Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Can anyone recommend some good booties that will stand up to snow/salt/cold? We have some of the plastic ones but they are a pain to get on, seem pretty uncomfortable for him, and even though they are the large breed size seem a little small. (It also doesn't help that he will bound into the deepest snow almost immediately).

Bean has booties from K9 Voyager. They go up past the ankle? Good for a walk but she has trouble keeping them on at full speed. She seems happy with them otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I may be getting a greyhound later this month. What do they absolutely need for cold weather? I'm definitely getting a coat of some kind.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Meowenstein posted:

Thank you for your replies. I won't be able to adopt a dog for good long while, so there's a long time to think about this. Not being able to let the dog off their leash while outside could be a bit awkward while fishing. My other activities outdoors are about as lazy as my fishing, though, so I don't think being too active would be an issue. Do you know of any other breeds that might work better in this situation? Either way, thanks for the advice!

Honestly a variety of laid-back mutts would probably suit your needs. I've known quite a few dogs of various breeds that would have loved to be your fishing buddy and lollygag around, maybe get you to throw a tennis ball from time to time. Your best bet might be to find a good general (rather than breed-specific) rescue near you, tell them about your lifestyle and what you want in a dog, and let them find a match for you.

And then post cute pictures :)

various cheeses posted:

I may be getting a greyhound later this month. What do they absolutely need for cold weather? I'm definitely getting a coat of some kind.

That's pretty much it, unless you live in a really cold place, in which case just a better coat. Maybe a snood to cover the ears. If you have a lot of snow and ice you might want to look into some booties like they're talking about ^

I live in an area with moderately cold winters, and we only used Husker's coat when we were going to be out for long periods of time or on unusually cold days. Most of the time he was fine running around in his birthday suit and coming inside when he got chilly. It just depends on how severe your winters are, really.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I just throw Mona 's fleece coat on if it's below 50F. I contemplated getting boots, mainly to keep the salt off her paws, but didn't bother. We've been fine getting through NJ winters.

We have a lighter jacket if it's raining, but that's more because she hates to be out in the rain.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Chainsaw McGee posted:

Bean has booties from K9 Voyager. They go up past the ankle? Good for a walk but she has trouble keeping them on at full speed. She seems happy with them otherwise.

Thanks! I think we have a coat from them, so I'll check out the booties.

various cheeses posted:

We are in WI (where it's hovered around 10 F all this week and there's 5 inches of snow with the promise of more), and our complex goes overboard on salt to a ridiculous degree, so Chevy needs both a fleece coat and booties and even then he's not a big fan of long walks.

I guess I forgot to post this:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Haha looks like the coat should be enough then. Here in NC it rarely goes below 30°F.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
So I didn't realise there was a separate site hound thread, very happy. My parents have 3 whippets and my fiancé fell in love with them so when we moved to Vancouver and she became my wife I had to get her one.

This is my parents first whippet, Tango, who is now 9. In the background is Titan who is no longer with us.

Bumble (7) and Strudel (5) who actually have the same father. Despite spending 100% of their time cuddling together they occasionally have a go at each other, and 3 weeks ago Strudel mauled Bumble and left her with 12 stitches and 16 other puncture marks while on a walk. She is wearing a muzzle on walks for the next few weeks until we are sure she is not going to do it again. I don't believe we can ever be sure (this is the 3rd time it's happened).

And this is treacle. 10 months old, currently asleep in the middle of the bed so that neither myself nor my wife can actually use the duvet. She spends her days in daycare because we are out and when we left her the first day she howled so loud the neighbour called the city AND the SPCA. And we only left her for two hours. Bitch of a neighbour was evicted for reporting everyone to every agency and eventually setting up her own CCTV system to spy into neighbours homes to find more reasons to report people. Because of her we never got to acclimatise Treacle at an early age to spending time alone, and her howl now when we try is unbelievable. The best we can manage before she howls is 2 hours.

But we love whippets, and the huge advantage over Greyhounds is they fit in the bed.

We don't have the problem of people telling us she is too skinny (although someone once called the police on my parents for starving their dogs) but we do have everyone tell us that they've never seen a tiger dog before (brindle is not that uncommon?) and apologising when their dogs play with her. Little do they know she spends her spare time wrestling with 2 80lb labs and a 130lb bull mastiff - she doesn't know she's wee.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I had no idea there was a greyhound thread until I was pointed in its direction, I rarely venture into PI. Read the entire thing in one sitting, lot of cute photos (and sorry to hear about Union and Jojo). Anyway, these are my mother's greyhounds:

From left to right is Speed, his brother Explosive, Somerset, and Sting. All are rescues of course, and my mother used one of the racing databases to keep track of Explosive so that when he retired and was lucky enough to be picked up by an adoption agency she managed to contact them and arrange everything.

Here's a better picture of them + a couple others at an adoption/fundraising/awareness event.

Both are old pictures, since Speed is now a tripod thanks to osteocarcoma (lost it almost a year ago).

He gets along just fine though, and in fact still tries to chase squirrels and the others. We have to watch him pretty carefully in winter because of that of course. He's also very vocal, having learned to bark due to my father's doberman being dogsit with us for a while, and then taught the others how to bark as well.

Here's a (bad) photo of Speed using his brother as a pillow during a car trip.

I unfortunately don't have any good photos of Explosive on my computer or phone (probably have a few on my external HD but I don't feel like navigating its labyrinthe of folders at this time), but can probably take some new ones of them next time I visit. Explosive is the most dominant of the four, but has a very reserved and shy personality around people, while Sting is basically a goofy idiot. I could only find a single halfway decent photo of him.

If I remember right, he was watching some birds out on my grandmother's patio when I took that picture.

I do have a good photo and accompanying story of Somerset though. When she was first introduced into the house, she made the mistake of sticking her nose into the face of my very ill-tempered cat and got beaten up by it, which resulted in her being wary around cats. A year later my mother ended up adopting a stray that took an immediate fixation to Somerset and would always cuddle up to the dog whenever it had the chance. Somerset was terrified by this at first but eventually got used to it and now tolerates the weird fuzzy thing that won't leave her alone.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 16, 2013

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Aw, what a great batch of photos (and batch of greyhounds). That's so sweet that she kept track of Explosive until she could adopt him! They're all so handsome, especially the diluted brindle.

The same thing happened with one of my cats, I had Union and when I got my cats over from America, I had to introduce them. Union was scared of the cats but Zoe looooooves big gentle dogs and would not leave her alone. Eventually Union realized that putting up with the purring fluffy thing that wanted to lay down next to her was all right after all.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm at my parents' for the holidays, and the bigger house gives Casey a little extra room to romp around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnkRowJkXDo

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I finally did it. In two weeks or so, I'll be taking this dog home:

She's 4 years old, just finished racing in early December. All the other dogs were somewhat aloof, but she was the only one to stand by me and get petted constantly. Also when I walked her, she put her ears together straight up and pointed them around like some sort of radar dish.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Congrats! What a pretty girl! What is her name?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'll have to think of one, since she only has her racing name. I'm leaning toward Lana, since my last name is also Kane (hopefully someone will catch the reference).

So what do you guys feed your dogs? I was going to just pick something like Canidae off the top tier list in the dog nutrition thread.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

various cheeses posted:

I'll have to think of one, since she only has her racing name. I'm leaning toward Lana, since my last name is also Kane (hopefully someone will catch the reference).

So what do you guys feed your dogs? I was going to just pick something like Canidae off the top tier list in the dog nutrition thread.

I think we need to see a picture of her front paws for, you know, science.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Would you describe her gait as, in any way, clomping?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

various cheeses posted:

You'd need to get another one as a companion, maybe name it Sterling, or Cyril.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

It's been over four years in the making, but I emailed the adoption coordinator with our local rescue and told her we are ready to adopt! We met a handsome ~70 lb male back in September that my husband insisted was "too big." :rolleyes: So I told the rescue we wanted a small female. They only have males in foster right now so we'll have t wait for at least a month until the next dog haul. But! I've waited this long already, so what's one more month?

So excited I could pee. :neckbeard:

Edit: Just got an email from the rescue. Their next haul will be in February, so our dog will be coming up then!

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 29, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I expect to see lots of pictures on Facebook :colbert:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Wow, Mona does not like the cold or snow right now. She normally loves her walks, but right now, she just keeps turning around to get back inside.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Well we finally did it, put in an application with GPA-NOVA. Or at least I think we did, I hit the button to submit but didn't get a confirmation. I sent an email to make sure they got it. I will be sad if they did not I spent like an hour and a half filling it out. So here we go, fingers crossed!

Various Cheeses, and word on your girl?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Fuzz Feets posted:

Currently asleep in her crate.

Picked her up yesterday afternoon. She was absolutely terrified of going down stairs, but she could go up them pretty easily. As a result, she peed in my bedroom when I was trying to coax her down the stairs. Also she was afraid of her crate right up until the very end of the night when she finally went inside and slept.

This morning, however, I carried her straight downstairs and baited the stairs with food for an hour or so - now she goes right up and down them with no problems at all. Gotta work on separation anxiety though. I put her in the crate while I showered for 10-15 minutes and when I turned the water off I could hear her howling constantly. She likes to follow me around the entire house, so when I leave for work it's going to be rough I think.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Well we finally did it, put in an application with GPA-NOVA. Or at least I think we did, I hit the button to submit but didn't get a confirmation. I sent an email to make sure they got it. I will be sad if they did not I spent like an hour and a half filling it out. So here we go, fingers crossed!

Yeah, the form doesn't automatically send a confirmation. I've mentioned it to the webmaster before, but it hasn't been fixed.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My dog has buttworms. Super gross dude.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Butt trouble is the worst.
At about 5 this morning, Casey started panting really heavily. I figured he was thirsty, so I let him out of the bedroom, refilled the water bowl, and decided to let them outside while I was up.
When Casey pooped, he yelped. He pooped again and yelped again. I checked his stool for blood, nothing. He wouldn't let me touch his tail to check his behind. I decided to wait till morning and see how he was.

Fine. This morning, he's fine. Knowing him, it was too cold.

Also, a pic of Tess trying to get off the couch.

It took her a while.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

rhoga posted:

Also, a pic of Tess trying to get off the couch.

It took her a while.

Mine likes to do the opposite of that. Front legs on the couch and back legs on the floor because she can't figure out how to get them up there. It's ridiculous.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Were the poops really hard? I've seen both Husker and my sister's Aussie cry when they had hard poops, because they were sensitive flowers who didn't like it when their butts hurt a little.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Nope, very soft. That said, Casey is a sensitive flower, and anything could have been wrong.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Pretty sure we need more Lana pics so she doesn't explode.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

She seems to follow me around all the time and just sleep in whatever room I end up in. Also I think she's gone from wanting to chase tiny dogs to being afraid of tiny dogs.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh my goodnesssssss :3: Man I can't believe what sweethearts every greyhound is.

Union hated being under blankets! How long did she put up with that?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

Oh my goodnesssssss :3: Man I can't believe what sweethearts every greyhound is.

Union hated being under blankets! How long did she put up with that?

Nah she liked it. Really there isn't a lot she won't put up with - except for other dogs so far.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I do wish she'd stop jumping up on my bed and laying down on my pillow. I mean it's cute, but dude seriously there were tapeworm pieces coming out of your rear end not even seven days ago and I PUT MY FACE THERE FOR 7+ HOURS AT A TIME.

Gross dude.

catamar
May 23, 2008
I use decoy pillows.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think at Maximum Dog Bed we had six of the big Costco beds in our house - one in the kitchen, one in the dining room, one in the den, one in the basement, one in our bedroom, and a "floating" one we moved around if we needed to. Husker would just migrate from bed to bed as I went about my day. He always seemed to be snoozing, but if I left the room he would get up and follow me.

I feel like every greyhound I've met has been either very pro-blanket or very anti-blanket.

Once, when we were dogsitting a greyhound named Harley, we draped a blanket over Husker at bedtime (our room got cold at night), and Harley was like, "Hey, where's mine? Whine whine whine." So I draped a blanket over him too. I mentioned it to his owners when they came and got him and they were surprised - they had never tried putting a blanket on him.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah Union had three beds, but mostly because I couldn't be arsed moving one bed all over the place. She did always want to be in whatever room I was in.

This came up on my tumblr, http://youtu.be/RGkiq3W-XGo It is a yearlong video of a greyhound taken in one-second-every-day clips. You get a surprisingly good picture of a sweet doggie :)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I want one of these.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

What is this dark magic?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I dunno but it's also awful pretty dark magic. :ohdear:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I really hope his name is Voodoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's like his body is a wormhole into space.