Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhNoLookOutRUN
Nov 8, 2004

dorito dave
A friend of mine unloaded his closet queen 2000 USA P bass on me. I've been playing the hell out of it, but I'm considering swapping out the pickup for something that will give the bass slightly larger balls. Any opinions on the Fender Original '62? They seem to get good plusballs reviews, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
The mounting solutions are sketchy at best, but I suggest http://www.trucknutz.com/

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

OhNoLookOutRUN posted:

A friend of mine unloaded his closet queen 2000 USA P bass on me. I've been playing the hell out of it, but I'm considering swapping out the pickup for something that will give the bass slightly larger balls. Any opinions on the Fender Original '62? They seem to get good plusballs reviews, but I'm not entirely convinced.

I love the Fender '62 in my AVRI, but if you're looking for something more aggressive it may not be the way to go. I don't know what they were putting in the MIA Standards in 2000, though.

OhNoLookOutRUN
Nov 8, 2004

dorito dave

The Bunk posted:

I love the Fender '62 in my AVRI, but if you're looking for something more aggressive it may not be the way to go. I don't know what they were putting in the MIA Standards in 2000, though.

I'm not sure aggressive is the word I'd use for what I'm looking for. The thing just doesn't have as much, Idunno, punch, I suppose, as I feel like it should. Like it's a little too weak in the mids.

vvvv
First thing I tried, actually. It helped, but I'm still not satisfied with it.

OhNoLookOutRUN fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 31, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Have you tried raising the pickup height a bit? Even if it doesn't quite give you as much as you want, you might could get away with a somewhat milder set of pickups by playing with them closer to the strings.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Try a DiMarzio model P or a SD quarter pounder.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How exactly do you tap? Every time I try it I get either a bunch of buzz or just nothing. Is it more about the amp, the guitar or the strings?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My new ibanez 5 string in all its glory! I haven't played it very much but so far I love it!

http://imgur.com/FNTXKHC

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

How exactly do you tap? Every time I try it I get either a bunch of buzz or just nothing. Is it more about the amp, the guitar or the strings?

You need to fret the note clearly when you're tapping and you need to strike it forcefully enough to where you can get something audible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EQ, gain, and compression go pretty far when it comes to a good tapping tone. Don't be afraid to play around a little until you find something clear without being too clanky.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

PrinceRandom posted:

It's entirely about the technique. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

So, it looks like I'm going to get one of the first-run handbuilt Baer Valkyrie's after all. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's entirely about the technique. :)

Well, yeah :blush:

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of compression, what do you guys recommend in that department? I have a pretty good amp/cab setup and one of those multi effects pedal for when i want to do dumb wankery already, so I think I've got everything I'd need for most scenarios (I typically play classic rock/pop).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Declan MacManus posted:

Try a DiMarzio model P or a SD quarter pounder.

Quarter Pounds have kind of mid-cut profile though don't they?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Scarf posted:

Quarter Pounds have kind of mid-cut profile though don't they?

You're right, I was thinking about the single coil P-Bass QP which is all mids

They have a Hot wound version which might be better

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've always liked the way Nordstrands sound, but I have no personal hands-on experience with them... Might be one to look into though.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Speaking of Nordstrands...

I've been looking into souping up my bass; replacing the bridge, pickups, tuners and maybe eventually the neck. I've got a recent MIM 5-string Jazz to start building from, but I don't really know what the good options are with regards to upgrades (I've been looking at Nordstrand pickups, though). I've heard a lot of people complaining about stuff like Fender bridges and I'm curious what alternatives people would recommend. Anyone have any suggestions?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Scarf: Would you have a soundclip of your Lakland hollow-body in a band context, preferably something laid-back?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Underflow posted:

Scarf: Would you have a soundclip of your Lakland hollow-body in a band context, preferably something laid-back?

Let me dig through some old clips and see... If all else fails I can record something quick in GarageBand with some drums and other instruments if you want.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Scarf posted:

Let me dig through some old clips and see... If all else fails I can record something quick in GarageBand with some drums and other instruments if you want.

Thanks a lot, would be very helpful indeed.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Underflow posted:

Lakland does!

http://www.lakland.com/ac_hollowbody.htm
http://www.lakland.com/ac_hollowbody-tapped.htm

rio
Mar 20, 2008

After a couple of drilling mishaps (whoops)I got my new Warmoth neck on my US jazz body. I was going to go with a wooden pickguard like walnut or something but I put on the original white one and kind of like it...can't decide.

Fretless supremacy.

DSCF8355-Edit by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

Just for clarity's sake, I am/was an endorsing artist for Lakland, so take my opinions as you will.

I was thinking about this today, and I was wondering if you could tell me about this. How did it happen, what did it entail, did they have crazy demands, were there Lakland sponsored Scarf parties? I'm curious about endorsements

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Those do a decent job of how it sounds yeah. Mine are a little different because they installed straight-up Chi-Sonic single-coils in it for me, rather than tap-able humbuckers. I'll still try and get some of my own up this weekend. Should have some downtime at some point to do it.

Ericadia posted:

I was thinking about this today, and I was wondering if you could tell me about this. How did it happen, what did it entail, did they have crazy demands, were there Lakland sponsored Scarf parties? I'm curious about endorsements

It's really not anything crazy or glamourous or anything like that... The only reason I ever bring it up when discussing Lakland is to show that I am a *BIT* biased for that reason :) They used to have a section in their FAQ that dealt with endorsement-seekers.

Basically I emailed Dan Lakin (back when he was running things there) and introduced myself, my band, where all we played, the kind of exposure we got, what Lakland equipment I already had, how much I enjoyed their basses, and basically flat out asked if I could become an endorsing artist for them because I was in the market for yet another Lakland bass.

It's purely a marketing decision on their part... At the time, I don't think Lakland had much exposure in the southeast, and that's where we played (regional act, at best). Basically in exchange for you getting their product in front of more eyes and ears, they give you a deal on purchasing equipment. It's a good discount and will vary from company to company, but it is by no means free equipment. I guess that'd be more of a sponsorship rather than endorsement. Some will give you a certain percentage off of List Price, others will give you a percentage off Retail Price. Hell, my old drummer had a crazy deal from Pork Pie for a pretty drat crazy percentage off of retail. And later on, talking with the new president John Pirruccello, I got my guitarist a deal when Hanson Guitars first launched.

No real special treatment other than that... I mean, I don't think so. Lakland has always had amazing customer support, for everyone. I'd speak to the same people anyone else would when I'd need something.

I'm sure it's different for big-name acts though.

So my advice is that if you're in a moderately popular band playing in front of decent crowds on a regular basis, just see if you can get in contact with either the marketing dept. or, better yet, the head of the company and see what they can do for you. Obviously, smaller companies may be more likely to help you out... It can never hurt to ask though. Just be friendly and let them know you dig their product.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 3, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I had a deal with Warwick back in the day, when they were distributed in the US by Dana B Goods. Same deal - I was in a semi-popular band and already had been playing Warwicks for a while. I just sent them a press kit and had a phone conversation, and they gave me the mid-tier deal which at the time was 50% of DEALER COST. I got one bass on the deal, then they switched distributors and I got shuffled out of the system.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
The 1/4 inch output of a Sansamp Bass Driver my friend lent me is way lower than the XLR output. That's not right, is it? I have to crank the gain on the channel literally all the way to hear it from the 1/4 inch output(and it sounds like poo poo), I can leave gain at 0 on my mixer with the XLR input.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

My brother gave me Bass Fitness for Christmas, definitely a real workout!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So, it looks like I'm going to get one of the first-run handbuilt Baer Valkyrie's after all. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Quoting from a few days ago now, but please do elaborate!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ashgromnies posted:

The 1/4 inch output of a Sansamp Bass Driver my friend lent me is way lower than the XLR output. That's not right, is it? I have to crank the gain on the channel literally all the way to hear it from the 1/4 inch output(and it sounds like poo poo), I can leave gain at 0 on my mixer with the XLR input.
The 1/4 out is at instrument level, the XLR is line level so the 1/4 is going to be lower output. Does your mixer have a line/instrument switch? Does the BDDI sound ok when plugging into an amp?

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Guitar player checking in, needing some advice.

I'm looking for a bass for recording purposes. What should I be looking for in the used market at around $300ish Canadian? Main genres: Rock, Metal, and Funk. Is $300 enough, should I extend the budget? Any brands or models I should look out for on the used market?

Recording direct through my Axe FX II so amp isn't a concern.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ray_finkle_himself posted:

I'm looking for a bass for recording purposes. What should I be looking for in the used market at around $300ish Canadian? Main genres: Rock, Metal, and Funk. Is $300 enough, should I extend the budget? Any brands or models I should look out for on the used market?

Squier VM Jazz Bass or P-Bass would be a good bet. Since you mentioned funk I'd lean towards the P but really either will serve you well.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah for that generic description I'd vote pawn shop Pbass.

I'm coming from 3 J necks and an aging Spector, but starting to look for a standard P bass. Just something about that no-frills, no apologies (no excuses) tone.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Indeed they do, thanks. Person I'm asking this for will be grateful for a real world example of what it can do, though.

Scarf posted:

Those do a decent job of how it sounds yeah. Mine are a little different because they installed straight-up Chi-Sonic single-coils in it for me, rather than tap-able humbuckers. I'll still try and get some of my own up this weekend. Should have some downtime at some point to do it.

Please don't put yourself out; anything with a bit of drums and piano or guitar will do fine, even a live excerpt. And the prospective buyer may actually wind up with single coils too. Btw, do you get a cut if she were to mention some sort of code at order time?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

DrChu posted:

The 1/4 out is at instrument level, the XLR is line level so the 1/4 is going to be lower output. Does your mixer have a line/instrument switch? Does the BDDI sound ok when plugging into an amp?

I only have a guitar amp, no bass amp. Is it safe to try the bass on it if I just play high notes?

Mixer doesn't have a line/instrument adjustment but my interface does. It doesn't seem to make a difference though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Underflow posted:

Please don't put yourself out; anything with a bit of drums and piano or guitar will do fine, even a live excerpt. And the prospective buyer may actually wind up with single coils too. Btw, do you get a cut if she were to mention some sort of code at order time?

Nah, no problem at all! I need to get some up anyway because I'm actually in the market to sell mine... Is she looking to get a Skyline or a US model? If skyline, she might be interested in mine. It's been lovingly used. I had them install a bone nut when I ordered it, and they went back and installed the single-coils for me, at THEIR suggestion. I was having some problems with the coil-tap system, and they told me they felt like the single coils sounded better anyway if I wanted to have them swap out the entire system. It's also strung up with some wonderfully aged La Bella DT Flatwounds :)

No idea about any codes for ordering...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Doomy posted:

Quoting from a few days ago now, but please do elaborate!

http://www.baeramps.com/amps.html

I was on the beta tester list and couldn't come up with the scratch at deposit time, but a few days ago he said he had one left in stock and I pounced. It's kind of a pre-production beta run of just 10 amps, all hand assembled in house (but with production boards) to make sure everything is good before having a larger number made.

As for the amp, on paper it's the amp I have been sketching out for the last five years as the amp I'd build if I had the opportunity. Studio-quality solid state preamp, completely flat frequency response with adjustable HPF built into the deep control and a really controllable dual parametric EQ. The power amp is a Class A/B toroidal beast like a DB750. In between the two, though, is what makes it special: There's a small tube power amp, output transformers and all, which is dropped back down to line level before hitting the power amp, which you can dial up to feel like anything from a super-clean tube DI to a Volume Maxed Out SVT. I used to have an Interstellar Overdrive which did the same thing and loved how it sounded (but the thing was built like poo poo.)

That's how it was described, and based on the responses of those who have already gotten theirs it's exactly as they said it'd be. It's not a lightweight class D thing, but I really don't care too much about that; I've been chasing the tone of my old DB680/DB728 rig and the power of my old DB750 for quite some time, and if this satisfies it I'm happy lugging around an extra 10 lbs over what my old AG500 weighed. I know it'll be a quality piece because I already have a pair of the ML112 cabs and they are by far the best I've ever played.

I'm so loving excited.

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Any Fender or Squier PJ new or used will do the job.

ashgromnies posted:

I only have a guitar amp, no bass amp. Is it safe to try the bass on it if I just play high notes?

You don't need to keep it to high notes, just keep the volume down.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Jeez, I really really enjoyed Hal Leonard bass method part I - pretty much everything in that first tome is gold IMO, but the second part is really testing my patience - two songs and then PAGES of tabs, scale patterns and then just loads of songs in a weird key signature and full of accidentals (E Major scale for most of the song run OH LOOK HERE COMES G Major I hope you were ready for that!)

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
A friend of mine is selling a couple of Eden cabs. They are the dxlt 210 and 1X15. He is asking 250 apiece. Should I jump on this deal? They sounded really good to my ears last time I heard them but I don't really know much about bass equipment.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

Mixer doesn't have a line/instrument adjustment but my interface does. It doesn't seem to make a difference though.

It's all about padding the amount of gain for whatever is going into the interace.

And as far as guitar/bass goes, you'll hear a lot of different answers. If you dime the guitar amp and play the bass through it you'll probably blow the speaker but there's no inherent danger to playing a bass through a guitar's pre or power amp section. Now, if you had a properly rated external bass cab you could probably do it with no problem but if it's a combo you'll want to disconnect the guitar's speaker. For a short term low-volume solution it'll work. You could also try the BIAS app on the iPad which has bass amp simulation. If you're just using it for studio and home stuff then that's probably the most cost effective solution (if you already have an iPad, naturally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You don't need to keep it to high notes, just keep the volume down.

Yea, nothing.