Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Presumably they could have killed him and then used someone else as a replacement seal. It isn't like the current three dudes are the first to ever hold that position, so killing one of them during peacetime shouldn't be an issue.

Besides, even if Gerard is killed and face takes away everyone's magic a Gerard would just show up and give people a pill that cures them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
his best attempt at strong female protagonist naked and shackled and being whipped after her "body is more sensitive", that's me done

Simoom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 29, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Good points. I suppose even considering Siegrain was an obnoxious little poo poo, the council would have expected him to survive for a good long while.

I suspect that Tartarus will successfully kill Jellal, in that his heart'll stop beating and the seal on Face will be broken, but then Laxus and the Raijinshuu will make their dramatic re-entrance, Laxus'll defibrillate Jellal and he'll come back to life. Even though that isn't how defibrillators work. Because magic. That way, the stakes still get to be as high as they can be but Mashima doesn't have to kill off one of his favourites.

Or he'll just deploy the eighteenth replacement Jellal from the secret Jellalquarium in his basement, whatever.

Simoom posted:

his best attempt at strong female protagonist naked and shackled and being whipped after her "body is more sensitive", that's me done
Yeah, Mashima's had male characters get tortured before and they've always been allowed to keep their pants on.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Gerard is the author so there's no way he'll die.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
New Chapter.
I wonder what Silver has against Gray?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

RefinedUndefined posted:

New Chapter.
I wonder what Silver has against Gray?

Well given the naming convention and appearance, I'm thinking he's Grey's dad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Well given the naming convention and appearance, I'm thinking he's Grey's dad.

Problem is they died and Silver is a Demon.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Nightmare Fuel Theory: Silver is a demon who killed Grey's dad and is wearing his skin.

but knowing its Shonen means its probably Silver is a demon possessing Grey's dad and will me exorcised, allowing Grey/Silver reunion

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gray was a kid and made a faulty assumption, he didn't really die, and Gray is half-demon, problem solved.
*edit*
Looking back at the chapter Silver was introduced, I just realized he's in a snowy village (Probably not unlike where Gray was from) visiting a single grave.
(Is it obvious that I really hope the "Gray's Dad Theory" is right?)

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 9, 2014

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

It is a shonen manga, and he is an older man with dark hair and ice powers.

The "theory" that he is Grey's dad is about as strong as the "theory" that the manga will have a happy ending. Which is to say it's only a "theory" because it hasn't happened on screen yet, but otherwise it is obvious and inevitable.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Seems weird that Silver would call Gray's name disgusting if he's his father. Maybe Gray's mum picked it. It works if Silver is a demon wearing Gray's dad's skin (or Gray's dad thoroughly demonised and really screwy in the head) but then the theory also argues that Silver was visiting his dead family's grave in his first appearance and that'd imply a kind of familial sentiment.

Maybe Silver thinks Gray is somehow responsible for his mum's death?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Could Silver be Ur's husband? I honestly don't remember if we saw anything of him, but their daughter turned into a real class act under his care.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Could Silver be Ur's husband? I honestly don't remember if we saw anything of him, but their daughter turned into a real class act under his care.

I think Ultear said he left her mother. It wasn't stated that he raised Ultear though. There was an anime original sequence that revealed it was Brain who was responsible for the experiments on Ultear, but who knows if that's canon. It was better than just "These magic institute people were just random lying assholes for no reason" though.
Still, that seems like a much weaker connection than Gray, especially in light of Silver's earrings being the same as Gray's necklace. And I'd think Natsu would have made the connection to Ultear before Gray if she were Silver's daughter, since he did recognize her via smell despite her completely changed appearance in the Tenroujima arc. I admit it could explain why Ultear had "too much" magical energy that necessitated medical care.
But if either Gray or Ultear were demons then the Galuna island "demons get their memories messed up" thing would create a plot hole. Unless it only affects full demons I guess.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Interesting how noone mentioned tentacle rape :cthulhu:

gently caress this manga.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Bisse posted:

Maybe i'm a horrible person, but it doesn't outweigh what I liked about the rest of the manga enough to make me stop reading.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bisse posted:

Because there was none. We just had titillating torture, that's a few rungs further up the gently caress This Manga ladder than the simple existence of a monster with tentacles.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Deathwing posted:

Maybe i'm a horrible person, but it doesn't outweigh what I liked about the rest of the manga enough to make me stop reading.

It helps that there was no actual tentacle rape, just tentacle leering. Characters have been leering since the first issue. Including non-human ones thanks to spirits like Loki and Taurus.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

New Chapter: http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/367
Equal Opportunity Fanservice.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfman nooooo~

Neat Borg Cube though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So is this the one story where everyone but Lucy gets stripped? Taking a man's scarf is just low.

So is anyone else expecting Natsu's scarf to turn out to be a power limiter now? Though the continued trampling of the noble concept of friendship may simply be enough of a power up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just hope that other characters get some time to be in the spotlight or even arc-ending heroes this time since Erza and Natsu are at least currently out of commission. Granted Gray is should have a prominent role here, but I hope he doesn't get sidelined once that's done. And that Lucy and Juvia get to do things other than end up naked and shove their boobs into stuff. Natsu is great and all, but having him end every arc's big fight got old a while ago.

Also now everybody is stealing Gray's gag of getting naked for no reason and that just doesn't sit right.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gyges posted:

So is this the one story where everyone but Lucy gets stripped? Taking a man's scarf is just low.

So is anyone else expecting Natsu's scarf to turn out to be a power limiter now? Though the continued trampling of the noble concept of friendship may simply be enough of a power up.

Apparently. But Happy is copping a serious feel on Lucy in that cool-down hug panel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Zero is coming back.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Did they ever explain why Natsu and Wendy are over 80 years old and/or are statues?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I do like how Tartaros is actually being shown to be a credible threat, instead of being comprised by a bunch of mooks that just get steamrolled easily.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Did they ever explain why Natsu and Wendy are over 80 years old and/or are statues?

Was Wendy ever confirmed as over 80 years old/statue, or is that just assumed because Natsu and Gajeel were? Sting and Rogue could be in theory too, if the connection is having trained under an actual dragon.

But no I don't think it was explained.

Monaghan posted:

I do like how Tartaros is actually being shown to be a credible threat, instead of being comprised by a bunch of mooks that just get steamrolled easily.

It's the complete opposite of Bleach at the moment. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Meme Emulator posted:

Until it's brought up again, I'm going to assume Mashima forgot about that and it will never be explained.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
...did they just hint at lesbian action between the two female demons?

Natsu and Lisanna should just do a Dead Leaves.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

...did they just hint at lesbian action between the two female demons?

I missed that the first time I read the chapter. :aaa:

Mashima will be Mashima. :pervert:

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 18, 2014

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
New chapter:

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/368/2226/1

Looks like Mashima has been rereading the opening chapters to DBZ

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New wild theory, Ice Demon guy is actually Future Grey.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Huh. Didn't expect Jellal to die that quick.

Not that I believe he'll be staying dead.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

It's not so wild given that we've already seen multiple instances of it. The "filthy/disgusting name" line makes more sense in the context of "Don't remind me of the old me" more than "I have a strong dislike of my son." But then the former is self-explanatory and straightforward whereas the latter requires additional exposition.

(I hope that's not the case though.)

If he smells the same as Grey, I think that puts down the Ultear's father theory though.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'm guessing it's some shard of Grey's (or someone's) soul from when he fought that big demon and they merged or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogundar posted:

It's not so wild given that we've already seen multiple instances of it. The "filthy/disgusting name" line makes more sense in the context of "Don't remind me of the old me" more than "I have a strong dislike of my son." But then the former is self-explanatory and straightforward whereas the latter requires additional exposition.

(I hope that's not the case though.)

If he smells the same as Grey, I think that puts down the Ultear's father theory though.

Plus he noted that he knew Natsu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he is an older version of Gray, he could have been sent to the past and gotten older from there. In other words, he could still be Ultear's father too! Which would be hilarious.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I saw a good point that shoots down the Future Gray theory. If it were Gray from the Future, he'd have known that Atlas wasn't a demon. And he'd have known who fixed that. He seemed to think Natsu took care of it.

Harry posted:

I'm guessing it's some shard of Grey's (or someone's) soul from when he fought that big demon and they merged or something.

You don't mean the one in the last arc, do you? Seems like Silver has been around for a while, especially if he's from Zeref's book of demons (Although if he's an artificially made one that gets past that inconvenience easily enough.)

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Gyges posted:

Ice Demon guy is Juvia and Grey's son from the future, who went back in time, and became his own grandfather while attempting to change his future where demon's rule by joining the demons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's Fairy Tail, guys; it isn't going to be super deep. Its Gray's dad, bonus points if he's also Natsu's dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Zogundar posted:

I saw a good point that shoots down the Future Gray theory. If it were Gray from the Future, he'd have known that Atlas wasn't a demon. And he'd have known who fixed that. He seemed to think Natsu took care of it.

You don't mean the one in the last arc, do you? Seems like Silver has been around for a while, especially if he's from Zeref's book of demons (Although if he's an artificially made one that gets past that inconvenience easily enough.)
I was thinking that first big one we saw. I'm guessing it's some fragment from Grey's soul or something merged.

• Locked thread