Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Haha. Apparently in creating the 6.1.5 jailbreak, winocm and iH8sn0w used an unpatched exploit that could have been used to help jailbreak iOS > 7.1.

And now there's a fight breaking out on twitter between people pissed at the above devs for using the exploit needlessly, while the dev's supporters continue to hang on to the evasi0n team's recent drama with Taig and accepting money from China.

All the while, everyone continues to ignore the fact that if the teams just sold their jailbreak for $.99 per device, they'd all make plenty of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
What a cluster gently caress. That's a true shame about the "wasted" exploit, but I have a feeling another one will take it's place. Certainly not by release of 7.1, but come 8 there's bound to be new ones.

It apparently was a root exploit that's been known about for quite some time that could have been used in future iOS versions but instead was wasted on the 6.1.4/5 jailbreak, Jesus Christ. Hahaha.

Edit: looks as those evaders could have possibly used their ios 7 exploits to jailbreak 6.1.4, but didn't think it would be popular/have enough interest. This is all from pod2g's twitter account.

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 30, 2013

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah I don't get why anyone gives a poo poo about jailbreaking 6.1.x anymore.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

e.pie posted:

My guess is the interest is only temporary and directly correlated to the lack of updated software for ios7.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Mostly edge cases, some people will lose their unlocks if they update and others just don't care for iOS 7 or are concerned it will run shittily on their older phones.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

e.pie posted:

I think the main reason is that 6.x is the most up to date version of iOS that supports the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 4th generation. Neither of those devices can run iOS 7.

You might say, "why would they care about supporting the 0.5% of people still using those devices?". But I say it's not about that. The idea of coming up with a final jailbreak solution for those devices give jailbreak developers a hard-on, because normally a jailbreak is so finite.

It's slightly irrational, but it makes sense in a spergy kind of way.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 30, 2013

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I think the main reason is that 6.x is the most up to date version of iOS that supports the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 4th generation. Neither of those devices can run iOS 7.

You might say, "why would they care about supporting the 0.5% of people still using those devices?". But I say it's not about that. The idea of coming up with a final jailbreak solution for those devices give jailbreak developers a hard-on, because normally a jailbreak is so finite.

It's slightly irrational, but it makes sense in a spergy kind of way.

Well yeah I get that, but it doesn't make sense to throw away an exploit that could have been used on the latest iOS versions for a jailbreak that will help a fraction of a percent of the people with iOS devices.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006
I'm currently running 6.1.x on everything I have access to, including my main phone, which is a 6.1.4 iPhone 5. And no plans to update anytime soon, with me liking button-looking buttons and sorts of icon sets which don't force me to claw my eyes out.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

iFile has been updated. It fixed my registration issues.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Now that iFile is updated, has anyone gotten it to read USB drives with a lightning camera connection kit?

I've heard that the official lightning>USB adapter doesn't work, but third-party multicard+USB adapters do because they have some microprocessor inside for some layer of translation or something.

Unfortunately, all the multi card readers look like garbage. No model numbers to reliably identify them, and all I've found are broken photobucket links to images of other peoples' tested adapters.

So, anyone know if any of these poorly-rated things on Amazon actually works? Preferably one with wire in the middle rather than a fat, rigid block.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Klowns posted:

I'm already missing a few of them like iBlacklist,
Does Settings -> Phone -> blocked not do what iBlacklist does?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Haha, wow. The 6.1.X Jailbreak that iH8Sn0w and Winocn just released burned an extremely valuable exploit that has been around for years. It is an exploit that gave root access to any ios device with a dev account via a time zone bug. Ios hackers have been keeping hold of this exploit for years and using other software bugs in the Jailbreak apps to inject their code. They had access to these other less valuable exploits to use, but for some unknown reason these decided to use this one. Now that this has been openly released, it's expected that Apple will patch this in either 7.1 or 7.1.X, meaning Jailbreaking any future ios release will take a hell of a lot longer than what we have already been waiting for the latest Jailbreaks, if they can be exploited at all.

TLDR: Update to 7.0.4 and Jailbreak asap basically and expect it to be the last Jailbreak for a long time.

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 30, 2013

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You have to fix your license with the paypal code thing.

Yeah I figured that just after I posted. Working well so far.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Ive got iPad 2 on a JB 5.1.1

I'm trying to reset it to factory settings to go up to ios7 and then JB, but if I try to do 'reset all content and settings' within the iPad itself, it goes to a black screen with a spinning icon and stays on that for hours, without doing anything. If I try to restore it to factory settings via itunes I get a Error 3194 (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4451) but changing the HOST file doesn't resolve the issue.

How do I wipe it?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Download the iOS 7.0.4 IPSW for your device from Apple.

Put your device in DFU mode, open iTunes and use Shift+click Restore and select the IPSW you downloaded.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

I wasn't aware anything above 7.0 was anything significant..

This is from a few pages back, but iOS 7.0.3 had significant changes.

Midnight- posted:

I'm trying to reset it to factory settings to go up to ios7 and then JB, but if I try to do 'reset all content and settings' within the iPad itself, it goes to a black screen with a spinning icon and stays on that for hours, without doing anything. If I try to restore it to factory settings via itunes I get a Error 3194 (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4451) but changing the HOST file doesn't resolve the issue.

How do I wipe it?

You should never do a "Reset All" from the device.

1) make sure nothing Apple-related is in your hosts file.
2) make sure you have the latest iTunes installed. Versions older than 11.1 cannot restore A5+ devices.
3) put the device into DFU mode and restore.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am sticking on 6.1.4 on my iPhone 5 probably forever myself. Once jailbroken it does everything I want it too, looks and runs the way I want it too. I have a 5c on 7.1b2 here as well but I have never been much of a fan of iOS 7 and the battery hit it takes on a 5/5c is a deal breaker for myself.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If you're fine with 6.x JB, the risk to upgrading to 7.04 doesn't seem all that worth it. We're still waiting for Mobile Substrate to get updated, and given the awkward rollout of this latest jailbreak, you probably won't get as much adopters as before. The smaller critical mass will also mean that some tweaks may not get updated to work with 7.x if they need to be.

I'm also happy with my 6.1 JB and see no real reason to upgrade to 7.x except maybe for Tinder

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I can't believe how many people don't want iOS 7. It's a major upgrade in most ways, unless you really hate new graphics... I wasn't even disappointed going from jailbroke 6.whatever to stock 7.0 it was that good. Only tweaks I am glad to have back are flux and the animation speed up. The rest is baked in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Will 7.1 have significant changes?

VV drat, I may have to go for that now. 7.0.4 isn't the most stable on my 5S.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 31, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, 7.1 will be a big release. Lots of stability and bug fixes, sped up animations and more.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
As much as I prefer 6 to 7 I decided to upgrade after I heard about the exploit snafu. No telling how long until the next JB now and I really like being able to use current apps and have Cydia.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Midnight- posted:

JB does not work on wifi iPad 2's at this stage FYI.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Hamburlgar posted:

Haha, wow. The 6.1.X Jailbreak that iH8Sn0w and Winocn just released burned an extremely valuable exploit that has been around for years. It is an exploit that gave root access to any ios device with a dev account via a time zone bug. Ios hackers have been keeping hold of this exploit for years and using other software bugs in the Jailbreak apps to inject their code. They had access to these other less valuable exploits to use, but for some unknown reason these decided to use this one. Now that this has been openly released, it's expected that Apple will patch this in either 7.1 or 7.1.X, meaning Jailbreaking any future ios release will take a hell of a lot longer than what we have already been waiting for the latest Jailbreaks, if they can be exploited at all.

TLDR: Update to 7.0.4 and Jailbreak asap basically and expect it to be the last Jailbreak for a long time.

loving. Children.

So stupid. Though I'm surprised the dev account exploit was kept secret for as long as it has. I guess that was a testament to its value.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hamburlgar posted:

:stare:

Seriously?

Edit: this also sounds like the sudo exploit that people found in OSX recently, so I'm seriously surprised it wasn't fixed by 7.1.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 31, 2013

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there a Google Voice extension that allows sending/receiving MMS? Never tried til just now and it didn't work. AT&T is my carrier if that matters.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Is there a Google Voice extension that allows sending/receiving MMS? Never tried til just now and it didn't work. AT&T is my carrier if that matters.

GV doesn't support MMS.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Trip reports on iOS7 jailbreak? Does it send my CC details to China every hour?

EDIT: First try on Retina iPad Mini resulted in Infinite Boot Loop (Apple Logo). Time for a restore.

tonic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 31, 2013

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

I don't know about that but it has been the most hassle free jailbreak I've ever done and I'm loving ios7 with some added compatible tweaks.

Anyone know why bitesms keeps instantly crashing whenever I try to open it?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tonic posted:

EDIT: First try on Retina iPad Mini resulted in Infinite Boot Loop (Apple Logo). Time for a restore.

The cellular model has issues right now, wifi-only models should work fine.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

The cellular model has issues right now, wifi-only models should work fine.

Hmmm. I read that if you've done an OTA update, then the jailbreak won't work until you restore. Going to give it one more go after the restore, my unit is Cellular though so maybe I shouldn't bother? :argh:

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

randyest posted:

Does Settings -> Phone -> blocked not do what iBlacklist does?

Actually yeah, that will hold me over pretty well thanks.

E

Glad there's a working iFile so I can disable that drat camera shutter sound again.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 31, 2013

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

tonic posted:

I personally got my Cellular Retina Mini and 5s jailbroken, but it seems like I'm lucky. There's almost no exploits that work because MobileSubstrate isn't compatible with 64-bit devices.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Restored the Cellular Retina Mini with iTunes then re-jailbroke. Seems to be working great, though there isn't much to play with yet.

Guessing that if you've done a OTA iOS update, you'll have to restore prior to jailbreak.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

gramlock posted:

I don't know about that but it has been the most hassle free jailbreak I've ever done and I'm loving ios7 with some added compatible tweaks.

Wish I could say the same, but after redoing the full restore and JB process, it's working fine. For some reason, a lot of my App Store apps weren't installed right and had to be reinstalled.

I don't know... I miss a lot of my tweaks. Working SwipeSelection, Intelliscreen, Celeste, Activator, and BiteSMS made my iPhone so much better. But I do like stuff like the more Android style of closing programs.

gramlock posted:

Anyone know why bitesms keeps instantly crashing whenever I try to open it?

For that matter, has anyone got it to integrate with or replace the native messaging app?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ibntumart posted:

For some reason, a lot of my App Store apps weren't installed right and had to be reinstalled.

Same here. Bunch of apps would just crash immediately upon startup. Reinstalling from the App Store fixed all of them.

ibntumart posted:

For that matter, has anyone got it to integrate with or replace the native messaging app?

Looks like there was a beta available for iOS7 that just got pulled: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/12/27/bitesms-beta-now-available-for-ios-7/ .

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
biteSMS beta working just fine here, but some features are still unavailable..

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

biteSMS beta working just fine here, but some features are still unavailable..

What repo did you get it from?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tonic posted:

What repo did you get it from?

http://test-cydia.bitesms.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

tonic posted:

Looks like there was a beta available for iOS7 that just got pulled: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/12/27/bitesms-beta-now-available-for-ios-7/ .

Pity I didn't grab the beta in time, but at least it looks like I won't have to wait too much longer.

• Locked thread