Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Assetto Corsa is a flash sale for $30. Is it good enough in its current state to justify that cost?

yes. do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Assetto Corsa is a flash sale for $30. Is it good enough in its current state to justify that cost?

Yes. There's no multiplayer yet, but the game is only going to be more expensive by then sooooo....

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I got my G27 hooked up, realized I need to complete a project to prevent my computer chair from rolling away (I'll be doing this with the pedals tomorrow), but even sitting in a really uncomfortable dining room chair (without wheels) last night, I sat there and drove a Fiat around Monza for about 3 straight hours last night in Assetto Corsa. I am pretty bad at sim racing, but AC is pretty loving awesome with literally only Time Attack/Practice modes.

I also gave some Race '07 some play time last night as well. There is too much content in that loving thing (with all the add-ons I got with it on the cheap). Can someone recommend a good progression for someone who 1) has a good idea of what you are SUPPOSED to do to go fast in a racing sim but 2) is just really bad at it to start out? I just don't know where to start in that software!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I got my g27a few days ago as well, and all I can say is that your world will explode when you get iracing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have a different setup that stows better:

To keep the rudders from pushing away from my feet (also a bonus shot of the fact that all of my cables and the switch to my power bar have to be covered because of my loving cats):

To keep my chair from sliding back:

Simple and effective.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Chair chocks, nice!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Definitely. You just have to be ok with racing the clock for the moment.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I am a racing sim newbie and bought AC when it was on sale for the first time on Steam. I have a G27 and was wondering what kind of settings are you guys using on AC and for the G27 profiler.

Also, how bad am I for having ABS enabled? Is the only assistance I have on (except for the line) and find it really hard to slow down before turns without it.

I am terrible at this, the only cars I manage to control are the older BMWs and my best time at Imola is 2:15.

Tom Ford
Feb 9, 2012

Is AC still decent with a controller instead of a wheel?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Tom Ford posted:

Is AC still decent with a controller instead of a wheel?

I found it twitchy but drivable.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Barnsy posted:

Definitely. You just have to be ok with racing the clock for the moment.

Could you expand on what's so good about it? I'm honestly a bit confused about how a racing game with no multiplayer or single player could be worth £23. Especially considering I just bought F1 2013 Classic Edition for £10 and it has both of those things and a bucketload of content. And Race 07 cost me something like 74p.

Not that it matters much, since I'm broke now regardless, but I'm curious :v:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

thorsilver posted:

Could you expand on what's so good about it? I'm honestly a bit confused about how a racing game with no multiplayer or single player could be worth £23. Especially considering I just bought F1 2013 Classic Edition for £10 and it has both of those things and a bucketload of content. And Race 07 cost me something like 74p.

It's early access, multiplayer will be in eventually.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

thorsilver posted:

It is one of, if not the, best feeling sim out there. Its also mighty pretty. Its also looking very promising in the ai racing front, and mp.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Just sold some old ram on ebay for 27 quid, gonna pick up this AC with that sweet cash.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

tehsid posted:

It is one of, if not the, best feeling sim out there. Its also mighty pretty. Its also looking very promising in the ai racing front, and mp.

This. The feel is just 'right' for a sim. Also, despite still having a pretty sparse car lot there's a really good spread. The tracks that are included are great as well. And the cars just look amazing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Good poo poo.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

Good poo poo.

This one is me and tehsid on the last lap isn't it?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

EvilJoven posted:

I have a different setup that stows better:

To keep the rudders from pushing away from my feet (also a bonus shot of the fact that all of my cables and the switch to my power bar have to be covered because of my loving cats):

To keep my chair from sliding back:

Simple and effective.

I love the doorstop chocks. Unfortunately, it does not work well on my surface. I have carpet covered by one of those office chair rolling surfaces, which is extra slick by design. The door stop simply slides along on it. :( And I was so excited!

Meh... the DIY project should be easy and cheap, and my computer area has room for the MDF panel to lay about off to the side. I've already got a joystick/rudder pedal monstrosity made out of PVC to my right, one more bit of kit to the left isn't going to make the area look any less dorky!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

thorsilver posted:

AC is a hardcore sim type game and those aren't. People that would play AC or rF2 are after the best physics (tire, suspension, etc) possible because it winds up making the driving deep and challenging. Right now the cars are interesting enough to drive that people are putting in hours and hours to try to go faster in a big circle all alone.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

An Enormous Boner posted:

AC is a hardcore sim type game and those aren't.

OK so replace F1 2013 with GTR 2, which I also bought and played which I understand to be more hardcore and which cost me all of 49 pence.

Or for a recent example, Game Stock Car 2013, which costs less, is in full release, has good AI and multiplayer functionality, is widely lauded for its realism, etc. etc. Or even iRacing, which is crazy expensive, but at least people can do a ton of actual racing even with just the subscription and the free content.

I understand that sim-racing folks like good driving models, because I certainly do! The point is that even in that context it sounds like a pretty major risk, since there's no guarantees that the devs won't run out of money or whatever before they can finish it. I'm just very wary of buying a racing sim that has no racing in it -- but all the enthusiasm for this beta certainly has me intrigued.

quote:

People that would play AC or rF2 are after the best physics (tire, suspension, etc) possible because it winds up making the driving deep and challenging. Right now the cars are interesting enough to drive that people are putting in hours and hours to try to go faster in a big circle all alone.

Given that I already spend time working on getting faster in iRacing, are the cars particularly better to drive somehow than doing time trials in that? What exactly makes the physics so compelling?

There's some nice stuff on the website -- dynamic modelling of rubber deposits on the track, time-of-day changes, stuff that iRacing still doesn't have. How's the actual driving feel at the moment?

I guess what I'm weighing up is, should I buy into this now while sales are on and be ready for the coming awesomeness, or is it safer to devote that money toward some iRacing stuff that I should get. Unfortunately it has to be one or the other for me.

On another topic -- my G25 appears to have poo poo itself :( No power goes to the wheel no matter what I do, I've reinstalled drivers a million times, tried different power outlets, etc. Anybody else have this happen? I've spent hours trying to fix it tonight and have had no luck at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're comparing finished games to a beta version. Assetto Corsa isn't finished, and isn't close to being finished. You are paying for a game that isn't out yet so you can test it as they develop it. This is one problem with the Steam early access program. People buy a game assuming it's a finished product when it's not. Come back when Assetto Corsa is finished, has single player and multiplayer and all the promised content and then compare it to other sims.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

darkdeus posted:

That's a good deal for GSC and FT. Such good games!

Here's some screens of AC downsampled from 4K that I took. They really nailed the lighting. Has that natural look that GT does well too.

Wow, that's gorgeous. Could you post the original 4K screenshots?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

I love the doorstop chocks. Unfortunately, it does not work well on my surface. I have carpet covered by one of those office chair rolling surfaces, which is extra slick by design. The door stop simply slides along on it. :( And I was so excited!

Meh... the DIY project should be easy and cheap, and my computer area has room for the MDF panel to lay about off to the side. I've already got a joystick/rudder pedal monstrosity made out of PVC to my right, one more bit of kit to the left isn't going to make the area look any less dorky!

Completely by accident I put a car mat under my pedals one day and have never looked back, they never move at all.
Seriously, if you can, try that, the awesome side effect is your pedals look even more authentic sat down there on a car mat!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You can simply say we know as much as you do now, it's a risk for sure but a calculate one. Plenty of us have been watching AC develop for a long long time now and it's plain to see that this is a genuine article that should (if nothing goes spectacularly wrong) be an awesome sim someday in the not to distant future.

What I did was just plonk down the cash, it was a no brainer for me and I don't regret it at all. In fact I get a nice update every couple of weeks and it's like a new game all over again.

By the time it does come out I'll have long forgotten about even paying for it and I'll have the (potentially) market leading sim.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

Completely by accident I put a car mat under my pedals one day and have never looked back, they never move at all.
Seriously, if you can, try that, the awesome side effect is your pedals look even more authentic sat down there on a car mat!

The pedals moving isn't my problem... it's my chair moving away from my pedals.

It matters not, however, as I have completed my project! And because half the fun of doing poo poo like this is showing it off, here is some images of the results!

This is the setup in "driving mode", as it were. Chair rolls up onto the bottom panel into the slot and acts as chocks. You can roll out of the slot fairly easily but you really have to mean to.

The monitors swing as close as I can get them to the wheel and still be able to reach the keyboard if I need to.

The wheel and shifter are not perma-mounted (although that was a possibility... but I've found that currently the existing table mount mechanism holds them in place fine... and it makes switching to "non-driving mode" a breeze. Just loosen both devices, slide them down the desk to the left, and tighten one of the clasps finger tight so they don't fall off the desk. The pedal panel just slides to the left, leaving my legs plenty of room for normal sitting posture.
Shown to the right of my chair is my crazy-rear end Flight Sim rig made from PVC, which has to slide under my desk to set up. I may have a problem.

Here's what the whole thing looks like when I'm not driving:

Here's a shot of just the panel with the pedals attached:

Home Depot didn't have 3/8 inch MDF, so I had to settle for the slightly thinner 1/4 MDF, which meant that trying to countersink the bolts would have been too risky for the equipment I have, so the only concession I made was that the bolts are sitting raw on top of the bottom panel. I did a few laps in a Fiat using the H shifter (and clutch) and with just a single strip of this industrial strength Velcro on the side closest to me, these pedals do not go anywhere at all.

Here's what the part between the two boards looks like:

I did this just in case I want to adjust where the pedals are in relation to the chair (or so my 6'1" nephew can come over and play it as well... all I'll need to do is add another strip of the soft part of the Velcro closer to the wall, and it's easy-peasy). The board mounted to the pedals gives me a nice flat surface to attach the Velcro to, as the bottom of the pedals is this mostly non-solid plastic design.

All in all it took me 2.5 hours, including the trip to Home Depot and cleaning my living room of the resulting mess.

Now I just need to learn how to get fast at racing with intermittent bouts of Euro Truck Simulator 2.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Nerdpit ahoy!

You dicks had me cruising Kijiji looking for a wheel and my biggest thought is 'where do I stash my airplane pedals when using my car pedals?' because there's no way my airplane pedals will be any good for a car.

EDIT: I just installed every Race 07 addon.

:stare:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 31, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Nerdpit ahoy!

You dicks had me cruising Kijiji looking for a wheel and my biggest thought is 'where do I stash my airplane pedals when using my car pedals?' because there's no way my airplane pedals will be any good for a car.

EDIT: I just installed every Race 07 addon.

:stare:

Cruising for the g27, right? :getin:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not yet...

I do have the proper ports forwarded to host races. Minis on Laguna Seca are fun as hell. It's the only track where I'm competative because I remember every nook and cranny of that track from GT3. My friends and I in college ran that course the most.

My only problem is if I start to host races, I'll be wrangling nerds for two different games. Maybe I should convince all the IL-2 goons to buy this...\

EDIT: Is Monaco hidden in here somewhere, either as an official track or a mod? That's another track I've done a lot of laps in.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 31, 2013

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who find reading and math as hard as I did tonight, this appears to be the cheapest way to get everything in RACE 07 - Buy the RACE Injection pack, and the following DLC:
STCC The Game 1 - Expansion Pack for RACE 07
RACE On - Expansion Pack for RACE 07
GTR Evolution - Expansion Pack for RACE 07

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Took apart and cleaned and lubed up my Clubsport pedals and made them ready for reverse-mount. Now I just need to make a mount. Anyone else try this and make their own that can provide some tips, hints, possibly something that can be done with either wood or metal?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

EvilJoven posted:

Not yet...

I do have the proper ports forwarded to host races. Minis on Laguna Seca are fun as hell. It's the only track where I'm competative because I remember every nook and cranny of that track from GT3. My friends and I in college ran that course the most.

My only problem is if I start to host races, I'll be wrangling nerds for two different games. Maybe I should convince all the IL-2 goons to buy this...\

EDIT: Is Monaco hidden in here somewhere, either as an official track or a mod? That's another track I've done a lot of laps in.

Monaco 1988
http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=15036

Monaco 2007
http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=6455

Enjoy!

Here's a link to all the addon tracks.
http://www.nogripracing.com/files.php?subcat=61&sort=name

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Couple other websites that host mods and tracks:
http://www.weissbierbude.de/
http://www.drivingitalia.net/index.html

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

thorsilver posted:

I understand that sim-racing folks like good driving models, because I certainly do! The point is that even in that context it sounds like a pretty major risk, since there's no guarantees that the devs won't run out of money or whatever before they can finish it. I'm just very wary of buying a racing sim that has no racing in it -- but all the enthusiasm for this beta certainly has me intrigued.

The developers have been around for a while, its the same people who did netkar pro and I think they also have contracts with other companies, so its not quite the same category as paying for a game where the developers might disappear or have their laptops stolen a few months later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This isn't like Star Citizen where the developer made a bunch of cool looking space ships and then "whoops, the actual game play keeps getting delayed." Assetto Corsa has actual driving and people are buying it. Worst case scenario, it becomes a time trial simulator. It still has amazing driving and I doubt the developer will be going under making a sim like this.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
I just installed a GTeye replacement Brake spring I purchased from EBay, for my G27. I used the original brake spring for clutch and swapped the clutch spring to the accelerator and this was a tremendous upgrade to the original G27 setup.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Thank you! I can now drive Nelson Ledges (my home track) in GT Legends & GTR2 and nothing else matters!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTw3YlchRw

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It got a bit messy at the end there but holy :catstare:ing poo poo. I can only guess he's driven the hell out of that track in RBR to be able to do that without pace notes.

edit: I got AC in the recent flash sale on steam and the quality of the wheel feedback has ruined the other games i use a wheel with. I've only been playing GT5 otherwise lately, so it's no real competition, but the frustration from not being able to catch your car from a spin you could with better feedback is huge.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 1, 2014

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Can't wait for them to put Trento Bondone into AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Are there any sims that have the Stowe circuit at silverstone? I got a driving experience there for christmas and was thinking of trying it out.

• Locked thread