Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Oldstench posted:

I guess my wife and I are the only people who despise Juliette and keep hoping she gets killed?

Are you up to date? She's gotten infinitely better in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Some Numbers posted:

Are you up to date? She's gotten infinitely better in season 3.

Yeah. We're waiting on the season to continue. She's still annoying as poo poo.

"What kind of Wessen are you?" ~oh poo poo stares all around~
"Who's M? Are you cheating on me and rubbing it in my face by asking me to monitor your email?" ~it's my mom you stupid idiot~

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Oldstench posted:

"Who's M? Are you cheating on me and rubbing it in my face by asking me to monitor your email?" ~it's my mom you stupid idiot~

Actually i think that was handled rather well, she saw the email, asked Nick about it, and he explained. It could easily have dragged on, but it didn't. I think she has gotten a lot better in season 3, and while she is still not great, they are doing a better job of giving her things to do.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Her response to the email is easily the most rational least TV woman sterotype response that could have possibly been done. She's vastly improved in S3 and she may be a bit too curious and open with the whole "ARE YOU WESEN!?" thing but she'll grow out of that hopefully.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Her response to the email is easily the most rational least TV woman sterotype response that could have possibly been done. She's vastly improved in S3 and she may be a bit too curious and open with the whole "ARE YOU WESEN!?" thing but she'll grow out of that hopefully.

Yeah, I really liked how they handled the email. Other shows might have gone with the manufactured-drama, 'OMG YOU'RE TOTALLY CHEATING ON ME YOU BASTARD! NO DON'T EXPLAIN I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!' bullshit but they had Nick actually explain and let her in on it instead.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

You're all correct about that. I just get super-annoyed at everything she does because S2 "stay out of your own house Nick while we spend 20 episodes on whether or not I'll remember you" was just painful to sit through.

And her name's Bitsie.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Oldstench posted:

You're all correct about that. I just get super-annoyed at everything she does because S2 "stay out of your own house Nick while we spend 20 episodes on whether or not I'll remember you" was just painful to sit through.

Yeah, the amnesia arc definitely dragged on for far longer then it should have.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

quote:

Juliette didn't act like an rear end in a top hat about the email.

I almost feel like that was a joke by the writers since every other show would have made that some kind of big deal instead of what we got.

"Oh, that's my dead mom."
"You're mom is alive?"
"Yeah, but with all of the other weirdness we've been dealing with, I didn't have time to mention it."
"That makes sense."

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Oldstench posted:

I guess my wife and I are the only people who despise Juliette and keep hoping she gets killed?

Nope, my wife and I have despised her since day one. I'm constantly making fun if her wandering/lazy eye. ("I'm gonna keep one eye on the situation from here...")

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 31, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I've always liked Juliet, but I hated the amnesia storyline. I don't think Nick staying with Monroe and giving her some space was a bad thing though.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The amnesia storyline was one that sounded good on paper (Hey, instead of just having Nick and Juliette be together, let's show them falling in love again) but dragged on and on without relief. Once Juliette got out of that swamp of a storyline, she became fun and interesting again, especially as part of the gang. The fact that she's now written as one of the least contrived and stereotypical women on television only adds to her charm.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm just concerned because the "next time, on Grimm" teaser for the upcoming show showed Juliette karate fighting some Wessen. I hope this doesn't become a thing for her. I'd rather her use her vet education to help solve Wessen issues because, you know, animal stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The show returns tonight.

3x09 – "Red Menace"
Captain Renard returns to Portland to help Nick and Hank search for a Wesen that targets prominent members of Portland's Russian community.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Oldstench posted:

Not at all! Can't wait for her to go. Amnesia whatever, that was objectively terrible, but she is static, dumb, and yes, that "deer in the headlights" whenever emotion needs to be shown is tiring. Not to mention, why, WHY? is the Mexican lady that knew of her affliction and Grimm and blah blah never brought back. She should be akin to Monroe and Roaslee for Wesen/weird info. You just got put in a coma because of a cat scratch, and no retribution, no "so what really happened? What is a hexenbeist?" but I am now a zombie-fighting strong character. Grrr. She is useless and bringing her back, in whatever redeemable way, is more tiresome than just letting someone off her. Besides, it would give Nick a reason to be more badass.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I feel like a "graar you killed my girlfriend and now I'm extra angry and dark all the time" plot would be hackneyed and tiresome.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Because having the protagonist's love interest die to fuel his vengeance isn't cliche at all...

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Was that one of the kitty cat men or is it some sort of otter wesen that we haven't seen before?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

a foolish pianist posted:

I feel like a "graar you killed my girlfriend and now I'm extra angry and dark all the time" plot would be hackneyed and tiresome.

That's because it would, in fact, be hackneyed and tiresome. I like that Nick is basically a nice guy whose job/calling requires him to occasionally do violence. I really do not need him to be a "vengeful seeker of vengeance who lives only for revenge." Especially since whatever replacement love interest he got would end up being a shrill, suspicious, cliche' harpy.

If Juliette is essentially just Bitsie Tulloch with a different name, I am completely fine with that. I enjoy her the same way I enjoy Jack Nicholson, who also pretty much just plays Jack Nicholson in every thing he does. I also enjoy that her character happily skips past the various bullshit melodrama conflicts that would plague other series, ie "Who is M and is Nick leaving me for her?!?"

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I was really happy they didn't kill Juliette off. I have thought she was a goner for sure since the first episode. I'm finally starting to feel like they're keeping her around. The show is demonstrating restraint in avoiding stereotypical tropes like 'kill the girlfriend for revenge motivation'.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 4, 2014

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ashez2ashes posted:

I was really happy they didn't kill Juliette off. I have thought she was a goner for sure since the first episode. I'm finally starting to feel like they're keeping her around. The show is demonstrating restraint in avoiding stereotypical tropes like 'kill the girlfriend for revenge motivation'.

Seriously. So many threads for shows like this wind up in vitriolic feminist debates over "women in refrigerators" because of that exact cliche. Grimm avoiding that kind of thing is one of its strongest suits.

In general, I'm a little surprised by Skyler-style Juliette bashing when I hear it, because she so seldom relies on the "nagging, irrational girlfriend" crutches used for plot content on other shows. She's actually a rational and intelligent character who behaves like a person.

Really, I'd like to see even more participation with Nick's duties as a Grimm. There was a point where her medical background as a vet entered into wesen plots; they could do that again. And it looks like next week will involve her fighting her friend's abusive wesen husband on her own. Which is interesting, because isn't this her first encounter with that world that actually has nothing to do with Nick?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Really surprised that Nick didn't say anything about who he is and/or have Monroe and Rosalee over for dinner with Juliet's friend.

The A plot kind of bored me.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Really surprised that Nick didn't say anything about who he is and/or have Monroe and Rosalee over for dinner with Juliet's friend.

The A plot kind of bored me.

I got the idea that Nick and Juliette have known this woman (and her rear end in a top hat husband) for years without knowing she was Wesen. Nick seemed thrown to find out (I'll put the room in the bags.") Plus he figured that revealing himself as someone who's normally known for killing people like her would've have added to her stress level.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
As much as I hate to admit knowing this <famous guy> was a Wesen is getting a little too deep into World of Darkness stupidity. Also having people Nick and Juliette incidentally knew just happen to be Wesen makes me wonder just how many people are normal humans. Just a couple of odd things, I guess.

However, Nick's jog was a nice callback to the first episode of the series.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ImpulseDrive posted:

As much as I hate to admit knowing this <famous guy> was a Wesen is getting a little too deep into World of Darkness stupidity. Also having people Nick and Juliette incidentally knew just happen to be Wesen makes me wonder just how many people are normal humans. Just a couple of odd things, I guess.
Yeah, they're overdoing those. Anyone with strong personality traits is a wesen. rear end in a top hat? Some predator. Coward? Some prey. I mean come on. Really?

Edit:

Has Nick ever messed up a human aside from during his bad trip?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 4, 2014

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I liked that episode. Had a lot of layers to do story compared to some of the more one-dimensional Wesen. So Juliette's girlfriend is a fox and her boyfriend is a badger? Crazy radioactive healer guy was crazy radioactive healer and wife was a boar. Rosalee and Monroe. There seems to be a lot of inter-species-Wesen-love going on of late.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ImpulseDrive posted:

It's a little odd, but I'm OK with Grimms being weirdness magnets. This show is basically Buffy with more politics and no Hellmouth McGuffin anyway.

Also there haven't been that many famous Wesen, have there? Hitler and Rasputin, who else?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's a little odd, but I'm OK with Grimms being weirdness magnets. This show is basically Buffy with more politics and no Hellmouth McGuffin anyway.

Also there haven't been that many famous Wesen, have there? Hitler and Rasputin, who else?

JFK

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm fine with them using Rasputin as a Wesen because the man himself still has that mystical sort of bent to his legend. Hitler was just a prick and JFK a sex addict, those aren't notable enough traits that you have to be inhuman to achieve them. Rasputin allegedly being unkillable and having a life so shrouded in mystery makes it all a little more palatable.

What isn't palatable is body horror. I was fine with Mr. Sandman and the exploding eyes, but radiation victims will never not get to me. All in all though, Red Menace didn't make me feel sympathy enough towards anyone that I cared how the episode ended.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

What isn't palatable is body horror. I was fine with Mr. Sandman and the exploding eyes, but radiation victims will never not get to me. All in all though, Red Menace didn't make me feel sympathy enough towards anyone that I cared how the episode ended.

Somebody working on this show really gets body horror and I love every squeamish second of it.:colbert:

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
I was OK with Hitler as a Wesen because it was tied into the Coin arc. It did a good job of showing what could happen to one if left under the influence of those things.

Beyond that, it's a slippery slope. So far, the show's suggested that Wesen are rare compared to humanity, and it'd be nice if it staid that way. Having more and more major historical figures outed as Wesen begins to border on the absurd.

If they'd remained human, the subplot with Juliette's friend and her abusive husband would've been a nice look at how Nick handled normal people with his Grimm powers after the zombie thing. It would've been just fine if the husband was normal and didn't know about his wife's Wesen side.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ImpulseDrive posted:

If they'd remained human, the subplot with Juliette's friend and her abusive husband would've been a nice look at how Nick handled normal people with his Grimm powers after the zombie thing. It would've been just fine if the husband was normal and didn't know about his wife's Wesen side.
I was actually looking forward to that but then welp, they're wesen. The writers seem afraid of having Nick hit normies.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

ImpulseDrive posted:

I'd agree with you, but judging by the previews, it seems to be more about Juliette dealing with Wesen on her own without Nick, which I am perfectly fine with. I figure that they'll eventually get around to Nick dealing with regular people sometime this season.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ImpulseDrive posted:

I was OK with Hitler as a Wesen because it was tied into the Coin arc. It did a good job of showing what could happen to one if left under the influence of those things.

Beyond that, it's a slippery slope. So far, the show's suggested that Wesen are rare compared to humanity, and it'd be nice if it staid that way. Having more and more major historical figures outed as Wesen begins to border on the absurd.

I don't know about that. The people we remember are the people who stand out, and many Wesen have abilities that most definitely make them stand out. As such, it makes sense that Wesen will be more common among famous people than they are in the general population. It's especially plausible that famous leaders could be Wesen, as we've seen several species of Wesen who have exceptional charisma.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How was the Russian in this episode? I'm always interested to learn how terrible/halfway decent Russian is in TV shows. Anyone sound half-way understandable?

Jedit posted:

I don't know about that. The people we remember are the people who stand out, and many Wesen have abilities that most definitely make them stand out. As such, it makes sense that Wesen will be more common among famous people than they are in the general population. It's especially plausible that famous leaders could be Wesen, as we've seen several species of Wesen who have exceptional charisma.

Especially if the royals are working behind the scenes to install those special kinds of Wesen into influential positions for their own benefit. Which they are.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

XboxPants posted:

How was the Russian in this episode? I'm always interested to learn how terrible/halfway decent Russian is in TV shows. Anyone sound half-way understandable?

Especially if the royals are working behind the scenes to install those special kinds of Wesen into influential positions for their own benefit. Which they are.

It looks like the guy who played the the Koschei was born in Russia, so I'm guessing his was pretty good. It looks like the lady who played his wife often plays Russian women, so I'm guessing she's also from Russia or fluent with no accent.
http://www.tvrage.com/Grimm/episodes/1065440720

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
Okay, I actually have a bone to pick with this episode. Someone is so incredibly horribly radioactive that the powers that be go all Silkwood but then the radioactive one is not in a special room in the hospital and nobody has to don any PPE?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Too bad Nick didn't grab the healing wesen's power. Then we would have had a super hearing, radioactive zombie Grimm. :v:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really liked this episode, i especially like the small tidbits about Nick's new condition.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

ETB posted:

Too bad Nick didn't grab the healing wesen's power. Then we would have had a super hearing, radioactive zombie Grimm. :v:

That is something I'm wondering. Do all Grimms have super absorbancy or is Nick special? I hope this gets explored more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Has he really absorbed any powers? The super hearing i understood as a latent Grimm thing that just surfaced. Everything else seems to come from his weird semi-undead state, at that seems to do with the zombie cure having a strange effect on him.

• Locked thread