Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Cabs hugely affect your guitar tone, and it's crazy how different they can sound. Put five different Vintage 30 loaded 4x12 cabs from 5 different companies in a room and you'll have 5 considerably different sounding cabs.

Be sure to put the cab through your rig before you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Adam Vegas posted:

I'm picking up an old boutique head, made by a little-known builder called John Kelly who quit Selmer in the 70s and started making his own; the model I've got hold of is a 100w head with inputs for both guitar and bass. The amp itself is powered by 4 EL34s.

Basically I'm looking for a cab, but have no idea what to get as I've only ever used combo amps before. Apparently the tonal color of the amp is like a cross between an old AC30 and a Marshall head; I'm trying to stick with a cab that will keep this kind of sound as I've been getting into garage and fuzz quite a lot. Any recommendations?

In Britain by the way, if that makes any difference.

You're incredibly lucky to find a John Kelly amp, I spent over an hour talking with the head tech for Sam Ash Music yesterday, and he said several times that he considers his John Kelly to be hands down his holy grail amp; and he's got a LOT of amps.

Personally, I'd go with some old Fanes; they have the classic 60/70's tone and a pair can handle the sheer power of that amp.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
If I want a better cranked sound at lower levels, would it be a good idea to get a replacement speaker with a lower sensitivity? And which are good for a JCM 800 style sound?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Boz0r posted:

If I want a better cranked sound at lower levels, would it be a good idea to get a replacement speaker with a lower sensitivity? And which are good for a JCM 800 style sound?

It would not. If you want a cranked tube amp tone at low volume, your best bet is to get an attenuator and put it between the amp and speakers. Speaker sensitivity isn't going to change your overall volume to any significant degree. Check out the THD Hotplate, it's a really popular attenuator that gets really good reviews.

However, if you're asking about generally good sounding speakers for a JCM800, a lot of players go for the Celestion Vintage 30, the Celestion G12T-75, or the Celestion G12H-30. There are probably a lot of other boutique speakers that would sound great also, but somebody else might have to help you with those.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 24, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I use a THD Hotplate. It's pretty good but I think there are other more transparent attenuators in the market now.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I was looking at a Jet City 22H Head and I saw that they make a new attenuator called the Jettenuator.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Would that amp hit something near a Motley Crue/Def Leppard tone? And which cab would fit best on a budget? I was looking at just getting a Harley Benton with V30s.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm told that the noise vs clean sound of a guitar is largely determined by the amp and settings you use. I'm a very newbie guitar learner and I want something to play through. I also want to be able to use headphones. What should I do to get this sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paAUN6lC3I&feature=youtu.be&t=2m38s

I keep seeing phrases like "high gain sound" etc but I don't know what that actually means

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Gain basically refers to the amount of distortion (clipping) in your preamp stage (I'm over-simplifying). High-gain amps are simply designed to provide much more distortion than their more traditional counterparts, such as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQPgIFfxugA
Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
(I absolutely love this video because it's what all your non-guitar playing friends make you do when they see a half stack in your practice room)
The Jubilee is a riff on Marshall's JCM/JMP amps, basically they hotrodded them from the factory as a response to all the mods happening in the 80s for the hair metal guys. Versatile amp, responds well to boost pedals but is definitely not high-gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nNalvxN5Zc
It's Chappers, I know, but he gives a fairly decent demo of what we're talking about here.
Orange Rockerverb 100, my favorite high-gain head other than the Soldano SLO100.
Absolutely the opposite of the 2550 in every possible way, dark, loose, gritty and the gain is just dripping with saturation.

So, hopefully those two vids help you hear the difference, and 'get it'. They're also the two heads I use mostly, so if you want something a little more detailed just ask and I could probably throw together a more specific comparison clip or something.

As far as the clip you posted, my knee-jerk would be a single-coil something into a Vox AC30 on the edge of breaking up, but I'm absolutely NOT any type of expert on clean sounds. Any time I hear a slightly dirty clean sound it's always definitely a Strat into an AC30 on the edge of breakup. Every time.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, AmPhone AC30? It's not perfect, but it'll let you play without waking the neighbors.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Perfect, thanks guys! That is the answer I was looking for

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So I've started this 6L6-to-EL34 conversion and I feel very out of my depth. I think I've finally managed to pick out the resistor that I need to double, so the project is going to be finished, but I need an amp of my own for practice. Is there a certain type of tube amp that would be good for me to experiment on without breaking the bank? I'm thinking that if I post "I will buy your broken amp" on craigslist that I might wind up with something good, but I'm also curious as to where the techies in the thread got their start.

Also where do you guys go for tube amp service tips, gurus, and general info, like forums and stuff?

scuz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 8, 2014

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I have no answer for you, but just wanted to say be careful. That poo poo can kill you if you don't drain the capacitors to ground or some such nonsense.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hi guys

I have a question about tubes and I hope one of you might have some experience with them.

I have a 2 year old Bugera v22 tube amp, which unfortunately stopped working in the middle of a recording session. The amp itself has a clean channel and a gain channel. Now when I turn it on the clean channel works at ~20% efficiency while the gain channel is completely dead. A friend suggested that the tubes might be fried and probably need replacing, but I have no idea how to do this or which tubes to get (though I don't even know if this is the cause for the problem).

The tubes are (taken from the website):
2 x EL84 tubes
3 x 12AX7 tubes

If anyone has an idea of what I should do next I'd be really grateful. I really don't have the money to buy a new amp.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

I have no answer for you, but just wanted to say be careful. That poo poo can kill you if you don't drain the capacitors to ground or some such nonsense.

This was a concern for me, too, so I did that first :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Death by Cranes posted:

Hi guys

I have a question about tubes and I hope one of you might have some experience with them.

I have a 2 year old Bugera v22 tube amp, which unfortunately stopped working in the middle of a recording session. The amp itself has a clean channel and a gain channel. Now when I turn it on the clean channel works at ~20% efficiency while the gain channel is completely dead. A friend suggested that the tubes might be fried and probably need replacing, but I have no idea how to do this or which tubes to get (though I don't even know if this is the cause for the problem).

2 x EL84 tubes
3 x 12AX7 tubes

If anyone has an idea of what I should do next I'd be really grateful. I really don't have the money to buy a new amp.

Sounds like bad power tubes. You could just replace the power section (the two EL84s) for under $50 and usually an hour of your time.

Do you have the owners manual? It will usually include instructions for swapping them out, which is usually pretty straightforward.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

scuz posted:

So I've started this 6L6-to-EL34 conversion and I feel very out of my depth. I think I've finally managed to pick out the resistor that I need to double, so the project is going to be finished, but I need an amp of my own for practice. Is there a certain type of tube amp that would be good for me to experiment on without breaking the bank? I'm thinking that if I post "I will buy your broken amp" on craigslist that I might wind up with something good, but I'm also curious as to where the techies in the thread got their start.

Also where do you guys go for tube amp service tips, gurus, and general info, like forums and stuff?

Aspen Pittman's Tube Amp Book if you don't have it is a good resource, and it covers 6L6-EL34 conversions in the tech articles section.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Death by Cranes posted:

Hi guys

2 x EL84 tubes
3 x 12AX7 tubes

almost definitely power tubes. buy some new dudes and get it biased, pretty sure that model is fixed.

shouldn't cost you more than 100. when you get the tubes, write down the number on the stickers on the boxes, that way you can just order that specific rating and avoid biasing in the future.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Sockington posted:

Sounds like bad power tubes. You could just replace the power section (the two EL84s) for under $50 and usually an hour of your time.
Do you have the owners manual? It will usually include instructions for swapping them out, which is usually pretty straightforward.

Thanks Sockington. I'll take a look at the EL84s first up. Yes, I do have the manual, it's around here somewhere.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

almost definitely power tubes. buy some new dudes and get it biased, pretty sure that model is fixed.
shouldn't cost you more than 100. when you get the tubes, write down the number on the stickers on the boxes, that way you can just order that specific rating and avoid biasing in the future.

Thanks for the answer. But what does "biasing" mean in this context? Variables in output sound?

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

scuz posted:

I'm getting some sample amps from a few vendors soon, if any of them don't wind up going to production, I should be able to unload them for dirt cheap. I can keep you posted if you'd like.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Death by Cranes posted:

Thanks Sockington. I'll take a look at the EL84s first up. Yes, I do have the manual, it's around here somewhere.

Thanks for the answer. But what does "biasing" mean in this context? Variables in output sound?

To save you a whole lecture, bias is negative current used to keep your tubes from overheating and melting (basically your amp has so much current running through it that if it were left unchecked your tubes couldn't even handle it). There are two types of amp biasing: cathode and fixed. And to make it extra confusing, the one that you can adjust is fixed. I'm not sure which your Bugera is but since you're doing recording right now I'd just advise taking it to a tech and letting him sort it out. You can do it yourself but there's a not insignificant risk of electrocution (not to scare you, just to let you know that it's some serious poo poo).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Grapist posted:

I'm getting some sample amps from a few vendors soon, if any of them don't wind up going to production, I should be able to unload them for dirt cheap. I can keep you posted if you'd like.
That'd be super! Thanks!

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I am looking for my first amp. I have a rondo les paul copy (douglas shadow in cherry sunburst specifically). I am looking to spend not too much more than 100$. Since I am saving up to move out.

Ideally I want a modeling amp with a good clean channel but with the ability to reproduce distortion effects faithfully as well.

I have mainly focused on the line6 spider iv 15 and the peavy vypyr 15. To me the vypyr doesnt sound like its models sound very different from eachother even though there are so many. I havent used it in person just from watching various youtube reviews on the two amps.

I was originally sold on the line6 though recent non critic reviews I have been reading seem to point to the fact that the effects are always active even in a small amount even when dialed all the way down. Additionally the metal and insane channels sound rather poor when turned up.

I might be expecting too much from a 100$ amp however I thought I would post here and ask for experience with any other amps to look at in my price range. I am still very much considering the line6 as I knew going in I would likely be replacing the guitar within a year so upward mobility in my amp isnt a killer for me.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 11, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I have owned the Roland Cube 20XL and the Fender Mustang V1.

The roland was a great amp but it did not have any "blackface" or Fender-style clean sounds. That is the amp sound that I personally prefer.

So, I sold it and got the Fender Mustang V1. I love it. I actually use the Fender FUSE software and I think it's great. However, the main reason I bought it was because it has good models of the Fender clean sound that I like. I have a tube amp and I have a guitar or two that sounds better through the mustang than it does the tube.

I found out afterwards that if I had gotten the next Cube up in the line (40XL) that it includes a Fender Blackface setting as well as a loving looper which is about the greatest feature you could have in a bedroom practice amp. I wish I had just gotten the cube 40XL but I love the mustang anyways.

I will say that the Fender is probably not suited well to playing metal or anything with alot of distortion. It's distortion settings sounded cheesy to me compared to the Roland's. But that stuff is kind of out of my wheelhouse to begin with.

These are the two bedroom/practice amps you didn't mention so I figured I'd chip in about those.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 11, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
40XL is great and the only reason I sold it was for the 80XL. The only thing I miss is the "power squeeze" mode in the 40XL, but decent studio headphones make up for it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Roland micro cubes show up on eBay/CL/etc all the time for under $100.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What tubes can I fist into my OR15 to tame the highs, round/warm the sound a little and let me get slightly better bedroom volumes? I've got a JJ 5751 coming to try in V1. People around the internet seem to like it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

What tubes can I fist into my OR15 to tame the highs, round/warm the sound a little and let me get slightly better bedroom volumes? I've got a JJ 5751 coming to try in V1. People around the internet seem to like it.
How old is your PPC212?

Edit: BTW, make sure you only fist that OR15 after lots of foreplay, use lots of lube and go slow to ensure there's no tearing. Ease into it. ;)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iostream.h posted:

How old is your PPC212?

Under a month. The break in period yeah? I've heard mention of that. It's not super harsh but there's something going on in the upper ranges that throws me off slightly.

My amp is covered in lube and I'm covered in blood and tube shrapnel. Gearvana achieved :c00lbert:

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 12, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Under a month. The break in period yeah? I've heard mention of that. It's not super harsh but there's something going on in the upper ranges that throws me off slightly.
It's true, there IS a definite break in period where the highs will be WAY more pronounced than they would normally be.

That said, the Celestion Vintage 30s are generally a pretty crisp and bright speaker anyway, they've all (there are actually a few variances depending on the cab/combo manufacturer) got a fairly pronounced mid-frequency hump, but because of that they REALLY emphasize the guitar's position in the mix and they cut through in a band situation like nothing else.

They DO laser beam the poo poo out of people tho', I dunno if you noticed in a pic I posted a while back, but I usually turn my cabs around onstage (partially to diffuse the sheer volume so I can burn my output tubes a bit) to avoid exploding heads in the crowd from it.

How's your cab positioned? Angle it up or down, turn it around, throw a blanket or rug over the front (I have a thick rug permanently affixed to my studio cab) but mostly at this point, just crank it when you can, thrash the hell out of it and let it break in. It'll relax a bit and tame the shrill highs and then you can figure out how you prefer it.

It doesn't necessarily provide any consolation, but they really don't sound all that great by themselves. Almost too 'technical' and sterile to be honest (although I dig it, I like AKG headphones for the same reason) but when you set them in a mix with a band, holy hell there's nothing else.

Also, take notes on how you're EQ'ing that amp, if I'm not mistaken it shares an EQ system with the Rockerverbs and they're a little (lot) different than the standard Marshall style 'bass/mid/treble' system. If you can, throw some backing tracks on, mix your amp to taste and stand back and listen, see how you're cutting through (or not).

I'm obviously a fan of the V30s, and I'm also a huge fan of Orange amps. With the setup you've got you DEFINITELY have great potential for wonderful sounds, but it's not the most forgiving of lax setup (not that I'm accusing you of that btw), you really have to spend some time dialing it in.

Offhand, were you using a solid state/modeling amp before your OR15? Is it your first tube amp? I'm not being pissy, but if so that really does help illuminate the issue a bit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My amp is covered in lube and I'm covered in blood and tube shrapnel. Gearvana achieved :c00lbert:
Your blood or that of a dozen groupies sacrificed on the altar of Tonez?

Edit: Oh hey look, backwards cab onstage:

Edit: BTW, check your e-mail, I sent you a brief treatise on the history of Western Civilization and the use of Tonewoods in the Development of Democracy and the Ensuing Fight Against the Red Tide of Communism.

It's titled 'the Marshall Presence Knob: Fact or Fiction?'

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 12, 2014

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I don't know why I didn't post this here.

~1969 Ampeg V3 head. Flew totally under the radar on eBay a couple days ago and the only other guy bidding apparently didn't know how max bids work. Will post nudes when it arrives. :hellyeah:

Anyone ever played one before? It's got dual 6L6GCs in the place of 7027As, how will this affect the amp as opposed to having 7027s? I've read that 6L6s take the total power output down a notch, confirm/deny.

Edit: Also, what the gently caress do 7199 and 5AR4 tubes do?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 12, 2014

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
5AR4 is rectifier, 7199 is phase inverter.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

iostream.h posted:

Edit: Oh hey look, backwards cab onstage:

is that a red strap on your black guitar and a black strap on your red guitar what the FUCJK?!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I'm unable to crank my amp in the venues I play, and I'm always miced, would it be a good idea to just get a speaker simulator box or something, instead of a cab, or what that sound like poo poo?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hey just wanted to check back in an say thanks for the AC30 amPlug recommendation. I just got it yesterday and I've tooled around with it a bit and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Sounds great.

Now another question-

Maybe this is a guitar question, but I'll ask here because it's more about the final output of my poo poo. I've noticed that having my settings on my guitar different changes how much gets picked up off my guitar. Some combination of tone knobs on the guitar and the amplug make it so basically more or less of the like.. background noise of the guitar is picked up. I dunno what I would call it on live equipment, but I would basically say it feels like a signal to noise cutoff, where if I have the knobs one way, just touching a string gives me output. I don't like that. I turn the knobs another way and it is quieter, but it picks up less of the unintentional noise, so I only hear the strings I meant to touch. I can't get it perfect though.

So the actual question I guess- That unintentional noise isn't something I generally hear on recordings. I know to a large degree that's probably the skill of the player, but I imagine there's some degree of that being done by a sound engineer or by the equipment setup. What should I be doing outside my skill with the instrument to cut away that noise? Is that something I'd find as a knob on a more robust equipment setup? If yes, what should I be looking for an an amp or combo or whatever piece of equipment to deal with that? Or is that something I deal with in editing a recording?

And recommendation request-

I was over at my dad's and he had me use this little amp he picked up- http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-THR5-10-Watt-Desktop-Guitar/dp/B007J0UWMU . It sounds pretty nice I'd say, for the size, enough that I can see the justification for a 200 dollar amp that small. Good effects too I think, but I don't really know much about it. I am interested in something similar to this, a tiny little amp I can stuff away but pull out when I don't want to use headphones, but the 200 dollar tag has me hesitant. This would be my first actual amp purchase and I am trying to get started on the research for the purchase now. I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for in an amp, but I'd like it to have a good range, be relatively small, and have a good variety of knobs to get familiar with the tech. And preferably significantly less than 200 dollars. Could I get some recommendations? I'll take a larger item if it means cutting back on the cost significantly from the device I linked.

edit: On that note, I also have been unable to find a good comprehensive knob guide on the internet. Can someone do a quick writeup of what different knobs will do on a guitar amp? My google-fu is weak

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 12, 2014

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Boz0r posted:

If I'm unable to crank my amp in the venues I play, and I'm always miced, would it be a good idea to just get a speaker simulator box or something, instead of a cab, or what that sound like poo poo?

gently caress amplifiers, just get a Digitech Bad Monkey and go straight to the board.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

is that a red strap on your black guitar and a black strap on your red guitar what the FUCJK?!
Orange strap on trans purple guitar and red/black hippie design thingy on a rainbow guitar.

What the gently caress indeed, sir.

One of these things is not like the other.

Boz0r posted:

What Hypnolobster said, except I personally use the Avid 11 Rack when I don't use an amp.
If you can't enjoy the benefits of a tube amp, why deal with the extra setup and teardown?

signalnoise posted:

Hey just wanted to check back in an say thanks for the AC30 amPlug recommendation. I just got it yesterday and I've tooled around with it a bit and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Sounds great.

Now another question-

Maybe this is a guitar question, but I'll ask here because it's more about the final output of my poo poo. I've noticed that having my settings on my guitar different changes how much gets picked up off my guitar. Some combination of tone knobs on the guitar and the amplug make it so basically more or less of the like.. background noise of the guitar is picked up.
I'm going to guess that this happens mainly when you turn the distortion/gain up? If so, yeah, it'll get noisier when you do that, because gain/distortion is basically over amplifying EVERYTHING about the signal going into the amp until it 'clips' (distorts). Different guitars and amps react to this in different ways, some people use a noise gate to counteract it, some people flip guitar volume down when they're not playing (this is usually what I do) so there's no signal to amplify, it's just a thing that you get used to.

I'm guessing that's what you're talking about anyway, sound about right?

signalnoise posted:

I am interested in ... a tiny little amp I can stuff away but pull out when I don't want to use headphones, but the 200 dollar tag has me hesitant. This would be my first actual amp purchase and I am trying to get started on the research for the purchase now. I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for in an amp, but I'd like it to have a good range, be relatively small, and have a good variety of knobs to get familiar with the tech. And preferably significantly less than 200 dollars. Could I get some recommendations? I'll take a larger item if it means cutting back on the cost significantly from the device I linked.
A lot of people here are big fans of the Roland Cube/Microcube series. They can be picked up on the cheap from Craigslist with some regularity. Awesome little amps. Probably exactly what you want. Especially for a first amp.

signalnoise posted:

edit: On that note, I also have been unable to find a good comprehensive knob guide on the internet. Can someone do a quick writeup of what different knobs will do on a guitar amp? My google-fu is weak
It really depends on the amp in question, because the different knobs will react differently but overall the knobs on a guitar are as follows:
Gain = Distortion
Think thick, crunchy, sounds like rock n' roll. Sounds similar to turning up a radio until the speaker starts trying to die. Turning this up will usually also make the overall volume a bit louder.

Master Volume = Overall output volume.

Bass/Mid/Treble = Low/Mid/High frequency equalizer. I'll assume you got this.

Presence = 'shimmer' (it allows or cuts frequencies above 'treble') just adds a bit of sparkle. It's also evil and always leave it on 0.

Reverb = An echo effect, akin to shouting inside a warehouse or concert hall. Adds a bit of space to your sound by thickening it up.

Something like that?

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 12, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yea that is pretty much the info I am after! Thanks :)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

iostream.h posted:

Orange strap on trans purple guitar and red/black hippie design thingy on a rainbow guitar.

What the gently caress indeed, sir.

One of these things is not like the other.

Your stage wardrobe better involve a shitload of velvet

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Boz0r posted:

No, speaker simulators are all pretty good. Another option is an attenuator but you can find load boxes/speaker sims.

signalnoise posted:

Now another question-

Maybe this is a guitar question, but I'll ask here because it's more about the final output of my poo poo. I've noticed that having my settings on my guitar different changes how much gets picked up off my guitar. Some combination of tone knobs on the guitar and the amplug make it so basically more or less of the like.. background noise of the guitar is picked up. I dunno what I would call it on live equipment, but I would basically say it feels like a signal to noise cutoff, where if I have the knobs one way, just touching a string gives me output. I don't like that. I turn the knobs another way and it is quieter, but it picks up less of the unintentional noise, so I only hear the strings I meant to touch. I can't get it perfect though.

So the actual question I guess- That unintentional noise isn't something I generally hear on recordings. I know to a large degree that's probably the skill of the player, but I imagine there's some degree of that being done by a sound engineer or by the equipment setup. What should I be doing outside my skill with the instrument to cut away that noise? Is that something I'd find as a knob on a more robust equipment setup? If yes, what should I be looking for an an amp or combo or whatever piece of equipment to deal with that? Or is that something I deal with in editing a recording?

And recommendation request-

I was over at my dad's and he had me use this little amp he picked up- http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-THR5-10-Watt-Desktop-Guitar/dp/B007J0UWMU . It sounds pretty nice I'd say, for the size, enough that I can see the justification for a 200 dollar amp that small. Good effects too I think, but I don't really know much about it. I am interested in something similar to this, a tiny little amp I can stuff away but pull out when I don't want to use headphones, but the 200 dollar tag has me hesitant. This would be my first actual amp purchase and I am trying to get started on the research for the purchase now. I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for in an amp, but I'd like it to have a good range, be relatively small, and have a good variety of knobs to get familiar with the tech. And preferably significantly less than 200 dollars. Could I get some recommendations? I'll take a larger item if it means cutting back on the cost significantly from the device I linked.

The THR is a really good practice amp, but you can find things like the mini Vypyr and mini Mustang that are also good for about half that.

The one thing is that a lot of them have 6 inch speakers so you may run into issues when cranking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

Your stage wardrobe better involve a shitload of velvet

I have a coonskin hat too.