Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMP
May 5, 2009

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

Well Do the Adb Devices thing and see if your device shows up. Devices are finicky at best so they may work properly anyway. If that doesn't work, uninstall and just plug it in. It may install the drivers on its own.

I did both of these earlier with no results. To make sure I didn't just mess up drivers on my main PC, I attempted this process on my laptop which I had never connected to a Kindle before. Installed ADB, installed KFU / Kindle drivers from the install_drivers.bat, tried running adb devices from the cmd prompt (shift right clicking the right folder), tried checking for it using KFU. Nothing. Shows up nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SMP posted:

I did both of these earlier with no results. To make sure I didn't just mess up drivers on my main PC, I attempted this process on my laptop which I had never connected to a Kindle before. Installed ADB, installed KFU / Kindle drivers from the install_drivers.bat, tried running adb devices from the cmd prompt (shift right clicking the right folder), tried checking for it using KFU. Nothing. Shows up nowhere.
Since you never replied to my PM, do you want to add to GApps to the current install or are you mostly interested in fixing the recovery issue? Because I can help you with the former if you're interested.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got a new PDIM for my car for Christmas so I can play music over bluetooth in addition to just phone stuff. However, now when I'm listening to PocketCasts (haven't tried another audio source yet) and I get a notification or navigation directions, the podcast pauses for the other audio like normal, then plays a fraction of a second more, then stops entirely. I have a Nexus 4 with a CM nightly from last week. Where is the problem in this setup? The new PDIM is obviously the only changed thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Android was doing something stupid, either.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If anyone cares, Appgratis has an ad-free version of Car Dashdroid for free today. Pretty decent app from what I've seen so far.

Edit: This is not the App thread but I'll leave the post anyways.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 30, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I got a new PDIM for my car for Christmas so I can play music over bluetooth in addition to just phone stuff. However, now when I'm listening to PocketCasts (haven't tried another audio source yet) and I get a notification or navigation directions, the podcast pauses for the other audio like normal, then plays a fraction of a second more, then stops entirely. I have a Nexus 4 with a CM nightly from last week. Where is the problem in this setup? The new PDIM is obviously the only changed thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Android was doing something stupid, either.
I don't know as I'm not on CM11 (I'm assuming you mean that and not 10.2) but looking at the latest commits there are a lot of Bluetooth things getting merged plus it's not like Bluedroid is all that mature to begin with (although I've had no troubles at all with it especially compared to BlueZ).

SMP
May 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Since you never replied to my PM, do you want to add to GApps to the current install or are you mostly interested in fixing the recovery issue? Because I can help you with the former if you're interested.

My bad, I saw the PMs in the morning then I fell asleep again and forgot I had received them :v:. I would like gApps because wouldn't it be easier to get back TWRP w/ the play store? I remember seeing it on there. Ideally I'd like to get my recovery unfucked just so save myself any headaches in the future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SMP posted:

My bad, I saw the PMs in the morning then I fell asleep again and forgot I had received them :v:. I would like gApps because wouldn't it be easier to get back TWRP w/ the play store? I remember seeing it on there. Ideally I'd like to get my recovery unfucked just so save myself any headaches in the future.
Yeah you're going to need to get the recovery on there at some point for exactly that reason but if you want a usable tablet now, simply download the GApps package and unpack it. Make sure you can view hidden files then start copying everything in the /system folder to the same location on the phone. There will be many subfolders all identical to the ones on your device. Change the permissions to be like everything else in the folder you're in as you go. Same with the /optional folder if it's there (it shouldn't be) but for that you'll see the same /system folders a level deep. You don't need face unlock if that's what's in there but your package might have additional folders.

Reboot and you'll have the GApps albeit with a lot of work.

SMP
May 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Yeah you're going to need to get the recovery on there at some point for exactly that reason but if you want a usable tablet now, simply download the GApps package and unpack it. Make sure you can view hidden files then start copying everything in the /system folder to the same location on the phone. There will be many subfolders all identical to the ones on your device. Change the permissions to be like everything else in the folder you're in as you go. Same with the /optional folder if it's there (it shouldn't be) but for that you'll see the same /system folders a level deep. You don't need face unlock if that's what's in there but your package might have additional folders.

Reboot and you'll have the GApps albeit with a lot of work.

Uhh...

There are no matching subfolders that are viewable on the Kindle.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So I got my first android device today, an LG G2. What's a good resource for figuring out how I can root/customize this thing?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SMP posted:

Uhh...

There are no matching subfolders that are viewable on the Kindle.

Copy the APKs to where you want on your external storage, then use CM File Manager to copy them in to /system from there.

You can also try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1349902

SMP
May 5, 2009

grack posted:

Copy the APKs to where you want on your external storage, then use CM File Manager to copy them in to /system from there.

You can also try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1349902

/system doesn't show up in CM file manager either. When trying the process from that thread (choosing to install the GoogleServiceFramework.apk) I press install and it just says "App not installed" and doesn't do anything.

:negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SMP posted:

/system doesn't show up in CM file manager either. When trying the process from that thread (choosing to install the GoogleServiceFramework.apk) I press install and it just says "App not installed" and doesn't do anything.

:negative:
Even if you lack root you can still view it. You're looking in the wrong spot.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I've been running CM 10.1.3 on my Verizon S 3 for awhile now but I've noticed that my wife's S3 (stock) always has better signal. LTE when I only have 3g, 3g when I barely have any signal.

Is there a radio update I can do or is just going to be something that will be different between the two?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Dohaeris posted:

So I got my first android device today, an LG G2. What's a good resource for figuring out how I can root/customize this thing?

Comedy option: there's still time to return it.

Here's an XDA thread with simple instructions and video.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

Comedy option: there's still time to return it.

Here's an XDA thread with simple instructions and video.
Completely serious, non-comedy option: Return it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Even if you lack root you can still view it. You're looking in the wrong spot.

Ok, I couldn't go above SDcard directory w/ just CM file browser, so I loaded up ES File Manager and now I can view system. However, attempting to paste over the system folder entirely (or going into each individual folder and pasting in each item) tells me it's all read-only. So I long press on system (and tried this on some of the folders within) and check it's read/write status. It says it is both readable and writable and not hidden, so what the hell?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SMP posted:

Ok, I couldn't go above SDcard directory w/ just CM file browser, so I loaded up ES File Manager and now I can view system. However, attempting to paste over the system folder entirely (or going into each individual folder and pasting in each item) tells me it's all read-only. So I long press on system (and tried this on some of the folders within) and check it's read/write status. It says it is both readable and writable and not hidden, so what the hell?
In ES, the button in the top left brings out the sidebar and toward the bottom of that there is a section called Tools and in that there's a switch to enable root browsing. Is that turned on?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

LastInLine posted:

Completely serious, non-comedy option: Return it.

Ok..why? It's great so far, massive upgrade from my iPhone 4S. It was only 50 bucks, has great hardware, the knock on feature is neat and the back buttons aren't that bad so far, and I only assume they'll get better.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

Ok..why? It's great so far, massive upgrade from my iPhone 4S. It was only 50 bucks, has great hardware, the knock on feature is neat and the back buttons aren't that bad so far, and I only assume they'll get better.

If you like what you have don't return it. Goons have a serious hate-on for LG phones for reasons that will likely never, ever apply to you.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Well there's also the fact that several of their past phones have had major hardware and software issues, which extended to the Nexus devices even.

SMP
May 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

In ES, the button in the top left brings out the sidebar and toward the bottom of that there is a section called Tools and in that there's a switch to enable root browsing. Is that turned on?

This did it! I got gApps going and now Play is redownloading all my apps. Now if I install TWRP from the play storewill I be able to recover my recovery?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SMP posted:

This did it! I got gApps going and now Play is redownloading all my apps. Now if I install TWRP from the play storewill I be able to recover my recovery?

Yes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dohaeris posted:

You're already asking how to fix a device you just bought. That would indicate to a normal person that the thing you bought sucks.

LG is not going to keep this device up to date, future updates will likely reduce the utility and reliability of the device, and it will never work as well as any of its contemporary competitors.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

LastInLine posted:

You're already asking how to fix a device you just bought. That would indicate to a normal person that the thing you bought sucks.

LG is not going to keep this device up to date, future updates will likely reduce the utility and reliability of the device, and it will never work as well as any of its contemporary competitors.

No, I asked how to customize it. One of the reasons I got this over an iPhone is so I can fiddle and customize. So future updates can come from mods and such.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dohaeris posted:

No, I asked how to customize it. One of the reasons I got this over an iPhone is so I can fiddle and customize. So future updates can come from mods and such.
Relying on the aftermarket to give you functional software is like relying on dumpsters to provide for your dietary needs. Modders can't make these customizations work without working base software like proprietary drivers and HALs and RILs. If you want a device to customize, get a Nexus since that's what they're designed for.

But you'll learn soon enough.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

I almost hate to say this but the XDA Forum for the G2 is likely going to be your best bet. There are some massive egos there and the terminology can be totally foreign at times, but if you put in the effort to learn and be patient you'll definitely find the info you need.

Just be sure you're installing the right software package for your phone model (varies by carrier/country).

LastInLine posted:

Relying on the aftermarket to give you functional software is like relying on dumpsters to provide for your dietary needs. Modders can't make these customizations work without working base software like proprietary drivers and HALs and RILs. If you want a device to customize, get a Nexus since that's what they're designed for.

The way you carry on people would expect LG killed your family or something. Holy christ

grack fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 30, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LastInLine posted:

If you want a device to customize, get a Nexus since that's what they're designed for.

Don't listen to this goober, Dohaeris. Get whatever loving phone you want. For what it is worth, my two year old Galaxy Nexus doesn't get any graphics driver updates from the manufacturer anymore, so all the new fancy software I want to run on it is hacked together. :-(

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 30, 2013

SMP
May 5, 2009

Chose install recovery w/ TWRP, installed it (or at least it told me it did), then rebooted to recovery and it still just went straight to CM10.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SMP posted:

Chose install recovery w/ TWRP, installed it (or at least it told me it did), then rebooted to recovery and it still just went straight to CM10.
That's because he's wrong. I thought he was but didn't want to say so since I know nothing about the hacks required to get stuff to run on a Kindle.

Judging by the threads AbsolutZeroGI linked, it seems like it just uses fastboot like a Nexus. Can you see the device in fastboot? If not you have a driver issue and may need the cable he refers to. If you can see it, it's as simple as typing "fastboot flash recovery [filename.img]".

Dohaeris posted:

You want to fiddle and customize and you bought a phone with a locked bootloader requiring exploits if you want to do things like fiddle and customize. To do the things you want to do you picked the worst device to do it with as the manufacturer is actively going to work against you, there won't be any good developers working with it, and the developers it will have won't have a decent base to work with especially once it falls behind a couple software versions. There's no penalty to get a decent phone now and you should or you will regret it later but I don't much care how it works for you either way, I just have the benefit of knowing how this works.

grack posted:

The way you carry on people would expect LG killed your family or something. Holy christ
LG sucks no doubt, but I do have the $60 coming to me from the class action settlement from the last one of their products I had to deal with so I can't complain too much.

Gyshall posted:

Don't listen to this goober, Dohaeris. Get whatever loving phone you want. For what it is worth, my two year old Galaxy Nexus doesn't get any graphics driver updates from the manufacturer anymore, so all the new fancy software I want to run on it is hacked together. :-(
I don't know if you follow CM commits or not but they've mentioned quite a bit in the CM11 comments how the Galaxy Nexus is going to be difficult to get working correctly in KitKat due to lack of OMAP support in AOSP and by Texas Instruments. Given CM is the project that actually does real work to maintain older devices it's not a good sign when two months in they're already talking about how it may be untenable to do so.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SMP posted:

Are you able to get to fastboot?

Edit: Try this app now that you have the app store back https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot and see if you can boot straight in to recovery

grack fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 31, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Dohaeris posted:

LastInLine might have a little too much nerd rage for LG going on but he's not wrong about this. If you wanted a phone that "just works" (with the understanding that means different things to different people) then there are a better, cheaper options out there. You can debate whether LG's flavor of Android is any good or if the buttons on the back are a fantastic idea or dumb as poo poo but it doesn't sound like you care about that as much.

On the other hand if you want something for the "fun" Android experience to dick around with and customize and do all the poo poo you can't do with an iPhone (easily) like install Adfree, etc then you also bought the wrong device because LG, like nearly everyone else, really doesn't want you to do that and will work against you (more precisely, against those who are inclined to try and crack it). It's doable to a point, though a lot of trouble, but these days it doesn't make a lot of sense because there's hardware that's just as good, if not better than the G2 and is unlocked out of the box and not expensive:

The Nexus 5 you can gently caress around with all day long, it's super easy, Google designed it for you to do that, you don't have to even exploit the thing to root it or unlock the bootloader and there's tons of support for it as a result. You can even enable tap to wake on it with a kernel if that is the thing you love about the G2 the most - I have it enabled on mine.

I'm not saying the G2 is a poo poo phone but for what it sounds like you want there are better options. If you really like LG's skin/software/etc and don't want to mess with it, root it or whatever than by all means keep it. Learn to live with what it does well and what it doesn't just like legions of people who like Sense, Touchwiz, etc.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I mean, I have 14 days to swap it, if I decide its awful. The issue is that originally I was all gungho about the Nexus 5, but I'm on AT&T and the only way to get a 5 is to pay for an unlocked one, since I can't get it on contract. Which would mean like, what, 400 bucks, as opposed to 50. Is there a better alternative around a similar price point for an AT&T contract?

Aside from that, any crazy root tweaks I absolutely can't live without? I've installed a bit of random stuff so far and gotten it rooted. I've seen people mention Adfree, but Adblock Plus is also available? Is there a preference?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dohaeris posted:

I mean, I have 14 days to swap it, if I decide its awful. The issue is that originally I was all gungho about the Nexus 5, but I'm on AT&T and the only way to get a 5 is to pay for an unlocked one, since I can't get it on contract. Which would mean like, what, 400 bucks, as opposed to 50. Is there a better alternative around a similar price point for an AT&T contract?

You can always buy an iPhone using your contract subsidy, then sell it (without activating it) to fund the N5 purchase. You'll probably come out ahead a few hundred bucks on the deal as long as you don't open the iPhone box.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Penguissimo posted:

You can always buy an iPhone using your contract subsidy, then sell it (without activating it) to fund the N5 purchase. You'll probably come out ahead a few hundred bucks on the deal as long as you don't open the iPhone box.

This is such a huge hassle that I refuse to believe anyone actually does this anymore. The price of a 16GB iPhone 5s new from Apple is $650. I bought one with a subsidy and paid about $260 after tax. I'd have to have sold it for pretty much full retail to break even after buying a 16GB N5, forget having much of anything extra.

Maybe I'm missing something in the process, but after 3 hosed up listings on eBay just trying to unload the drat thing, I just sold it to my boss for his wife for cost (we're on the same plan, so I can use one of their upgrades in place of mine at some point).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I think you're missing that an almost free Nexus 5 is better than a nearly $400 Nexus 5.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think you're missing that an almost free Nexus 5 is better than a nearly $400 Nexus 5.

More likely it ends up being a ~$200 N5, which is still better than full price, but worth dealing with shitheads? Maybe I just had a particularly crappy experience trying to flip my iPhone. V:shobon:V

To be somewhat on thread topic: Thank goodness for CM11 nightlies on my SGS3, whatever fixed Google Services' huge drain can have my firstborn. On CM10.2 my idle drain was always ~-180mAh or more, on CM11 so far it idles at like 30. All the same location settings and everything.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 31, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

This is such a huge hassle that I refuse to believe anyone actually does this anymore. The price of a 16GB iPhone 5s new from Apple is $650. I bought one with a subsidy and paid about $260 after tax. I'd have to have sold it for pretty much full retail to break even after buying a 16GB N5, forget having much of anything extra.

Maybe I'm missing something in the process, but after 3 hosed up listings on eBay just trying to unload the drat thing, I just sold it to my boss for his wife for cost (we're on the same plan, so I can use one of their upgrades in place of mine at some point).

I've never tried it either, but I'd have to imagine that Craigslist would be easier if you live in a populated enough area. What went so wrong with eBay?

^^^ also this

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Selling a phone on ebay is much less preferable than selling it on Swappa or Craiglist, for one, you don't pay the stupid 13% ebay and Paypal fees, and then for CL, no shipping. Meet in a public place, deal in cash, and be done with it.

An iPhone5s costs $200 on upgrade, plus some fees and tax, so $260. On ebay you can get maybe $600 for it, so you make about 340. Then shipping, ($10), fees ($80), you end up making $350, maybe $400 if you can get more for the iPhone.

That's almost exactly the cost of a Nexus5, but you have to wait a week for the auction, and then 21 days for paypal to release the funds, and even longer if the person is trying to scam or files a fraudulent charge back claim.

The best option is to use Craiglist and ask for a little less, since you don't have fees or shipping. A new in box iPhone5s for 575 or 600 on Craiglist will go in minutes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4 on AT&T that's rooted and still on the 4.2.2 update. I'd like to find a way to get it to the latest 4.3 AT&T update without losing root. How can I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Install Windows posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4 on AT&T that's rooted and still on the 4.2.2 update. I'd like to find a way to get it to the latest 4.3 AT&T update without losing root. How can I do that?

The typical process (assuming you also installed a custom recovery in addition to root) is to grab a flashable ZIP of the OTA and just install it that way.

Of course, you have to be careful as there might be other things you'll have to update in addition to the flashable ZIP (radio, bootloader, etc).