Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yuan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Are there any nations NOT in the the Western/High American tech group aside from usual Muslims/Eastern, or is the New World a fantasy Europe?

The native Ixachitlani tribes are still in the New World group in order to take advantage of the new technological system promised in Conquest of Paradise.

Tech groups are as follows:

High American: 100% Costs (starts at tech 5)
Western: 110% Costs
Eastern: 110% Costs
Chinese: 110% Costs
Muslim: 120% Costs
Indian: 120% Costs
Nomad: 140% Costs
Subsaharan: 140% Costs (starts at tech 2)
New World: 150% Costs (starts at tech 0, but will have new mechanics with the expansion)

Do note that each region still has different units, though they have been rebalanced so that Western Units can't just waltz into anyone post 1600 and expect an easy victory, so colonization will be a harder game and European supremacy will not be a given.

quote:

Maybe we should all just pick seven or so and you can combine those that get the most? Else, You'll get a lot of 1-2 vote countries which is hardly a majority.

I considered that, but then it would be a lot of things to count for each post, think of poor ol' Sniper! It is kind of amusing that we haven't had a repeat vote thus far (trying to vote for multiple countries doesn't count), but I trust there should be a majority between here and then. Maybe, I hope?

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 29, 2013

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I wanted to say Toulouse but instead i'll go with Angkor

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Yuan

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Mali

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
All hail glorious Finland.

Finland deserves a chance to be something other than 'the place that Sweden and Russia fight over'.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I think the French League could use a hand.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Yuan

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Bulgaria.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
England. They're the capital of the Holy Roman Empire, that means they should get some luck-weight to throw around.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Timurids. Obviously they're lucky, since they're me!

Also, are they Eastern or Nomad tech group?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

French League our western cousins need to make it though the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
French League

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
Wallachia, impale the east and then the Greeks.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Great Lakes is the obvious answer.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Shi'ites seem to have gotten short shrift in this timeline.

Vote for whatever country has the largest Shia population

EDIT: This appears to be Tunisia. They need all the help they can get.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 29, 2013

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Poland, antemurale Europae

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Going to toss in for the Ainu. Korea is super tempting, I'm always glad to see them do well in games, but in this case? I want to see if this'll help give them a leg up.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
If we want a challenge from Europe, we need to make Poland lucky.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I'm gonna assume the white spots beneath Mali and Jolof are Hadashtian colonies, and thus fling a vote to the obvious best Canaanite Qart Hadasht.

Also I'm gonna ask why we really should have Lucky Nations. I mean, considering that we at the moment don't know who the 'Winners of History' are, which is what the Lucky Nations are supposed to represent if I don't misremember, shouldn't it make more sense to make the eight greatest powers by the end of the game the lucky ones?

Other than that, the vote should be a boring "Who do we want to see win/have won in canon history?" rather than "Which country we just like the most." In spite of not being allowed to do so according to voting rules, I'm gonna fling some more votes against the wall, along with why I think the way I do, and see what stick. I know we only have eight votes, but there are to many powers that can win! Beginning with:

Qart Hadasht:
With colonies in Africa the Qart Hadasht stand the best chance of becoming the superpower of the eastern part of South Ixachitlan, as well as a contender in Mali territory. This could pose them with great wealth (at least if you invert the Brazil-Ivorian trade-route) and thus make them a glorious nation in their own right. Having one in the south become the winner could be fun I guess, but a nation slowly eating its way downwards fits better with the whole 'Let's make everyone superpowers' schtick we have going.

The Hansa
The Hanseatic Merchants managed to survive not only the Danes but the Poles, the Germans and to a degree the Mongols as well. They trade in Aztec gold, they have Canaanite silver flowing into their coffers, and the wares from the Mongol Silk Route still find a natural place in Lübeck harbour. They stand as the strongest contender for German unity, and to not have them meet their destiny would be blasphemy.

Scandinavia:
Finland may be a survivor against the Mongols, but they're still very much a rumpstate no matter how much we love them. And thus I do think they're doomed to become Scandinavian snack, who later can become the Russia of this timeline. Or something. Nonetheless the Danes managed to make a mountain out of a molehill, in this case for the best when they made a Danish Rump into a Scandinavian Monster. The Scands will be a strong contender, and I will eagerly watch it unfold.

Angkor
Rather than the voted Indonesian Mu'tazilas I think the islands to the south will be conquered by the Angkor merchants. They're built on a modern application of ancient traditions, and thus could probably do much good in the area. Also, with both the Yuan and the Oste Wasi to the north, they need all the help they can get if they are to survive.

Venice:
The Hansa of the Adriatic, they've united the Italian peninsula under the Most Serene Doge. Wealth flows into their hands from Scottish Alexandria, probably the biggest Venetian tradeport outside of Venice itself despite it not being directly controlled by them. They stand in a position to become great, very much so.

New Aztlan
As much as I want a new united France I think they're all to weak to stand up against the Aztlan might. New Aztlan stand as the strongest power to contain the Europeans, and will probably succeed unless the pope calls for a new Crusade against the western heathens.

England
A favourite in our time, the Holy Roman Emperor of England stand as probably one of the mightiest minors of Europe. I would love to see them ignore the 'true Englishmen' to the north and instead focus on annexing the French League and Friesland into the Kaiser's own hands. The French League may be ruled by Goons, but we have enough merchant states as it is. Besides, we real at least one real HRE power, right?

Nicaea
Seeing Byzantine/Latin Empire be reborn would be awesome. Thus I think I'll fling my vote at Nicaea, seeing them survive against the Muslim menace and expand to greatness at the expense of their neighbours.

And then, I would also like to put votes against:

Oste Wasi and Great Yuan:
While the Western House of the Incas stand as a proud inheritor of ancient traditions, and with their alliance to the Great Yuan Empire the two of them could work together to create greatness. The two of them, I feel, do not need Luck. One is a Militaristic Monster, the other a Wonder of the Waves. To give them more would only tip the scales unevenly, something the Angkor need more than either of the two superpowers I feel.

The Timurid Shogunate Khanate:
As big as they are, I do think they're merely a conqueror state doomed to collapse as the other nations eclipse their Nomand tech group and stomp them for a bit. Should the earlier Samarkand = Third Rome vote have passed I might have suggested otherwise but now they still remain petty conquerors.

Aztec/Inca/Vinland:
As fun as it would be, giving any one of them the Lucky Modifiers would tip the scales in that one's favour, scales I'd rather see untipped. Let the three western superpowers do their stuff and face against one another. A winner may surface eventually, and otherwise things will just be more fun.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Incidentally, ZearothK, I hope you give Qart Hadasht a mission to "restore the Empire of Carthage", which requires them to conquer most of the Northern Africa coast.

They'd automatically get cores in all "Ancient Cathaginian Provinces" if they did so.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll vote for the French League.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
French League

If I was in your position I'd probably dish out some lucky tags in order to encourage consolidation in regions which are currently fragmented just to make more blobs, France seems the most in need of some help so that's where my vote goes. If we had more than 1 vote I'd probably go for Angkor, Karnata and Quart-Hadasht next, then just give all the other major powers lucky tags.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 29, 2013

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
Scandinavia, to give some sort of nearby challenge to the Hansa.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Qart Hadasht! Carthage can't burn twice!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Aquitaine because why should northern France have all the fun?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Vinland!

What's the point of Vikings if you don't let them have some fun?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Actually, I kind of want Venice now.

I have a feeling that soon Egypt will be in the Ventians pockets...

And if I can have a second choice. The Shia Tunisia.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 29, 2013

HrungTheGi
Oct 30, 2012
Carthago salvenda est! Qart Hadasht.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Poland

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Going to have to go African again - ghana/mali

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Vinland!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Biggest Indian state.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The French League needs the help.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Corsica

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Bulgaria and the French League

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Qart Hadasht.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vinland

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Vinland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WilliamAnderson posted:

Timurids. Obviously they're lucky, since they're me!

Also, are they Eastern or Nomad tech group?

Nomad, they have never been particularly stable, as we well remember.

quote:

Also I'm gonna ask why we really should have Lucky Nations. I mean, considering that we at the moment don't know who the 'Winners of History' are, which is what the Lucky Nations are supposed to represent if I don't misremember, shouldn't it make more sense to make the eight greatest powers by the end of the game the lucky ones?

Not necessarily, nations can do well despite not being lucky, after all. That is just an extra bonus to pile on states the thread wants to succeed (or challenge us), despite whatever hand they were given to start with, or in addition to it. So yeah, the boring one, but very good summary of some of the main players in the world.

quote:

Incidentally, ZearothK, I hope you give Qart Hadasht a mission to "restore the Empire of Carthage", which requires them to conquer most of the Northern Africa coast.

Hmmm... Maybe if they do succeed in conquering Timbuktu first... Or the Aztecs lose control of both sides of Gibraltar, but that is very far off.

• Locked thread