Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kenny Rogers posted:

I live in Denver, a city where the next closest similarly large city is 825 km away. The last time I took a road trip was 12 years ago. If I have to leave the Metro area, I fly.
Conversely, I spend 390 hours per year commuting back and forth to work.
ergo: There is no speed that I can go that will get me to my destination any faster than the speed limit, because, at best, it'll save me 2 minutes.
I'm not sure how on earth you came to the conclusion that my circumstances and experience apply as a global rule?
You are right that others mistakenly thought you were talking about everyone.

However, given how many hours you spend commuting, it could be said that you would benefit from speeding due to the fact that that large amount of time can be meaningfully changed by a small percentage change. 390 * 1% = 39 hours you could save per year. That's a work week. It might be 2 minutes a day, but add that up over a career and you start to see where moments of your life can evaporate unnoticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/4263925699.html

On my phone so I won't risk trying for a screenshot/paste

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KoRMaK posted:

You are right that others mistakenly thought you were talking about everyone.

However, given how many hours you spend commuting, it could be said that you would benefit from speeding due to the fact that that large amount of time can be meaningfully changed by a small percentage change. 390 * 1% = 39 hours you could save per year. That's a work week. It might be 2 minutes a day, but add that up over a career and you start to see where moments of your life can evaporate unnoticed.

There used to be a broken light on my way home that I would sit at for two minutes every day. Long enough to figure out how many hours of my life I wasted there. Just sitting. Looking at that red.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/4263925699.html

On my phone so I won't risk trying for a screenshot/paste

I'd rock it for the price. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wouldn't, you can find completely unmolested examples for $1k needing a few sensors or a fuel pump.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

I wouldn't, you can find completely unmolested examples for $1k needing a few sensors or a fuel pump.

Word, cars like that are like Thai hookers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

Find one in the Phoenix area and I'll buy it this week. I need an occasional driver / trackbike tow vehicle and an XJ sounds cooler than a Protege5. Bonus points if it's that loving AWESOME light blue/greenish color.
edit: This color. I love this color.

Rob Ford posted:

You mean like how the ladyboys come up to you when you walk past the shops with 5 of them sitting out front waving laminated sheets with prices in DT BKK? Yeah, I seen that for real.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 30, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't really follow F1 but this probably counts as a bad thing.

Micheal Schumacher hit his head on a rock while skiing and is reportedly all hosed up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/29/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher-skiing-f1-motorsport/

poo poo, and they say motorsport is dangerous! And he was wearing a helmet, too...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rob Ford posted:

I don't get it. They... have more balls than you expect?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't get it. They... have more balls than you expect?

Depending on how thorough the PO was, there might be a surprise under the hood, or a surprise. Also depends on your outlook I suppose.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A salty mixture leads to a rusty hole?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

jamal posted:

Maybe the guy with the BMW-badged accord got a new car?

That's a 2008 Honda Fit BMW 128i and I'll have you know it is the finest automobile ever produced. I have one, and I love it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rob Ford posted:

Yeah, they get kinda limp and floppy if you cut the top off, and tend to smell bad after being parked outside that way for a few weeks, too.

BlackMK4, I've seen a few in decent shape go for the $1k price range on the NAXJA Arizona Chapter classifieds. Here's a Comanche you might be able to pick up for around that, probably closer to 1500 if I had to guess: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1095705

Here's a 4.0 4x4 5 speed '95 for $1600 asking, some guy who can't spell thinks it's a ripoff and it may need door hinge weld repair, lowball the fucker for 900: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4243565075.html (best year of the old body style, sadly not the paint color you want, which is called Glamour Turquoise)

If you want a fullsize pimpmobile, here's a '77 for 700 needing a few parts: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4245741163.html

I could go on but this isn't the craigslist thread... they are out there though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

red19fire posted:

That's a 2008 Honda Fit BMW 128i and I'll have you know it is the finest automobile ever produced. I have one, and I love it.

:hfive: 2008 Honda Fit buddy. It's so good I'm not going to cover it in BMW regalia. Not that I would have anyway and I'm still going to buy an e39 M5 as soon as I'm able

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
I saw a guy unloading some stuff from his PT Cruiser. As he was about to stand up, the hatch fell down and hit him right on top of the head. It looked like it hurt, but my initial thought was: serves you right for owning a PT Cruiser.

I had a Isuzu Rodeo and I swear every time I open the glass, it would fall and hit me in the head, so I know hoe he feels.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Whenever I work on my BMW, the wind blows the hood shut and it hits me in the head. Every. Time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm temporarily driving a Lexus with trunk struts that are on the way out and every time I unload groceries in my driveway it's a race to grab each bag before I have to reach up and shove the trunk lid back up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Blood Magnet posted:

I saw a guy unloading some stuff from his PT Cruiser. As he was about to stand up, the hatch fell down and hit him right on top of the head. It looked like it hurt, but my initial thought was: serves you right for owning a PT Cruiser.

I had a Isuzu Rodeo and I swear every time I open the glass, it would fall and hit me in the head, so I know hoe he feels.

I used to keep a set of vise grips in my trunk preset to the right grip for my hatch struts. I worried about marring the surface at first but then realized they were ruined already and ripping the seals up wasn't going to make them any worse.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Galler posted:

:hfive: 2008 Honda Fit buddy. It's so good I'm not going to cover it in BMW regalia. Not that I would have anyway and I'm still going to buy an e39 M5 as soon as I'm able

:hfive: How many AI dudes own a 2008 Honda Fit?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
trunk struts are cheap and easy to replace....why cant you guys just replace them....its like thirty bucks at the most with tax.....:argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

trunk struts are cheap and easy to replace....why cant you guys just replace them....its like thirty bucks at the most with tax.....:argh:

:v: I haven't been able to find suitable trunk struts for my Audi, even the ones they recommend won't hold the trunk open

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

Mostly because I forgot to put them on my rockauto order for like 3 orders in a row. You know how sometimes you'll put an order in, then walk out to the car and remember another thing you needed, now that it's too late? That was me, for like 8 months straight.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Delivery McGee posted:

My driver's ed teacher told a story of a past student, back in the days before automatic transmissions had safeties built in, who had a stuck throttle or something that required shifting into neutral while at highway speed. The student missed N and went all the way to P. But hey, it stopped the car!

I know this is five pages back, but I've been away for two months and have been catching up.

I am now known as "two neutrals" because of this. Let's just say this: The fastest car in the world is somebody else's job-provided rental.

Beat it like it's a rental? Beat it like it's NOT YOUR rental? Beat it like it's NOT YOUR rental that SOMEONE ELSE's corporation is paying for! Do not dare me to do stuff that I've always wanted to do.

2013 Chrysler 300. It will get into park at 30mph. There is a ratchet in "R" that sounds GOD AWFUL. The kerthwang of the parking pawl coming off at speed sounds sedate in comparison.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

Mostly because I forgot to put them on my rockauto order for like 3 orders in a row. You know how sometimes you'll put an order in, then walk out to the car and remember another thing you needed, now that it's too late? That was me, for like 8 months straight.

Same exact problem, and my E34 has that odd reverse hood hinged at the front, so its like a giant sail.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

c355n4 posted:

my 2009 is probably totaled after an accident. Was a great little car, moved apartments a few times in it no prob.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

c355n4 posted:

I had one until a lady new to the area pulled left turn'd me. :( Still probably my favorite car I've owned. I was not impressed with the second gen Fits, though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I understand but this is the only thing that most pepboys have in stock and are not complete poo poo. plus pepboy struts are also really cheap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I know this is five pages back, but I've been away for two months and have been catching up.

I am now known as "two neutrals" because of this. Let's just say this: The fastest car in the world is somebody else's job-provided rental.

Beat it like it's a rental? Beat it like it's NOT YOUR rental? Beat it like it's NOT YOUR rental that SOMEONE ELSE's corporation is paying for! Do not dare me to do stuff that I've always wanted to do.

2013 Chrysler 300. It will get into park at 30mph. There is a ratchet in "R" that sounds GOD AWFUL. The kerthwang of the parking pawl coming off at speed sounds sedate in comparison.

I beat my daily driver harder than most people will beat someone else's job provided rental. I've never slapped it into park at speed because I don't want to die or kill it that badly, but I have neutral dropped it repeatedly into first and reverse (alternating) from the rev limiter to get unstuck because I was pissed off and had no one around to pull my rear end out.

I could smell the clutches and transmission fluid burning by the time I got it unstuck. And it makes some nasty rasping noises from the bellhousing.

I've put like 20k miles on it since then, no problems :smug: AW4/A340H/E supremacy. Thought I killed it last week but it turned out it was just cranky due to being 1.5 quarts low on fluid.

People have run these transmissions with WATER for fluid... dirty stream water... because they blew a line in the woods and had nothing else on hand and had to get home. An hour or more driving on the highway. And then pumped the water out and filled them back up with ATF and continued running the same tranny for another few years.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

I stole a strut from work that was an exact replacement. It was extremely stiff so I only needed one.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I saw this guy a few days ago on my way to lunch. After the light he proceeded to tailgate the pickup in a 30 mph zone, then when the pickup turned, went off at 40 mph right in front of a school (20 mph limit). His Hyundai Original Civic Accent Bella IS100 also did not sound at all healthy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I saw this guy a few days ago on my way to lunch. After the light he proceeded to tailgate the pickup in a 30 mph zone, then when the pickup turned, went off at 40 mph right in front of a school (20 mph limit). His Hyundai Original Civic Accent Bella IS100 also did not sound at all healthy.

An rear end in a top hat behind the wheel in Massachusetts? Surely you jest.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Blood Magnet posted:

My wife's co-worker's husband has a PT cruiser convertible that he is so protective of that he won't let his wife drive it.

Recently, he went out of town for business and he intentionally parked it at the airport so that she couldn't drive it.

She has cancer btw.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He's doing her a favor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

My wife's co-worker's husband has a PT cruiser convertible that he is so protective of that he won't let his wife drive it.

Recently, he went out of town for business and he intentionally parked it at the airport so that she couldn't drive it.

She has cancer btw.

Someone needs to sneak into the airport and leave him a molten pile of scrap.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SouthsideSaint posted:

The rear hatch strut on my old aerostar sheared right out of its mounting hole and took a chunk of the sheetmetal on the D-pillar with it. I don't think I was abusing it or anything either, the strut was just made of stronger material than the chassis of the van.:911:

I just kept a broomhandle in the back to prop the hatch up afterwards.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 31, 2013

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
I don't know... this thread getting pretty funny near the end:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-sports/677377-reliable-hp-level-track-car-questions-3.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The rear hatch strut on my old aerostar sheared right out of its mounting hole and took a chunk of the sheetmetal on the D-pillar with it. I don't think I was abusing it or anything either, the strut was just made of stronger material than the chassis of the van.:911:

I just kept a broomhandle in the back to prop the hatch up afterwards.

yeah the first time my friend at pepboys did one it was an old Plymouth/dodge/Chrysler mini van. and the bolt that holds them in place snapped. I wish I had gotten a picture of the easy out he used because we could never believe it worked. It grabbed a hairs worth of metal and actually worked.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

Thank you for posting this; the lines of the 250 rider were absolutely beautiful and to watch him eat up the other riders in the corners was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SouthsideSaint posted:

Haha, that's rich.

Try replacing the rear hatch struts on a Citroën C5 wagon. They run horizontally inside the roof and are just barely strong enough to hold the hatch open when it's warm out, in the winter they're completely useless even when new.