Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Well, the holidays are over, and I am free to Pass Judgment

EDIT 1 point: Indolent Bastard!

Sorry for the delayed response, but upon review, I've found Indolent Bastard worthy of placement. Excellent weathering techniques and a deep familiarity of Ork style is always nice to see, and you are certainly the go-to guy for both of those things.

2 points: Matgash!

You always put out sexy work, but these bikes are by far a cut above. Aside from the clean and subdued palette choices, you did manage to put the bikes together in a way that hides the seams and splits that the awful casting creates. While not really a part of my judgment process, the end result is a smooth, lovely canvass that you take full-advantage of, which definitely scores marks on my side of things.

3 points: Slimnoid!

For the second time in a row, I am blown away by a palette-swap enough to put someone into the three-point category. Aside from a fantastic interpretation on this and other models, you also managed to get a whole lot of them done to a rather high standard, which is another thing that I love to see. Your stuff is always good, but this month you've outdone yourself.

Special Cool-Person Point: Schmetterling!

I shouldn't have to tell you why this doesn't work, but it's because of these many, obvious reasons that I love these guys. Art evokes emotions, and I find it hilarious that even in undeath, these guys gotta keep them locks in top shape.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Leperflesh posted:

Hi KingMob. Did you do this month's theme? I can't quite tell from the photo if that's NMM or just metallic paint.

No theme, just regular old metallics.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete!

The Detektuv's Jurnal is all the metal on Gael army figures.

I'd like to claim the Fly Your Flag bonus for this kobold patriot. :smaug::hf::patriot:

Fight on, little buddy. Fight on.

I'd also like to claim the chariot & swordswomen as a themed group. The horses and chariot come apart into 3 pieces, like so:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

This is a themed group and I'd like to claim the detektuv's jurnal for the blade on the sergeant's sword.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I mean, in theory I can start with your oath photo, and match them up individually to zombies in the group shot. I just... don't really want to. :(

I... I'm sorry... :(

I'll try and do some mspaint arrows/numbers on the shots and post it, to help you out.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oath Completed!

I'm quite proud of these guys. It was nice to work with some colour after the flat white Federation ships. With my desktop kaput I am sadly unable to edit the images to put my usual username/date text onto them.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
If you use imgur, you can edit in a username on the site.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hrm, can you? I'll have to start doing that for my detail shots. I knew you could do crops and rotates, didn't know you could add text.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Hrm, can you? I'll have to start doing that for my detail shots. I knew you could do crops and rotates, didn't know you could add text.

Yup. That's what I did. It's under 'advanced'.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Sole.Sushi posted:

1 point: OneTruBru!

I painted this back in November, and it's a saved whale to boot! I'm not sure if it should be eligible to win points, though perhaps I'm wrong. :confuoot:

Even if it isn't eligible, it's still nice to get a judge's vote. Thanks. :unsmith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

One Pathfinder Red Dragon by Reaper Miniatures Bones. No Jurnal.

More photos tomorrow when it's lighter.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Ok, now I've done all I can to identify my painted zombies in the group shot, and also in the seperate shots.
I've tried to find something that identifies every single zombie from my oath, circled it in mspain, and tried to find the same characteristic in the oath complete shot and the group shot. :spergin:

Things to note:
a1, a2, a3 and b1 are all 4 zombies on a single base.
I tried to cross out all the non-oath zombies with pink crosses in the group shot.

Original oath/batch a

Oath addition/batch b

Group shot with the completed oath shots repeated for reference

I really hope this helps you out. Or at least I hope my effort in identifying my zombies will convince you I'm not trying to get away with foul play :smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

1 point: OneTruBru!

Smooth and striking colors and a prevalence of warm tones always go well together, but are often hard to get right. You, however, pull it off with aplomb; the controlled use of blues to really make the reds, browns and yellows pop is a great trick, and your overall execution is an impressive showing!

Unfortunately, OneTrueBru isn't eligible for judging for November, because he didn't do a regular Oath - he only Saved a Whale. Regretfully you'll have to select someone else for third place. (If his image was included in the slideshow, that was an error, probably due to my including a link to his finished post in the spreadsheet, but I did that to track the Whale complete entry, so it's not Krushgroove's fault that happened.) I regret the confusion this caused.

SRM posted:

:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:
This is a themed group

The minimum qualifying size of a Themed Group at 28mm is five figures, sorry.

Loxbourne posted:

Oath Completed!

I'm quite proud of these guys. It was nice to work with some colour after the flat white Federation ships. With my desktop kaput I am sadly unable to edit the images to put my usual username/date text onto them.

Assuming no Jurnal this month either, right? Also, maybe try this.

Also, assuming no Jurnal here, right?

TheBlobThing posted:

Ok, now I've done all I can to identify my painted zombies in the group shot

Holy poo poo! Haha drat, OK yeah I'm convinced. :)

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OATH COMPLETED:siren:

Super quick with a big ol brush, probably should've taken a shot for speed painting. NMM isn't something I usually desire cuz I love metallics so hard, but I figured I'd give it a test go anyway. Definitely learned a few things:

- I'm not immediately very good at it.

- The high contrast look isn't really working, the tones should be much closer together. I like how the knee pad turned out best.

- A black wash at the onset may not have been a great idea, way too dark in the recesses.

- NMM takes frickin ages to achieve even iffy results. Probably not going to go for it in any large capacity in the future, but could definitely see throwing on some arcane wargear or something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Leperflesh posted:

The minimum qualifying size of a Themed Group at 28mm is five figures, sorry.
Shucks :( thought it was 3 models minimum. Ah well!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Claiming Themed Group

Detektuv Jurnal
I gave it a try on all 4 peasants, but I will just use this one for the jurnal:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Monoliths posted:

:siren:OATH COMPLETED:siren:

I like this quite a bit. I'm guessing it looks really sharp at 3 feet away (tabletop distance). Up close the layers really stand out, but I'm guessing that given a bit of distance, it blends together and looks aces. The only difference I see between this and the top-tier NMM stuff is blending. You really nailed it. Great job!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath complete!:siren:

This month's jurnal, 3 Fire Giants.

Choir of Menoth, a themed group

Kreoss, a Crusader, Vanquisher, and Repenter.

Gallows Groves

Shifting Stones and Stone Keeper

Explorer.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
:frogsiren: Oath complete! :frogsiren:

:frogsiren: Claiming: Jurnal
:frogsiren: Claiming: Box art http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat970009a&prodId=prod1820008a

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Love those fire giants, Red Shoe. Must work out colour schemes for mine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

One Pathfinder Red Dragon by Reaper Miniatures Bones. No Jurnal.

More photos tomorrow when it's lighter.

Lighter was ambitious, but anyway... I need a better photo setup. It's on my list to work on as a woodworking project.

Rar.

Imgur's photo editing is surprisingly decent actually. Used their whiten feature on this. I really need to work out how to do it properly on GIMP though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It is with great sadness I must announce a failed oath. Too many hours at work this month, behind on my studies, and I managed to oath too much again. Disappointing too, because I'm quite pleased with how the stuff I have managed to finish has gone. I'll be saving da whales in January.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've also failed my oath, even if I manage to bang out the 5 infantry models, my Land Raider wouldn't be anywhere near complete.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's still time! Forswear drinking all day tomorrow and PAINT!!

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
Oath Complete!

From the front (they are not actually glossy, its just how the colour balance came out when photographing them)

From the back

They are also a themed group comprising the third and fourth company of a generic battalion of Napoleonic French line infantry. No Junranl, the guns and bayonets are actually metallic paint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK folks, just a heads-up for next month: we'll be doing a separate mini-competition that anyone who completes any NON-Games Workshop model is eligible to participate in, and vote for the winner!

It'll work just like the previous user votes (3 for 40K, 1 for Malifaux), with our own goon NTRabbit providing a selection of Mastic models for the winner at the end of January!

This month's prize will be for the painters of all the finished 40K oaths, I'll post something later this week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, Tomorrow is New Year's Eve, Get your Oaths Done!

Remember the deadline is midnight GMT. Use a world clock time zone converter tool thingy to find out when that is in your own local time zone.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Are we allowed to use a figure that we previously painted (during this season) in our dioramas, or do all the components need to be specially painted for the diorama?

Also, the diorama and display board links are switched in the OP.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Infinity Tank Hunter featuring December's Detektuv’s Jurnal Non-Metallic Metal

10 Norman Crossbow-Men in 6mm for a Themed Group entry

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Brock Samsonite posted:

:siren: I, Brock Samsonite, Oath dis stuff. 6 Dark Reapers, games workshop, 1 Highland Tufted Squig, also GW (highland tufting mine, for jurnal):siren:

I'm just :siren:SAVIN DA WHALES:siren: from last month.

I didn't do any this month because I'm a fat Christmas having loser bad at NMM. We'll go with that, sure.

Oath Pic

Reaper Detail

A few of my suig that's just silly.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: moths

First off, the picture is great. The actual paint job is outstanding as well. The mud clumps, the weathering on the bed of the truck, the horizon on the windows/mirrors. Your infantry as well look sharp, the bases are on point, the facial hair came out nicely.

2nd Place, 2 Points: Red Shoe

This guy stood out for me. The base, the cloak, the turban, the tanned skin, it all works together perfectly. Dude looks like he belongs there. Also digging the Nyss Hunters, the grey/brown/bone combo looks sweet.

1st Place, 3 Points: Namenlos

Amazing job all around. Great base, great color choices. It would be easy for something like this to look too busy, but that is not the case here, you struck the tone right on the button, looks sweet. I especially like that purple, the highlights on the arms are awesome. Mustache is killer too.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Movember,1 Point: TheBlobThing

That facial hair looks like it was sculpted on that way, great paint job.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

Are we allowed to use a figure that we previously painted (during this season) in our dioramas, or do all the components need to be specially painted for the diorama?

Also, the diorama and display board links are switched in the OP.

That is a good question. I think the answer is 'no', because if you previously submitted it for judging for a monthly Oath, it shouldn't also be eligible for judging for the diorama. But that might not be a big deal. I'll discuss it with Krushgroove.

Bachtere posted:

:gifttank:Judgement!:gifttank:

This reminds me, Sole.Sushi I still need a replacement third-place winner for November from you.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Complete!

These guys are a themed group, as always, and the doom diver is a conversion as mentioned earlier. I haven't used metallic paints at all, so I guess that qualifies for the jurnal; the mortar has the effect the best, I think.

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, oath the following models:

5 GW Goblins
2 GW Orcs
1 GW Spear Chucker

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, am adding to my December Oath:

5 Warhammer goblin wolf riders, Marauder Miniatures (someone go back in time and get a sponsor prize from them! :black101:)
1 converted Warhammer Empire mortar

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 31, 2013

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath complete!

Jurnal is my attempt at nmm on the scythe blade.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
OATH COMPLETE Cutting it really close this time, and I'm not too pleased with what I got finished this month but meh. At least it's more bodies on the table.

Journal is the blade on the champion's axe

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Raphus C, Oath complete

Detektiv's Jurnal:

The Tankbusta on the far right has his Rokkitlauncha painted in NMM.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I'd rather not rush them, I'm not really in it for the prizes, just the motivation. :)

I'll probably just save da whales next month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Erm, wut? There's, like, 9 hours left.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oath Complete!

I figured I'd try something that I've never done before and boy was it difficult. I was intimidated before I started and I'm still intimidated now. It definitely came out better than I thought it was going to at one point (does this happen to everyone about half-way through?), and it was a good learnin' experience to boot, so thanks once again for giving me the opportunity to try stuff outside my comfort zone - I think that's my favorite thing about the oath thread.

e: Oh yeah, and happy new year, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Erm, wut? There's, like, 9 hours left.

When Krushgroove posted that, there were more than 24 hours left.

• Locked thread