Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

abagofcheetos posted:

I bought DW8 digital for the PS3, but will absolutely be getting 8+XL for the PS4... it would be nice if they have some sort of discount upgrade program, but that is probably just wishful thinking.

It better have local coop though!

The Japanese have a PS3 to PS4 digital upgrade for DW8wXL so maybe we'll get that overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
These games are coming out for Vita as well, right?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

These games are coming out for Vita as well, right?

Yeah, with some manner of cross play I believe but that may only work with the PS4 version.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DW8wXL is coming to PS3, PS4, and Vita. Samurai Warriors 4 is on both PS3 and Vita but with the way TK supports all platforms I'd be willing to bet we'll get both versions.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just need Warriors Orochi 3 Vita too and I'll be happy as a clam.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Speaking of Samurai Warriors 4, two new characters.

Toyohisa Shimazu, Yoshihiro's nephew

Kojuro Katakura, who was basically Masamune's right hand man

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Suben posted:

Speaking of Samurai Warriors 4, two new characters.

Toyohisa Shimazu, Yoshihiro's nephew

Monster Hunter what?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Brought to you by LensCrafters. You're going to love how you look.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I could be wrong but I'm slowly starting to think these character designs aren't wholly period-accurate.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Well, if it's about the glasses on Kojuro, that's not wholly out of the realm of possibility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but glasses were invented between the 13th and 15th centuries, right? They could've been brought over to Japan at some point. Orrrrr, if this isn't what the above post was concerned with, apologies! :shobon:
Back on topic, I'm curious if Toyohisa handles a little like Xu Huang and Kojuro like a faster Cao Ren given the look of their weapons. Is this Kojuro's first proper appearance in a Samurai Warriors game what with being a BASARA mainstay? I haven't played SW since 2:Empires at the latest.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dual Monarchy posted:

Well, if it's about the glasses on Kojuro, that's not wholly out of the realm of possibility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but glasses were invented between the 13th and 15th centuries, right? They could've been brought over to Japan at some point. Orrrrr, if this isn't what the above post was concerned with, apologies! :shobon:

Yup and Nobunaga beat up Japan with purple nether fireballs, laser eyes and Dracula laughter.

~Zo.~

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Well Kojuro was basically Masamune's number two and chief strategist so I kind of get making him look like Generic Smart Anime Best Friend. Also it's probably to give him a bit more of a western flair like Masamune has.

Edit: Also reading around glasses were first introduced to Japan by a Jesuit missionary in the mid-1500s and started being manufactured in the 1600s.

Suben fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 31, 2013

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Kojuro looks a fair bit like the Sengoku Basara version of Kujuro, which kind of weirds me out. Was he historically known for wearing a that length of coat, tall boots, and having slicked back hair?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Kojuro looks a fair bit like the Sengoku Basara version of Kujuro, which kind of weirds me out. Was he historically known for wearing a that length of coat, tall boots, and having slicked back hair?

Not likely, this is just manga influenced stuff doing what manga influenced stuff does best- stealing something popular and familiar to ensure circulation and sales of their own material.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Whooooo wants 8 minutes of Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends PS3 vs. PS4 comparison footage!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5N8tSQcKk

I think the PS4 version goes to 1080p while the PS3 version only goes 720p, so the perfect comparison seems a bit out of reach but here you go.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DW8xL is one of the reasons I'll be going with a PS4, but right now I'm waiting for a price-drop/more next-gen games.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

DW8xL is one of the reasons I'll be going with a PS4, but right now I'm waiting for a price-drop/more next-gen games.

poo poo just launched, so I hope you're patient.

The most ridiculous thing I remember is how Heavenly Sword on the PS3, a pretty mediocre beat em up with a laughably short campaign, stayed full price on most shelves for nearly four years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
On the Japanese side, DW8 with XL has a 1000 yen upgrade option to the ps4, but I can't tell if you have (digital) DW8 and buy XL separately (digitally) if that still applies. Can anyone tell?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
A while back I was playing some Mount & Blade: Warband. Then this happened :stare:

Unfortunately M&B lacks a "Xiahou Dun" option and I made a miraculous recovery.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the Japanese side, DW8 with XL has a 1000 yen upgrade option to the ps4, but I can't tell if you have (digital) DW8 and buy XL separately (digitally) if that still applies. Can anyone tell?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't - in the store descriptions there's a paragraph about how the full pack has the upgrade option and the standalone XL doesn't. I ended up going with the full pack for that reason, as it ends up only being a tiny bit more than just getting the PS4 version and I can play it in the interim. Not that I needed to, since there's a Musou game every month from September 2013 to March 2014 (assuming you count this month's Sengoku Basara 4, which I do).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Well done KOEI :golfclap:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Chortles posted:

Well done KOEI :golfclap:

What's the reference?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

PureRok posted:

What's the reference?

This story.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I wound up picking up Ken's Rage 2 since I found it for $10. For what it is it's alright but it actually feels like a step backwards in terms of the overly simplified gameplay and especially level set up (go here, kill 100 guys, repeat a few times, boss fight). They wound up making Dream Mode fairly boring and Legend Mode feels more like a series of time trials punctuated by a boss fight (which wind up being annoying because every character with a name/lifebar basically ignores your attacks because they wanted people to use the dodge mechanic).

It's definitely a step up in terms of presentation if nothing else and having just about every goddamn thing in the series is cool if a bit exhausting, especially as you start getting to the end of the Raoh and Kaioh stuff and it feels like you're sitting through cutscenes more than you're actually playing the game. I've never bothered with HNK2 so seeing a lot of that is new and once you get to a point in that story I definitely see why people don't really like it. It's fine enough until Ein dies; second best character after Juza, is bearable up through Han, then falls off a cliff with all the dumb secret origin/real brother/Kaioh (goddamn is he awful) stuff.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Warriors 4 has create-a-warrior, just like the other games in the series. Maybe some day they'll bring it back for Dynasty Warriors main games.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

There's also a new character, Koshosho. She was Motochika's concubine historically but according to legend she was basically Lady Macbeth and the village bicycle. I guess in the game she's intended to be Motochika's rival manipulating people for control of Shikoku. And her design is... yeah...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Suben posted:

There's also a new character, Koshosho. She was Motochika's concubine historically but according to legend she was basically Lady Macbeth and the village bicycle. I guess in the game she's intended to be Motochika's rival manipulating people for control of Shikoku. And her design is... yeah...

This is the Musou series right here, folks. I assume she whacks enemies with those sleeves, like Sanzang in Orochi?

edit: Basara 4 comes out on the 23rd in Japan, I am trying hard to think of a reason not to get it. 3 eventually wore out its welcome for me but only after a lot of good fun.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 12, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is the Musou series right here, folks. I assume she whacks enemies with those sleeves, like Sanzang in Orochi?

Kind of.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu7vySQbgXI

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Kee-ripes.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

And yet it's hardly the most ridiculous thing to appear in the franchise. Which says a lot about said franchise.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Maleketh posted:

And yet it's hardly the most ridiculous thing to appear in the franchise. Which says a lot about said franchise.

It may be ridiculous, but I still can't wait to play the poo poo out of this game. Of all the Warrior franchises, I love me some Samurai.

It's slated for March in Japan, but I believe it's currently on target for a summer 2014 North American release.

Anyone know if it's only on PS3, or will there also be a PS4 release? Also, do we know if every character will have a story-mode this time around?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ScottyBomb posted:

Anyone know if it's only on PS3, or will there also be a PS4 release? Also, do we know if every character will have a story-mode this time around?
It doesn't say anything about PS4 on the official page.

Apparently the story modes are a bit different this time: For the first half there are three that deal with major clans (Oda, Takeda, Tokugawa) and then the others are all regions of Japan (Shikoku, Kyushu, Touhoku, etc), and then once all those are finished, the second half is a single line that leads to Japan being unified.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 13, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've gotten so pampered by PS4 load times that I don't wanna go back.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Apparently the story modes are a bit different this time: For the first half there are three that deal with major clans (Oda, Takeda, Tokugawa) and then the others are all regions of Japan (Shikoku, Kyushu, Touhoku, etc), and then once all those are finished, the second half is a single line that leads to Japan being unified.

Well... that at least sounds better than the SW3 having a handful of characters without storylines.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

That sounds pretty great. I hope that they present the story as well as Dynasty Warriors 7 because I've always had trouble following the story of Samurai Warriors compared to Dynasty Warriors, although I suppose that's mainly because the Sengoku period seems a lot more complicated in general.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I'm getting a used ps3 tomorrow and its time to catch up on all the console games i've missed over a few years, that means 1st priority is going through dw 7,8 and warriors orochi 3 at least. Here's to hoping the ps3 can handle the incoming marathon gaming sessions.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
How does Orochi 3 Hyper run on the Wii U? Is it the definitive version of the game or whatever so far? Never played any other version, just got Dynasty Warriors 7 vanilla and already hooked holy poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Walker posted:

How does Orochi 3 Hyper run on the Wii U? Is it the definitive version of the game or whatever so far? Never played any other version, just got Dynasty Warriors 7 vanilla and already hooked holy poo poo.

It plays at least as well as the other versions but it's no longer the definitive version since Ultimate came out on PS3/Vita, however that hasn't left Japan yet and I don't know if it ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Sakurazuka posted:

It plays at least as well as the other versions but it's no longer the definitive version since Ultimate came out on PS3/Vita, however that hasn't left Japan yet and I don't know if it ever will.

I can't even afford to buy games that come out here really, importing is not an option. What's in Ultimate that's not in Hyper? I'll probably get that.