Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yar The Pirate posted:

The online play is spotty since the game is at the point where most players left are min-max poopsockers but I had a blast playing split screen Dungeon Defenders with my wife. There's a demo on the steam page if you want to try it out.

Dungeon Defenders is definitely something you want to play more casually with friends at this point. Unless one of your friends is one of the aforementioned spergs. Well, that's probably a bit mean but when your friend takes up all the tower slots even though my bowling ball towers are perfect for defending the straight and narrow passageways on this map and leaves you to do nothing but occasionally attack things by hand I might as well not be playing a tower defense game buddy :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sebastian Flyte posted:

For the arcade end of the range, on the top of my personal list is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. It has a ton of licensed cars, great graphics, police chases, and loads of jumps. Made by Criterion, which is pretty much the top dog when it comes to pure arcade racing fun.

I'd recommend getting Burnout Paradise instead. It's old but it's a much better sand box and the cars feel more fair to handle. Other than that, check out Trackmania, starting with Trackmania Nations Forever, since it's free. There's only one car, but the tracks are insanely varies, thanks to the track editor. There's half-pipes, loop-de-loops, wallrides, basically any stunt you could possibly pull in a car, you can do in Trackmania. If you like that, get United, which has more environments, each with their own car and stunt emphasis. They're also generally faster.

Also, check out Nitronic Rush, it's a DigiPen project, but much bigger than anything their students have done before. You can tilt the car in any direction and make it jump on command. This, again, opens up track design to do some crazy poo poo like have you jump off one part of the track, only to roll 180° to keep going on the ceiling. It got popular enough that after the devs graduated, they managed to kickstart a spiritual sequel called Distance, which is now in closed community alpha.

Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed plays great on the PC. It's pretty much the best kart racing game ever, except for maybe Crash Team Racing. It's really fast, controls feel great and the ways they make you boost are really fun. Most of the courses are pretty memorable, too.

As for Grid...the first one is a bit bland, but I guess it's a game. I had fun with it. The second one kinda reminds me of Daytona USA, since it makes you drift around almost every corner. Multiplayer's bog standard lobbies, but the single player bots are really aggressive, though a tad bit too easy at times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking on PC controllers, I found an old wired 360 controller at my parents' place and on a whim I plugged it into my laptop to see if it worked. I tried Cave Story+ and nothing worked, but then I tried it in Bastion and it worked...then stopped working...then worked again and kept flickering on and off at regular short intervals like that. Is there anything special I need to do in order to get a 360 controller working with a Windows 7 machine? I was under the impression that it was simply plug-and-play.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

C-Euro posted:

Speaking on PC controllers, I found an old wired 360 controller at my parents' place and on a whim I plugged it into my laptop to see if it worked. I tried Cave Story+ and nothing worked, but then I tried it in Bastion and it worked...then stopped working...then worked again and kept flickering on and off at regular short intervals like that. Is there anything special I need to do in order to get a 360 controller working with a Windows 7 machine? I was under the impression that it was simply plug-and-play.

Check the breakaway part of the controller's cable. It's the thick black part close to the end. Sometimes the breakaway part might not sit tight enough on each other despite looking normal from the outside. Other than that, it sounds like some other problem with the cable or the USB port.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Randler posted:

Check the breakaway part of the controller's cable. It's the thick black part close to the end. Sometimes the breakaway part might not sit tight enough on each other despite looking normal from the outside. Other than that, it sounds like some other problem with the cable or the USB port.

I tried it again in Cave Story+ and the controls stuck after a few cycles of working/not working (along with flashing lights on the controller's center button), is that just normal behavior when switching for keyboard controls to controller? I've never actually used a 360 controller on a computer until now.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds like the controller cable is busted.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dodoman posted:

That sounds like the controller cable is busted.

drat, my brother said he wasn't sure how well it worked, and I tried it in Super Meat Boy and the game wouldn't stop flickering back and forth between controller and keyboard input. I guess I'll dig out the PS3 controller I have and try to make Motionjoy(?) work reliably again.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Spend a small bit of money and get a Logitech F310. They're like $15-20 and worth every penny. You won't regret it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

I picked a nice cheap wireless 360 controller up and am liking the new dpad a lot more than the one on the wired controller I've had for ages. What's the recommended 360/PC wireless dongle to pick up?

Asking again since nobody answered.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I managed to pick up a Logitech G35 headset for 60 bucks and decided to give it a chance despite being a headset because of the reliability I've had with Logitech products over the years. I like the way it fits and the microphone but I've somehow developed an issue where the left and right channels keep flipping by itself. This is the most bizarre computer related issue I've ever had and obviously it makes playing games like CSGO quite difficult. It happens in every game I've thrown at it. I can temporarily fix it by unplugging it and plugging it back in but that works for like 5 minutes and some games don't have working audio after plugging it back in.

I've looked online and all I can tell is that other people have had this issue and Logitech doesn't seem to acknowledge the problem. Has anyone had this issue with this headset or other similar USB headsets and fixed it? It's driving me crazy.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2013

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Asking again since nobody answered.
You need a proper MS one.

The only way to get an official MS one is to buy the wireless controller marked for windows (box has red on it IIRC) which comes bundled with the dongle.
Otherwise try your luck with a fake official looking one from Amazon or wherever but they are hit or miss.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

hello internet posted:

I managed to pick up a Logitech G35 headset for 60 bucks and decided to give it a chance despite being a headset because of the reliability I've had with Logitech products over the years. I like the way it fits and the microphone but I've somehow developed an issue where the left and right channels keep flipping by itself. This is the most bizarre computer related issue I've ever had and obviously it makes playing games like CSGO quite difficult. It happens in every game I've thrown at it. I can temporarily fix it by unplugging it and plugging it back in but that works for like 5 minutes and some games don't have working audio after plugging it back in.

I've looked online and all I can tell is that other people have had this issue and Logitech doesn't seem to acknowledge the problem. Has anyone had this issue with this headset or other similar USB headsets and fixed it? It's driving me crazy.

The G35 has some weird issues with it's surround sound stuff, occasionally I have to toggle positional audio stuff in mumble because it'll get stuck playing sound through one channel only. You can try toggling the the surround sound switch on the back of the left earpiece and seeing if that does anything for you, or if the game you're having trouble with is fixed by playing with the ingame audio settings for surround sound.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So are there any decent programs that are like razer game booster without being quite as annoying and lovely? Something that just kills all the unnecessary processes that you can turn on/off.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

warcake posted:

The only way to get an official MS one is to buy the wireless controller marked for windows (box has red on it IIRC) which comes bundled with the dongle.
Otherwise try your luck with a fake official looking one from Amazon or wherever but they are hit or miss.

Some folks have reported the fake ones being more reliable than the officials.

Here's what I went with, it's worked great for ~8 months, and..miiight be official (the box it came in surprised me)? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZFCT2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob NewSCART posted:

So are there any decent programs that are like razer game booster without being quite as annoying and lovely? Something that just kills all the unnecessary processes that you can turn on/off.

There's an AMD thing that may still exist. Real answer is it doesn't matter anymore, and if it does get a less poo poo computer.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I missed out on the great wave of RPGs - Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Planescape... If I were to pick one to play, which should it be? I'd like to buy from GOG. This is for a Windows 8.1. laptop.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Planescape has great writing, and Baldur's Gate and its sequel are great as well. Neverwinter Nights was a lot of fun, but it was more multiplayer focused, much less strategic, (since you only had one character instead of a party directly under your control) and the vanilla single player campaign wasn't that great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Neverwinter Nights was awful, gameplay and plot.

Planescape has the best story of the lot but it's only good by the standards of videogame plots, and the gameplay is mostly just clumsy filler between bits of plot so you'd better hope you really like it.

I would probably go with Baldur's Gate 2 (if I were going to play any of them) since it has relatively interesting combat encounters compared to other Infinity Engine games and a ton of content, especially with the expansion.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cool thanks. I was steering toward BG2 so I'll pick it up tonight.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Many consider BG2 to be one of the best RPGs ever, and I agree. Planescape has incredibly beautiful artwork and still looks pretty nice at high resolutions.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Looking to get a new controller for the PC. Kinda wanna get the DS 4. I know it's not well supported yet but its apparently better than the DS3 which I already have.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

spacebrospiff posted:

Looking to get a new controller for the PC. Kinda wanna get the DS 4. I know it's not well supported yet but its apparently better than the DS3 which I already have.

Probably you are like me from 5 years ago, and don't like asymmetry of the 360 controller, but seriously just get a 360 controller. The wired ones don't need any sort of adapter, Windows comes with drivers for it, and most modern games are programmed out the gate to say, "Hey, you've got a 360 controller in one of your ports. Do you want to bind controls to it?"

Hell, Steam will straight-up tell you if a game has gamepad support.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah in my opinion the 360 controller is the best one out their for Windows games. With big picture + games that support it, it is a sweet way to play.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

warcake posted:

It's easy enough to find one on Amazon, you just need to make sure you order one that says "Microsoft" on it. The knockoffs say "Xbox 360." They're easy enough to find if you search Amazon for "Official Microsoft 360 controller adapter."

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Alright, thanks ya'lllll. Got the afterglow 360 controller for 30 bucks.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Neverwinter Nights wasn't awful, but it's not even comparable to the infinity engine games. With Baldur's Gate 2, you can bring over the same character from the first game, so you can start with 1 if that sort of thing appeals to you.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

The controller broke already. Yeahhhhhhhh

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Less than five hours. That has to be a record, right? :lol:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

spacebrospiff posted:

Just get a Logitech F310. It supports XInput and every game pretty much recognizes it as a 360 controller and it has a superior ergonomic and stick design / layout to begin with :can:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It's cheaper too, and Logitech supports the poo poo out of all the stuff they make. So yeah.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The DS4 is awesome and is full-featured on Windows now with bluetooth/USB. You still have to use a 3rd-party program but it's pretty simple and not a garish Chinese piece of garbage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spacebrospiff posted:

Never buy off-brand console controllers. Ever. At least you can probably still return it for a full refund. If you want a cheaper controller, just get the Logitech F310 like people are suggesting.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Burning Mustache posted:

Just get a Logitech F310. It supports XInput and every game pretty much recognizes it as a 360 controller and it has a superior ergonomic and stick design / layout to begin with :can:

I have two of these controllers due to this thread. I have to say, they are drat nice. The sticks/triggers are a little more firm than I was expecting, but other than that they are nice.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Yeah, the left handle keeps rumbling. It works but the rumble never ends. re-installed the drivers and tried on a separate computer. Made it thorough one world of rayman origins before it started. I'm just gonna go for the Logitech or the DS4, YA CAN'T STOP ME. Definitely gonna return it, if they don't give me cash I'm gonna be really sad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So moved into a new place, where for crummy ISP related reasons I've had to eschew my ethernet wallplug internet connection to my computer for a little usb dongle with a fairly weak signal (2-3 bars on the little Windows 7 taskbar graphic). Playing a game online such as Dota 2 sees the action freeze every 10 or so seconds for a few seconds to the extent where a game isn't really feasable, and I'm seeing stuff like BBC IPlayer struggle in a way that doesn't happen on other devices. Would a stronger wi-fi adapter be likely to help?
Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN822N-300MBPS-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B00416Q5KI
instead of what I am currently having to use, which is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICRO-WIR...=item3a7b35d5e5

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you have a desktop I strongly recommend getting a PCI wifi adapter with a tethered antenna. They pick up more much than dongles and you can position them away from your PC to lessen interference.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I mean the USB I have linked has a 1.5m usb cable, which would surely be enough length to lessen interference? Would interference be a possible culprit for the stuttering in streaming of data in online games?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

spacebrospiff posted:

Alright, thanks ya'lllll. Got the afterglow 360 controller for 30 bucks.

:catstare:

The Microsoft one is like $34. Did you just really want a shitload of LEDs on your gamepad, or something? 3rd-party controllers have been poo poo since probably the Nintendo 64.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Burning Mustache posted:

I ended up buying a PS4 controller and installing the DS4 xinput wrapper and I like that a LOT more than either the F310 or the 360 controller. I just hate the convex PS3-style analog sticks the F310 has, and I've always hated the d-pad on 360 controllers. If you don't mind spending more than twice as much, it's hands down my favorite PC controller. As an added bonus, the guy who makes the Xinput wrapper hacked in a way to use the touchpad on the PS4 controller as a mouse, which is great for the odd game that needs mouse input to launch if you're playing from a couch.

It just feels fantastic to use, and the wrapper means that Windows recognizes it as a 360 controller, so compatibility is a non-issue.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I ended up buying a PS4 controller and installing the DS4 xinput wrapper and I like that a LOT more than either the F310 or the 360 controller. I just hate the convex PS3-style analog sticks the F310 has, and I've always hated the d-pad on 360 controllers. If you don't mind spending more than twice as much, it's hands down my favorite PC controller. As an added bonus, the guy who makes the Xinput wrapper hacked in a way to use the touchpad on the PS4 controller as a mouse, which is great for the odd game that needs mouse input to launch if you're playing from a couch.

It just feels fantastic to use, and the wrapper means that Windows recognizes it as a 360 controller, so compatibility is a non-issue.

I already bought it yesterday :getin:

I only had to give the man 30 more dollars so it's like it only cost 30 dollars. That is what I tell myself.

deadly_pudding posted:

:catstare:

The Microsoft one is like $34. Did you just really want a shitload of LEDs on your gamepad, or something? 3rd-party controllers have been poo poo since probably the Nintendo 64.

Don't judge me!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

spacebrospiff posted:

I already bought it yesterday :getin:

I only had to give the man 30 more dollars so it's like it only cost 30 dollars. That is what I tell myself.

You made the right choice. If you haven't already, be sure to grab the Xinput wrapper: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

• Locked thread