Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Bad News Panda posted:

That's a funny way of spelling "Midori".

Seriously. Every line she had I turned down the sound on my DS because it's so gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, Yuzu's acting wasn't even that bad I thought. Midori's voice acting fit the character I guess but since her character is annoying as all hell that's not necessarily a good thing. :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How can you not like the Magical Warrior of Love?

Yeah, she was pretty annoying but that acting got her a position as Chie in P4G.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Midori lets you get the power of Black Frost later on in game, and she has some good Mag.

Midori is clearly too baller to leave behind. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The fact that everyone hates Midori's voice acting for being grating and irritating means they did a spot on job with her voice, just saying. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

How can you not like the Magical Warrior of Love?

Yeah, she was pretty annoying but that acting got her a position as Chie in P4G.

This is not a good thing, her Chie voice is literally her generic spunky girl voice. Erin Fitzgerald is a good VA, but I was expecting more from her voicing Chie and Midori was not helping things with her dumb voice.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Original PS2 Chie is superior Chie anyways.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Not only this, but original Teddie is better too.
Copycat Teddie sounds like his voice is gonna break.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well, this is promising.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New Chie is better, the original sounded way too old. :colbert:

I won't argue Teddie, though in all fairness most of the time you can't tell the difference.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dehry posted:

Well, this is promising.

Who are these people?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

Who are these people?

Joystiq managing editor

Atlus USA PR manager

Polygon features editor.

Either he's trolling, or he was meeting with a couple game journalists discussing Atlus products.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 4 Dancing All Night is their secret weapon, they can't reveal it for the west just yet.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Persona 4 Dancing All Night is their secret weapon, they can't reveal it for the west just yet.

I will pre-order this as soon as it is available. I'll buy whatever special edition they put out.
I must have this game no matter what.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

New Teddie's pretty indistinguishable from the old one, IMO. I like old Chie better on the sole prospect that she didn't make me want to destroy my hearing. She still sounds too old though, and :geno: aha is this our chance. :geno:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

New Teddie's pretty indistinguishable from the old one, IMO. I like old Chie better on the sole prospect that she didn't make me want to destroy my hearing. She still sounds too old though, and :geno: aha is this our chance. :geno:

New Teddie is trying very hard to sound like old Teddie but there's some kind of treble or.. warble or something in his voice that bothers me.
I can't find a good comparison on youtube for some reason, oh well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

New Teddie is trying very hard to sound like old Teddie but there's some kind of treble or.. warble or something in his voice that bothers me.
I can't find a good comparison on youtube for some reason, oh well.
i think that's just that it's coming from your vita speakers/headphones instead of your TV speakers

he sounds exactly the same in P4A to me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually think Sam Riegel's is fine and does his own thing, but whether or not it's because I know VAs well enough to tell the difference between Riegel and Wittenburg or not, Wittenburg's voice works better. It flows naturally and Wittenburg has enough experience doing goofy characters with high voices like Teddie he doesn't have trouble with it. Riegel does a good job too, but sometimes his voice will go a bit deeper on certain lines and you can tell he's steadily not being able to hold the voice as well since he doesn't have experience voicing these kind of characters.

On the subject of Chie, old Chie works better for me because it's a new kind of voice for a teenage character that even though it sounds older, it works. The problem with that voice is delivery and consistency, because it can be the best voice in the cast at times and the worst voice in the cast at other times. Meanwhile Erin Fitzgerald's voice is very much her normal spunky girl character, so she can hold it without losing consistent, unfortunately it's generic as hell.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I actually think Sam Riegel's is fine and does his own thing, but whether or not it's because I know VAs well enough to tell the difference between Riegel and Wittenburg or not, Wittenburg's voice works better. It flows naturally and Wittenburg has enough experience doing goofy characters with high voices like Teddie he doesn't have trouble with it. Riegel does a good job too, but sometimes his voice will go a bit deeper on certain lines and you can tell he's steadily not being able to hold the voice as well since he doesn't have experience voicing these kind of characters.

It's this, the comparison between doing it naturally and doing a good imitation that you can tell is taking effort. I can't explain it better than you did.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mokinokaro posted:

aha. is this our chance? :effort:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAefGu7EIOk

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That is awesome and you know it.

I'm just sick of Fitzgerald's voice. Old Chie had more character, warts and all. Old Teddie was definitely a bit better but Riegal does his best as an acceptable substitute.

It's not like she was Fuuka.

(New Chie was fine in Arena though. It's just her Golden performance that seems off in some way to me besides the speaker thing.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 31, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New Chie was great in the quiz segments.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

I will pre-order this as soon as it is available. I'll buy whatever special edition they put out.
I must have this game no matter what.

It combines ridiculous J-pop with rhythm games and ridiculous chracters.

It's my dream game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
New Chie is real rough early on (her "Trial of the Dragon" rendition is terrible), but she knocks it out of the park in the rest of the game, and then does so again in Arena and the animation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, New Chie gets much better after the intro.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Firebert posted:

New Chie is real rough early on (her "Trial of the Dragon" rendition is terrible), but she knocks it out of the park in the rest of the game, and then does so again in Arena and the animation.

Ah I don't own a Vita so I didn't have much experience with Golden.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Erin's rendition of Chie is the fault of the voice direction. She's far less grating and generic in the direction they had in the anime and basically makes the character her own. While Erin does hit the emotional notes better than old Chie, I much rather like something that doesn't sound like generic spunky anime girl #49. I guess you can get used to Erin's delivery in Golden and Arena, but it's just never the same. I just hope that they at least work on her direction for all these upcoming P4 games.

As for Sam Riegel, he's a great alternative, even if he isn't quite as solid as Wittenberg. It was all about the little details.

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why did they bother to make so many quality of life improvements to SMTIV and yet also take away the ability to reorder skills like in P4G?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New Chie is the better one, haters can :frogout:

Neither is as excellent as Fuuka though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0gGj5iATw

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Terper posted:

New Chie is best Chie, get out haters.

Fuuka is Wendee Lee in P4A. Your arguement is invalid.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Terper posted:

New Chie is the better one, haters can :frogout:

This is still infinitely more bearable than Rise.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Microcline posted:

This is still infinitely more bearable than Rise.

On the other hand, Rise is also the best version of The Boss so any arguments against her are invalid.

Unless you mean Rie Kugimiya, then yeah Rise's loving horrible.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The only good navigator is Nanako.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
What is the actual consensus on Persona 1? I know it's the lame duck of the series but, aside from some genuinely nice production value on the remake (and it being an excellent olive branch from Atlus to the faithful translation community), it's a sort of garbage game.

I'm storming the Castle in the Sebec route currently and I have no real idea how strong or weak my characters are. I'm about level 30, and it's a hell of a grind to get any higher. My party is doing pretty good damage, but most are downright poo poo unless using skills. Though, that's a bit of an SMT mainstay I think.

Also, the combat system is plain bonkers. The placement system seems fine on paper (and Megaman.Exe or whatever those games were called were supposedly fine and used a similar system) but most of the time I just have to eschew people to never physically attacking because their range is crap. Not that I'd ever really want Nanjo to attack physically anyway, but my point is it gives 'options' that seem pretty meaningless.

Overall, on my quest through the Persona series I'm sort of already hitting a wall. This game is a slog, and I don't know if I'll even replay to do the Snow Queen route. I love these games, I even love early SMT (Hi 2! You're great!) but god drat this game is everything that was bad about Quirky Ps1 games rolled into a pretty generic JRPG.

Thank god the rest of the series is good.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

laplace posted:

What is the actual consensus on Persona 1?

laplace posted:

it's a sort of garbage game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always thought Fuuka's voice was fine even if the delivery on the more emotionally demanding lines were off, the character never really gets too emotionally unstable for it to really matter. I found it pretty weird though that they just replace her VA with Wendee Lee in P4A, like could they not get a hold of Paual Tiso or did they decide to do something about the reaction to her voice? It's just weird to me that out all of the somewhat mixed reactions to certain voices, only Naoto's voice seemed to return and she actually had a better subsitute from the Persona 4 Anime (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is so loving waste in the original P4, dammit).

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Persona 1 is great, actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 1 is okay but it has some dumb-rear end design decisions, like just about everything having to do with how you level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also probably the worst final dungeon in MegaTen history, or at least of the games I've played. P1 is pretty bad.