Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

For anyone trying Navarra, don't do what I did and invade France before completely neutering the muslims. They will bite back. :gonk:

Does "invading" include manipulating circumstances to inherit the Duchy of Gascogne? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The way I succeed as Navarra is to give myself 5000 gold and then hire mercenaries.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hahaha. After getting skunked invading France, I started again and set my daughter and heir up with the heir to Castile. The moment I come of age and marry after carefully setting up the nicest, richest demesne, I'm killed by an aunt who's next in line and non-matrilineally married. :gonk:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DStecks posted:

Does anybody have any strategies for a 1066 Navarra start? Your neighbors are all dynastic relations, a Muslim duchy that immediately gets poached by Castille, and loving France.

The double-alliance dance from EU can be a lifesaver if you don't mind really game-y tactics. If you want to go to war with someone and you both have the same allies, declare war on some random jerk who can't mess you up in the meantime, call in the shared allies, then (before you raise your levies!) declare war on the person you really want to go to war with. In this case, you'd call in all of the Jimenas except the one you want to attack, before declaring war on the one you want to attack. Since the other Jimenas are already in a war on the same side as you, they can't be called in against you.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Really interested in picking up SoA but afraid it's going to go on sale. All the rest of the CK2 DLC has already been on sale, what do you guys think the odds of SoA going on sale is?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I've seen new releases go on sale on Steam like 3-4 weeks after release (like what happened with Brave New World during the Summer Sale) so I say hold out until Jan. 3, but the most it'll go on sale for would be like -15% I'd say.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You know you've been playing too much CK2 when you meet distant relatives and are thinking in the back of your head "hmmm, I would have gone for a matrilineal"

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I loving hate Gavelkind succession. There I was, having successfully carved out a proper North Sea Empire (consisting of Scandinavia, Scotland, parts of England and Holland for good measure) and I'm waiting for the prerequisite ten years to pass so I can change to Primogeniture when my Emperor/Fylkir Harald Yngling dies in battle against Scottish rebels. My next Emperor does not inherit the Kingdoms of Norway or Scotland and he falls into a coma while putting down a rebellion by the King of Scotland and the Jarl of Jorvik.

After a couple more civil wars I'm now stuck as the Jarl of Sjaelland. Thankfully I still have a claim on the Empire of Scandinavia, and my wife is the Princess of Garthariki, currently held by her sister. If I can support her claim to the throne I could claim Russia for her, meaning that my heir would become the King of Russia. Also, the throne of Denmark is currently unclaimed, meaning that I could also work towards securing it so I'd have a good base of power from which to work towards the throne of Scandinavia. Just need to fabricate claims on Jylland and Skåne and I should be set.

Previously, before I started playing on Ironman, I would've probably reloaded to a previous save, but I think this way is more fun: when things go absolutely down the shitter I just have to brave through and roll with the punches.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 28, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I've played literal hundreds of hours and I still don't get faction wars. My main guy dies, second guy inherits, and a few people lobby for my new guy's brother for the throne instead. They declare a war for his claim, fine. About 5-6 people involved. Then over the next few months, 90% of my other vassals join them. Why?!

I've tag switched to the guy about to rebel, declared the war, and from that position I have no option to call in any other vassals to join the war. Then I've reloaded, tag switched to a "loyal" vassal, waited for them to declare, and have no option to join their war. Why can the AI do this but I can't? I'm utterly at a loss. It's pretty moronic; if someone didn't join a faction at the time, I'm completely unconvinced they should be able to join the faction war at a later date (unless they specifically have an alliance). Ughhh.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Eltoasto posted:

Really interested in picking up SoA but afraid it's going to go on sale. All the rest of the CK2 DLC has already been on sale, what do you guys think the odds of SoA going on sale is?

CK2 stuff goes on sale really, really often on Steam. It'll almost certainly be discounted sometime between now and Februaryish, I think.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

I've played literal hundreds of hours and I still don't get faction wars. My main guy dies, second guy inherits, and a few people lobby for my new guy's brother for the throne instead. They declare a war for his claim, fine. About 5-6 people involved. Then over the next few months, 90% of my other vassals join them. Why?!

I've tag switched to the guy about to rebel, declared the war, and from that position I have no option to call in any other vassals to join the war. Then I've reloaded, tag switched to a "loyal" vassal, waited for them to declare, and have no option to join their war. Why can the AI do this but I can't? I'm utterly at a loss. It's pretty moronic; if someone didn't join a faction at the time, I'm completely unconvinced they should be able to join the faction war at a later date (unless they specifically have an alliance). Ughhh.

There should be a call to other vassals for certain types of rebellions. I've had it before but noone wanted to join because they hated me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Allyn posted:

I'm at just over 300 hours total since release day and I get faction wars all the time, on top of civil wars most of the time my character dies. I just had a really bloody and very, very close war in my Scotland ironman game, as the Grand Doge of Meath (my vassal) started an independence war. He had no allies, but goddamnit if he couldn't muster an army larger than my own. I only won by the skin of my teeth with help from my allies at the Hospitalier's Order (whose grandmaster was a cousin and entered my war, something I didn't think was possible).

I'm probably going to ditch this Scotland save after I get the Unite the Kingdoms achievement. What exactly are the requirements for the Roman achievements? Thinking about giving the Byzantine Empire a go at the 867 start date, since Basil of Macedonia is a pretty cool emperor.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Allyn posted:

If you declare war on your liege, you have a choice to call his former vassals, similar to calling your allies button. Maybe some time needs to pass, but it is definitely there, I remember having that choice. They will join if they like you more than their liege.

Oh, and like having warchest for wars, it is good having a bribe chest for inheritances. Just bribe everyone and have your chancellor and spymaster work overtime. Focus on the biggest vassals first.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah you can call to war all of your liege's vassals if you are the leader of a rebelling faction. Maybe your dude wasn't actually the leader of the faction to install him on the throne?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I bought the basic CKII in the Steam sale after watching the Idle Thumbs stream months ago and I have no idea what I'm doing but it's great. Generally I just need bigger armies and more money, and I'm content to wait and only stir poo poo occasionally, but am I doing it horribly wrong if I go a year or two doing nothing but waiting?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Szmitten posted:

I bought the basic CKII in the Steam sale after watching the Idle Thumbs stream months ago and I have no idea what I'm doing but it's great. Generally I just need bigger armies and more money, and I'm content to wait and only stir poo poo occasionally, but am I doing it horribly wrong if I go a year or two doing nothing but waiting?

The game lasts for up to 400 years, 600 if you have Old Gods. So no, you aren't doing anything wrong if you are having fun.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Sometimes there will be long stretches where at best you can improve a holding or two since you're waiting on claims to be fabricated/people to die/whatever. If you have an established ruler in a stable duchy/kingdom/empire it's not entirely out of the ordinary to spend half a decade doing barely anything at all.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

If you declare war on your liege, you have a choice to call his former vassals, similar to calling your allies button. Maybe some time needs to pass, but it is definitely there, I remember having that choice. They will join if they like you more than their liege.

Oh, and like having warchest for wars, it is good having a bribe chest for inheritances. Just bribe everyone and have your chancellor and spymaster work overtime. Focus on the biggest vassals first.

No idea what happened there. And yeah I know, I usually try and keep at least 300 but I dropped down to 100 and it just wasn't enough :(

Also I started a different game, and hoooly poo poo it's bugged out: the Pope is still a cardinal, and is his own heir supposedly. Can only wait out and see what happens when he dies, I guess. Welp

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I'm trying to flip to Cathar in my current game, but other than making my chaplain research, is there a way to make your character switch faster? I found a vassal that is Cathar, but it's too late to have my heir be educated by him.

If someone in your court is a heretic, is there an event where they try to convert you?

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Eltoasto posted:

This is the third time in this thread that I have pointed out that it was 50%-off on GameStop (with Steam key) within a week of release.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

I'm trying to flip to Cathar in my current game, but other than making my chaplain research, is there a way to make your character switch faster? I found a vassal that is Cathar, but it's too late to have my heir be educated by him.

If someone in your court is a heretic, is there an event where they try to convert you?

Getting a heretic chaplain isn't that big of a problem, actually. Remember that your court chaplain can be any random jackass, it doesn't need to be a bishop. Just make the heretic your chaplain, get the conversion event, then put your original chaplain back in charge, with a small gift to cancel out the opinion malus for firing him in the first place.

Question: if I have a heretic chaplain in place, and he's proselytizing, will he convert provinces to his heresy if I myself am not a heretic?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

DStecks posted:

Getting a heretic chaplain isn't that big of a problem, actually. Remember that your court chaplain can be any random jackass, it doesn't need to be a bishop. Just make the heretic your chaplain, get the conversion event, then put your original chaplain back in charge, with a small gift to cancel out the opinion malus for firing him in the first place.

Question: if I have a heretic chaplain in place, and he's proselytizing, will he convert provinces to his heresy if I myself am not a heretic?

You can't appoint someone of a different religion to be your chaplain anymore. Think it changed with SoA. If your current chaplain converts, then he will convert provinces to his religion, not yours, yes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DStecks posted:

You can't appoint someone as your chaplain unless your religions match.

Allyn posted:

You can't appoint someone of a different religion to be your chaplain anymore. Think it changed with SoA.
It's been that way as long as I can remember, actually.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Allyn posted:

You can't appoint someone of a different religion to be your chaplain anymore.

Heh, wasn't even sure you could.

This would be a great place for a "secret system" to come into play. People probably wouldn't have been too open about not toeing the church line, so it would be neat if one of your bishops turned out to secretly be a Cathar. Even neater if you were too, and you could have a little heretical conspiracy going on.

Of course, such a system would be wayyyy too big to put into the current game.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

DStecks posted:

Remember that your court chaplain can be any random jackass, it doesn't need to be a bishop.

Any jackass with a church (Learning) education, specifically.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Drone posted:

I only won by the skin of my teeth with help from my allies at the Hospitalier's Order (whose grandmaster was a cousin and entered my war, something I didn't think was possible).

You think that's weird, I managed to ally with a Catholic holy order in my second game, where I played as a Muslim. In my recent game, I was allied with the Pope, despite me being Orthodox, because I married his bastard daughter. Crusader Kings has an insane level of depth that you have only begun to notice, my friend.
~~~~~

The Iron Man thing is weird. I didn't know so many people save-scummed. I never run Iron Man because my game slows fairly dramatically on January 1st when it autosaves, and it frustrates me enough -already-, I can't imagine upping that slowdown to every single month. I never "reroll" a bad result, though.

In my current game, I'm on my third child ruler in a row. Not really participating on the world stage, but watching it burn around me. It's pretty intense. Denmark inherited Hungary, and one of its princesses married the King of France, and then stabbed her way to the joint throne, setting up her progeny to inherit all three kingdoms. I was expecting her to actually succeed, but her vassals want none of that poo poo and are successfully going to put an Arpad back on the throne of Hungary after something like 150 years without one. Still, we'll go from Denmark/Hungary to France/Denmark, which is pretty nutty

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Watching the rest of the world develop is always good stuff. Especially watching it burn at the Old Gods start.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DStecks posted:

Heh, wasn't even sure you could.

This would be a great place for a "secret system" to come into play. People probably wouldn't have been too open about not toeing the church line, so it would be neat if one of your bishops turned out to secretly be a Cathar. Even neater if you were too, and you could have a little heretical conspiracy going on.

Of course, such a system would be wayyyy too big to put into the current game.

Hopefully something like this will be in Crusader Kings 3. It would be cool if your spy network was an actual thing- so unless you have spies everywhere you only have detailed information about your realm, your neighbours and the more famous foreign rulers. So the player as an Irish Earl wouldn't know that a Sicilian Count is gay or that an Ethiopian Bishop's second daughter is a genius.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Is there a recommended list of mods to use?

Nothing game changing, just UI mods.

I'd love something that would allow me to filter search a little more.

Edit: Also, a have a large empire and put down a rebellion. I'm doing the normal revoke-and-redistribute-titles thing, however, it won't let me revoke The Kingdom of Mali from a dude because it's against the Crown Laws.

Is this right?

crm fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 29, 2013

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

marktheando posted:

Hopefully something like this will be in Crusader Kings 3. It would be cool if your spy network was an actual thing- so unless you have spies everywhere you only have detailed information about your realm, your neighbours and the more famous foreign rulers. So the player as an Irish Earl wouldn't know that a Sicilian Count is gay or that an Ethiopian Bishop's second daughter is a genius.

This would actually be pretty cool. It sometimes feel weird when my character moves from court to court, checking potential mates teeth and anal circumference. Imagine if all you know about her is that she is quirky (she has low prestige, you don't have a diplomatic or espionage presence so you don't know anything more), but when she arrives, you found out that she is a full blown beliber.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Is CKII a good introduction to Paradox games? If not, which is the easiest to catch on with? I really enjoy these types of strategy games in theory, but they also look incredibly daunting to start. I also have a pretty lovely laptop, so I was thinking of starting with one of the older games.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is CKII a good introduction to Paradox games? If not, which is the easiest to catch on with? I really enjoy these types of strategy games in theory, but they also look incredibly daunting to start. I also have a pretty lovely laptop, so I was thinking of starting with one of the older games.

None of them are easy.

Play the tutorial to understand the interface, read this Let's Play:

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

and then have fun failing.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The ongoing Tutorial LPs were really useful when i wanted to get into the game.

It took me a while to wrap my head around things and I made some pretty big mistakes along the way but that's just part of the game and besides, it's fun to watch the world burn every now and then.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How long does the "dishonorable" -10 relation with your vassals last? The one you get when someone blabs about your assassination plot. Also how long does the -20 for retracting a vassalage last?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 29, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Veryslightlymad posted:

The Iron Man thing is weird. I didn't know so many people save-scummed. I never run Iron Man because my game slows fairly dramatically on January 1st when it autosaves, and it frustrates me enough -already-, I can't imagine upping that slowdown to every single month. I never "reroll" a bad result, though.

It really depends on what you're doing and how much you know about the deeper (and hidden) mechanics involved. In most cases the random/arbitrary bullshit things can either be mitigated or recovered through careful planning. Savescumming keeps the game fun while you're learning how to exploit situations.

Edit:

R.D. Mangles posted:

You're pretty much screwed until you learn all the tricks and you'll get a ton of false starts that seem unwinnable. You'll play hundreds of in-game years and still be learning that some features exist at all because they're buried in the interface. That being said, CK2 is Medieval Reality TV and it's fun to watch stories unfold even if you don't know how or why things happened.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 29, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Playing my Republic of Brittany game, and it's endlessly entertaining to be a rock of non-blobby stability while the realms around me do the normal CKII thing (expand, fall into a fifty-year civil war spiral, become fodder for the next country in the cycle). England went from being the premier regional power to a failed state shockingly quickly. Their holdings in Ulster and the Irish Sea revolted and became the Kingdom of Ireland, I've been taking bits of Wales (planning on spinning it off as an independent kingdom), and the Scottish lords have pretty much kicked the English out of their land for good. And every English duke is a deposed king or a descendent of one, so the spiral of civil wars won't end for a long time yet.

Scotland, France, and Burgundy all went through the same spiral and ended up ceasing to exist as kingdoms altogether. Norway barely recovered, ending in a southern Catholic rump state constantly fighting a mess of northern barbarian jarls. I don't even know what's happening in central Europe anymore. Meanwhile, my Brittany is a rock-stable paradise with a capital that rivals Damascus and Constantinople for technological advancement.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wait, after searching about it on google does the dishonorable penalty for someone blabbing about an assassination mission ever go away? That's bullshit if it stays forever.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Breton band imprisoned the HRE king and won the first battle, getting a nice slice of HRE. my game after that did not last a month as I got executed for just cause they could.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, after searching about it on google does the dishonorable penalty for someone blabbing about an assassination mission ever go away? That's bullshit if it stays forever.

Assassination plot cause a dishonorable malus that goes away after 5 years (everyone) or 20 years (the victim, if you give up the plot)

Straight-up assassins are forever. They are meant to be much more dangerous (see also : free revenge stabs) and to trigger the AI to attempt to stab you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

5 years I can deal with. Thanks

• Locked thread