Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Downloaded BiteSMS from that^ repo and, having installed five, nothing shows up. No sign of it on it my device. What's the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Downloaded BiteSMS from that^ repo and, having installed five, nothing shows up. No sign of it on it my device. What's the story?

Same here. I think MobileSubstrate has to be fixed before we can use it. There is some info on how to fix it here: http://forums.bitesms.com/forums/6/topics/6711 . Apparently doesn't work on A7 processors though :argh:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

tonic posted:

Same here. I think MobileSubstrate has to be fixed before we can use it. There is some info on how to fix it here: http://forums.bitesms.com/forums/6/topics/6711 . Apparently doesn't work on A7 processors though :argh:

This is making me lean more and more toward a 5C instead of 5S if I decide to upgrade anytime soon. Though I guess that'd be a moot point if the leaked exploit has derailed any hope of a 7.1 jailbreak anytime soon.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Saurik just posted that Substrate 0.9.5000 has been released, with support for iOS 7 and ARM64.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Klowns posted:

Saurik just posted that Substrate 0.9.5000 has been released, with support for iOS 7 and ARM64.

Tons of updates in Cydia here. Activator seems to work now. Still no BiteSMS though, if anyone gets it working on an A7, let us know.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Sauria tweeted that even though Substrate is no working with the x64 architecture, individual tweaks will need to be compiled for the A7 devices for them to run. Don't expect any tweaks to work straight away, it just allows the devs to start updating their tweaks.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

ibntumart posted:

This is making me lean more and more toward a 5C instead of 5S if I decide to upgrade anytime soon. Though I guess that'd be a moot point if the leaked exploit has derailed any hope of a 7.1 jailbreak anytime soon.

Gut feeling is there wasn't ever a plan for a 7.1 jailbreak. If that is true, it does make you wonder what the gently caress was going on with their rationale cause iOS 7 has been nothing like a traditional iOS release. iOS 7 was rougher around the edges on upon public release, and it feels like it was a couple months ago that people were talking about 7.1 being a major bug killing, UI polishing, tightening the bolts, type of update.

Which makes me think the Chinese were perhaps pushing for an earlier release than evaders wanted. This is entire speculation, of course.

Then again if the rumors about 7.1's release date are true, March, perhaps they felt having a jailbreak debut 5 months after a device is released was cutting it too close to the next iPhone 6.

Sorry for the ramble. I've been up all night vomiting. :-(

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Not sure if this is JB related but since last night mail.app and safari instantly crash on my device.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

decypher posted:

Which makes me think the Chinese were perhaps pushing for an earlier release than evaders wanted. This is entire speculation, of course.

China Mobile and Apple just signed the deal to release iPhones on their network, so yeah I'm sure more then a few groups wanted in on that 700 million customer base. Not really a surprise that evaders used any means at their disposal, like the exploit people have mentioned, to meet that deadline. The million dollars that was paid for them to package the hacked app store isn't even a drop in the bucket to what that store will bring in during it's first week.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Not sure if this is JB related but since last night mail.app and safari instantly crash on my device.

Did you install appsync?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Klowns posted:

China Mobile and Apple just signed the deal to release iPhones on their network, so yeah I'm sure more then a few groups wanted in on that 700 million customer base. Not really a surprise that evaders used any means at their disposal, like the exploit people have mentioned, to meet that deadline. The million dollars that was paid for them to package the hacked app store isn't even a drop in the bucket to what that store will bring in during it's first week.

The actual story is, the evad3rs jailbroke 7.0.4 pretty efficiently. geohot's analysis of it indicates that they used one exploit that they might not have had to if they were smarter, but the guy loves attention so take that for what you will.

The group that burned the incredibly useful exploit that should have never been publicly used was iH8sn0w and winocm for their 6.1.5 jailbreak.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
And to top it off, iH8sn0w has posted their source code on their website...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bobfather posted:

The actual story is, the evad3rs jailbroke 7.0.4 pretty efficiently. geohot's analysis of it indicates that they used one exploit that they might not have had to if they were smarter, but the guy loves attention so take that for what you will.

The group that burned the incredibly useful exploit that should have never been publicly used was iH8sn0w and winocm for their 6.1.5 jailbreak.

6.1.5 jailbreak is such a loving waste. :psyduck:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hamburlgar posted:

And to top it off, iH8sn0w has posted their source code on their website...

Don't you think Apple has enough smart people to figure out how the JB works without the source?

The transparency is a good thing from a user's perspective.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that Apple can and do go through the jailbreak softwares that are released to patch the bugs/exploits, but actually giving them the source code to most important bug in regards to any future jailbreaking development is a totally different matter.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
All I want is my five icon dock, but when I tried to install it, it kicked all my apps out of their folders and onto pages.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I just upgraded (finally) from 5.1.? to 7.0.4 and jailbroke successfully. Since I've been out of the game for so long, what are the new must-have cydia apps/extensions that everyone likes?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Laopooh posted:

I just upgraded (finally) from 5.1.? to 7.0.4 and jailbroke successfully. Since I've been out of the game for so long, what are the new must-have cydia apps/extensions that everyone likes?

f.lux
iFile
BiteSMS

Edit: and TetherMe which is the best bang for your buck tethering option.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 31, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there a hack that reverts the Music app to its pre-iOS 7 version? I don't necessarily need the appearance to change, but the functionality has to. I like iOS 7 as a whole, but holy poo poo does the Music app loving suck. They hosed up how albums are sorted, and navigating under the artist requires you to swipe through every track of every album, instead of just getting a collapsed list of the albums themselves.

Getting those two things fixed would instantly make iOS 7 jailbreak worthwhile.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I have been trying some extensions, and somehow, now on the photos apps, the clock/battery bar stays on top even on fullscreen mode. Has that happened to anyone?
edit: not my picture, but this is what it's doing:

cisneros fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 1, 2014

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

e.pie posted:

6.1.5 jailbreak is such a loving waste. :psyduck:

I disagree.

First off, there were a lot of devices left at iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.5. This would have been the first version of iOS "abandoned" by jailbreakers.
Devices stuck on 3.1.3? Jailbroken.
Devices stuck on 4.2.1? Jailbroken.
Devices stuck on 5.1.1? Jailbroken.
Devices stuck on 6.1.3/5? Abandoned ... until now.

pod2g/evasi0n even said they "under evaluated the interest" in regards to an iOS 6 jailbreak - like people would just be happy with everything else being jailbroken except their devices.

The exploit "wasted" apparently doesn't work right in the iOS 7.1 betas, which means it may be partially (or fully) patched out.

People seem to forget that the evasi0n 7 jailbreak could have been used in iOS 7.1 (since it works on the 7.1 betas), a MUCH needed upgrade to 7.0 - but were wasted on 7.0 because of some loving money / glory / credit.

People are bitching that the iOS 6 jailbreak *supposedly* wasted an exploit (that some said was already patched in iOS 7) when the iOS 7.0 evasi0n jailbreak is KNOWN to burn exploits that WOULD HAVE worked in 7.1. Apple will have it closed and fixed by the time 7.1 hits.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Gosh it's great to be able to get rid of carrier text and dock background again! Zeppelin and DockShift, in case you're wondering.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

JayKay posted:

f.lux
iFile
BiteSMS

Edit: and TetherMe which is the best bang for your buck tethering option.

Does TetherMe work on the 5s currently? Someone was saying that a large number of apps don't work on it yet.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

duffmensch posted:

Does TetherMe work on the 5s currently? Someone was saying that a large number of apps don't work on it yet.
My understanding is nothing works on 5s or Air yet as things need to be recompiled for 64-bit. Please correct me if wrong (I would like to be wrong.)

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

slomomofo posted:

Gosh it's great to be able to get rid of carrier text and dock background again! Zeppelin and DockShift, in case you're wondering.

Thanks for the dockshift recommendation. Works great.

Trip report: I installed Poof today to get rid of the stock apps I don't use. I only had Fake Carrier and Diet Bar installed.

Poof worked well enough, but it made the carrier reset to ATT. So basically Poof and Fake Carrier don't play nice together it would seem.

iPhone 4S on 7.0.4 fyi

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Is it normal for the signal/carrier/wifi icons to be bigger on the lockscreen and smaller on the home screen? I have reduced motion enabled and the icons just snap to a smaller size on unlock and it looks quite clumsy. Is it like this for everyone else?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

duffmensch posted:

I think TetherMe was just updated today for OS7 and 64bit support.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

gramlock posted:

Is it normal for the signal/carrier/wifi icons to be bigger on the lockscreen and smaller on the home screen? I have reduced motion enabled and the icons just snap to a smaller size on unlock and it looks quite clumsy. Is it like this for everyone else?

I hadn't noticed until now. Thanks for ruining iOS 7 for me.

Apparently iPad 2 wifi is now jail-breakable.

Those cydia updates have made ios7 much more reliable on my 4s.

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 1, 2014

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
NoLockscreen still doesn't work. Is there anything out there that does the same thing and works?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JayKay posted:

I think TetherMe was just updated today for OS7 and 64bit support.
Can anyone confirm this? TetherMe is the only reason I want to JB but I'd rather not do the restore dance unless I'm sure it works (I did OTA updates to 7.0.4)

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

randyest posted:

Can anyone confirm this? TetherMe is the only reason I want to JB but I'd rather not do the restore dance unless I'm sure it works (I did OTA updates to 7.0.4)

Change log confirms it was updated to support iOS7 and 64bit but also mentions "64bit still needs to be tested for iPhone5S"

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Is there anything similar to NoCoverFlow for ios 7?

I can't stand being in the music app and have it switch to the album view when it's in landscape mode.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
How likely is AT&T to notice someone using TetherMe or something similar? I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. :ohdear:

Also, does Zeppelin have an option to change the carrier text to your network's name? The app I used to rely on isn't working on iOS 7.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ibntumart posted:

How likely is AT&T to notice someone using TetherMe or something similar? I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. :ohdear:

How often are you going to run up 10gigs of usage or otherwise draw attention to yourself?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Probably never. This would just be if I'm stuck at an in-law's without internet for a night or two, or the rare time I get an internet outage. Even then, I'd mostly use it to read the forums and catch up on news and other non-bandwidth hogging stuff.

So I guess I'll at least download TetherMe if an iOS 7 version is out.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Since the OP is still all slashed out, can someone please give me the list of steps of upgrading from 6.1.2 JB to 7.0.4 JB? 6.1.2 was my first jailbreaking experience, and I still don't really feel comfortable handling this without a helping hand.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Klungar posted:

Since the OP is still all slashed out, can someone please give me the list of steps of upgrading from 6.1.2 JB to 7.0.4 JB? 6.1.2 was my first jailbreaking experience, and I still don't really feel comfortable handling this without a helping hand.

I jailbroke my 4S by restore-upgrading. OTA updates and resetting from your iDevice will cause problems so restoring is probably the safest method.

1. Backup your iDevice on iCloud/iTunes. iFunbox-transfer any jailbroken files (ROMs, save files, etc.) to save them since they won't be saved.

(Optional) 2. Make a list of Cydia tweaks you have and the source repos. Most of them aren't compatible with iOS 7 yet, but having to hunt down every single tweak by memory will be very frustrating.

3. Connect your iDevice to your computer and Restore it via iTunes. This will also upgrade the device to 7.0.4.

4. After the initial set-up (once you're on the 7.0.4 springboard), run evasi0n. Make sure your device doesn't have a passcode lock on it (apparently it can cause issues). Follow the steps onscreen and you're done!

edit: vvv Follow those much-more-indepth instructions instead!

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 1, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
This is what I did:
1. Downloaded the evasion JB file.
2. Made sure I had the most current version of iTunes on my Mac (would have done the same if I used my PC for the jailbreak).
3. After connecting my device, I downloaded but did not install the iOS 7.0.4 update.
4. Did a full back-up of my device (stored on computer, not iCloud).
5. Used iTunes to do a full restore so iOS7 would be installed on a blank phone.
6. At the prompt, I chose to restore from the backup I just made.
7. Went through the device's set-up screens.
8. Disconnected the device.
9. Ran the evasion JB file and reconnected my device when prompted.
10. Sat back and read for a bit while the jailbreak magic happened, following the directions as they appeared.
11. Went through the device's set-up screens again.
12. Gnashed my teeth when I realized how few of my iOS 6 jailbreak apps have been updated.

This was for my iPhone 4S, by the way. Haven't done my third gen iPad yet.

Edit: Oh, also I used PKGBackup to backup everything, JB and otherwise, to a cloud account. I forgot about using Appinfo to email my list of apps and completely spaced on the fact I have iFunbox and could have just saved everything locally.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Looks like Nitrous (gives other apps access to Safari's engine) has been updated for iOS 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HDC
Mar 11, 2006
So, after that 6.1.4 JB I have one crazy annoying behavior with all cellular data settings being reset to nothing every time the phone registers on the network. So now I can't drive through a tunnel or use an elevator without having manually enter APN, login and password afterwards. What the hell and what can I do to fix this?

• Locked thread