Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Maybe one day Dandy will graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah, from middle school.

I wonder where they are going with the show. Space Dandy seems like a more creepy and less mature Johnny Bravo who likes to abuse his robot. The cat he's chasing who's presumably going to join his crew is probably on the run for being a sex offender. These aren't exactly the most likable characters and I can only hope that's intentional.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
First Kill la Kill and now this. It's like anime wants me to come back to it. Having Watanabe and the Misfits together sounds like another dream team, just like Trigger.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 1, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
FYI: the first episode of the Japanese dub has been leaked. Once again, the source of the leak is Madman's website (specifically, the muppets publicly uploaded it a good 48 hours early). Those sensitive to spoilers should be wary in the next 24 hours or so.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 3, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Also if you're Australian and were planning on watching it on Madman's website you should probably look into Crunchyroll or whoever else is going to get the rights, because Madman sure won't be keeping them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As I understand it, the encode they accidentally released is badly encoded so that's a fairly good reason to avoid it as well.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
the dream is dead, pack it up yall

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/04/arts/television/space-dandy-makes-its-us-premiere-on-adult-swim.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

quote:

...there’s no telling whether the wit, insouciance and depth of feeling Mr. Watanabe has shown in the past will return.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

This is exactly what I feared from the very first PV.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It sounds like the NY times thinks it's bad when there are big anime hooters in space. But actually, it's good.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

As far as I can tell, the author hates one joke at the beginning therefore the entire episode is bad. PS the joke is funny.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
"Whether it’s a woozy, floating, viscous scene after a bad warp-drive jump, or a long chase involving alien worms seemingly dredged from the bottom of the seal, I loving puked when I saw the boobs. The hot as hell boobs made me vomit."

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Yeah to be clear I was being facetious, I posted that article because I thought it sucked. Don't let the NY times scare you off, the space hooters is fun and not bad

Too Lazy to Stop
Dec 27, 2012

ParTEA Hard!
Hahaha! Get it? It's a pun!
...oh I'm wasting my life.

I'm actually happy I read this review before I watch the episode tomorrow night. The critical review made me step off the hype train; which is good considering I'm more easily disappointed by things I'm hyped up about. I'll enter this show with lower expectations and an open mind and see where it takes me.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I don't get it. All it really says is "Looks cool, is a lot of fun, maybe not the most IMPORTANT THING EVER yet."

Sounds about right for something called Space Dandy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's always good to have reasonable expectations anyways. I'm confident that the show will be enjoyable but I'm not expecting it to instantly become my favorite thing ever after the very first episode, that would just set myself up for disappointment.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 4, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Everyone knows the first two and a half episodes of all anime are garbage anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Everyone knows the first two and a half episodes of all anime are garbage anyway.

Be fair. Sometimes, the first two episodes are superb and it's the rest of the show that's garbage.

Too Lazy to Stop
Dec 27, 2012

ParTEA Hard!
Hahaha! Get it? It's a pun!
...oh I'm wasting my life.

Renaissance Robot posted:

And that's why I always do the three episode test before dropping a series. To think I almost dropped K-ON! because I didn't like the first two episodes...

bondster
May 6, 2007

Just a reminder that this is premiering TONIGHT (:woop:)

Come join us in the Adult Swim/Toonami thread during the broadcast!

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
What if I don't want to hang out with Gitmomoneyson, who is a real maroon?

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Based on the first episode, Space Dandy is exactly what I thought it would be and I am likely to continue seeing where it goes. I'd like to be surprised by it, but if not, that's fine too.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

quote:

Adult Swim is presenting an English-language version of the show, and it’s possible that the humor isn’t as broad or crude in the original.

It's a giant starbase shaped like tits, but maybe the sonorous tones of the original Japanese seiyu can bring it the gravity it deserves.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

EndOfTheWorld posted:

It's a giant starbase shaped like tits, but maybe the sonorous tones of the original Japanese 声優 can bring it the gravity it deserves.

fixed that for you

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

What if I don't want to hang out with Gitmomoneyson, who is a real maroon?

Look at it this way, at least he didn't make this year's thread (which is now here).

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I don't have access to a TV tonight. Is anyone streaming it?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Doodles posted:

Funimation is i think.
http://www.funimation.com/shows/space-dandy/home/anime

I can't actually tell from the site, I hope so since I only have the barest of bones cable, and that's only because it comes with my internet.

edit:

ANN posted:

The anime was scheduled to launch at Otakon Vegas on Saturday, followed by its English dub broadcast on Adult Swim's Toonami block in the United States that night.

The series will then premiere in Japan on January 5 at 11:00 p.m. Animax Asia will also premiere the series in Southeast Asia on that day. Animax Korea is showing the anime in South Korea, Anime Limited licensed the anime for English and French-speaking countries and regions in Europe, while AV Visionen will stream the series with German subtitles. Funimation will also stream the series online with Japanese audio, and the company also has home video rights for the series.

So yes, I'm still not sure when the stream will go up though.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-03/space-dandy-anime-1st-episode-leaked-before-tv-premiere

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any legal way for us Brits to watch this?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there any legal way for us Brits to watch this?
This says Wakanim got it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

Adult Swim has a live stream. Gotta log in with your cable provider.

http://video.adultswim.com/watch-live/

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I rarely post in ADTRW, but I'll check this hype train out and-

Pootybutt posted:

In music news, Etsuko Yakushimaru, aka Tica @, and Yoko Kanno are teaming up for the ED. If you're unfamiliar with Yakushimaru, fix that. She was behind both OPs for Penguindrum and the ED for the soon-to-be-simulwatched Tatami Galaxy.

Hear that? That's the sound of ears everywhere orgasming.

Oh my god what is this beautiful thing :swoon:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Look at it this way, at least he didn't make this year's thread (which is now here).

Which got Gitmo all sad so he made his own Toonami thread by stealing TwoPair's OP. So maybe if we're lucky he'll just keep posting in that one.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was trying to figure out last night where this would end up streaming and couldn't find anything beyond that page either. I would have thought they'd at least put up a little info like HERE IS WHERE EPISODES ARE GONNA BE Y'ALL or something. I was hoping they'd mirror episodes on Hulu like they do with some of their other simulcasts but I couldn't even find a page for it there, just links to clips on adultswim.com.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know where you can watch this in Canada? If there's something available, is it anywhere close to the broadcast time?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The dub job is pretty amazing :allears:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
First 5 minutes and the 4th wall has been shattered and constant talk about boobs and rear end. Well alright then.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Fuuuuuck the OP said midnight so I missed half of it. I guess I should have thought to check the schedule on AS's website. :negative:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The dub seems decent so far, but the adaptive writing is incredible. So much personality.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Dub's nice and all, jokes are pretty stunningly lame. 4th wall and battery jokes?

Everything looks real nice, though. Especially space.

e. 2nd half funnier when dumb things start happening and don't really stop. Yay!

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 5, 2014

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Space Dandy is reminding me of Cowboy Andy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
^^^ I know right? I thought it may be the same voice actor but its not.

Wow this series is like if you put Zapp Brannigan in charge of the ship from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

• Locked thread