Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Caufman posted:

Whoa, I have to disagree about Sword of Islam. Islam is the light, haven't you heard?

Does anyone have a link to that comic of a player who's reluctant to play as a Muslim ruler, and then comes back from Hajj a true believer?
Several pages back, and mostly a lurker in this thread, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are the penalties for destroying a kingdom title? I know revoking it is a -40 vassal opinion so is there anything else?

This is all due to the fact that this little underage prick somehow inherited a second duchy and created the title of Kingdom of Serbia all by himself before I could stop him. (I am super super strict about all duchies being in their de-jur borders and no single person gets more than one). I'm trying to figure out how much damage this is gonna cost me to undo this. There are no kingdoms in the Roman Empire! I'm on an Ironman game so I can't do trial and error.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the penalties for destroying a kingdom title? I know revoking it is a -40 vassal opinion so is there anything else?

This is all due to the fact that this little underage prick somehow inherited a second duchy and created the title of Kingdom of Serbia all by himself before I could stop him. (I am super super strict about all duchies being in their de-jur borders and no single person gets more than one). I'm trying to figure out how much damage this is gonna cost me to undo this. There are no kingdoms in the Roman Empire! I'm on an Ironman game so I can't do trial and error.

-50 to all vassals that are part of the title De Jure. 10 years.

e: the wiki tells me this only applies to the highest-level vassals under said title, but I never care about Counts (as King) or Dukes (as Emperor) so I couldn't say.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 29, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thankfully the Kingdom of Serbia only has two duchies in it and one of them is already controlled by the little kid who loving hates me for revoking the other duchy and trying to kill him. So I guess not much harm there. As you can infer I run a tight ship in my empire with maximum crown authority. No duke so much as loving sneezes without my say so.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 29, 2013

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok, so what the hell did I do wrong here?

I'm the king of Greater Scotland. I'm trying to form the Scottish Empire. No mods, latest version 2.0.3. At one point I produce a two male heirs who also have a weak claim to England. I manage to install my first son on the English throne, and spend the next ten years helping him fight off the endless bullshit unhappy vassal wars.

My goal is to elect him monarch of Scotland as well, so that when I die I will then be king of England and Scotland, thus Emperor. Turns out none of the electors are going for it - I guess they won't elect a 'foreigner' as my Kingson doesn't hold any Scottish titles. I guess I'll just wait till I'm dead and press the second son's claim, as I could easily defeat England with my personal levies + retinue.

At the same time, I am warring against the Petty Kingdom of Deuheubarth or whatever as they hold one of the last Irish counties not under my control, one which a key ally Uncle-Duke desires. So I press it, and ask my Kingson to ally with me, as I notice he has thousands of dudes just sorta hanging around in Wales.

All plans go to poo poo, and my impatient bratty second son, Duke of Albany, decides to press his own claim. He gets multiple other dukes and counts involved as well, as most of the Scottish title holders are of my dynasty. I, the King, am more or less the only Scotsman not beating down the door to the current Scottish English dynasty. I'm still allies with my son the English king, watching a brutal family civil war over the English crown. I don't really care who wins, my King is 60, ill, and depressed.

Finally I kick it and I become King Second Son. I'm still at war with my brother the King, except now we're allies at war. He's got -37% warscore and I can't siege him or attack him, just watch him pick apart my brainless relatives uncoordinated reinforcements. I can't declare white peace because he feels like he's winning. Where did I go wrong? Why are we still allies? Is it because I asked for his assistance in a minor war before the major war kicked off? Did I inherit an alliance against myself?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 29, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The single best part of having everything doled out to your dynasty is watching the stuff that happens when some poor bastard decides now is his time to take the duchy. Or press a de jure claim. Or, you know, touch us when he's the wrong religion.

As a side question: do Sultanates get magic troops? When he was banished to a final four-holding Spanish county with two vassals (who hated him) the Sultan of Mauretania still could still field 9k guys pulled from somewhere. How he got that county in the first place was odd, since it was held by a Christian and he only had a single holding there. When he was kicked out of Mauretania proper it just gave him the county and control of everything for some reason.

The Hammadid Sultanate rose up from having two counties (and I think just two holdings) to take over Mali. That seemed odd, and when I checked he had ~19k guys in his Realm Tree.

Edit: obviously pre-2.0 numbers, so it may have been a bug or something.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Event troops count towards it until they get destroyed, so if they got given a bunch (say, from a decadence revolt), then that would inflate it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Mailer posted:

As a side question: do Sultanates get magic troops? When he was banished to a final four-holding Spanish county with two vassals (who hated him) the Sultan of Mauretania still could still field 9k guys pulled from somewhere.
If they're Shia it was probably the Hashashin holy order.

Mailer posted:

How he got that county in the first place was odd, since it was held by a Christian and he only had a single holding there. When he was kicked out of Mauretania proper it just gave him the county and control of everything for some reason.

Same thing happened to me when I conquered Venezia. They only had a single city, besides Venezia, in a county in Sicily, but when I won the war they immediately gained control of all holdings in that county.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Hopefully something like this will be in Crusader Kings 3. It would be cool if your spy network was an actual thing- so unless you have spies everywhere you only have detailed information about your realm, your neighbours and the more famous foreign rulers. So the player as an Irish Earl wouldn't know that a Sicilian Count is gay or that an Ethiopian Bishop's second daughter is a genius.

No, that would be bad. I like to search for interesting rulers who seem to be ascending and follow their path while I build my realm. Seeing the insane Norse SUNNI king of Scotland conquer the British Isles (while I was busy becoming the richest Doge ever) was glorious, I don't want to miss that.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I'll repost since it seems to have gotten lost...

I have a large empire and put down a rebellion. I'm doing the normal revoke-and-redistribute-titles thing, however, it won't let me revoke The Kingdom of Mali from my vassal because it's against the Crown Laws of Mali.

Is this right? Seems like a bug.

Also, are there mods for the character search function? Like the ability to add more filters?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

crm posted:

I'll repost since it seems to have gotten lost...

I have a large empire and put down a rebellion. I'm doing the normal revoke-and-redistribute-titles thing, however, it won't let me revoke The Kingdom of Mali from my vassal because it's against the Crown Laws of Mali.

Is this right? Seems like a bug.

Also, are there mods for the character search function? Like the ability to add more filters?

Mali will be following their own Crown Laws if they are outside your empire's de jure borders until you drift them in. If their CA is too low then you cannot revoke titles in that realm. I think. I don't usually continue playing big empires, but that's what I remember from my Roman Empire game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Mali will be following their own Crown Laws if they are outside your empire's de jure borders until you drift them in. If their CA is too low then you cannot revoke titles in that realm. I think. I don't usually continue playing big empires, but that's what I remember from my Roman Empire game.

e : Misunderstood. If you gave your vassal the title, he now controls the laws until the kingdom drifts into your empire and knuc is correct.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 29, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Why is the AI Romuva king of Lithuania not only taking part in my save's version of the Fourth Crusade for Jerusalem, but also winning it? :psyduck:

I haven't been this excited for my king to die in a long time, though. I've got 4 sons, each with martial score above 18, each with the ambitious trait, and each in control of different duchies both within and without my kingdom. :suspense:

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 29, 2013

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think I'm beginning to understand this game a little more, although watching some tutorial videos on youtube was very helpful. The main thing I had to get used to is that the game seems to be much more slow moving compared to EU4.

Considering I just have the base game, which of the DLC is actually worthwhile? I've noticed that most of it is on sale on steam until January 2nd and I've been eyeing The Old Gods.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

I think I'm beginning to understand this game a little more, although watching some tutorial videos on youtube was very helpful. The main thing I had to get used to is that the game seems to be much more slow moving compared to EU4.

Considering I just have the base game, which of the DLC is actually worthwhile? I've noticed that most of it is on sale on steam until January 2nd and I've been eyeing The Old Gods.

Ranked from best to worst (but still good).

1. The Old Gods has the most content, and playing a viking makes a ton of fun. Even Catholic games can be quite different due to the earlier start date.

2. Legacy of Rome has retinues. And recreating the Roman Empire is something everybody should have done at least once. I can only recommend it. Besides, I have no idea how I would hold big realms together without retinues, and since everybody else seems to have LoR as well, I don't know how much advice you can get from us.

3. The Republic can be fun, playing a merchant republic is quite different from playing a feudal ruler. And it has a ton of nice events, including a Romeo and Juliet rip-off. But you should definitely get LoR first if you want to play a merchant republic, since they seem to be designed specifically with retinues in mind.

4. Sword of Islam let's you play Muslims, and since they make up a big part of the map it opens really new possibilities. Some people dislike having to manage decadence, but I personally like playing Muslims.

5. Sons of Abraham enhances the gameplay for Christians (Catholic and Orthodox), Muslims and heresies (some Christian heresies can get their own pope, a heresy can displace it's parent religion and become the new parent religion, etc.) and enables playing Jews. I think it is a nice DLC but if you have none of the other DLC's you should start with them and buy SoA when it goes on sale.

The face/unit/song packs are purely cosmetic.

Edit: Oh, forget Sunset Invasion. It is not bad for an experienced player who is bored with a relatively safe Western Europe. But it is the least interesting of the major DLC's.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 29, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

MrBling posted:

It depends on what you want to play. Some of them only unlock certain religions or government types for player use, so they're useless if you're doing the normal Catholic Feudal Lord play. The only one I'd say is always useful is Legacy of Rome, just because retinues are that much of a game-changer. Then grab the relevant DLC to the religion / playstyle you want to go with:
  • Muslims: Sword of Islam
  • Orthodox: Legacy of Rome
  • Catholics or Jews: Sons of Abraham
  • Non-Abrahamic religions: The Old Gods

• Merchant Republics: The Republic
  • Earlier start date: The Old Gods
  • More difficult Western Europe: Sunset Invasion

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MrBling posted:

The Old Gods is probably the biggest and most fun of the expansions, in my opinion. The rest are pretty a la carte depending on how you want to play the game. Wanna play Muslims? Get Sword of Islam. Wanna play Republics? Get The Republic. Wanna play in the Eastern Roman Empire? Get Legacy of Rome, etc. Old Gods has the virtue of giving you new play styles (being able to play as Norse, Romuva, Slav, Tengri, Zoroastrian, Finnish, and African pagans) while also unlocking the 867 start date, which is pretty neat in its own right.

Sons of Abraham is also great, but instead of really adding new play to the game, it just makes things a bit deeper and adds some really great mechanics and events.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I'd actually recommend Sons of Abraham regardless of the religion you want to play. It adds a lot of depth to religion in general, even though its focus is on the Abrahamic religions. It allows for holy orders to be unlocked for all religions, meaning that you can have holy orders dedicated to protecting the sanctity of Romuva lands for an example, and a number of the religious events apply to all the faiths.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
So, in my current game the Unruochinger Kings of Italy played the College of Cardinals game a bit too well. One of their dynasty became Pope Stephen V. That guy then also inherited the Kingdom of Italy. Which is now the Theocracy of Italy, held by Stephen's successor, lowborn Pope Victor II. Truly the Kingdom of God. :catholic:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

How much of an improvement is CKII over CKI? I don't think my computer can handle CKII.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
CK2, just released, was a vast improvement on CK1. With all the love and care by patch and expansion, they're no longer in the same league.

Try the demo, it should give you a good idea if you can run it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
For anyone who cares I've been working on the horde invasion event in my Sonendar mod, where the doom-stacks just won't spawn for some unexplainable reason. After bashing my head futilely against this, I've been considering that, instead of a horde spawn event, I could work around this in another way.

Stage 1:

- Infected courtiers start to show up in random counties in Northringar (the northernmost continent).
- Once they appear, playable rulers can get a decision to imprison them for free.
- Infected courtiers get an event where they attack another random courtier (including you), which has a 50% chance of dying, or getting infected.
- Once imprisoned, you may either execute them or try to cure them. Execution gives you nothing, attempting to cure gives a 75% of infection and a 25% chance of killing the afflicted courtier but gaining some extra culture/economy/military points and prestige.
- If a character is infected, their culture flips to The Hungry Ones, their government changes to Cognatic Open Elective, their religion changes to The Abyssal Elders, and their dynasty changes to be the same dynasty, and they get a free invasion CB on any non-infected neighbor.
- Infected rulers have a chance to flip provinces they control to The Hungry Ones
- Totally infected provinces have a chance to spawn small event troop stacks for their liege if their liege is at war.

Stage 2:
- Once at least one ruler in Northringar becomes infected, it activates a global narrative event that sends word of the spread of the infection
- If a coastal county in Northringar becomes infected, it activates a global flag that allows for an event where rulers on other continents are said to be finding boats of fleeing refugees washing up onshore, some of which contain infected refugees.
- Once that event fires, random infected courtiers will start to show up in coastal counties
- Rulers of non-infected countries now get a free holy war CB on infected rulers

So the end result would be hordes, but it'd spread more through infiltration than by straight-up invasion, at the outset at least. A ruler who wasn't prudent enough would wake up to find that all of a sudden half his courtiers are infected. Also, the mutual hatred between the healthy and the infected and the free CBs would mean the world would be plunged into war, as I was intending.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Did the patch or something bug out the Golden Horde invasions? They finally arrived in my game (loving Old Gods start date takes forever) and they seem to have stalled out, they have a nice patch of land but they're on their 9th Mongol Invasion of something and they keep losing.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
For some reason in my game they kept trying to invade places like Croatia or whatever instead of, well, the easy Muslims to the south or even places like Perm.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

No, that would be bad. I like to search for interesting rulers who seem to be ascending and follow their path while I build my realm. Seeing the insane Norse SUNNI king of Scotland conquer the British Isles (while I was busy becoming the richest Doge ever) was glorious, I don't want to miss that.

What I suggested was that such famous (ie high prestige) rulers as your Norse Sunni King of Scots should be visible to other characters. I meant that without an expansive spy network obscure characters should not be visible.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

derkaiser posted:

So, in my current game the Unruochinger Kings of Italy played the College of Cardinals game a bit too well. One of their dynasty became Pope Stephen V. That guy then also inherited the Kingdom of Italy. Which is now the Theocracy of Italy, held by Stephen's successor, lowborn Pope Victor II. Truly the Kingdom of God. :catholic:

Full-blown King tier theocracies can still happen? :woop:

(It would also be kinda neat if realm flags changed to reflect things like government style and ruling culture a la Victoria, but that probably wouldn't work with the way CKII handles flags. Oh well, chalk another one up for "CKIII Wish List".)

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DrSunshine posted:

For anyone who cares I've been working on the horde invasion event in my Sonendar mod, where the doom-stacks just won't spawn for some unexplainable reason. After bashing my head futilely against this, I've been considering that, instead of a horde spawn event, I could work around this in another way.

Stage 1:

- Infected courtiers start to show up in random counties in Northringar (the northernmost continent).
- Once they appear, playable rulers can get a decision to imprison them for free.
- Infected courtiers get an event where they attack another random courtier (including you), which has a 50% chance of dying, or getting infected.
- Once imprisoned, you may either execute them or try to cure them. Execution gives you nothing, attempting to cure gives a 75% of infection and a 25% chance of killing the afflicted courtier but gaining some extra culture/economy/military points and prestige.
- If a character is infected, their culture flips to The Hungry Ones, their government changes to Cognatic Open Elective, their religion changes to The Abyssal Elders, and their dynasty changes to be the same dynasty, and they get a free invasion CB on any non-infected neighbor.
- Infected rulers have a chance to flip provinces they control to The Hungry Ones
- Totally infected provinces have a chance to spawn small event troop stacks for their liege if their liege is at war.

Stage 2:
- Once at least one ruler in Northringar becomes infected, it activates a global narrative event that sends word of the spread of the infection
- If a coastal county in Northringar becomes infected, it activates a global flag that allows for an event where rulers on other continents are said to be finding boats of fleeing refugees washing up onshore, some of which contain infected refugees.
- Once that event fires, random infected courtiers will start to show up in coastal counties
- Rulers of non-infected countries now get a free holy war CB on infected rulers

So the end result would be hordes, but it'd spread more through infiltration than by straight-up invasion, at the outset at least. A ruler who wasn't prudent enough would wake up to find that all of a sudden half his courtiers are infected. Also, the mutual hatred between the healthy and the infected and the free CBs would mean the world would be plunged into war, as I was intending.

This all sounds great! A bit more interesting than giant army appears and rolls everyone.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

By what means do holy orders take command of countries?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, I went and bought The Old Gods and Legacy of Rome and started a new game.

I'm faffing about in the baltic now, having formed the Duchy of Courland and I suppose eventually I will try and become Lithuania. It seems I would need to reform the religion to actually change the succession laws though, so I will have to look into that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baron Porkface posted:

By what means do holy orders take command of countries?

Either winning a crusade, or someone who hired them didn't pay their bills and they declared war on them in return. (Don't know if that can actually happen with holy orders, but I'd assume so, because it can with merecenary bands.)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I recently downloaded the newest Game of Thrones mod (v5) and have found that they've implemented a really in-depth chattel slavery game mechanic. Dunno what else to say, but CK2 is now a game where you can own and breed slaves with the best of them. It's... a problematic feature.

What really gets me is that, after browsing through the files related to the feature, it's a kind of complex thing that some very dedicated modder really wanted in the game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
We're talking about a mod team that decided having a trait to define widowers to prevent Tywin from remarrying was a swell idea. Also a dedicated trait for each named valyrian weapon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nutranurse posted:

So I recently downloaded the newest Game of Thrones mod (v5) and have found that they've implemented a really in-depth chattel slavery game mechanic. Dunno what else to say, but CK2 is now a game where you can own and breed slaves with the best of them. It's... a problematic feature.

What really gets me is that, after browsing through the files related to the feature, it's a kind of complex thing that some very dedicated modder really wanted in the game.

Slavery and emancipation is pretty integral to the story in the later books and a key part of a certain someone's rise to power, so I'm not surprised.

That being said: you actually got the mod to run? I and everyone I've talked to about it can't seem to get past crash-to-desktop on the loading screen, regardless of reinstalls/deselecting DLCs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Allyn posted:

Either winning a crusade, or someone who hired them didn't pay their bills and they declared war on them in return. (Don't know if that can actually happen with holy orders, but I'd assume so, because it can with merecenary bands.)

You pay them with Piety though don't you? Having them conquer a duchy to collect on their bill would be a bit odd.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

You pay them with Piety though don't you? Having them conquer a duchy to collect on their bill would be a bit odd.

Their initial cost is Piety; their upkeep is gold.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

nutranurse posted:

How is that any worse than concubines, murdering infants or castrating 5-year old boys? Slavery is a pretty integral part of Essos which is why they added it at the same time.

Drone posted:

That being said: you actually got the mod to run? I and everyone I've talked to about it can't seem to get past crash-to-desktop on the loading screen, regardless of reinstalls/deselecting DLCs.
Works for me at least.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Allyn posted:

Holy orders can only attack people not of their faith, though, and you can only hire them if you have the same faith.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Riso posted:

We're talking about a mod team that decided having a trait to define widowers to prevent Tywin from remarrying was a swell idea. Also a dedicated trait for each named valyrian weapon.

I've not played the Game of Thrones mod, why is the widower thing bad? It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. It's always a bit weird in vanilla when someone instantly gets married to a 16 year old when their beloved wife of 50 years dies.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

marktheando posted:

I've not played the Game of Thrones mod, why is the widower thing bad? It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. It's always a bit weird in vanilla when someone instantly gets married to a 16 year old when their beloved wife of 50 years dies.

At the very least, it would be interesting to have a temporary "heartbreak" trait that would block marriage proposals and reduce health. Even better if its duration would correspond with the length of the marriage, but I don't even know if the game saves that data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DStecks posted:

At the very least, it would be interesting to have a temporary "heartbreak" trait that would block marriage proposals and reduce health. Even better if its duration would correspond with the length of the marriage, but I don't even know if the game saves that data.

Even if it doesn't, would it be terrible for the modders to do it themselves? I know the game saves imprisonment dates, so maybe introducing a "date_married_to_wife" variable could perform the same function. I have literally no idea about modding the game though, it's just a thought.

• Locked thread