMBP and she is just blown away by how clear and beautiful the text rendering is, which is great since all she does these days is read and write for her grad school poo poo.

Best laptop out there, I swear.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think "wait a week for the battery swap" is not cool. For something really fairly predictable and mundane like that you should be able to schedule a day where they have the part, a tech has set aside the time to do it, and you can drop it off in the morning and pick it up that evening.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Binary Badger posted:

Didja get the 4/128 or the 8/256? I went for the latter even though it was more expensive; I'dve gotten a 16 GB model but they said those were BTO only and I haven't got a pressing need to run memory hungry VMs at the moment.

Went 8/256. Overkill for what I'll use it for, but hey, future-proofing!

edit: You mentioned screen calibration. I'll google around as well, but do you have a recommended guide for this or anything?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The reviewers at NotebookCheck.net had this to say about the color accuracy of the 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP:

quote:

The color accuracy of our review unit is excellent, even without a calibration. The DeltaE deviations in the ColorChecker test are the lowest we ever measured. Therefore, the human eye should not see any differences between the displayed and the real color. Results for the grayscale presentation are not as good, but our i1Pro 2 measuring tool is less accurate at lower brightness settings. The sRGB color space is completely covered by the Retina display.

The screen calibrator they used is a professional $1,400 unit, but you can do it for free with SuperCal. There's also a totally free calibration routine built into the Displays prefpane (System Preferences > Display > Color > Calibrate) but the default profile in my admittedly ANECDOTAL experience is just fine for most purposes.

Thing is though, the default color rendering of the current rMBP display is so close to ideal out of the box that it simply may not be worth it, unless you are a graphic artist / photographer who really needs to do super exacting color editing.

You could also use an inexpensive calibrator that's less than $100 like the Spyder 4 Express but IMHO it's overkill, especially if all you plan to do is surf the web / games / media viewing and not graphic production.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

As far as calibration goes, that's pretty much better asked in the Monitors / Displays Megathread where there are more knowledgeable goons in this area.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Caged posted:

There's tons of AASPs in London who can probably be more flexible than a store in terms of not wanting to take your laptop off you for a week.

Will they not charge me for a battery replacement if it's covered by Applecare?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's in warranty then they can do the work and bill back to Apple - it's how it worked before there were stores everywhere. I got my MacBook top case replacement done back in 2007 by an AASP, they turned it around within a day and there was no charge.

These guys are in Islington, not a recommendation as I haven't used them.

http://www.mrsystems.co.uk/repair_centre.asp

Astr00
Mar 1, 2009
Hey goons, I could use some advice. I got the basic MacBook Air 13" for Christmas, and although I am in love with the little machine, I am starting to wonder if I would be even more in love with it if it had a retina screen. I am using it for web browsing, Spotify and some programming. I know I don't really need the added processor power of the rMBP 13", but I also know I would really appreciate the screen. I notice how poor the screen on the Air is just by going from my smartphone. Okay, yes, this is probably the best example of a first world problem, but is there anything about the rMBP that is worse than the Air, except the added weight, price and less battery life? I haven't been keeping up, and I'm just wondering if there are any known, major problems with the rMBP? Someone please talk me into or out of this, I can't really decide! :downs:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why don't you wait and see if the Air/Pro get merged or if the 12" Air comes out or whatever happens this summer?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Brand new Mac user here, used to be a hardcore PC user from day one. I just bought a used MBP 2010 model fro a friend who works at a school. I am completely blown away on how easy it is to use. I sold my Windows 8.1 Ultrabook that I paid $1400 and got this instead and I am satisified.I still like games on my PC a bi better.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Bob Morales posted:

Why don't you wait and see if the Air/Pro get merged or if the 12" Air comes out or whatever happens this summer?

This is not happening. Do not listen to this guy.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is there an ETA on when the new retinas should appear in the refurb store? I've been without a laptop for a few months now and I definitely need one by the fall since I'm going to go abroad for about a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After taxes it won't be much cheaper than just buying new from Amazon. The Refurbs are a really good deal after a new generation came out, but not for current ones.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you're in NJ amazon started charging tax in July. You can order from BH photo though and save money on state tax. They also have good prices on AppleCare.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FlashBangBob posted:

The 12" merge is much more likely than the Air/Pro merge. The Air form factor is coming up on six years old.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone know a cheaper version of these:

http://zenboxx.com

I'm basically looking to use it with something like this to create a simple docking solution for my rMBP 15. Although I just need MagSafe and thunderbolt

Basically I want a henge dock but updated for the new retina MacBooks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

FlashBangBob posted:

From the first few pages of this thread:

pokeyman posted:

If you need something, buy it. If it's updated this week, you can return and upgrade.

If you don't need it, wait until you do; guaranteed it'll be a better value than it is now. At worst, it's the same.

Nobody knows when Apple's going to do poo poo. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Listen to FBBob and pokeyman. Nobody knows what Apple will really do, not the ghost of Stebe summoned by making a ouija board out of the box for an old PowerMac G4 and using a NeXT mouse as the planchette, not Cringley or whomever is your favorite out-of-touch pundit, and especially not someone quoting some pie-in-the-sky rumors.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Astr00 posted:

Hey goons, I could use some advice. I got the basic MacBook Air 13" for Christmas, and although I am in love with the little machine, I am starting to wonder if I would be even more in love with it if it had a retina screen. I am using it for web browsing, Spotify and some programming. I know I don't really need the added processor power of the rMBP 13", but I also know I would really appreciate the screen. I notice how poor the screen on the Air is just by going from my smartphone. Okay, yes, this is probably the best example of a first world problem, but is there anything about the rMBP that is worse than the Air, except the added weight, price and less battery life? I haven't been keeping up, and I'm just wondering if there are any known, major problems with the rMBP? Someone please talk me into or out of this, I can't really decide! :downs:

I was at the same crossroads a few weeks ago, but I ultimately went with the rMBP because the screen was so clear.

There might have been some sporadic issues but in my anecdotal experience the rMBP specific version of OS X 10.9.1 cleaned up a lot of little niggling issues I had (sporadic lines appearing when scrolling up/down long web pages, crashes during paging up/down rows of picture previews in Finder, stuttering in some benchmarks, etc.)

People have been raving about the screen being crisp, for me it literally eliminates any eyestrain I used to have before. If you are a programmer, you will love being able to stare at pages of text for significantly longer periods without having to resort to Visine (although you should take regular breaks.) I just dabble, but IMHO it makes editing plists and shell code and the like much more productive, since I can keep at it longer.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 30, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Virtue posted:

Is there an ETA on when the new retinas should appear in the refurb store? I've been without a laptop for a few months now and I definitely need one by the fall since I'm going to go abroad for about a year.
It usually takes about 3 months.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Apple wouldn't refresh the Mac Mini's for Haswell / Iris Pro and leave off PCIe flash storage, would they?

I don't see where it would fit, but I figure they're cranking out PCIe SSD's for every other product they make so it'd be worth it to figure out.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 28, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you change the audio output device? (hold Alt and click the speaker icon in the menu bar). You won't see a slider for digital audio normally.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GregNorc posted:

Thanks... how do I set the playback device?

The HDMI cable arrived, and video works fine, but sound is coming from the speakers on the laptop. I went into System Preferences -> Sound, but the slider for the TV is greyed out. (I double checked, and the TV is not muted.)

It's a minidisplayport, on a 2010 Macbook pro.

Is this a setup issue, or do I need an audio cable as well?

Hold option and click the volume icon in the menu bar. One of the playback outputs should be your TV. The volume slider will be greyed out when outputting over HDMI since the system expects the TV to control the volume.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

carry on then posted:

Hold option and click the volume icon in the menu bar. One of the playback outputs should be your TV. The volume slider will be greyed out when outputting over HDMI since the system expects the TV to control the volume.

Thanks a ton, that fixed it!

Edit: Argh, it isn't working again. I hold option, click on volume, select sony tv for the output and it plays on the macbook.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 1, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

The reviewers at NotebookCheck.net had this to say about the color accuracy of the 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP:

The screen calibrator they used is a professional $1,400 unit, but you can do it for free with SuperCal. There's also a totally free calibration routine built into the Displays prefpane (System Preferences > Display > Color > Calibrate) but the default profile in my admittedly ANECDOTAL experience is just fine for most purposes.

Thing is though, the default color rendering of the current rMBP display is so close to ideal out of the box that it simply may not be worth it, unless you are a graphic artist / photographer who really needs to do super exacting color editing.

You could also use an inexpensive calibrator that's less than $100 like the Spyder 4 Express but IMHO it's overkill, especially if all you plan to do is surf the web / games / media viewing and not graphic production.
I forget where I read it, but someone mentioned that photo shops (that rent out cameras, lighting equipment, etc) might have hardware calibrators available for rental. So if you really need to calibrate but don't want to spend a bunch that's another route to explore. That said I think the fancy calibrators could do something like live ambient light sensing and adjust as needed, so they're useful if you both need the accuracy and will be working in varying lighting environments regularly.

BiohazrD posted:

Anyone know a cheaper version of these:

http://zenboxx.com

I'm basically looking to use it with something like this to create a simple docking solution for my rMBP 15. Although I just need MagSafe and thunderbolt

Basically I want a henge dock but updated for the new retina MacBooks.
Not cheaper, but for that price you're approaching the price of an actual Thunderbolt dock (with more functionality), specifically CalDigit's dock.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Apple wouldn't refresh the Mac Mini's for Haswell / Iris Pro and leave off PCIe flash storage, would they?

I don't see where it would fit, but I figure they're cranking out PCIe SSD's for every other product they make so it'd be worth it to figure out.
Like the MBA/MBP speculation before...:iiam:, the iMac still ships with a platter drive by default after all. At this point I half expect them to skip a Haswell update entirely and do a redesign (and price bump) for a Broadwell model next year, like how they just handled the Mac Pro.

Also iirc Haswell pricing is kinda high compared to what the Mac mini is using on the low end now if they want to use HD5000/5100 (i.e. reuse parts used in the Haswell MBA or MBPs). My crazy speculation ideal is something like this thing, redesign the mini to use desktop CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Probably not the highest of priorities for them right now, although the thoughts of what they could do with regards to size once they toss the HDDs are intriguing

Also no rMBP for me until they ditch the garbage simulated 1280x800 real estate. 1440x900 (or more!) or bust