Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mickey McKey posted:

Will Freedom work on someone that the spell cant target, though? Though you just cast it in an area, dont you? I would have had to console it in because I was in the Planar Sphere, but I will keep that in mind for the future if it (apparently?) bugs out again.

I believe freedom works for the entire map you're on. You could be at the gates of Ust Natha and still free the imprisoned mage near the elemental gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mickey McKey posted:

Will Freedom work on someone that the spell cant target, though? Though you just cast it in an area, dont you? I would have had to console it in because I was in the Planar Sphere, but I will keep that in mind for the future if it (apparently?) bugs out again.

Yeah, it targets the map, if you it didn't work on people you can't target it wouldn't work at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Haha jesus. The inter-party banter between old party members and new EE party members is just terrible in EE1 at least. The voice for everyone who interacts with Dorn just feels horribly wrong, forced, out of character, or some mixture of the three.

Do they get any better about that in BG2EE?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Haha jesus. The inter-party banter between old party members and new EE party members is just terrible in EE1 at least. The voice for everyone who interacts with Dorn just feels horribly wrong, forced, out of character, or some mixture of the three.

I haven't seen too many (think I picked a bad party for interactions really), but the few I did see seemed pretty good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Terrible, embarrassing voice acting fits in perfectly with the rest of BG1, to be fair. This is a game where one of the canon party members stutters out Chia Pet references and Porky Pig jokes in his normal selection and command responses.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

I haven't really bothered playing much BG2EE yet, but I've seen a few banters and they seem to range from decent to really bad. Some of them just seem really out of character like eg. I saw one where Viconia was just straight out trolling Dorn praising the power of love or something, then ending it with "haha got you!".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zilkin posted:

I haven't really bothered playing much BG2EE yet, but I've seen a few banters and they seem to range from decent to really bad. Some of them just seem really out of character like eg. I saw one where Viconia was just straight out trolling Dorn praising the power of love or something, then ending it with "haha got you!".

On the one hand, Viconia trolling other characters is in character for her. On the other hand, with their special quests and items that pile up in BG2EE it's easy to mistake the EE-specific NPCs as average-to-bad mod NPCs.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Cythereal posted:

On the one hand, Viconia trolling other characters is in character for her. On the other hand, with their special quests and items that pile up in BG2EE it's easy to mistake the EE-specific NPCs as average-to-bad mod NPCs.

I don't think you can really fault them for the special quests thing. It's pretty clear that Beamdog had very strict restrictions on how much(pretty much not at all) they could alter the original content, and it seems like the only way they could find to add new areas was to tie them to the new NPCs. So if you want to play the game and ignore everything Beamdog added it's very easy to do it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Anyone know if Edwin's extra spell slots are tied to his amulet or if it's a flag on him specifically?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's the amulet.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zilkin posted:

I don't think you can really fault them for the special quests thing. It's pretty clear that Beamdog had very strict restrictions on how much(pretty much not at all) they could alter the original content, and it seems like the only way they could find to add new areas was to tie them to the new NPCs. So if you want to play the game and ignore everything Beamdog added it's very easy to do it.

That's probably the best thing to do as the new quests are loving terrible. At least Rasaad's and Neera's, I didn't touch the other two.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kanos posted:

Terrible, embarrassing voice acting fits in perfectly with the rest of BG1, to be fair. This is a game where one of the canon party members stutters out Chia Pet references and Porky Pig jokes in his normal selection and command responses.

Voice as in sounding like the actual character in terms of writing, not voice in terms of voice acting.

Zilkin posted:

Sounds just as godawful as the BG1EE stuff then. It's like a really bad fanfic, where the characters just don't sound like themselves at all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Cythereal posted:

haha oh man there's maybe one or two mod CNPCs that are as good as the EE CNPCs. The only mod companion who was anywhere near decent was... Fade, I think, and that was SoA-only.

In general, people tend to inflate the strength of the original characters but even so the mod NPCs have been almost wholly awful (with a few less severe examples).

If anything, the EE demonstrates how crucial it is to get good voice acting if you absolutely need to have it (see also: The Witcher)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

haha oh man there's maybe one or two mod CNPCs that are as good as the EE CNPCs. The only mod companion who was anywhere near decent was... Fade, I think, and that was SoA-only.

In general, people tend to inflate the strength of the original characters but even so the mod NPCs have been almost wholly awful (with a few less severe examples).

If anything, the EE demonstrates how crucial it is to get good voice acting if you absolutely need to have it (see also: The Witcher)

Or play on the bus/while watching a sleeping baby. I can't even recall what Neera's voice acting sounds like.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

The funny thing is, Dorn and Rasaad are fine. Neera's voice acting completely ruins my ability to even begin to appreciate how her writing is.

It's really just their banter with existing party members that is like nails on a chalkboard because you can immediately tell it's different writers and it's jarring as gently caress.

Basically they shouldn't have even tried, is what I'm saying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I've not run with EE NPCs in BG1 but I don't doubt it's incongruous even though NPC personalities were nebulous at best. I don't remember many intra-party banters in BG2 with Neera (there might have been one or two with Minsc). There were a few with Hexxat but they were slight and pretty one-note given that I had a good-aligned party (cognitive dissonance re: alignment isn't a bad note I suppose). I do give them credit for writing an evil character who isn't a Snidely Whiplash variant.

Really what sets the BG2EE NPCs apart from the mod pack is that the writing is pretty consistent and the characters have their own stories, as opposed to being slotted into the core questline alongside the PC or (in Saerelith's case) hijacking it entirely. That happens in too many mods.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Hi, I'm a first timer planning on playing the EE versions of BG 1+2 and I was wondering if some vets could give me some advice in regards to class selection, stat rolls and party composition?

The OP did a great job of answering most of my questions and concerns about jumping in to infinity games again (I've previously tried to start almost all of them and given up) but I'm still just slightly too scared of them not to ask for some specific advice.

I'm not opposed to a challenge in games but I mainly just want to see the story as a good or neutral aligned character with a party conducive to that. I like the idea of a berserker or paladin but should I be multi/dual classing them? Also what kind of stat rolls would be good for them and what's a good number for CHA if I want to see more dialogue?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Naeus posted:

Hi, I'm a first timer planning on playing the EE versions of BG 1+2 and I was wondering if some vets could give me some advice in regards to class selection, stat rolls and party composition?

The OP did a great job of answering most of my questions and concerns about jumping in to infinity games again (I've previously tried to start almost all of them and given up) but I'm still just slightly too scared of them not to ask for some specific advice.

I'm not opposed to a challenge in games but I mainly just want to see the story as a good or neutral aligned character with a party conducive to that. I like the idea of a berserker or paladin but should I be multi/dual classing them? Also what kind of stat rolls would be good for them and what's a good number for CHA if I want to see more dialogue?

Ok, so you want to be a good aligned party and you want to go from BG1 to the end of BG2?

Great!

First rule is don't worry about ANYTHING that happens in BG1. Just beat it and move on. NOTHING matters. Other than the +stat books that you can find (if those worry you that bad, just add them in the BG2 import)

So honestly, yeah, the meat of the game is BG:2. You should design your BG1 party based on what your BG2 end game party is going to look like. Don't get scared, any class in the game can actually solo the end game in TOB.

SO honestly, based on available NPC's in BG:2. Do NOT get a Berzeker or a Paladin. You will have both as NPC's in BG:2

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

For a first time, running a single class character is fine. In fact you have to if you play a paladin. A few suggestions.

Archer: Ranged combat rules BG1, so the Archer is a great choice to get started. In BG2 and TOB you'll have to rely on other party members a lot more though, so it may not be an ideal choice for a first time run of the second game.

Berserker: The rage ability makes you immune to just about everything, so it's a great way to counter mage abilities, but it only works if you know to get the protection up ahead of time. Still a pretty powerful class.

Inquisitor: Between a 2x level Dispel Magic and True Seeing the Inquisitor can turn mages into mincemeat.

For multiclass characters Ranger/Clerics are fun, as they are essentially Ranger/Druid/Clerics.

But really any class can easily beat the game, so play whatever sounds most fun to you. Though Wizard Slayer will probably suck for your first playthrough, I'd avoid that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dual-classing is for minmaxing spergs who want to really suffer through the challenges in the midgame, in exchange for a little extra power at the endgame where you're usually ridiculously overpowered anyway (that's why I do it all the time :smith:). I'd definitely not recommend it if you're just starting out.

Berserkers and Paladins (especially the Inquisitor kit) are both perfectly fine to play through single-classed. Berserkers are especially great in BG1, because the biggest threat in early encounters are your characters getting held/feared/charmed etc., and Berserkers are completely immune to all that junk while raging. In contrast, Inquisitors get an incredible Dispel Magic ability, which really helps dealing with enemy mages.

Stats to look for depend on what class you're playing as, but a good rule of thumb is 18 Dexterity, 16 or 18 Constitution (18 for warriors, 16 otherwise), 18 in your spellcasting attribute if you're a spellcaster, and as much Strength as you can get.

Charisma is usually a safe dump stat, even if you're concerned about the story - the game pretty much hands you ways to mitigate having a low charisma.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Item spoilers ahead.

Anyone have any insight on what to equip Keldorn with towards the very late game? At the moment I've got all the necessary pips for the Carsomyr but I was thinking it might be better to get him dual wielding something with Crom in the off hand (all other available +attack weapons are taken). Possible main hand weapons that haven't been allocated to other characters are Rune Hammer, Axe of Unyielding, Flail of Ages (does the free action interfere with haste in BG2EE?), Purifier or anything else that isn't Spectral Brand (Jaheira) or Foe Bane (PC). I'd stick with Carsomyr but the dispel on it got a huge nerf in SCS and late game it doesn't work well.

Tempted to let him do the dirty with a big ole' Ravager+6 but figure the extra poison damage on that is an easy save to make and I could get an equivalent effect with way more versatility and consistent damage on Axe of Unyielding with Crom.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Jabor posted:

Dual-classing is for minmaxing spergs who want to really suffer through the challenges in the midgame, in exchange for a little extra power at the endgame where you're usually ridiculously overpowered anyway (that's why I do it all the time :smith:).
I don't find it suffering, I think it's a lot of fun to go through some mid-game encounters as a low-level peon. It tends to help you think of innovative solutions. I remember one of my most satisfying moments was taking out an Umber Hulk in the Umar Hills with a level 3 Thief. Of course if you're clever about it you can easily arrange enough easy xp to be available after dualling that your level quickly gets up into the teens.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

caleramaen posted:

Ranger/Clerics are fun, as they are essentially Ranger/Druid/Clerics.

About R/C's... I've never played one but always liked the idea because I like having access to all of the priestly spells, and I normally play with one cleric in my party and one druid. The problem with that approach is that 1) Single-class druids are shite in the (unmodded) BG games and 2) The only other option, Jaheira, gets tiresome at times.

People talk about getting all of the druid/cleric spells in one character, but how does the game calculate spell slots when the R/C gets to a higher level? For example, say that the PC is a level 13/14 ranger/cleric late on in Shadows of Amn. If Rangers get, say, 3 1st level spells at that level and clerics get 6, plus the PC has 19 wisdom with a little help from tomes and gets the 3 bonus first level spells, does all of that add up to give the R/C 12 1st-level spells lots, or do the cleric ones overwrite the ranger ones and he gets 9 (6 cleric + 3 bonus)?

R/C is the only class multiclass combination I can think of where you earn the same kind of spells (arcane/divine) from two classes simultaneously, so I'm interested in how that works.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Item spoilers ahead.

Anyone have any insight on what to equip Keldorn with towards the very late game? At the moment I've got all the necessary pips for the Carsomyr but I was thinking it might be better to get him dual wielding something with Crom in the off hand (all other available +attack weapons are taken). Possible main hand weapons that haven't been allocated to other characters are Rune Hammer, Axe of Unyielding, Flail of Ages (does the free action interfere with haste in BG2EE?), Purifier or anything else that isn't Spectral Brand (Jaheira) or Foe Bane (PC). I'd stick with Carsomyr but the dispel on it got a huge nerf in SCS and late game it doesn't work well.

Tempted to let him do the dirty with a big ole' Ravager+6 but figure the extra poison damage on that is an easy save to make and I could get an equivalent effect with way more versatility and consistent damage on Axe of Unyielding with Crom.

FoA, though the +5 version does prevent Haste from working if you wear it before casting Haste; work around it by either unequipped Foa +5 before buffing or edit the item file with NearInfinity.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

About R/C's... I've never played one but always liked the idea because I like having access to all of the priestly spells, and I normally play with one cleric in my party and one druid. The problem with that approach is that 1) Single-class druids are shite in the (unmodded) BG games and 2) The only other option, Jaheira, gets tiresome at times.

People talk about getting all of the druid/cleric spells in one character, but how does the game calculate spell slots when the R/C gets to a higher level? For example, say that the PC is a level 13/14 ranger/cleric late on in Shadows of Amn. If Rangers get, say, 3 1st level spells at that level and clerics get 6, plus the PC has 19 wisdom with a little help from tomes and gets the 3 bonus first level spells, does all of that add up to give the R/C 12 1st-level spells lots, or do the cleric ones overwrite the ranger ones and he gets 9 (6 cleric + 3 bonus)?

R/C is the only class multiclass combination I can think of where you earn the same kind of spells (arcane/divine) from two classes simultaneously, so I'm interested in how that works.

R/C just uses the Cleric spell level progression and ignores the Ranger class progression.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Well that was stupid of me. I went to http://baldursgateii.com saw that the game was available on PC and Mac, then bought it on steam, not realizing that the steam version is PC-only.

What are the odds of my being able to get an OSX key out of this somehow?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Well that was stupid of me. I went to http://baldursgateii.com saw that the game was available on PC and Mac, then bought it on steam, not realizing that the steam version is PC-only.

What are the odds of my being able to get an OSX key out of this somehow?

If you haven't installed it yet (which it sounds like you haven't), Valve will refund you, maybe. They claim they'll only do it once, but it's worth a shot. Expect to spend up to a week waiting on an answer though.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I changed into the slayer willingly once, and the ability never came back. I thought it was a daily thing. I just want to hug people with my murder arms :saddowns:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fairly sure that you get the daily ability once you get to hell and meet up with Sarevok's ghost, if you decide to give into it. I can't remember if it's that decision or another room that turns you evil, though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It is a bug with bg2ee that slayer only works once. Maybe they will fix it sometime this month which will mean that fairly major bug lasted 2 months without a fix.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
In fairness the only time you'd really want to use the slayer is when you're doing the pocket plane challenges in ToB. And even then only if you don't have a +4 (or is it +5?).

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
If I get a Steam copy of EE, can I install it on my desktop and laptop and play a LAN game with a friend, or do I need to buy two copies?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod or a cheat that lets you skip ahead in BGEE? The first few chapters hold little appeal for me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

bunnielab posted:

Is there a mod or a cheat that lets you skip ahead in BGEE? The first few chapters hold little appeal for me.

No but I get the feeling you could copy/paste a few console commands to do it pretty easily.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

caleramaen posted:

For a first time, running a single class character is fine. In fact you have to if you play a paladin. A few suggestions.

Archer: Ranged combat rules BG1, so the Archer is a great choice to get started. In BG2 and TOB you'll have to rely on other party members a lot more though, so it may not be an ideal choice for a first time run of the second game.

Berserker: The rage ability makes you immune to just about everything, so it's a great way to counter mage abilities, but it only works if you know to get the protection up ahead of time. Still a pretty powerful class.

Inquisitor: Between a 2x level Dispel Magic and True Seeing the Inquisitor can turn mages into mincemeat.

For multiclass characters Ranger/Clerics are fun, as they are essentially Ranger/Druid/Clerics.

But really any class can easily beat the game, so play whatever sounds most fun to you. Though Wizard Slayer will probably suck for your first playthrough, I'd avoid that.

Fighter/Mage is also excellent throughout the saga. Start as an elf Fighter/Mage and mostly shoot things with bows, or gnome for the Illusionist mage specialization, saving throw bonuses (get 18 CON!), and 19 INT. You'll end up being a blender of death in melee while also quite tanky. Personally I just find them fun to play, too, no restrictions on weapons so pick something fun, buff yourself, and go chunk some fools!

The Blade bard kit works similarly and isn't a bad choice for a newbie, either.

Don't even bother with dual classing, it's powergamey and you'll be plenty strong enough. Dual classing requires your character to be a worthless gimp for potentially quite a long time with the tradeoff of being slightly stronger (in some aspects) than a multiclass in late BG2 and ToB.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

bunnielab posted:

I imagine you could activate the console, use Ctrl+J to teleport around and Ctrl+Y to kill NPCs.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've got a weird issue in BG2:EE with Keldorn where he keeps stopping and trying to interact with my PC twice every round or so like he's trying to initiate conversation but nothing's popping up.

Reload and area transitions haven't fixed it.

The Keldorn global variables in EE Keeper are:

I've reconciled him with his wife already.

Any ideas?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I've noticed this randomly happening in BG2EE with a wide variety of party members. Not consistently though, and not with any particular person. There's never been any rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

VodeAndreas posted:

I've got a weird issue in BG2:EE with Keldorn where he keeps stopping and trying to interact with my PC twice every round or so like he's trying to initiate conversation but nothing's popping up.
I got the same problem in my last playthrough in BG2EE every time I was in an outdoors area. I solved the problem by going to the Government District. Keldorn then initiated his discussion regarding visiting his estate. I visited it and the quest effectively stopped since I too had reconciled him with his wife. The quest stayed open in my journal, but Keldorn never tried leaving so it wasn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks I'll give that a try then.

e: Yeah visiting government district restarted his visit home quest dialog.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 2, 2014