Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I do remember the only reason I got past content gaps back then was because I enjoyed shooting nerds in PvP for a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mewnie posted:

of course most likely forced by Atari
Definitely forced by Atari. Atari was absolutely incompetent about how they handled Cryptic and how they handled MMOs in general. They basically wanted people to pay a monthly fee for the game and a DLCish surcharge for any sort of content addition (it's easy to forget about it now that Cryptic's stuff is F2P, but there was a huge and well deserved stink about how bullshit the c-store stuff was) despite how clearly insane and pointless that was. And they wanted Cryptic to do a new MMO every year or so, which is part of why STO was rushed so badly, yet still somehow keep the current ones full of players and making money. There's a good reason Cryptic tried to jump ship at the earliest possible opportunity, and even then Atari sabotaged them during the process solely out of spite.

Basically, gently caress Atari.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Asimo posted:

Definitely forced by Atari. Atari was absolutely incompetent about how they handled Cryptic and how they handled MMOs in general. They basically wanted people to pay a monthly fee for the game and a DLCish surcharge for any sort of content addition (it's easy to forget about it now that Cryptic's stuff is F2P, but there was a huge and well deserved stink about how bullshit the c-store stuff was) despite how clearly insane and pointless that was. And they wanted Cryptic to do a new MMO every year or so, which is part of why STO was rushed so badly, yet still somehow keep the current ones full of players and making money. There's a good reason Cryptic tried to jump ship at the earliest possible opportunity, and even then Atari sabotaged them during the process solely out of spite.

Basically, gently caress Atari.

and gently caress NCSoft...

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I can't say that they are in a better home now with the Chinese giant that is Perfect World.

I have actually not been playing CO for awhile because of the new Dota patch that introduced Legion Commander.

Which I should totally base a hero on. Dual Blades regen.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Auras are fun. I came back casually just to fly around as a glowy. :smug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
How does one calculate crit rate these days? Or is it just unknown?

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Look for Ayonachan's posts on the CO forums. She's done extensive calculations and if you want the maths, she's got them done for us already.

My own personal sweet spot appears to be about 30% crit / 100% sev (on chars that can pump severity). Say... Heroic (Silver Champions Recognition, from Unity missions) Crit gloves @ 40, and a Gambler's Gem is usually enough. OR a Dex primary, with gear for something else.

It's not that you can't go over that - I just think you're probably better off pumping something else if you hit around there. So far, in my experience.

I had chars with, I don't know, 41% crit - and I don't think it really mattered that much. I didn't lose any effectiveness by lowering their crit / raising their offense/defense, for instance, after the dodge / etc changes recently. I did that on a number of characters.

James_Bonnell fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 20, 2013

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Can someone explain how Ice is a tanking set? I'm guessing you're supposed to use the endless amount of cage powers to keep mobs at crappy-ranged-damage range, but I can't help but think that doesn't work so well.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

BlueDestiny posted:

Can someone explain how Ice is a tanking set? I'm guessing you're supposed to use the endless amount of cage powers to keep mobs at crappy-ranged-damage range, but I can't help but think that doesn't work so well.

Ice is probably about as good as any other set is for tanking. It does have a few standout powers that really support ally protection, though:

• Ice Blast + Hard Frost: A very powerful blast with Crippling Challenge that does extreme damage when the target is chilled. Couple it with Ice Breath or maybe Avalanche to apply chill to a lot of targets, as well as maybe combining that with Challenging Strikes to draw even more attention.
  • Chill itself: One of the only slowing effects that no enemy can resist - even bosses and legendaries are slowed down by it, which makes fights against targets like Jack Fool or other melee enemies a lot easier for your allies.
  • Ice Cage + Subzero Cellblock: The advantage gives Ice Cage the ability to interrupt targets it hits. Used rapidly against a target (even a boss) it basically will guarantee to stop an incoming charge attack. It's more of a control tactic than anything else, but it still sort of gets at the heart of what the tank's supposed to do, which is keep itself and its allies from getting hurt.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I found a person:

:stonk:

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
You found a person. :buddy:
You should befriend that person. Or ask them to write a bio for their character and then post it on Caprice Bingo.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So, if you use the mega costume editor mod, if you we're to remove the mod afterwards, does it invalidate costumes?
I gave it a try and it's pretty neat, but you can't access auras or go out to character select with it active :(

I assume it should still work, since I have a character with the old Nephilim Large with no texture thing and as one as I don't edit that it stil good. Just wondering if anyone else who used it removed the mod kept it.

also, goddam iOS auto spellchecker :argh:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Disabling the mod will only reset/break your outfits if you go to the tailor to change them around. It should be fine so long as you don't do that.

But yeah, reason that happens is that the Supercreator changes some UI elements around - Since it was last updated, those new Aura and character change features were added in, which the modded UI file doesn't have.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

So as enjoyable as the combat still is, dealing with free archetypes for so long is getting really limiting because I keep wanting to make characters with different moves and poo poo. So I shelled out and went Gold again.

I'm gonna have fun relearning how everything works together! It's kind of like building a dude with Legos. Except instead of bricks, you get world-destroying powers. :haw:

Is it possible to have Darkness and Might (or Unarmed) synergize well at all? I basically want to play as a Melee-era Ganondorf, slugging the poo poo out of people with dark magic, but all information or possible builds on the forum seem to be horribly, horribly out of date. I tried to salvage what I could and piece together a build, but...it ends up performing really, really horribly on the test servers.
The basic idea is to lock a group down with Grasping Shadows, come in with Void Shift and slug 'em all with Roomsweeper, then Demolish/Kick the remaining villains or master villains, with Life Drain/Resurgence for more defensive play. Would this work for that, or am I being an idiot and missing something horribly obvious?

quote:

(Link to this build)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Feral
Level 6: Mighty
Level 9: Enduring
Level 12: Energetic
Level 15: Physical Conditioning
Level 18: Bodybuilder
Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Thundering Kicks
Level 6: Void Shift
Level 8: Grasping Shadows
Level 11: Defiance
Level 14: Roomsweeper
Level 17: Resurgence
Level 20: Void Horror
Level 23: Demolish
Level 26: Lifedrain
Level 29: Shadow Shroud
Level 32: Dark Transfusion
Level 35: whatever
Level 38: whatever

Specializations:
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Overpower (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Mastery: whatever

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 12, 2014

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I actually have a character with darkness and unarmed powers. They play pretty well together, depending on which specific powers you want from each set. Here's my build:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=7&n=&d=1237MGKPC9I6313K004K203K900K804A600AA07AF05DN05DD04DK04K4059N00DB01QG000mc53T3B0CAT

Name:

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Savage
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Impresario
Level 12: Quick Recovery
Level 15: Professional Athlete
Level 18: Martial Focus
Level 21: Shooter

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt (Despondency)
Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
Level 8: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
Level 11: Form of the Tempest
Level 14: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running)
Level 17: Rising Knee (Rank 2, Flowing Strikes)
Level 20: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Chi Flame)
Level 23: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 26: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 29: Shadow Shroud (Rank 2, Terrifying Visage)
Level 32: Unbreakable
Level 35: Intensity (Rank 2)
Level 38: Resurgence

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

Could probably be better - I'm not sure vindicator mastery is worth it, even with gearing for some strength and ego. It currently gives I think 7-8% to both which isn't much. The big thing worth noting, though - the DoT from Dragon Uppercut w/ Chi Flame will proc Spirit Reverb since it does dimensional damage. And the fear advantage on Void Shift is 100% chance. That plus focus means pretty much infinite energy all the time ever.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Void Shift into One Hundred Hands with Ghost Strikes is a pretty legit combo.

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...
Since we're talking about Unarmed/Darkness powers I might as well show mine. More Unarmed than Darkness, but still fun for me.

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=8&n=&d=1123a9AGEKP6191D100D507DA03K804K900DK05A600AB04DN05KD08DO05DB01QG00K4053bkF3bIm0CAT

Name:

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Martial Focus
Level 9: Physical Conditioning
Level 12: Acrobat
Level 15: Relentless
Level 18: Impresario
Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
Level 1: Vicious Strikes
Level 1: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
Level 6: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
Level 11: Spirit Reverberation
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 17: Form of the Tempest
Level 20: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 23: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Chi Flame)
Level 26: Ebon Ruin (Paranormal Paranoia)
Level 29: Open Palm Strike (Rank 2, Focused Chi Blast)
Level 32: Intensity (Rank 2)
Level 35: Resurgence
Level 38: Shadow Shroud (Rank 2, Terrifying Visage)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
Level 35: Swinging (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Overpower (3/3)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

It's been a while since I used this one, but you could switch some things around if you wanted to and it'd still be okay I think. Like the one above, it doesn't have energy issues between focus, dimensional damage, and Spirit Reverb. You could probably replace Open Palm Strike with Burning Chi Fist with Fists of the Righteous Flame if you don't want to knock things away from you, but why would you want to do that? :colbert:

Kimchi Surplus fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 13, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Swordsmith posted:

but why would you want to do that? :colbert:

I like you.

And thanks for the input, guys. I'm having a whole ton of fun with this now.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I recently got a month of gold and I'm looking to check out freeform, but I'm a little paralyzed by choice. There's a few themes I want to check out like a DoT/HoT character if that's a thing, a pet class of some sort, and looking at the different types of tanking but I'm really over whelmed with it all. Is there a decent character builder I can use to plan things out a little? I tried to get one off a wiki but apparently it's no longer hosted anywhere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm guessing Powerhouse is a decent character builder (I've never looked, but people keep linking it), but you really don't need it. This game is so easy that you'll survive with any build. I tried to prove it by making a character entirely by RNG, but then she accidentally turned out to be a really solid character.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

A crappy build makes the game much harder, which different people take into consideration differently.

This is the good character builder: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

If you want to go DoT, try something like this:
Level 1: Infernal Bolts
Level 1: Venomous Breath
Level 6: Devour Essence
Level 8: Supernatural Power
Level 11: Pestilence
Level 14: Aspect of the Infernal
Level 17: Defile

Now you are poisoning the poo poo out of everything.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

A crappy build makes the game much harder, which different people take into consideration differently.

This is the good character builder: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

If you want to go DoT, try something like this:
Level 1: Venomous Breath
Level 6: Devour Essence
Level 11: Pestilence
Level 14: Aspect of the Infernal
Level 17: Defile

Now you are poisoning the poo poo out of everything.

Awesome I'll try that out tonight and see how it goes! Thank you so much.

The only issue I have with power house is that it doesn't actually tell you anything about the skills except for some fluff text so it's not very useful for me personally.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

Awesome I'll try that out tonight and see how it goes! Thank you so much.

The only issue I have with power house is that it doesn't actually tell you anything about the skills except for some fluff text so it's not very useful for me personally.

I'd recommend using the CO-wiki, but it actually got taken down rather recently. The webmaster of it had been gone for a long while.

But thankfully I managed to write a guide that explains exactly what every power does. And it will explain exactly how good each power is for given purposes.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

For the longest time, I'd been wanting to try a full power armor build, but I had always been too in love with my power armor wearing munitions guy to really make anything else and stick with it. Then somewhere in this thread I read about using kickback to keep 3 toggles going in PA, which is exactly what I had wanted to do with my PA character.

Now, he's level 37, and using this build I made. Anything glaring I may want to switch up? I don't have to be the best dps or tank or anything, I just want to be a little versatile, and be able to shoot the everliving gently caress out of everything with my many onboard weapons. The best part is, I made my guy's costume look like a mech and if I walk around in huge stance while firing all the weapons, epecially in a circle around the target, I look pretty much just like a mechwarrior reject firing lasers bullets and missles into all the enemies. I love it too drat much to care if it's not absurdly optimized.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Bluhman posted:

I'd recommend using the CO-wiki, but it actually got taken down rather recently. The webmaster of it had been gone for a long while.

But thankfully I managed to write a guide that explains exactly what every power does. And it will explain exactly how good each power is for given purposes.

Not that the wiki would help much anyways- it was woefully out of date and the folks who contributed were more interested in getting info they could lord over others anyways.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Bluhman posted:

A little note about snap shot, the advantage increases the base damage against targets under 25% health by an additional 35% for a total of 60%, instead of just to 35% extra base damage.

But wow, this is an amazing guide Bluhman.

Edit: About Open Palm strike, it makes half the damage a 25foot cylinder as Dimensional and the other half is physical against the target only. Both portions of damage strike the initial target.

HukHukHuk fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 18, 2014

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Bluhman posted:

Whoa that's some really good work! Thank you so much for linking that and putting the time into it. It's a wonderful break down and helps a ton!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Bluhman posted:

:stare: That is an unbelievable amount of useful info and a whole bunch of interesting advice.
Thanks very much, man. The DARK EMPRESS WILL RISE AGAIN TO CONQUER ALL and show her grimdark by heroics and saving people.

How do you plan on keeping up with it as updates go on?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game gets updated like once a season, pretty sure he'll have time.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
If you want maximum poison hilarity, take Fire Snake. If that's not enough, take Ice Form too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You'll end up doing so much DPS with poison that I strongly recommend taking a detaunt, I like Evasive Maneuvers + Sleight of Mind. Grouping will be a huge pain otherwise. You'll still get aggro a whole lot in groups of minions but where it hurts the most is vs. any boss, and a detaunt is going to save you dozens of deaths.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Or just dual-passive. I find my all-gas, all-the-time character is perfectly survivable in alerts, and still does decent dps in Regen mode (Hybrid).

Mind you, I nearly always gear up new characters with 3 primary Nemesis pieces, and 3 secondary armadillo pieces for +resist until the mid 30s when I get blue gear for slotting mods. YMMV.

Strongly agree with a detaunt if you don't like or don't want to dual with a defense passive, though.

She's 29 now and kicking rear end and taking names.

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...L000ckr3V8f1JgP

Name: Gas Girl

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1:
Level 6:
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers:
Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist)
Level 6: Pestilence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Epidemic (Rank 2, Outbreak)
Level 14: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Defile (Rank 2, Plague Bearer)
Level 20: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
Level 23: Aspect of the Infernal
Level 26: Gas Arrow (Rank 2, Noxious Fumes)
Level 29: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 32: Smoke Grenade (Escape Artist)
Level 35: Gas Pellets (Rank 2, Oversized Pellet Bag)
Level 38: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
Level 35: Hyper Ball

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (1/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (1/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

This may not be her 40 build, but I wanted to try it and it's badass.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013

Cheeseman posted:

For the longest time, I'd been wanting to try a full power armor build, but I had always been too in love with my power armor wearing munitions guy to really make anything else and stick with it. Then somewhere in this thread I read about using kickback to keep 3 toggles going in PA, which is exactly what I had wanted to do with my PA character.

Now, he's level 37, and using this build I made. Anything glaring I may want to switch up? I don't have to be the best dps or tank or anything, I just want to be a little versatile, and be able to shoot the everliving gently caress out of everything with my many onboard weapons. The best part is, I made my guy's costume look like a mech and if I walk around in huge stance while firing all the weapons, epecially in a circle around the target, I look pretty much just like a mechwarrior reject firing lasers bullets and missles into all the enemies. I love it too drat much to care if it's not absurdly optimized.

Cheeseman - only thing I can see is don't rank up Wrist Bolter. You'd be better off ranking Reconstruction Circuits.

I'd personally work in a hand slot other than wrist bolter - I can typically, on an Avenger PA build, with END, have Minigun and Micromunitions running all the time, and alternate, say, Tac Missiles or Power Gauntlet, Plasma beam, and wrist bolter as needed.

Otherwise looks pretty good from here.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Always been partial to concussive beams for the hand slot, myself. Do pretty solid damage too.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Thanks, I'll fool around with those ideas and tweak it some more. I had ranked up bolters because I figured if it was going to be running a majority of the time, I might as well get the most out of it. But now at these later levels, having drat near 400 energy max means I have a lot more room to fool around with.

*edit*: Also, with good timing, I can tap and even partial/fully charge chest beam without interrupting micromunitions, which can eat a good deal of energy with full charges, but gives a nice burst of damage and the -12% damage resistance debuff. Coupled with initiative and the minigun debuff, I'm able to tear down even gravitar's physical defenses pretty well.

Cheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 20, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I'm super bummed my old pet tank concept just does not work anymore.

Any idea what Mecha Nixon should be now?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Hey Bluhman (or anybody else, for that matter): any suggestions on what superstats/powers to stuff into this Ranged DPS concept so I can be thematically where I want to be and still survive/be usuful in Gravitar? He's a Cosmic-themed guy and uses Power Armor attacks. This is what I have right now:

Super Stats:
Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
Level 10: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Impulse
Level 6: Academics
Level 9: Negotiator
Level 12: Wordly
Level 15: Field Ops Training
Level 18: Daredevil
Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
Level 1: Power Bolts
Level 1: Concussor Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 6: Eye Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Concentration
Level 11: Unbreakable
Level 14: Overdrive
Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
Level 26: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
Level 29: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Planar Fracture
Level 35: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
Level 38: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Power Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35:

Specializations:
Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (2/3)
Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Right now the only things I really want to keep are Concussor Beams and Eye Beams, although I want everything to be energy-based. Call me Captain Lasers. Is there any way to use those while turning him into something that can somewhat survive gravitar and still put out DPS? I'm assuming Constitution is a must for a secondary, but I have no idea how to build anything.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 20, 2014

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Well, my Gravitar-surviving DPS fall into two categories: dual-passives, or stacking different kinds of defenses.

E.g. My ice character, with ice form / invuln (I think). Or my END Primary PA guy, with Targeting Computer and Invuln (although he'll probably be Regen next respec, whenever I get around to that).

Or my Night Warrior semi-tank ranged DPS, with Ego PSS, stacking offense/defense, a block (TK Shield), 2 heals (Holdout Shot, BCR), and an Active Defense, Masterful Dodge. There's the defense layer proper, dodge/avoid, physical resist from the persistent block effect, and if I'm feeling the need, Armadillo secondaries for more +resist.

My electric guy uses Ego PSS, stacking offense/defense, Circle of Primal Dominion, and Force Shield, plus Conviction. Oh, and Stormbringer, which gives crushing resist.

I'd definitely consider going Guardian/Vindicator for the Best Defense/Aggressive Stance loop. I do like either Vindavenger or Guardavenger too, but it depends on how good the rest of the build is doing.

At 40, I'd gear for ... crit chance, mostly, from Primary Offense; either dodge/avoid (Wimpazoid made a point on another board about absorbing spike damage, 55% avoid 18% of the time means half damage from a block, when you get lucky and get one)... or +health/defense mod.

Also, just for Gravitar, I'd consider getting the Armadillo secondaries for the +25% resist. I use it on some chars, others not.

I even use them on my Regen / Unstop guy who regularly tanks Gravitar. It made the Yellow bubbles more survivable.

For a PA type, I'm a fan of Int primary (which you have), Ego, or End.

I would probably go Int/Con/Rec (stacking end), or Ego/Con/Rec, or End/Int/Con.

You don't really need Ego to be a SSS IMO. You get plenty of damage out of Concentration and Ranged damage mode.

Without putting together a full build, the one thing there I'd probably ditch is Planar Fracture.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

James_Bonnell posted:

Without putting together a full build, the one thing there I'd probably ditch is Planar Fracture.

Yeah that's the first thing I'm ditching. Was just a "I have 1 more power, this looks cosmic-y" type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman posted:

COWiki going down really says everything you need to know about how this game's doing, really. :ughh:

And do you mind if I link to that guide in the OP? It needs some cleaning up (and mention of more recent additions like Auras and... ... uh. And Auras) and the existing power guides and such are presently out of date. I admit I still haven't played this game in months and the thread's going on three years old now, so if anyone who's still regularly playing the game and feels up to handling an informative and up-to-date OP wants to start a new one, let me know.

I'm looking your way, Bluhman.