Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Anybody else have a completely busted Kindle? My mother got one as a gift last Christmas, but after a couple of months, the screen froze and it wouldn't reset. She left it with me when she visited to see if I could get it working. I went through all the steps with the Amazon chat help people and they only tried to reset it, then sell me a refurbished one! The refurbished ones are barely discounted from normal price, and they don't even offer a repair option.

It's frozen like this:

The screen doesn't change if I try to hold the power button and reset, but if anyone has ideas I'd love to get it working for her. Otherwise I'll just buy her a Kobo when she moves back to Canada this spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Carbon Thief posted:

Anybody else have a completely busted Kindle? My mother got one as a gift last Christmas, but after a couple of months, the screen froze and it wouldn't reset. She left it with me when she visited to see if I could get it working. I went through all the steps with the Amazon chat help people and they only tried to reset it, then sell me a refurbished one! The refurbished ones are barely discounted from normal price, and they don't even offer a repair option.

It's frozen like this:

The screen doesn't change if I try to hold the power button and reset, but if anyone has ideas I'd love to get it working for her. Otherwise I'll just buy her a Kobo when she moves back to Canada this spring.

Er, so when exactly did it break? They have a year warranty on them, so she should called them for a warranty replacement back then, assming it was less than ayear after purchase.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Install Windows posted:

Er, so when exactly did it break? They have a year warranty on them, so she should called them for a warranty replacement back then, assming it was less than a year after purchase.

May or June, I think? She held on to it until she came home to Canada for a visit, thinking that my brother or I could fix it easily without returning it. Of course, it's now past the warranty. :doh:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Carbon Thief posted:

May or June, I think? She held on to it until she came home to Canada for a visit, thinking that my brother or I could fix it easily without returning it. Of course, it's now past the warranty. :doh:

Did you call them? Likely they'd do you a solid if it was only slightly out of warranty. Perhaps explain its been busted for months? In the past, other people have mentioned how they Kindle support was far more friendly and lenient over the phone.

Otherwise the basic Kindle is only $59 which is still rather cheap.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I'm just checking in to review a Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen) that I received for christmas.

Pros:

Light as heck
Much faster than other e-readers i've used

Cons:

I wish the visible screen was an inch larger diagonally
Battery life (even with wireless off) is quoted at like two weeks for 30 minutes of reading per day. I found this claim to be exaggerated.

Overall:

I love the thing, and it's motivated me to read 1000x more than I did before it. At the price they're asking, this thing is a steal if you like to read.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

1024x768 posted:

Light as heck

Just never pick up an old-school non-touch Kindle, since the Paperwhite is about an ounce heavier than that.

As for the battery life, I think it's worst when you first get it, due to downloading a relatively large amount, but obviously hard to judge.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

smackfu posted:

Just never pick up an old-school non-touch Kindle, since the Paperwhite is about an ounce heavier than that.

As for the battery life, I think it's worst when you first get it, due to downloading a relatively large amount, but obviously hard to judge.

When you first load it up with books, it spends indexes them all. If you stick a few hundred books on there, it munches the battery. When I got my Kindle Keyboard back in 2010 (good times), the battery sank like a stone. When indexing was done, I got the battery life I expected out of it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just dropping by to ask, is there a better manager app than Calibre yet? It looks so 1995, seems bloated in size, can't handle it's own updates, etc.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

1024x768 posted:

Battery life (even with wireless off) is quoted at like two weeks for 30 minutes of reading per day. I found this claim to be exaggerated.

Mine lasts loving forever. I charge it maybe once a month or something.

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Foxtrot_13 posted:

What are peoples thoughts between the Nook Simple Touch vs the Kobo Touch?

I got the Nook when it was discounted to £30 and now The Kobo is down to £30 as well.

Is the Kobo better than the Nook and if so is it worth the upgrade (I could sell the Nook for £20)

(I havn't bought any B&N books so i don't have any vendor lock in)

I had a Nook Simple Touch and was pleased with it.

I decided I wanted a frontlit screen, so I did some shopping around and decided on the Kobo Aura HD. I've never used the Kobo Touch, but I assume the software is similar to what's on the Aura. So far, after a few weeks of use, I like the Aura's interface better overall than I liked the Simple Touch's interface.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Carbon Thief posted:

The refurbished ones are barely discounted from normal price, and they don't even offer a repair option.

The lack of repair option really annoys me. I had a Kindle Keyboard with a broken screen and all they'd offer me was a small discount on a Kindle Touch. I don't want a Kindle Touch, I want a Kindle Keyboard. I get that they're not selling them any more so they can't offer me a new one, but I've since discovered that it's actually really easy to replace broken screens and you can either do it yourself or pay a third-party to repair it for you, but for some reason Amazon just won't do it at all.

Plus it ended up being cheaper to buy a second-hand Kindle Keyboard in perfect working condition from eBay than to buy a new Kindle Touch even with the discount. I'd be tempted to get a Paperwhite if they still had page turn buttons, but my sister has one and I've tried it out, and I hate not having those buttons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The lack of repair option really annoys me. I had a Kindle Keyboard with a broken screen and all they'd offer me was a small discount on a Kindle Touch. I don't want a Kindle Touch, I want a Kindle Keyboard. I get that they're not selling them any more so they can't offer me a new one, but I've since discovered that it's actually really easy to replace broken screens and you can either do it yourself or pay a third-party to repair it for you, but for some reason Amazon just won't do it at all.

Plus it ended up being cheaper to buy a second-hand Kindle Keyboard in perfect working condition from eBay than to buy a new Kindle Touch even with the discount. I'd be tempted to get a Paperwhite if they still had page turn buttons, but my sister has one and I've tried it out, and I hate not having those buttons.

Repair centers are expensive (I worked in 2 different cell phone repair shops) . You have to keep parts in Stock, keep employees trained on repairing them, and many a time the repair still doesn't work and you have to swap it anyway. Amazon probably won't do it because it's cheaper to just swap the device rather than run a nonprofit able support Center.

I am a fellow keyboard owner and I do dread the day I need a new one, I'm kind of in agreement on the buttons thing. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I like my keyboard so why bother?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Craptacular! posted:

Just dropping by to ask, is there a better manager app than Calibre yet? It looks so 1995, seems bloated in size, can't handle it's own updates, etc.
I have no idea, I just want to chime and whine about how bitchy they are on their facebook webpage if you complain about any of these problems. the developers are living in a serious echo chamber

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Guilty posted:

I have no idea, I just want to chime and whine about how bitchy they are on their facebook webpage if you complain about any of these problems. the developers are living in a serious echo chamber

Or maybe it's a hobby for them and they're tired of hearing about it, and don't feel like spending hundreds of hours on something that isn't a serious issue?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

No it's pretty much just Calibre. There are other ereading applications but nothing with the same feature set for library management and conversion. The lack of a built in updater is a source of major annoyance for its users and a running joke around here. Pretty much any time you run the thing it needs a 50MB redownload which is hilariously wasteful and silly even for a cross platform app.

Once you adjust to its...unique user interface though it's a great application and can't argue with the price.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ignore the minor updates and just get the major ones unless you are having problems with something. Updates usually come with a pretty good changelog so you can also look and see if anything in the update matters to you (nothing probably does).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
More than anything I guess I find it weird that it's a program that I have to install on my SSD. Both because the wait on the splash screen is surprisingly noticeable on a mechanical drive, but also the installer didn't ask me where I want it. Being an open-source non-Windows native program, I can probably move that folder with few problems though.

At this point, I'm just using it for Windows in a pinch, and otherwise sticking to OSX iBooks.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

the littlest prince posted:

Or maybe it's a hobby for them and they're tired of hearing about it, and don't feel like spending hundreds of hours on something that isn't a serious issue?

'hundreds of hours'

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Guilty posted:

'hundreds of hours'

Yes, it might be an over-estimation. It also might not be. Software takes a lot of time to write.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the software written by one dude?

I can't recall the name off hand, but when I had some trouble I went to the forums and they basically all said "Go talk to this guy".

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So the reason why my entire computer freezes up when calibre launches is it's doing some stupid background update/telegram to home base? That's retarded.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

edit: NM. I am a moron.

editedit: But I'm a moron with a question about Calibre. How do I get Calibre Companion to display white text on a black background?

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 5, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Has there been any new info regarding the possible new Paperwhite early this year?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Has there been any new info regarding the possible new Paperwhite early this year?

The original leak said Q2 so that could mean as late as June. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I managed to total the screen of Kindle 4 and now I'm wondering if I should be getting the Kobo HD or wait for the new Kindle. June seems too far. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just get a Paperwhite if you want to stay with Kindle.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's this about a new Paperwhite? My keyboard model died last week and I just bought a Paperwhite. Google is only bringing up leaks for what I presume is the current gen 2 model I have now, the one with goodreads and the vocabulary builder stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bummey posted:

What's this about a new Paperwhite? My keyboard model died last week and I just bought a Paperwhite. Google is only bringing up leaks for what I presume is the current gen 2 model I have now, the one with goodreads and the vocabulary builder stuff.

A while back there was a leak of a Paperwhite shaped a lot more like current Kindle Fire tablets, with some side buttons for page turns in addition to the onscreen controls, and possibly a physical home button. There was a rumored "Q2 2014" release date associated with it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Install Windows posted:

A while back there was a leak of a Paperwhite shaped a lot more like current Kindle Fire tablets, with some side buttons for page turns in addition to the onscreen controls, and possibly a physical home button. There was a rumored "Q2 2014" release date associated with it.

Well, sucks to be me. I've resisted buying new iphones (still using the 4) up until now, and won't until the 6 comes out, so I guess it was inevitable that I'd upgrade a Kindle at a mid-point in the hardware cycle. rip kindle keyboard

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bummey posted:

Well, sucks to be me. I've resisted buying new iphones (still using the 4) up until now, and won't until the 6 comes out, so I guess it was inevitable that I'd upgrade a Kindle at a mid-point in the hardware cycle. rip kindle keyboard

You can get keyboards on eBay for pretty cheap, if you really like the form factor/features.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That rumor was like everything anyone wants in a Kindle, and off their typical update timeline. I have serious doubts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

That rumor was like everything anyone wants in a Kindle, and off their typical update timeline. I have serious doubts.

End of Q2/beginning of Q3 was the time frame for the Kindle DX graphite release and the release of what we called the Kindle 3 then (and branded as Kindle Keyboard now).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You're really not going to be upset with a paper white you buy now. Unless you're obsessed with page turn buttons and the rumored device coming out is just a rumor.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Install Windows posted:

End of Q2/beginning of Q3 was the time frame for the Kindle DX graphite release and the release of what we called the Kindle 3 then (and branded as Kindle Keyboard now).

Sure but the last three years they have done the refresh in Sept/Oct. They could mix it up but I don't know why.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Someone just gave me a Kindle Fire HDX (7") as a gift. For years I've read only paperbacks, because they fit in my jacket and cargo pant pockets and can therefore go everywhere with me. The Kindle Fire fits quite nicely in my pockets, but things I put in there tend to get pretty beat up so I'd like to get a rugged case with some padding. All the local stores I checked today only carried generic or Nook 7" cases, and they're all just slightly too big to fit in my pockets. Can anyone recommend a good case that's small enough to fit in a pocket? Anything that's even half an inch wider than the 5.0" wide kindle is probably too big. I'm reluctant to buy one of Amazon's cases without being able to verify it will fit in my pocket first.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

LLSix posted:

Can anyone recommend a good case that's small enough to fit in a pocket?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/168137012/brown-leather-kindle-fire-hdhdx-7-sleeve

These are so nice it's unreal. A little pricy though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if Google Play Books will work on a rooted Nook Simple Touch? Mine's been gathering dust because, in an age of cloud storage services like Dropbox, I got real tired of having to take out the SD card to manually load it with new books.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon Thief posted:

It's frozen like this:

Try this out. Worked on my old Touch

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206064

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I lost my kindle keyboard, so I might have to cave and get a Paperwhite. Does the 3G data only work for downloading books? I can't think of a need for it anymore, especially now that my phone can tether, but I figure I would check. I don't travel international.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm pretty sure I lost my kindle keyboard, so I might have to cave and get a Paperwhite. Does the 3G data only work for downloading books? I can't think of a need for it anymore, especially now that my phone can tether, but I figure I would check. I don't travel international.

Kindle store and Wikipedia if I recall.