Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I thought the whole point of being an adult was that you get a kick out of messing with teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
You can also boss them around to a certain extent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Naotsugu did endgame raids and such, but he quit playing for 2 years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Xoidanor posted:

Immersion broken, high-level players don't get attached to gear. :colbert:

Most MMO's now days High Level Players play Barbie at high levels. Wow Added Transmog, SWTOR has Armorings and Mods you can put into custom Gear, TSW the clothes/armor you wear is different than the talismans that you equip.

But yeah. I powered through this series yesterday and this morning, and It's pretty great, I've always been a fan of crazy MMO politics.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 29, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Arguably at the level cap you can finally pick whatever gear you like, because you don't have to worry about them becoming obsolete anymore. Best time to get some custom crafted poo poo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Speaking as someone who doesn't know a lot about MMOs outside of some very casual Guild Wars playing back in the day, are there any MMO games out there that don't have a level cap, and instead you can just level up forever -- albeit on a logarithmic scale and with diminishing returns?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrSunshine posted:

Speaking as someone who doesn't know a lot about MMOs outside of some very casual Guild Wars playing back in the day, are there any MMO games out there that don't have a level cap, and instead you can just level up forever -- albeit on a logarithmic scale and with diminishing returns?

Nope, unless some obscure, probably Korean, one does.

Level Caps are kinda needed to prevent players from completely over-leveling all content. It's why you generally only see level cap increases with expansion packs that add a poo poo ton more content.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think Asheron's Call doesn't have a level cap. Or at least not a Progression cap. EVE online also doesn't have a skill point cap.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bremen posted:

I think Asheron's Call doesn't have a level cap. Or at least not a Progression cap. EVE online also doesn't have a skill point cap.

Though I believe it does have a skill point cap for your emergency clones, so you proceed beyond a certain point at your own risk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bremen posted:

I can't speak to Asheron's call, but EVE like TSW is a skill based game. You just kinda pick skills to level/dump points in. So it's theoretically possible for you to be able to get every skill and do everything depending on what skills you have.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

In EVE Online, you can only train to level 5 in each skill, but you can train as many skills as exist, I think. So, theoretically, there's a cap. If you had all the skills trained to level 5 and someone else did the same, you'd both be at the same level, and there'd be no where else to go. I think. Also, in EVE, depending on your character build, some skills take longer to train than others. I wonder if some person who maybe stated EVE the day it went live and has faithfully paid for a subscription all these years, and consistently trained every second of every day since then -- I wonder if they would be able to get all the skills trained. Probably not.

In Asheron's Call, the highest level was 125, when I played long, long ago. I don't know if that ever changed, but I think you could continue to gain skills or something like that even after hitting 125. I believe I've heard of players running around with "equivalent levels" of 187 and 210 and such. It's pretty ridiculous.

One major complaint of a lot of MMO's is that in order to wear the proper equipment, you end up looking like a clown. Some MMO's have mechanisms for dying cloth and enameling armor. Black is always the most sought after color. My level 60 Minstrel in LoTRO was a master tailor, and I'd run him around in all green or red cloths when not doing stuff that required real protection.

I just started playing WoW again, and you can catch pets now and battle them like PokemonŽ. It's useless fun, but it gives you something to do. I still have to get my paladin to level 90 though. He just hit 88. I have no time for battle pets, but I do have a level 6 penguin now.

In LoTRO, you could play an instrument. You could load a MIDI file into the game and your toon would play Under the Double Eagle or whatever. It was also useless fun.

One problem I have with WoW is that once you start to go on higher level raids, people in your group will examine your equipment. If you are a retribution-spec paladin and you're wearing equipment more suited to a protection-spec paladin, they'll notice. "Hey, that breastplate has a high dodge and parry but no additional hit or mastery on it. I don't think you're equipped well enough to perform dps for this dungeon. Let's kick this guy!"

And, there goes your 30-minute wait for a dungeon run because you were wearing the wrong chest piece. Also, a lot of folks have damage meters they run while in a group -- not so much to see how well they're doing, but to make sure you're pulling your weight. "You're not doing enough damage. We need to replace you. Goodbye."

Makes you want to go back to Minecraft. We were talking about this today at work: What if the SAO/Log Horizon thing happened to you, but it was vanilla Minecraft as an MMO that you got into? Everyone is Steve. There are no women. Also, I think all the villagers are men.

These last couple episodes have been interesting but somewhat slow. Our main characters have been milling around the castle not doing a whole lot. Crusty, and you gotta wonder at that name, I keep thinking of Crusty the Clown from the Simpsons, is the big hero wooing the "native" princess. At least we're getting a glimpse into their world a bit.

The level 20-somethings having a difficult time in the dungeon perplexes me. I guess I've played MMO's long enough, that, even at level 20-something, I would know how to play my class in a group. The whole purpose of level-grinding is so you can figure out how to play your class and also play it in a group. You'd think they'd have had some experience at this beforehand. I think the writing here is a bit heavy-handed in how ignorant they are. At level 10, maybe. But the level 23-ish sorcerer out agro'ing the tank and then running for it.... I don't know...seems he should've figured that out by now. Granted, even high-level mages pull agro and run around. They usually end up dead.

I can see, though, if this is their very first MMO and they solo-leveled all the way to level 20-something, then they would have these problems. We don't know anything about how they leveled, so it's hard to say. In old EQ, solo-leveling to 20 would've been nearly impossible. In new EQ and most "modern" games, it's almost too easy.

Also, there appears to be no rez'ing. In SAO I understood that, but in almost all MMO's, healer-types have some rez ability at some level. That perplexes me. I wonder, if they did have the ability to rez, could they rez People of the Land?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dan7el posted:

Also, there appears to be no rez'ing. In SAO I understood that, but in almost all MMO's, healer-types have some rez ability at some level. That perplexes me. I wonder, if they did have the ability to rez, could they rez People of the Land?

Cue the necromancer in far southern Japan who's busy killing all the People of the Land and building himself an army of skeletons. :zombie:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
If it's like the other Asian MMOs I've encountered, your first 20-30 levels or so are basically tutorial mode where you can get all you need solo, on the main map, just doing simple quests. Instanced dungeons come in later and are much harder, particularly the boss.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They have to learn both normal party dynamics and how to fight for real, with no guides to reference. Shiroe and co. spent like a week doing nothing but fighting progressively stronger low-level mobs to learn how to fight, and they were masters of the original system.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dan7el posted:

These last couple episodes have been interesting but somewhat slow. Our main characters have been milling around the castle not doing a whole lot. Crusty, and you gotta wonder at that name, I keep thinking of Crusty the Clown from the Simpsons, is the big hero wooing the "native" princess. At least we're getting a glimpse into their world a bit.

The level 20-somethings having a difficult time in the dungeon perplexes me. I guess I've played MMO's long enough, that, even at level 20-something, I would know how to play my class in a group. The whole purpose of level-grinding is so you can figure out how to play your class and also play it in a group. You'd think they'd have had some experience at this beforehand. I think the writing here is a bit heavy-handed in how ignorant they are. At level 10, maybe. But the level 23-ish sorcerer out agro'ing the tank and then running for it.... I don't know...seems he should've figured that out by now. Granted, even high-level mages pull agro and run around. They usually end up dead.

I can see, though, if this is their very first MMO and they solo-leveled all the way to level 20-something, then they would have these problems. We don't know anything about how they leveled, so it's hard to say. In old EQ, solo-leveling to 20 would've been nearly impossible. In new EQ and most "modern" games, it's almost too easy.

The author has admitted to naming Krusty after the clown from Simpsons simply because he had a little Krusty figure/toy/something on his desk when he was thinking about the name. None of the players in the dungeon party really have any MMO experience under their belt so that's one of the reasons why they're doing so poorly.

Elder Tales doesn't seem to tutorialize much. WoW is one of the most newbie-friendly games these days. It doesn't hold your hand as much as some but still lays things out clearly. Some MMOs, particular Asian ones, literally hold your hand every step of the way at the start. Open your inventory with this hotkey and equip armor, etc. Hell, WoW even has equipping your weapon for the Pandaren starting area.

ET seems to be a step behind in this regard, with more flat-out grinding for levels as opposed to questing for them. What works in a solo environment in the field doesn't necessarily apply in a group environment in a dungeon. The problem right now is that none of the players can hop onto wowhead and check out what things their class gets access to later, or to look up how a cleric differs from a druid. In such an environment, it's imperative to communicate with other players to share information. Minori seems to be trying this but she has a problem speaking up so she can't do that. It doesn't help that nobody is talking. Isuzu's songs are group buffs and support but she didn't tell anyone she chose a song that only helps Rudy until it happened.

For training purposes, the dungeon groups are picking up party dynamics and it's clear that the newbie team isn't doing well in that area. The players on the beach are doing the 1-20 experience of getting fighting experience to learn their class. They have high level players there for advice and security.

Argas fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
That was one hell of an info dump.

And man, Elder Tale's original logo is metal as hell.

edit:

Why the difference in how they're labelled?

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 4, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

That was one hell of an info dump.

And man, Elder Tale's original logo is metal as hell.

edit:

Why the difference in how they're labelled?

http://i.imgur.com/shewavt.jpg

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I loved how they wrote in the game mechanics and the actual game's development into the plot.

Are you implying that Rudy is a person of the land?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

pandaK posted:

I loved how they wrote in the game mechanics and the actual game's development into the plot.

He says his parents call him Rudy, which seems weird if Rundel Haus isn't just some random handle. And all the other adventurers have just had one-word names (so far at least)...

This episode was a lot of fun. I kinda dig this series' slow pace, it's not running faster than it needs to and everything is interesting even when it's just people talking.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a pretty clever explanation. So the real question is who cast the third massive spell to bring the adventurer's minds into the world, and why.

I totally missed that. :aaa:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is a short image in the OP of bard girl crying out over his apparently dead body, so that may actually be a meaningful thing to notice.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Adelheid posted:

He says his parents call him Rudy, which seems weird if Rundel Haus isn't just some random handle. And all the other adventurers have just had one-word names (so far at least)...

This episode was a lot of fun. I kinda dig this series' slow pace, it's not running faster than it needs to and everything is interesting even when it's just people talking.

Well his name is supposed to be Rundelhaus Code where the = looking figure is commonly used in Japanese game names to denote spaces. Sort of like how Westerners use tons of x's in their game names.

Blhue posted:

There is a short image in the OP of bard girl crying out over his apparently dead body, so that may actually be a meaningful thing to notice.

yup, Rudy is a lander confirmed

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

quote:

His nameplate is green, players have a blue one

e: fixed quote tags

Tamba fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 5, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Episode 14: I hope you like exposition.

Nice to see death have some meaningful downside besides XP without it being "die in the game and you die for reals".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mo_Steel posted:

Episode 14: I hope you like exposition.

Nice to see death have some meaningful downside besides XP without it being "die in the game and you die for reals".

Also, if you die you *literally* lose experience. Puns as plot points. :laugh:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Not really a major spoiler or anything but spoiling it just incase.

So I guess the apocalypse happened in 2018, and he started playing in 2009/2010ish. Basing it off the fact when the game screen popped up for the beta up in the left hand corner it said Game Version: 1998.10.22 65-23-14987. Or have they already established this, and I've just forgotten?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

Not really a major spoiler or anything but spoiling it just incase.

So I guess the apocalypse happened in 2018, and he started playing in 2009/2010ish. Basing it off the fact when the game screen popped up for the beta up in the left hand corner it said Game Version: 1998.10.22 65-23-14987. Or have they already established this, and I've just forgotten?

Dunno. But given what we've been told, the game is two decades old, Shiroe has been playing for 8 years and the first "World Magic" happened almost 30 years ago or more than 9 years before the game (9 years and 2 months to be exact).

Speculation: I would have guessed the first period as an Alpha version and possibly closed Beta, however that span of time is way to long for both of those together.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tamba posted:

His nameplate is green, players have a blue one
[/quote]

poo poo this makes too much sense, even his name is kind of a clue I mean HAUSCODE that is some kind of odd pun going on there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kwyndig posted:

poo poo this makes too much sense, even his name is kind of a clue I mean HAUSCODE that is some kind of odd pun going on there.
If this is true, though, how is he the level he he claims to be (and I presume the other players would notice if something was seriously off there) if the People of the Land don't level? Have we seen his character screen at all? Could he be one of those legendary heroes the sage mentioned?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Paracelsus posted:

If this is true, though, how is he the level he he claims to be (and I presume the other players would notice if something was seriously off there) if the People of the Land don't level? Have we seen his character screen at all? Could he be one of those legendary heroes the sage mentioned?

They mentioned earlier that People Of The Land do have character levels but they cap out at around thirty or so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I thought that they level extremely slowly.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Rundel = rundll as in rundll32.exe? Never heard of Rundel and that's fairly close :shrug: or maybe that's stretching it too much.

I am very familiar with rundll32 and it's errors. :cripes:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Rundel = rundll as in rundll32.exe? Never heard of Rundel and that's fairly close :shrug: or maybe that's stretching it too much.

I am very familiar with rundll32 and it's errors. :cripes:

No one is named after computer terms. The last two episodes introduced a poo poo ton of people of the land with standard fantasy names. This isn't set inside of a game, and the npc's aren't programs.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

No one is named after computer terms. The last two episodes introduced a poo poo ton of people of the land with standard fantasy names. This isn't set inside of a game, and the npc's aren't programs.

But i'm not talking about anything in general, i'm talking about one person. I'm saying it sounds similar not making a blanket statement. No idea where you're getting that.

e: Or NPC I guess.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 5, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Making the NPCs interpret the game's development as the history of their world like that was a really cool idea. Things like the removal of an overpowered race being interpreted as a great fall of an advanced civilization were a lot of fun. So many possibilities as to what could be going on.

Everything about that infodump made sense from a game development analogy sense... except the Six Bent Princesses. I couldn't think of what those could be an interpretation of. Any ideas?

Also, after realizing the demi-humans are real beings now, too, I'm definitely expecting a big Mordor-style orc Waaaaagh/invasion at some point, either led by a raid boss, a sly NPC a la Saruman, or even a player.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dexo posted:

I thought that they level extremely slowly.

A mixture. People of the Land with noncombat classes can't even level well since they can't survive battles. People of the Land with combat classes usually stop around level 20, because they can fight weak monsters like skeletons and goblins.

The problem:
-Higher level monsters require a team to fight. High level People of the Land tend to be in the military or have some other attachment. Few of them could bugger off to grind levels, much less do it as a group.

-Higher level monsters means more exotic gimmicks. You only gain any experience from a Level-5 monster, so the danger level increases. Most of them aren't crazy and would prefer not to risk their lives just getting stronger.

-And of course, extremely high XP costs makes the second point much worse. You not only have to risk your life over and over, but you have to do it for longer than an Adventurer would.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Love the episode and the word building in it.

Though it makes me think, in RPG/MMORPGs, what is the highest class of spells we usually get?

Tactical or Operation, probably. Raid-wide spells are what I can think of.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Apparently if you ever wanted to maybe influence the direction of Log Horizon as a story, here is your chance. They're taking suggestions for localized classes for other parts of the world.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

nielsm posted:

Apparently if you ever wanted to maybe influence the direction of Log Horizon as a story, here is your chance. They're taking suggestions for localized classes for other parts of the world.

I submitted a Duelist class for the US server, which is basically the same archetype as the Swashbuckler but with the additional option of guns (single-shot flintlock pistols). Because 'Murrica :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tarezax posted:

I submitted a Duelist class for the US server, which is basically the same archetype as the Swashbuckler but with the additional option of guns (single-shot flintlock pistols). Because 'Murrica :911:

If we're talkin' American cultural heroes, no one's bigger than Paul Bunyan. They can be guardians that focus on giant fuckin' axes. They've got less armor, but their ox (minotaur? :haw:) pet helps them tank. Lumberjack class: submitted.

• Locked thread