Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Everybody everywhere hates tourists. Everybody everywhere hates Bakos and, uh, Fresnaughts. Multiply that hate together and they don't have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The greatest day of the year in San Diego is the day after Labor Day because all the Arizonans drive back home and we can finally get some parking near the beach.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Go home Zonies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Injuryprone posted:

Go home Zonies.
Hasta la vista, Arizonistas!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

xcdude24 posted:

Sorry for being late to Concord chat, but el molino has awesome tacos/burritos and slow hand BBQ(pleasant hill) is probably the gold standard for ribs and pulled pork in the bay area. On that note, I heard Smokehouse 10 in Martinez is supposed to be great; anyone been?

I don't trust any BBQ not served out of a semi-refurbished gas station. Goes double if the guy working the smoker us less than 350lbs

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Headed to LA on monday. Are Guisados and Bludsos as good as J Gold makes them out to be? My friend also likes boat noodles; is there a superior choice in Hollywood?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

California finishes the driest year on record.

The forecast for spring is more dry weather with no end to the drought, after three record low-rainfall years in a row.

I'm thinking this year is the year to knuckle down and tear out the lawn out front and plant my mostly-natives drought-resistant garden so I don't have to water it so much this summer when poo poo gets even more real.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

END THE POLITICIAN-CREATED DUST BOWL

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FMguru posted:

Well OK then, so that'll be carbon taxes, public transportation subsidies, and nuclear power for everyone. That's what they meant, right? So we can fight global climate change? We might get a good result in fifty or so years if congress acts now! In the meantime we can massively convert our farming to low-water-intensity crops, so like, no more rice.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The forecast is a slightly higher chance that precipitation will be below average through March. We are taking a 55% chance before average versus 45% above average. That doesn't mean "no rain" and we certainly could still see above average rainfall by the end of winter, but based on the weak climate signals in place it is a little more likely we see below average rainfall. All it would take is for a wet six week period to setup and you could have above average precipitation fit the winter.

I don't think that'll happen though. Not a good situation. Rationing should have happened last winter if not just be ever present given the stars climate.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FMguru posted:

Goddamn hippie environmentalists :bahgawd:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

IF <state representative> HAS THEIR WAY
ALL YOUR WATER GOES TO LA

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I get the impression that some of those angry about water sign dudes bought cheap farmland in the rain shadow of the coastal range, and are basically speculating on a water project that will raise the value of that land. How wrong am I?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

All Of The Dicks posted:

I get the impression that some of those angry about water sign dudes bought cheap farmland in the rain shadow of the coastal range, and are basically speculating on a water project that will raise the value of that land. How wrong am I?
They're just your typical right-wing signs on some mega-corp owned farmlands designed to blame Obama, etc etc and reinforce ideology in the area. No grand conspiracy.

Anyways, sucks to hear about the impending-drought :( I'm in NZ for work and I love that we get lot of rain even during summer here. I remember thinking last year was dry as gently caress with only a handful days of rain but I'm surprised there's basically been none and it's really going to suck hard when summer hits if those predictions hold true. A shame because I really love rain and Spring is always my favorite--especially when the sun comes out after a huge shower.

We use far too much water for being a semi-arid to arid state and the sooner everyone gets rid of loving lawns and puts in a succulent garden the better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

They're just your typical right-wing signs on some mega-corp owned farmlands designed to blame Obama, etc etc and reinforce ideology in the area. No grand conspiracy.

There may be a little bit of conspiracy. I remember hearing some years ago that some property owners along I-5 had been fined for discing up unused fields to make sure that drivers had a nice dust cloud to view along with the crazy water signs.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 31, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Kenning posted:

IF <state representative> HAS THEIR WAY
ALL YOUR WATER GOES TO LA

All the signs I saw on my last drive through I-5 actually tried to lump LA and SD in with the valley; "WELCOME TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, RESTRICTED WATER DELIVERY ZONE, KINGS AND KERN COUNTIES AND LOS ANGELES AND SAN DIEGO" and "PROTECT THE VALLEY AND LA AND SD." A lot of SoCal draws its water from the Colorado, instead, though, doesn't it?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 31, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

All Of The Dicks posted:

Basically, these farmers are not short of water at all. They sell much of their water to cities in SoCal already. They want a greater percentage of the water so they can sell more to SoCal at a higher rate.
Oh and the land more than a few feet from the highway are very productive and get quite a bit of water. Most of those farms are owned by just a couple of Central Valley barons.
If you are a NSFW corp subscriber (which I am until I cancel because they got bought out), this is pretty good: https://www.nsfwcorp.com/feature/journey-through-oligarch-valley/. If not, google the Resnicks. They own a bunch of the water in Kern County (as well as Fiji Water and POM)

nm fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 31, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Central Valley looks pretty damned green from where I'm sitting (I am a satellite and they are not). Oxnard's harvest was positively bustling when I passed through, and it's an ag mite compared to San Joaquin.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

If you are a NSFW corp subscriber (which I am until I cancel because they got bought out), this is pretty good: https://www.nsfwcorp.com/feature/journey-through-oligarch-valley/. If not, google the Resnicks. They own a bunch of the water in Kern County (as well as Fiji Water and POM)

Seconding this recommendation. If you are in CA and there is a way for you to subscribe for a month or whatever to get access to this article then definitely do it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The CV is literally a desert based on climate classification; the west side (along I5) gets maybe 3-6"/yr of rain. Interestingly California's overall climate is the most prone to extremes in the US, many years of drought and many with flood, "average" years aren't exceedingly common.

Also gently caress the smog here, this poo poo is on par with Beijing based on observations. Wait, it is a actually worse right now.

http://aqicn.org/city/beijing/m/

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

withak posted:

Seconding this recommendation. If you are in CA and there is a way for you to subscribe for a month or whatever to get access to this article then definitely do it.

You can also get it on Kindle Store for a buck, like I did. It's quarter of a magazine for a quarter of the price!

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Well OK then, so that'll be carbon taxes, public transportation subsidies, and nuclear power for everyone. That's what they meant, right? So we can fight global climate change? We might get a good result in fifty or so years if congress acts now! In the meantime we can massively convert our farming to low-water-intensity crops, so like, no more rice.

I'd actually be on board with nuclear power for everyone. You can do a lot if electricity is cheap. Desalinization, for one thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

After Fukushima, it's going to be politically next to impossible to build nuclear power plants in California, what with our fault lines. Which is dumb, because Fukushima was hosed by a tsunami and it should be easy enough to avoid such a danger, but there you go.

Also there's the matter of the radioactive waste and where to put it... heeeeyyy, I just figured out what to do with Fresno!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

After Fukushima, it's going to be politically next to impossible to build nuclear power plants in California, what with our fault lines. Which is dumb, because Fukushima was hosed by a tsunami and it should be easy enough to avoid such a danger, but there you go.

Also there's the matter of the radioactive waste and where to put it... heeeeyyy, I just figured out what to do with Fresno!
Just hope they actually up-fund LFTR ASAP.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I read that thing about the Resnicks and I can't even process it. It would take like some charts and stuff.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

I read that thing about the Resnicks and I can't even process it. It would take like some charts and stuff.

What more is there to know than

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Just hope they actually up-fund LFTR ASAP.

Huh. I just read all about that and it's really interesting.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. I just read all about that and it's really interesting.
The google talk compression(s) is/are pretty good also:

LFTRs in 5 minutes - Thorium Reactors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK367T7h6ZY

Thorium Remix 2009 - LFTR in 25 Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHdRJqi__Z8

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Nuclear has been dead in California long before Fukushima. See Rancho Seco, which spelled doom for the industry. No one is building new nukes in California, and we don't really need to do it either. Heck, we've been down SONGS for a while now without much of an impact. I doubt Diablo Canyon will be online for a full license extension either.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Trabisnikof posted:

Nuclear has been dead in California long before Fukushima. See Rancho Seco, which spelled doom for the industry. No one is building new nukes in California, and we don't really need to do it either. Heck, we've been down SONGS for a while now without much of an impact. I doubt Diablo Canyon will be online for a full license extension either.

San Onofre and Diablo Canyon are done, the costs outweigh the benefits as someone who works in seismic/nuclear. Big reactors like those need water, and the whole coast is lined with faults. Modular reactors/air-cooled heat exchange for the working fluids might change whether the future looks good for nuclear in CA but being blessed with wind, sun, and ocean power options really makes nuclear less likely in the short term.

In other news I lived in the bay area 2 years before being transferred, I assume if I return with a middle class job I will never be able to own a house or condo within an hour's BART trip of SF? Or is the 10% growth in housing a year slowing down anytime soon?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You could come live in southern Richmond if you want to play a long game of likely property appreciation and gentrification.

e: Richmond the city, that is.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blindeye posted:

San Onofre and Diablo Canyon are done, the costs outweigh the benefits as someone who works in seismic/nuclear. Big reactors like those need water, and the whole coast is lined with faults. Modular reactors/air-cooled heat exchange for the working fluids might change whether the future looks good for nuclear in CA but being blessed with wind, sun, and ocean power options really makes nuclear less likely in the short term.

In other news I lived in the bay area 2 years before being transferred, I assume if I return with a middle class job I will never be able to own a house or condo within an hour's BART trip of SF? Or is the 10% growth in housing a year slowing down anytime soon?

You can still get housing in the inner Bay Area, you just need to be willing to put up with terrible neighborhoods. My friend got a 2-bedroom house in West Oakland during the downturn for $99k and has since turned it into a very nice 3-bedroom that gets broken into more than most people would like.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone interested in the intersection of nuclear projects, geology, and politics should read The Atom and the Fault by Richard L. Meehan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Don't listen to the other people. BART from Concord to downtown SF is 45 minutes. If you're willing to go a full hour, Pittsburgh/Bay Point is within reach. These are hotter and dryer than on the other side of the oakland hills, but they're a lot more affordable, and they're nowhere near as rapey/murderey as Richmond.

Of course it depends on how much income you actually mean by "a middle class job" but I have what I consider a middle class job, my wife is an artist (lol) and we afforded a house in Concord without stretching.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So I'm heading to LA for 4 nights, SF for 5 nights, than 5 nights in Vegas for my honeymoon starting on the 1st of March.

We've got all the accommodation and flights booked, now just trying to fill in the days.

If I'm staying in motel in North Hollywood, would I reasonably be able to get to places like Disney World and Universal in Anaheim on public transport or am I better off hiring a car?

Also, any suggestions in for what to do general would be great, I've looked through the thread but there doesn't seem to be much but about where not to go.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rudager posted:

So I'm heading to LA for 4 nights, SF for 5 nights, than 5 nights in Vegas for my honeymoon starting on the 1st of March.

We've got all the accommodation and flights booked, now just trying to fill in the days.

If I'm staying in motel in North Hollywood, would I reasonably be able to get to places like Disney World and Universal in Anaheim on public transport or am I better off hiring a car?

Also, any suggestions in for what to do general would be great, I've looked through the thread but there doesn't seem to be much but about where not to go.

For Los Angeles:

Here is the thread for you.

Real talk though, hit up Griffith Observatory, it owns bones.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Rudager posted:

Santa Monica Promenade and beach if youve never been there. Short-medium drive north to see Malibu (Malibu is long). (VERY) short drive south for Venice and Marina Del Rey.

Sant Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park (thats two places) 1-3 hours south depending on traffic. (All time in LA is "depending on traffic".)

In LA... GET A CAR. On the upside car rentals in LA are very cheap on a lucky week. Try hotwire for cross-comparison of rates then once you get to the place press them for AAA discounts or whatever you can come up with. Ive seen LA car rental rates down to 1/4 of some parts of the rest of the State.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rudager posted:

For SF, your trip may coincide perfectly with After Dark at the Exploratorium. Basically you get to check out the Exploratorium at night with other adults and drink. They recently moved and I haven't been to the new location but it should be a blast. There's a pretty good penny arcade museum, lots of good bars (if you're into that), and lots of shopping you can do. I would recommend not getting a car for SF. Public transit is great here and there's things like Bike Share and taxis galore.

5 nights will be more than sufficient so you might want to rent a car for a day or two and travel up the coast and do some wine touring in Sonoma (or Napa but gently caress Napa).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
If it happens to be sunny and clear in SF while you're here then get outdoors:
- Marin Headlands (you can bike, take the 76X Muni bus, or drive) - there are some cool bunkers to explore and interesting views of the city (compared to the usual photos)
- Bike along the Embarcadero from the Ferry Building to the Golden Gate Bridge
- Twin Peaks - views
- Angel Island - hiking and 360-degree views
- Check out Dolores Park just to people-watch a little - explore the neighborhood

Try to find some of the funkier, subject-specific city tours -- like architecture, music, pubs, beers, tacos, etc.
Don't spend too much time in Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, just get in and out.

I personally haven't felt like the Exploratorium and Academy of Science are worthwhile for tourists who come from other large cities that have similar science museums. If you've never seen a place like it then, sure, check it out. But if you're an adult and your city has something like it then skip it (except for the night-life events, those can be fun). I feel the same about art museums too though, so consider your own interests.

Get an al pastor burrito from Taqueria Cancun.
Try to eat at Burma Superstar, but be prepared to wait (put your name/phone down earlier and get a few drinks at the Plough and Stars)

People like Bi-Rite ice cream, Humphry Slocombe ice cream, Tartine Bakery, Philz Coffee, Ritual Coffee, Four Barrel coffee, and Blue Bottle coffee. IMO these are all pretty good, but overrated. If you're near any of them and there is no line, then check them out, but don't go out of your way.

In general, be prepared to stand in line for coffee, ice cream, and restaurants. Also many of these places won't be worth the line, so plan accordingly.

Yelp is pretty well-used in SF, and, while full of terrible opinions, is still good enough to get a sense of the place.

• Locked thread