Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

You know, it's possible to legitimately argue this position. It's possible to legitimately argue just about any position.

But Jesus Christ that is some horrible horrible writing. It's... needlessly affected, dodges points left and right, never engages with the actual aesthetics of the work (and instead just focuses on the "It's racist"/"But it's about POOR PEOPLE" dichotomy), and, well...

ufarn posted:

It's Slate(TM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Watched Top of the Lake today. This was recommended in the aftermatch of The Killing season 1 as a better execution of a similar premise. At its peak, The Killing was the better show, but on balance, I would have to say it is a superior series, in no small part because it actually has an ending.

I haven't finished the first episode and I am ALL THE WAY IN. So much texture to it already, a world that seems deep, and characters I already have ridiculously strong opinions on. Happy to finally give it a shot. I think I might have Wire-d myself here (something universally praised irrationally making you hesitant to take it up yourself). A weird tic of mine.

Oh, and the Arrow season finale was good and fun. They don't seem to be too condescending to their audience, even if it does seem like a slightly cleaned up version of a good eighties action show. And I can't get enough of the whole anti-elite angle they have (helps to round the sharp corners of the superhero genre, whose morality can get pretty squishy). Being a comic nerd also helps with the appreciation I think.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hey precision I finished Rectify. It's just barely off my list this year but i'll def make sure to put it in advance consideration for next year when S2 rolls around.

drat good show though, absolutely heartwrenching and surreal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I haven't finished the first episode and I am ALL THE WAY IN. So much texture to it already, a world that seems deep, and characters I already have ridiculously strong opinions on. Happy to finally give it a shot. I think I might have Wire-d myself here (something universally praised irrationally making you hesitant to take it up yourself). A weird tic of mine.

Oh, and the Arrow season finale was good and fun. They don't seem to be too condescending to their audience, even if it does seem like a slightly cleaned up version of a good eighties action show. And I can't get enough of the whole anti-elite angle they have (helps to round the sharp corners of the superhero genre, whose morality can get pretty squishy). Being a comic nerd also helps with the appreciation I think.

I watched The Fall after I watched Top of the Lake. They share a lot of the same themes, but both of the main characters have exactly opposite ways of navigating the patriarchal structures which dominate their lives. Also the main character doesn't have secret rape trauma. I'm kind of tired of writers going to the secret rape past well whenever they need to have a character have a past trauma to overcome. I get that it makes a lot of sense in TotL in that it's largely about the interaction between power and sex in the patriarchy, but it's like, oh this female character is cryptically alluding to something awful that happened in her past I WONDER WHAT IT WAS???? "Well, it wasn't rape this time smart guy", "WAS IT A ABORTION???", ">_>".

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 30, 2013

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
That was definitely an interesting post to make to a person who just said they haven't even finished the first episode yet.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Top of the Lake from what I thought it would be. Getting to the end was a relief instead of a satisfactory vague sadness. That's never really a good sign for a TV show. The Elizabeth Moss accent game did not disappoint though!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm you're probably right, even though my point was it's not ever really a surprise when it happens.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is Thomas Friedman reviewing TV shows under a pseudonym?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Djeser posted:

I've been watching American Horror Story on Netflix and it seems like total crap.

Am I alone in this opinion? I saw it won awards but I can't tell why it would. The first season was dumb and cliche and the second season was dumb and uncomfortable and cliche.

I only made it 6-7 episodes into the first season and stopped, just seemed to be a 12 hour long sanitized horror movie trying to be weird for weirdness sake.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So! Black Sails! Starz'll tell you that it's a pirate action-adventure series that's executive produced by Michael Bay. What they're NOT telling you is that it was co-created by Jonathan E. Steinberg, who previously created Human Target and co-created Jericho. The other co-creator, Robert Levine, ALSO worked on Human Target and Jericho.

And like Human Target, they got Bear McCreary to do the music, particularly this BITCHIN' OP.

Also, the pilot episode is being handled by Neil Marshall, whom you know from directing GoT's "Blackwater" and the John Carpenter love letter Doomsday.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Pros: season 1 of Jericho

Cons: season 2 of Jericho

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sophia posted:

The Elizabeth Moss accent game did not disappoint though!

Did you mean the game of guess which accent she is attempting? She made a good attempt for sure but I don't think any real person has actually ever talked like that.

It's a really great series though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

So! Black Sails! Starz'll tell you that it's a pirate action-adventure series that's executive produced by Michael Bay. What they're NOT telling you is that it was co-created by Jonathan E. Steinberg, who previously created Human Target and co-created Jericho. The other co-creator, Robert Levine, ALSO worked on Human Target and Jericho.

And like Human Target, they got Bear McCreary to do the music, particularly this BITCHIN' OP.

Also, the pilot episode is being handled by Neil Marshall, whom you know from directing GoT's "Blackwater" and the John Carpenter love letter Doomsday.

Starz also liked what they saw so much that they ordered a second season before the first episode even aired.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Starz also liked what they saw so much that they ordered a second season before the first episode even aired.

That's par for the course for Starz; they also pre-loaded second seasons of Boss and Magic City, and as you know they are flourishing critical and commercial successes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I caught a couple episodes of Martin while channel surfing. It's incredible how poorly this show has aged, the outfits are hilarious. My wife never watched the show when she was a kid and she's just staring at the TV with a look of utter bewilderment on her face.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

That's par for the course for Starz; they also pre-loaded second seasons of Boss and Magic City, and as you know they are flourishing critical and commercial successes.

Hey, Boss was a good show. Magic City not so much.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

DivisionPost posted:

Also Dog Soldiers, The Descent and Centurion.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

:allears: Bear McCreary :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that Netflix streaming movies and TV expire is front loving page news on cnn.com this morning.

That being said, today's your last chance to watch Kids in the Hall.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw Braveheart because it's being removed. Those huge battles don't look that amazing anymore.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

zoux posted:

The fact that Netflix streaming movies and TV expire is front loving page news on cnn.com this morning.

That being said, today's your last chance to watch Kids in the Hall.

I hate this. I mean, I understand the reasons behind this, and that's fine, but my problem with it is that I never realize that something is coming off Netflix until like a day or two before it happens. I never got to finish King of the Hill, never got to re-watch Spaced, and now I won't get to start Kids in the Hall. Oh well, I don't watch as much TV as I used to and there is still plenty on Netflix. And with any luck Netflix will bring them back someday.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw Braveheart because it's being removed. Those huge battles don't look that amazing anymore.

If you think Braveheart is lackluster now go back and rewatch Gladiator. It'll make you question your entire teenage years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've always hated Gladiator :smug:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

zoux posted:

I've always hated Gladiator :smug:

Like 'The Matrix' is was a big victim of hype for me. I heard so many people tell me how GREAT it was that I came away underwhelmed. I appreciate parts of both movies but neither is as good was made out originally, particularly 'Gladiator' which, fight scenes aside, doesn't have all that much going for it.

Oooh and 'Arrow' talk. I'm not a big comic book person, but I like the show. Kate Cassidy is a real problem though. I can't help but feel how much better the show would've been (And more interesting) if she had died in the S1 finale. As it is she's utterly floundering in Season 2 and the show has no idea what to do with her.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 31, 2013

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
As someone with jack-all to do today, I appreciate the annual Twilight Zone marathon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Like 'The Matrix' is was a big victim of hype for me. I heard so many people tell me how GREAT it was that I came away underwhelmed. I appreciate parts of both movies but neither is as good was made out originally, particularly 'Gladiator' which, fight scenes aside, doesn't have all that much going for it.

Oooh and 'Arrow' talk. I'm not a big comic book person, but I like the show. Kate Cassidy is a real problem though. I can't help but feel how much better the show would've been (And more interesting) if she had died in the S1 finale. As it is she's utterly floundering in Season 2 and the show has no idea what to do with her.

Everyone hates Laurel. All the Arrow thread does is bitch about Laurel and talk about comic books and post BARROWMAN :argh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

zoux posted:

Everyone hates Laurel. All the Arrow thread does is bitch about Laurel and talk about comic books and post BARROWMAN :argh:

Hey, we've recently added :flashfap: and bitching about Man of Steel to our repertoire thank you very much. :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

You forgot talk about comic book movies! :v:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

You forgot talk about comic book movies! :v:

Really? What's there to talk about? Aside from The Dark Night Rises, there hasn't been a good DC-verse movie in the last 20 years (Mask of the Phantasm, btw).

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Right, because people only like talking about the good ones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Really? What's there to talk about? Aside from The Dark Night Rises, there hasn't been a good DC-verse movie in the last 20 years (Mask of the Phantasm, btw).

Oh no you don't!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

If you're including animated features, they come out with a couple of them every year and they're almost always good.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

zoux posted:

I have mixed feelings on the Laurel hate because on one side it really does go back to the Skylar hate of Breaking Bad where it was impossible to separate out the people who were doing honest character critique from the people who just hate people (read: women / parents) who stop guys from doing the cool things they want to do like get high and be a criminal. On the other side, unlike Skylar (which I don't even have to watch Breaking Bad to know), Laurel is a character that not only the writers clearly have no idea or maybe even interest in how to write for, she is so tonally out of step with the rest of the show's universe that it's jarring to have her in scenes. It's not because she's trying to be honest in a morally gray world, it's that she's not even occupying the same frame of reference as everyone else. It's like if you put a character from Friends in the same New York as Seinfeld. It's weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sophia posted:

I have mixed feelings on the Laurel hate because on one side it really does go back to the Skylar hate of Breaking Bad where it was impossible to separate out the people who were doing honest character critique from the people who just hate people (read: women / parents) who stop guys from doing the cool things they want to do like get high and be a criminal. On the other side, unlike Skylar (which I don't even have to watch Breaking Bad to know), Laurel is a character that not only the writers clearly have no idea or maybe even interest in how to write for, she is so tonally out of step with the rest of the show's universe that it's jarring to have her in scenes. It's not because she's trying to be honest in a morally gray world, it's that she's not even occupying the same frame of reference as everyone else. It's like if you put a character from Friends in the same New York as Seinfeld. It's weird.

I like Katie Cassidy generally and I also like all the other female characters. I thought they did an especially good job bringing Thea and Mama Queen into interesting story lines this year and Caity Lotz loving rules. But I totally get the reticence to critique a female character given the baggage associated with bogus critiques for, like you said, Skyler and other female characters in the past.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sophia posted:

It doesn't help that she's terribly acted, which is weird because I don't think Katie Cassidy is that terrible of an actress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

It doesn't help that she's terribly acted, which is weird because I don't think Katie Cassidy is that terrible of an actress.

Yeah she was good in Supernatural and she looks like a loving badass in her new movie:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Katie Cassidy on Arrow is that in Season 2 they brought in Caity Lotz to basically be the character that everyone wanted Katie Cassidy to be. She's running around being a proactive badass rear end kicker who has ties to both the "now" and Island story arcs.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've been catching up on Person of Interest and am about halfway through season 2. Bear rules.

One thing I've been thinking, and I've no idea if the story has since moved in this direction or not, but based on what has been said so far I can't shake the suspicion that it's moving towards some kind of depiction of the Technological Singularity happening, only on a typically sci-fi escalated timescale, i.e. the next few years rather than the next few hundred years (if it even ever happens at all).

I don't want to go into the thread yet for obvious reasons, but am I completely off-base here or is that a reasonable speculation to make at this point?

What the hell has been up with these forums for the last day or so? Loadings are sloooow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

Bear rules.

This guy knows what's up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cactus posted:

I've been catching up on Person of Interest and am about halfway through season 2. Bear rules.

One thing I've been thinking, and I've no idea if the story has since moved in this direction or not, but based on what has been said so far I can't shake the suspicion that it's moving towards some kind of depiction of the Technological Singularity happening, only on a typically sci-fi escalated timescale, i.e. the next few years rather than the next few hundred years (if it even ever happens at all).

I don't want to go into the thread yet for obvious reasons, but am I completely off-base here or is that a reasonable speculation to make at this point?

What the hell has been up with these forums for the last day or so? Loadings are sloooow.

Forums are undergoing random DDOS attacks.

Also I think you are really gonna enjoy how the rest of season 2 plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Heh, the NSA/US/UK govt got sick of us did they? :tinfoil:

I'm watching it right now and I've hosed off going out for NY eve. I'm having a better time with this than those times I did go out to celebrate that thing.

E: ANSWER THE loving PHONES FINCH!!

I love the music they're putting on the end of the episodes. One of them was either the same or very similar to a Breaking Bad episode.

Aaah oh uh aaaah oh...

Cactus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 31, 2013

• Locked thread