Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, it could've been the next Office: an American remake that surpasses the original British series in every way.

I'm not sure any programme without Matt Berry can be as good as any programme with Matt Berry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, it could've been the next Office: an American remake that surpasses the original British series in every way.

I actually liked a fair bit of the US Office but this is still a mental opinion

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

PriorMarcus posted:

The American remake of The IT Crowd was actually really loving good and it's a shame they never took it past the pilot phrase so we could see the concept reach its full potential.
Did they make a second pilot or are you actually insane.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irish Joe posted:

Get out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Really should've used Shameless for that example.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Or Dad's Army.
e: did the Americans make an Are You Being Served? Could even they be that impudent?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dear Brits, this is Irish Joe. He is the best.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cactus posted:

Really should've used Shameless for that example.

The US Shameless is so much better than the UK one it feels unfair to even call it a remake. The UK series is nothing but poo poo from beginning to end, but the US one has yet to dip below amazing. It's basically the entire reason why the US SHOULD adapt as many of our series as possible - they simply do them better. Same goes for Being Human and Life on Mars.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The US Shameless is so much better than the UK one it feels unfair to even call it a remake. The UK series is nothing but poo poo from beginning to end, but the US one has yet to dip below amazing. It's basically the entire reason why the US SHOULD adapt as many of our series as possible - they simply do them better. Same goes for Being Human and Life on Mars.

What are your thoughts on the American Red Dwarf pilot?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

I've not actually seen it, but my thoughts on English Red Dwarf is that it peaked soon and then went downhill quickly. It's embarrassing that they keep bringing it back to relive past glories. I'll have to track down the American pilot and give it a watch.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

It's basically the entire reason why the US SHOULD adapt as many of our series as possible - they simply do them better. Same goes for Being Human and Life on Mars.

Haha what?

With it's lovely nonsensical ending and about half as much charm as the original?

E:

PriorMarcus posted:

It's basically the entire reason why the US SHOULD adapt as many of our series as possible - they simply do them better.

This is also a load of wank.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 28, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PriorMarcus posted:

Same goes for...Life on Mars.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some US series are better than the UK versions. Life on Mars is not one of these.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

This is how I feel when I read FYAD.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

marktheando posted:

To be fair, the American pilot for The Office was almost as poo poo. It was only when they didn't simply copy an English episode that it got good.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fire_Monkey posted:

To be fair, the American pilot for The Office was almost as poo poo. It was only when they didn't simply copy an English episode that it got good.

The UK version of The Office only has 14 episodes total. The US version has 24 episodes per season (up to 9th season now). They stopped copying the UK series like halfway through season 1.

EDIT: It's always amazing to see the difference in episode count between UK and US same-shows. They really go for quantity over there.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Xachariah posted:

The UK version of The Office only has 14 episodes total. The US version has 24 episodes per season (up to 9th season now). They stopped copying the UK series like halfway through season 1.

I know, and that was when it started getting good. I was just pointing out how terrible the pilot was compared to how the show ended up.

Is it just because they are a bigger country with bigger budgets that they always have so many episodes?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fire_Monkey posted:

I know, and that was when it started getting good. I was just pointing out how terrible the pilot was compared to how the show ended up.

Is it just because they are a bigger country with bigger budgets that they always have so many episodes?

I think it's more to do with tv culture. We certainly can make shows that go out all year, it's just we only do it with soaps.

The yanks tend to have a fairly fixed tv season where everything runs for 24 episodes with a break in the summer, whereas over here things just start whenever and run for whatever length. They can write so many episodes because they have big writers' rooms with a whole bunch of people working on one show whereas in Britain most shows are written by one or two people. Also syndication (where older shows get sold to local networks) is a big money maker in yank land and it used to be the case that you needed a certain number of episodes to get syndication so everyone tried to put out as many episodes as possible.

With the success of HBO (The Wire, Sopranos etc) and Showtime (Dexter) doing higher quality shorter series the old model of churning out hundreds of filler episodes is on it's way out though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fire_Monkey posted:

It's because they tend to have five to ten writers per show, whereas British shows still tend to only have one or two.

It's weird, because the US method turns up way more ideas, but the UK method tends to maintain a more consistent vision across the project.

Plus American shows are usually scheduled for half-yearly seasons and UK shows run quarterly. I put it down to differences in sensibility between the two countries (we British get to 12 episodes and think 'that's enough of that') but there's probably a really weird explanation.

12 episodes does seem to cut out that mid-season grind so many US shows suffer from.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
2013 wipe pretty strong so far, some absolute zingers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fatkraken posted:

2013 wipe pretty strong so far, some absolute zingers

Yeah, it's been top stuff so far. And holy poo poo Godfrey Bloom :stare:

e: The screen of dicks!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 29, 2013

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

Rarity posted:

e: The screen of dicks!

But who cares about all that, what do you think of Charlie's hair?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
spoiler that poo poo, keep it a surprise for the iplayer watchers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bodzilla posted:

But who cares about all that, what do you think of Charlie's hair?

Cut a bit short this year, looks mature and non-threatening, good job Charlie

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

"Tax-funded mythical location based on Midsomer"

:allears: Oh Charlie, I love your way with words.

Top musical choices in the episode too. Why the themetune to Rhoobarb and Custard is a perfect accompaniment to the removal of Abu Qatada I don't know, but it is.

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!
Stevie Wonder tops it so far.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
ahahaha the watership down footage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
New Weekly Wipe series coming! :woop:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Best present ever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was on 2013 Wipe :D

This has been a good year.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(we British get to 12 episodes and think 'that's enough of that')

Mostly due to the allocation of money id guess. Plus the American system is weird because think of the amount of different shows that are shown throughout the year on all 5 main channels compared with the relatively fewer on us tv because they last for like 20+ episodes, something like screenwipe or educating yorkshire would never get a look in on one of the big main American networks.

You'd have to go to a smaller network with it because the main ones want something that will go on for ages and get syndication. So the British system has to account for more variety so shows cant take up 20 weeks of prime-time space (apart from anomalies like corrie and eastenders)

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm glad they left in the thing you did with your hands.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Third dick from the left, 2nd row?

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

Rarity posted:

Third dick from the left, 2nd row?

Godfrey Bloom?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"I'm happy she's dead"?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

goatface posted:

"I'm happy she's dead"?

Pretty sure this, I remember it coming up when it happened.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Fatkraken posted:

spoiler that poo poo, keep it a surprise for the iplayer watchers

tbh I read the thread before watching it and I wasn't expecting that. Just... yeah, that was a thing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What was the music used on the Sex Box bit?

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
I would honestly watch a weekly half hour program of just Charlie Brooker creatively insulting celebrities. I dunno where he pulls it from but like, Paul Hollywood IS a "laser-eyed barn owl".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2013 Wipe would've been a lot better if Brooker didn't keep inviting his unfunny friends back for a pay cheque. Still, at least their segment on Breaking Bad was a more accurate portrayal of staring into the abyss than that show ever managed to put on screen.

I wish Harry Hill would come back.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

PriorMarcus posted:

2013 Wipe would've been a lot better if Brooker didn't keep inviting his unfunny friends back for a pay cheque. Still, at least their segment on Breaking Bad was a more accurate portrayal of staring into the abyss than that show ever managed to put on screen.

I wish Harry Hill would come back.

With the exception of Stanhope, I agree.

2013 Wipe was still great, and I'm looking forward to Weekly Wipe.