Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Medium Cool posted:

I don't want to come across as overly negative, I really do want to like it because I like Bendis as a writer a lot. Miles just seems so much like Peter and if we're going to kill Peter I'd rather the guy taking up his mask feel more like a distinct character. You're right though, I need to read more before I pass my final judgment.

You best drop it he basically is the same.

I mean its still really well written but if that is a dealbreaker then you might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They're both the quippy smart-aleck with the mask on.

With it off, they're very different characters. Miles has a very level head although he's prone to freakouts and is more or less a straight shooter. He's also a fairly typical kid and isn't a scientific genius. He only jokes around once the mask is on, with a weird sense to it like he's only doing it because he's Spider-Man and it's expected of him.

Peter acted much the same whether the mask was on or off, but the mask gave him the courage to do things he wouldn't otherwise do, all the moreso because Bendis liked to have him lose the mask every twelve seconds, or get into big fights without his costume.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Don't forget to read Ultimate Fallout (1, 2, and 6 are the important ones) as well as Spider-men (after you've gone a few issues into Miles). A lot of the supporting characters are in there, and we get closure on... some things and it's really quite touching.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Argue posted:

Don't forget to read Ultimate Fallout (1, 2, and 6 are the important ones) as well as Spider-men (after you've gone a few issues into Miles). A lot of the supporting characters are in there, and we get closure on... some things and it's really quite touching.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem is also a very beautiful story in so many ways.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

So, anyone see this?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/29/ultimate-comics-spider-man-is-done/

I hope Bendis is just being goofy and overly literal here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DFu4ever posted:

So, anyone see this?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/29/ultimate-comics-spider-man-is-done/

I hope Bendis is just being goofy and overly literal here.

If he is being overly literal than the rest of the quote makes no sense.

He could be loving around though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I gonna get so mad about comic books if Ultimate Spidey actually ends. Double mad if Miles gets thrown into the 616 woodchipper of teen heroes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Bendis has a secret book in March. Miles is not dead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We at least need Superior Spider-Men first

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

I want an Ultimate Spidey Super Stories :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

I want an Ultimate Spidey Super Stories :colbert:

There's absolutely no way that Bendis could ever be as concise as "I am the Silver Surfer and I am sad and blue! My powers can do anything except find me a friend!".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In that post there's a link to something he said five days ago about being excited to make it Ultimate Spider-Man 200. So it seems that he has continuity issues even when screwing with his fans.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/43443054898/first-off-i-want-to-say-i-have-been-loving-everything

Oh god, the ultimate universe ISN'T getting blown up? I-I'm tearing up. I was scared, it was one of the few comic-lines I actually cared about :D

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That was from ten months ago, a lot of stuff can change in ten months.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

SirDan3k posted:

That was from ten months ago, a lot of stuff can change in ten months.

Why do you make me doubt this :qq:

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bendis is just loving with us. Don't believe anything until the books are solicited (and the printed).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I could've sworn I read something about Spider-Men 2 being indefinitely delayed due to Spock. I could be wrong, though.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

notthegoatseguy posted:

I could've sworn I read something about Spider-Men 2 being indefinitely delayed due to Spock. I could be wrong, though.

Pretty much. I think Bendis said Ultimate Spider-Man's event arc is supposed to be his replacement for that story given Peter's current issue of being dead.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Huh. Dimension hopping Spider-man made me notice that there's different fonts in the same comic. Sentence case in UU and upper case in 616. Never noticed that before.

Kind of cute.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm only reading Ultimate Spider-Man, and only since Miles. Is there a lot of significance to JJJ in today's issue?
He's obviously about to do something (stupid cliffhanger. Now I have to read the rest of this event), but is there anything big I'm missing in him turning up on the plane?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Sion posted:

Huh. Dimension hopping Spider-man made me notice that there's different fonts in the same comic. Sentence case in UU and upper case in 616. Never noticed that before.

Kind of cute.

It happened in Spider-Men too! The fonts changed when Peter went to the UU. (read spider-men)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Superior and U. Spideys "encounter" was loving hilarious. Oh Spock :allears:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can we stop calling him Spock? It's confusing.

Also, there's weird fanart.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Superior and U. Spideys "encounter" was loving hilarious. Oh Spock :allears:

I'm behind in the issues, what's the series that has this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm behind in the issues, what's the series that has this?

Cataclysm #3. Just came out today.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait for my subscription to Ultimate Spidey to run out. Tired of getting my issues weeks after they're in stores. Ugh.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ultimate Spidey was intense. Ultimate JJJ's scenes are always very touching, and this whole Cataclysm event has been a really nice look back at the line that got me into comics in the first place way back in the early 00's. I hope the Ultimate characters persist in some form after this event is over.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Say Nothing posted:

Can we stop calling him Spock? It's confusing.

Also, there's weird fanart.

I personally wanted him to be called Dr. Parkerpus, but I guess people preferred something shorter.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cataclysm #3. Just came out today.

Is there a standalone book called just 'Cataclysm' or is this Cataclysm:Ultimates, Cataclysm:Ultimate Spider-man, Cataclysm:UnnecessaryBoogaloo, or...?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The main one (Cataclysm: The Ultimates Last Stand).

The U. Spidey tie-in is pretty good. No idea about the others.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Ultimates tie in has nothing to do with the story and the X-Men one kind of has something to do with the story but I don't care about it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Eh, nevermind.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 10, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultimate universe is getting NOWified.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/In-Marvel-s-Ultimate-universe-fate-looms-large-5130248.php

'All-New Ultimates' (Miles Morales, Bombshell, Cloak, Dagger, Black Widow and Kitty Pryde) by Michel Fiffe/Amilcar Pinna
'Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man' by B.M.Bendis/David Marquez
'Ultimate "FF"' (Tony Stark, Sue Storm and ...) by J.H.Fialkov/Mario Guevara

e: Stop reading if you'd like to miss a couple of broad spoilers for Cataclysm.

quote:

It's the end of the world for Marvel's Ultimate universe, but it's a beginning, too.

Fourteen years after its creation by Marvel Entertainment as a modern, grittier and contemporary take on Marvel's characters, the publisher is pushing forward with new efforts to reinvigorate its universe where the dead remain so and disaster, discord and — ultimately — redemption and rebirth are among the events that keep readers coming back issue after issue.

What it means for characters like Miles Morales; members of the FF (Future Foundation, not Fantastic Four); and the All New Ultimates, including Black Widow, Kitty Pryde, Bombshell and Cloak and Dagger, will unfold beginning in April as the events of the soon-to-end "Cataclysm" mini-series runs its course.

Writer Brian Michael Bendis is tight-lipped about the end but said this week that it ends with great cost.

"They're able to win the day, but at great sacrifice, a sacrifice that is so huge that it changes the entire landscape," said Bendis. "It creates a place that demands a fresh start from everyone who surveys it."

The move is part of Marvel Entertainment's relaunching of its Ultimate universe that starts in April under the banner Ultimate Marvel NOW!

Editor-in-chief Axel Alonso called it the opportunity to tear down the existing universe to make it better.

"Once again, we're destroying something and building something new, but there's an end game in sight," he said of the move, noting that Marvel's so-called Ultimate universe has always been noted by readers, writers and artists and editors for its "elasticity" and experimentation.

"We created the line to take chances," he said.

"Dead is dead," he said, so don't expect any miraculous resurrections. "The long and short of it is this: The Ultimate (universe) benefits from a good, old kick in the butt."

It's also a chance for other characters to take larger roles in place of long-standing ones.

"If you've been following Brian Bendis and David Marquez's 'Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, you know that Miles Morales, has had to grow up fast," said editor Mark Paniccia. "In 'All-New Ultimates,' we'll see this eclectic group of super-powered teens step up, live fast and maybe even die hard" in the new series written by Michel Fiffe and drawn by Amilcar Pinna.

Bendis said Morales, who took up the Spider-Man mantle after the death of Peter Parker, is among those characters who finds himself in new territory, too.

"You can look at this as kind of his Bar Mitzvah of sorts and, now, he has to take the reins of Spider-Man under the new world he finds himself in," he said of the upcoming "Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man" series drawn by Marquez.

"His entire life as a human being has changed."

For others, the change is going to be rapid, and unexpected, said Joshua Hale Fialkov, writer of "Ultimate FF," a team book drawn by Mario Guevara focusing on several core members that make up the Future Foundation.

"It's a team of geniuses, four of the smartest people in the Ultimate universe," he said, of the core that includes Sue Storm and Tony Stark, among others. "And we're missing one, and that one happens to be a psychopath."

Fialkov called the titles an opportunity for Marvel and readers.

"We have a pretty big responsibility with this universe. No. 1., it has been a gateway for people back into films and we want to be innovative, doing things different with these characters that you cannot get anywhere else.

"We look at the opportunity 'Cataclysm' gave us to reset the board," he said, "and do some really cool stuff with the characters."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 10, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So as expected it's just that the Ultimate Universe isn't ending and it's another reshuffle teams and relaunch with new #1s to try and give it a boost.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love that The Ultimates are the kids from Spider-Man. Weird then that Bendis doesn't want to write it, and double weird that as far as I can find that Michel Fiffe guy is coming out of self publishing a comic on Etsy to do it.
Good luck, guy. :)

e: This guy loving loves the Suicide Squad

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 10, 2014

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I'm pretty psyched. I know not many people have checked it out since distribution is limited but COPRA is pretty loving good.

Who's the red-head in that picture though? Is it *another* Black Widow?

I'm a little bummed there's no new Ultimate X-Men title. Wood did a great jump of bringing that book up from the gutter Spencer left it in after the last relaunch.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Who's the red-head in that picture though? Is it *another* Black Widow?

I'm guessing that's Jessica Drew trading the identity. It'd be weird if she wasn't in the gang, unless, you know.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The fact Jessica isn't on the line-up is kinda foreboding. Nice to see Cloak, Dagger and Bombshell make the cut, though.

^^ Oh, I suppose you could be on to something there.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Interesting that there's no x-men book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Michel Fiffe writing a Marvel comic is crazy, but knowing the very strained relationship between the crowd that Fiffe comes from and Marvel, he is not going to stay there for long. Copra owns and I am glad that Marvel editors keep an eye out for good comics out of the usual circle (and big thanks to Chris Sims cheerleading for DEATHZONE and Copra, I guess).

• Locked thread