Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dolphin posted:

The Heritage is run by old Gibson employees that refused to move to Nashville and they still build their guitars in the original Gibson factory in Kalamazoo Michigan. Much better than Gibson, and much cheaper.

i dunno, heritage charges about as much as gibson does these days, though they are nice

edwards (esp) is probably the best current non-gibson lp maker. even with shipping/customs and poo poo from japan they're still about half the price of a new gibson. and they come with good stock pickups and a less doofy headstock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

his guitars would be awful in any other band, but they fit in with orgy's ridiculous over the top image perfectly

shame that they only made two good albums and then the lead singer fired the band

When I was 16 I was lucky enough to own a Roland 707 during that industrial metal phase of music. I sold it to some guy in LA who sent me an autographed orgy poster. I didn't make the connection it was Amir till I saw an interview saying in early 2002 he was buying up all the Roland guitars so he could put the electronics into those Jacksons since they couldn't do it themselves.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Bolek posted:

i bought a cheap used prs knockoff Jay Turser and i don't have any problems reaching the higher frets. it's actually one of the best guitars ive ever played, barring the cheapish nut and pots

Cheap guitars are fine and can even be awesome. Most people just need to practice. I went to a guitar clinic a while back and zakk wylde was talking and signing autographs. This kid walks up with a squier strat for him to sign and some spergs made a comment about squier. The kid heard it and zakk heard it and was like "something wrong with squier??" and he plugged the kid's guitar into a little 10 watt marshall and played the devil out of it. He gave a play what you got, equipment doesn't matter speech and it was something i wish i had heard back when i first started playing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Every time I almost write Zakk Wylde off as a ridiculous cartoon redneck biker version of his former self again I hear about him doing something kick rear end like that and just decide to keep liking the hell out of him.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

jesus if you think vai is a boring shredder you should hear zakk wylde

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
http://www.basslab.de/pics/instruments/std/basslab_std-v_fl_blue_td.jpg

My buddy told me this so not sure it's true but sounds legit enough. Apparently the actor Harry Shearer was browsing shops for guitars that were gonna be used in "This is Spinal Tap" and found a double necked bass. He asked the shop assistant what the point of the other neck was and was told "it doesn't really do anything". He immediately bought it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bolek posted:

jesus if you think vai is a boring shredder you should hear zakk wylde

mr. wielandt at least had the occasional half-decent song to play endless pentatonic scales and pinch harmonics over

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Fucknag posted:

Some guitars have entirely too many loving strings. Korn started it with the loving 7 strings (because when you're in drop A it's important to still hit dem high notes right guys?)

um..Vai started the low A bit

Also, Haji's Kitchen loving rocked them things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1iar54Nkl8

also, pretty much by BC Rich is ugly

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

GreatGreen posted:

Every time I almost write Zakk Wylde off as a ridiculous cartoon redneck biker version of his former self again I hear about him doing something kick rear end like that and just decide to keep liking the hell out of him.

that's not an improper description of zakk wylde. He's basically the duck dynasty of the metal world. has been since 1989 when his country roots crept into his playing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol you develop serious country roots as a jew from the new jersey suburbs

Bolek
May 1, 2003

country is a state of mind ... brother

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Photex posted:

When I was 16 I was lucky enough to own a Roland 707 during that industrial metal phase of music. I sold it to some guy in LA who sent me an autographed orgy poster. I didn't make the connection it was Amir till I saw an interview saying in early 2002 he was buying up all the Roland guitars so he could put the electronics into those Jacksons since they couldn't do it themselves.

that poor g707 :qq:

i will own one of those stupid things someday

rio
Mar 20, 2008

FrankenVader posted:

um..Vai started the low A bit

Actually George Van Eps invented the 7 string with a low A in the late 30's and was a lot better at it than Vai or the guy from Korn or probably anyone else for that matter.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

rio posted:

Actually George Van Eps invented the 7 string with a low A in the late 30's and was a lot better at it than Vai or the guy from Korn or probably anyone else for that matter.

i just heard his rocking jams in the elevator on my way up to 3 olives condo iirc

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

lol you develop serious country roots as a jew from the new jersey suburbs

the term you're looking for is 'drat yankee'

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cannot Find Server posted:

that poor g707 :qq:

i will own one of those stupid things someday

Don't. I owned one. It was a piece of poo poo. If you want to play one of the old 24 pin Roland synths just get a GK-1 and attach it to literally anything (a brick, a loaf of bread, a sea anemone, etc.) and it will be better than the G707. I got rid of the G707 and GR700 that I owned because it was so disappointing. Then a friend gave me a GK1 and GR700 and it's actually pretty drat rad hooked up through my beater Telecaster.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 31, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Handen posted:

Don't. I owned one. It was a piece of poo poo. If you want to play one of the old 24 pin Roland synths just get a GK-1 and attach it to literally anything (a brick, a loaf of bread, a sea anemone, etc.) and it will be better than the G707. I got rid of the G707 and GR700 that I owned because it was so disappointing. Then a friend gave me a GK1 and GR700 and it's actually pretty drat rad hooked up through my beater Telecaster.

really? what was so disappointing about it? the only complaint i ever hear about the g707 is that it lacks a hex fuzz circuit, which can be modded in relatively easily.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
hey thread what's your stance on Airline guitars. Fugly? y/n

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

If you want to really dig deep into the low tunings, you have to also address Huddie William Ledbetter, who played guitar in prison and tuned way down to C so he wouldn't break strings. It was hard to replace strings in prison. He wrote a song that moved the governor so much that he was released from prison before his sentence was up.

If you want to talk about who made low tunings popular, you have to address the amazing detunings of King's X.

If you want to talk about 7-string guitars, then you have to acknowledge that Steve Vai, in conjunction with Ibanez, put them on the radio when he joined Whitesnake at about the same time his first solo album since Flex-able came out; and sold lots of copies of those albums before it was a "thing" to have 7 strings. We heard them long before we ever saw one.

They both featured Ibanez Universe 7-strings. The low bass string was a low B, not an A. The A note was Korn's way of aping King's X's low D. A fifth instead of a fourth, for easy power chords. That was King's X's thing, and they did it so much better.

I dunno about you, but I kinda like Korn now because they learned to sing and write songs. But back in they day all you could hear on a Korn album was clicking sounds and the cookie monster.

I think my favorite use of the 7-string is on Passion and Warfare, in the song called, "The Riddle." It has tons of low-B on it and it's as Lydian as Lydian can be. Great use of tension in that sharp 7 on this song, and also great use of the low B note.

This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMvFjCjs2M

I'll just throw that our there, and for anyone who says the man has no soul, I give you two simple examples:
One is a eulogy for a friend, and one is a blues-ish take on Eric Johnson territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3QzbKwcWNE < Call It Sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYtJZAn7by4 < Tender Surrender

If you don't like these, I am sincerely sorry.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Fair Hallion posted:

I would buy them. Of course, the first electric guitar I ever wanted to buy was an epiphone les paul custom in cream with gold hardware and triple humbuckers so I am probably not the person to go to on "good looking guitars."

And I still want a fender jaguar in seafoam green.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Fair Hallion posted:

If you're twelve years old, and your band is playing the junior high talent show, and it's 1987, those are awesome.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
that last one looks p cool idk

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i like airline guitars, they look like they're wearing suits

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
it would be HELLA rad to own as a 12 yr old ill definitely give you that though

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
*Yeah, I didn't mean that negatively. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen on a date with first or third one.

And maybe the second, if I was a little drunk.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Fonzarelli posted:

i like airline guitars, they look like they're wearing suits

s'funny you say that, there's one called the Airline Tuxedo

[it's slightly less weird lookin though)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

it would be HELLA rad to own as a 12 yr old ill definitely give you that though

that would be some next-level swag for a little kid

it's either that or a middle aged dork still slumming in his rockabilly band that even the girls in the roller derby league think is a little sad

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

ZombieParts posted:

Cheap guitars are fine and can even be awesome. Most people just need to practice. I went to a guitar clinic a while back and zakk wylde was talking and signing autographs. This kid walks up with a squier strat for him to sign and some spergs made a comment about squier. The kid heard it and zakk heard it and was like "something wrong with squier??" and he plugged the kid's guitar into a little 10 watt marshall and played the devil out of it. He gave a play what you got, equipment doesn't matter speech and it was something i wish i had heard back when i first started playing.

Yeah, this pretty much. I didn't figure it out until I was like 18 after I'd had my mid-level Jackson for a year and assumed I was playing better because of it, and then picked up my Squier one day and was able to play the poo poo out of it.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

thelightguy posted:

I would buy them. Of course, the first electric guitar I ever wanted to buy was an epiphone les paul custom in cream with gold hardware and triple humbuckers so I am probably not the person to go to on "good looking guitars."

And I still want a fender jaguar in seafoam green.

don't get that gold hardware on an epiphone..poo poo rubs off

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah, this pretty much. I didn't figure it out until I was like 18 after I'd had my mid-level Jackson for a year and assumed I was playing better because of it, and then picked up my Squier one day and was able to play the poo poo out of it.

I wasn't collecting multiple instruments like some of these guys but I would get in a rut with my playing and convince myself I just needed new gear when all i really needed was to branch out my practice a little.

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 31, 2013

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you want to really dig deep into the low tunings, you have to also address Huddie William Ledbetter, who played guitar in prison and tuned way down to C so he wouldn't break strings. It was hard to replace strings in prison. He wrote a song that moved the governor so much that he was released from prison before his sentence was up.

If you want to talk about who made low tunings popular, you have to address the amazing detunings of King's X.

If you want to talk about 7-string guitars, then you have to acknowledge that Steve Vai, in conjunction with Ibanez, put them on the radio when he joined Whitesnake at about the same time his first solo album since Flex-able came out; and sold lots of copies of those albums before it was a "thing" to have 7 strings. We heard them long before we ever saw one.

They both featured Ibanez Universe 7-strings. The low bass string was a low B, not an A. The A note was Korn's way of aping King's X's low D. A fifth instead of a fourth, for easy power chords. That was King's X's thing, and they did it so much better.

I dunno about you, but I kinda like Korn now because they learned to sing and write songs. But back in they day all you could hear on a Korn album was clicking sounds and the cookie monster.

I think my favorite use of the 7-string is on Passion and Warfare, in the song called, "The Riddle." It has tons of low-B on it and it's as Lydian as Lydian can be. Great use of tension in that sharp 7 on this song, and also great use of the low B note.

This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMvFjCjs2M

I'll just throw that our there, and for anyone who says the man has no soul, I give you two simple examples:
One is a eulogy for a friend, and one is a blues-ish take on Eric Johnson territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3QzbKwcWNE < Call It Sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYtJZAn7by4 < Tender Surrender

If you don't like these, I am sincerely sorry.

thanks for the history lesson uncle faustus

also if thats vai at his best and most soulful well thanks for cementing how much i hate him

boy sure sucks that my friend died i know ill wank around for 10 minutes in his honor [skip to 2:30 for a tender moment btween vai and the dearly departed]

also "they learned to sing and write songs" has to be the absolute lowest loving bar for liking a band ive ever heard in my life

u could say the same of like 90% of high school bands

u have such high standards... and such low standards

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 31, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
kind of an odd history lesson considering a) nobody except guitar for the practicing musician subscribers have ever heard of king's ex and b) blue cheer, led zeppelin, black sabbath, van halen, etc.

but i guess if you're the kind of person who can stand to listen to more than a minute of steve vai and have zero frame of reference it makes sense

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I know of Kings X because I was a teen in the late 80s and watched Headbanger's Ball. I still like a few of thier songs from back then but their newer stuff doesn't really grab me.

Speaking of the 80s, remember Gorky Park?

Also, spend your day here http://www.vintagekramer.com/

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

King's X was kind of a big thing when I was a kid bc they were from my hometown. My brothers rode dirt bikes with Ty Tabor, his kid went to the same school as me, musicians I played with worked in studios with Doug Pinnick and I think about everyone who goes on and on about how great Kings X is are really trying to justify their boring aging 80s rock tastes.

I briefly played in a cover band for fun and the lead guitarist would sometimes bust out a hello kitty stratocaster on stage and melt faces with wanky rear end guitar solos and whip his ponytail around. Does the ponytail add to a wanky guitar solo's power?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

can't forget this classic!

also this

Goobish fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 31, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Oh god, what? No!

Two guitar shapes that should never be combined.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
so i just found out ibanez put up all their old catalogs, which is a great resource for finding ugly guitars to post. anyway going through them i realized this thread has a perfect mascot (other than poster emeritus and our muse dr faustus): mr. frank gambale

frank gambale is according to the copy in one of the catalogs a "distinguished jazz guitarist and sweep-picking virtuoso", which i guess meant something in the dark ages of guitar playing, unlike today where every 14 year old kid can bust out more sweeps than a janitorial staffing service, but none of them know how to write a memorable riff

during his endorsement deal with ibanez, his appearance in their catalogs chronicles the sudden rise and prolonged, increasingly bizzarely-dressed fall of one seriously weird looking dude and his ugly guitar, as he's gradually pushed further and further back while young upstarts like the korn guys, some dude from offspring, dino cazares, and even giz butt from the prodigy get higher billing as the 90s wear on

1989:

1990:

1991:

1992:

note: apparently mr. gambale has taken to shopping from the mckids collection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlXIWhJ6gA

1993:

1994:

as frank takes a backseat to the guitar ibanez desperately tries to peddle to the five remaining people who even know who this guy is and haven't already bought his signature axe, we note a special friend makes an appearance in part of the same photo:

that's right. none other than our friend, mr. bassface himself john patitucci

1997:

1998:

big changes in 98 for ol' frankie. he finally allowed his mom to cut his hair after she'd been nagging him for ages that he'd never find a nice girl looking like a drowned rat. apparently he also had a disco ball surgically attached to his knees. perhaps from a freak sweep-arpeggio accident?

and finally we come to 1999, when gambale's endorsement ran out and his last appearance in the vaunted ibanez catalog, almost as an aside. a tiny photo tucked in the corner of page 10, alongside guys from such well-remembered bands like pitchshifter and reel big fish

thanks for taking a trip down memory lane with photos of some goober's lovely haircut. here's another page of totally rad guitars from the ibanez usa custom shop, which seemed to have been painted by the design team that makes those shirts with the wolves and unicorns and wizards dunking flaming basketballs

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Goobish posted:

can't forget this classic!

also this

that's the kind of motherfucker you just can't believe put his picture online seriously and yet..there it is

i wonder what he's doing now?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dirt posted:

This is my "ugly" guitar. Most people think "Antigua" finish is ugly.

i think its awesome, so does my cat

Reminds me of the 1970s:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ZombieParts posted:

that's the kind of motherfucker you just can't believe put his picture online seriously and yet..there it is

i wonder what he's doing now?

Probably posting in TFR, that's micromancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also those old ibanez catalogues are fuckin hilarious, thanks for posting them.

• Locked thread