Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PTizzle posted:

13 Tzameti roughly fits the bill (definitely the game part) and it's excellent. Are you more referring to the 'copycat' films that came after Saw though?

I wouldn't say The Collector is great but it feels a lot like Saw in tone.

Yes, Saw-copycats is what I was after. Is The Collector based on the John Fowles book? If so, no way I'm ruining that book by watching a mediocre movie of it :)

Xandoom posted:

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the topic.

Hostel
Hostel: Part II
Hostel: Part III (laughably bad)
Cube
Frontier(s)
Martyrs
Vile
Are You Scared?
Any of the Texas Chainsaw Mssacre movies.
the Guinea Pig series
A Serbian Film kinda fits the bill too.
August Underground, August Underground's Mordum, and August Underground's Penance
all have elements of people being forced to do things by insane people.
Rest Stop
Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door
Megan Is Missing (One of the shittiest movies you will ever watch, please avoid it at all costs. Figured I'd throw it in in case you are really desperate.
The Bunny Game
The Human Centipede: First Sequence
The Human Centipede: Part II: Full Sequence
Philosophy of a Knife

All of these have elements of people being captured against their will, forced to compete against each other, forced to do things against their will, or otherwise being imprisoned or tortured. Not all of them are going to be exactly like Saw but ALL of them have some of the same elements as the Saw series.

Hope this helped. Enjoy!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Xandoom posted:

Except for the fourth one (with McConaughey and Zelwegger) which should not be watched under any circumstance!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No problem dude, be sure to report back what you think and if you need more suggestions! Be aware that a lot of the movies on the list will have a lot more extreme content than Saw. Don't want you to go into them thinking that they are as tame as Saw.

Starscream posted:

Except for the fourth one (with McConaughey and Zelwegger) which should not be watched under any circumstance!

True. Please do not watch that one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Xandoom posted:

No problem dude, be sure to report back what you think and if you need more suggestions! Be aware that a lot of the movies on the list will have a lot more extreme content than Saw. Don't want you to go into them thinking that they are as tame as Saw.
Well that might be a bit of a turnoff. I like the psychological loving-with / being-hosed-with aspect more than anything.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cube
Martyrs
Vile
Are You Scared?
A Serbian Film kinda
Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door
Megan Is Missing (One of the shittiest movies you will ever watch, please avoid it at all costs. Figured I'd throw it in in case you are really desperate.
The Bunny Game
Philosophy of a Knife

These are the ones from the list that have psychological fuckery. Some of them are still pretty nasty but will definitely have that element that you are going for.

I would also like to suggest Berberian Sound Studio. It basically fits your bill perfectly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even Xandoom is repulsed by Megan Is Missing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even Xandoom is repulsed by Megan Is Missing.

It truly is one of the most atrocious pieces of filmmaking I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. And I'm an August Undergroud fan. Seriously. Just avoid MiM at all costs.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Can anyone recommend comedies that are actually, you know, funny? I haven't seen a comedy I've enjoyed in ages to the point where I actively avoided them this year. I liked Dodgeball and Galaxy Quest, Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang... Anchorman was pretty good, Cabin in the Woods was fun. Any suggestions?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Well that might be a bit of a turnoff. I like the psychological loving-with / being-hosed-with aspect more than anything.

You might want this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409005

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Quincyh posted:

Can anyone recommend comedies that are actually, you know, funny? I haven't seen a comedy I've enjoyed in ages to the point where I actively avoided them this year. I liked Dodgeball and Galaxy Quest, Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang... Anchorman was pretty good, Cabin in the Woods was fun. Any suggestions?

I know what you mean, a lot of comedies have fallen flat with me in recent times. The best three that I can think of offhand are:

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Role Models
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

The first two I watched with zero expectations, caught me by surprise. Also if you liked Anchorman, do check out "Wake Up Ron Burgandy" which is any entire second movie made from unused footage and alternate takes. The first half of it follows the release cut of the movie, just different takes of scenes you arlready saw. The entire second half is new content though, and some of the best laughs I got from Anchorman were in there.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

I know what you mean, a lot of comedies have fallen flat with me in recent times. The best three that I can think of offhand are:

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Role Models
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

The first two I watched with zero expectations, caught me by surprise. Also if you liked Anchorman, do check out "Wake Up Ron Burgandy" which is any entire second movie made from unused footage and alternate takes. The first half of it follows the release cut of the movie, just different takes of scenes you arlready saw. The entire second half is new content though, and some of the best laughs I got from Anchorman were in there.

Thanks! I will check these out. :D

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Quincyh posted:

I'll always argue in favor of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Step Brothers, I Love You Man, The Campaign, and surprisingly, Due Date, for comedies from the last decade. American Hustle actually had me laughing quite a bit.

I find TV comedies are often more solid than movies. Sitcoms like Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, Childrens Hospital, Comedy Bang Bang, and Stella never fail to entertain me, no matter how many times I've seen them.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Quincyh posted:

The Wolf of Wall Street is really funny, in a dark way. You might also like 21 Jump St or This Is The End.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Quincyh posted:

21 Jump Street was a lot funnier than I was expecting.
Get Him to the Greek and The Other Guys have turned out to also be a lot more quotable than I was expecting.

Also, I've never laughed as hard lately as I did watching Manborg.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Quincyh posted:

Some older choices:
A Fish Called Wanda
Fear of a Black Hat is my favorite unknown comedy, though how much you get out of it probably depends how into rap you were in the late 80s / early 90s.
Defending Your Life
The Jerk

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
3rding 21st Jump Street and 2nding A Fish Called Wanda. Also, In The Loop is really funny, if you like british people screaming at each other. Also, I personally laugh really hard whenever I watch Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I loved Hana Bi and Sonatine. They're both by "Beat" Takeshi Kitano, and if I had to describe them I might say they're Yakuza via French New Wave.

I don't necessarily care that they're Japanese, but the tone of the films overall is just so fresh and unusual.

Anyone know of something along the same lines?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You might like Nicholas Winding Refn's films.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Quincyh posted:

Clerks
Goon
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny
Spinal Tap

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You might like Nicholas Winding Refn's films.

I do! I randomly watched Valhalla Rising a few years ago when it was On Demand, expecting boring VIKING FITE. It wasn't that. I loved Drive, so I tracked down Bronson (which I also loved). I put off watching Only God Forgives, because it got such bad reviews overall, but I liked it. I have the Pusher trilogy, but haven't gotten around to it. Sounds like I should finally check it out.

In some ways I find Refn to be the spiritual successor to Peckinpah. I feel like in their movies, a man becomes a man through violence, but it's not a positive experience.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Quincyh posted:

You like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, so why not The World's End? Part of an unofficial trilogy, after all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nocal posted:

I loved Hana Bi and Sonatine. They're both by "Beat" Takeshi Kitano, and if I had to describe them I might say they're Yakuza via French New Wave.

I don't necessarily care that they're Japanese, but the tone of the films overall is just so fresh and unusual.

Anyone know of something along the same lines?

Not quite as art house as Kitano, but I really dig Johnnie To's films. He's Hong Kong not Japan, but Election, Running out of Time and Drug War are all films I recommend without hesitation. Drug War is on Netflix and has been making the rounds on CineD lately.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Thanks for the recs, everyone. They're on my list. :)

nocal posted:

You like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, so why not The World's End? Part of an unofficial trilogy, after all.

Aw, yeah, I forgot about that. I have seen it. It was good, it just didn't live up to the first two so I was a little disappointed.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Not quite as art house as Kitano, but I really dig Johnnie To's films. He's Hong Kong not Japan, but Election, Running out of Time and Drug War are all films I recommend without hesitation. Drug War is on Netflix and has been making the rounds on CineD lately.

Thanks, I'll have to check him out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recomend a couple movies similar to Wristcutters: A Love Story? I'm kinda looking for that drama and or comedy with elements of suicide/depression. Thanks!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Xandoom posted:

Can anyone recomend a couple movies similar to Wristcutters: A Love Story? I'm kinda looking for that drama and or comedy with elements of suicide/depression. Thanks!

Have you ever watched "World's Greatest Dad"?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have not but will definitely check it out. Thank you!

I also watched It's Kind of A Funny Story and that is also along the lines of things that I am looking for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xandoom posted:

Harold and Maude.
Also, not at all like Wristcutters, but Leaving Las Vegas is entirely about suicide and depression (and alcoholism)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
For some reason I also want to really recommend "Saved". Also, you've seen "American Beauty" right? This goes triple for "Leaving Las Vegas".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xandoom posted:

I absolutely loved that movie. It makes a great double-feature with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, although you've probably seen it already.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Recommend me a movie similar to Road House that would make a good double feature. I don't want to watch Point Break.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

foodfight posted:

Recommend me a movie similar to Road House that would make a good double feature. I don't want to watch Point Break.

Flashdance.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Xandoom posted:

About a Boy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone!

Parkingtigers posted:

About a Boy.

I tried to watch this but I cannot stand Hugh Grant.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Go watch Let Me In (2010), do it naaaoo

If youre into vampire stuff etc, this is a pretty solid movie. Remake of the Swedish original version. Worth the time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

n4lrah posted:

Go watch Let Me In (2010), do it naaaoo

If youre into vampire stuff etc, this is a pretty solid movie. Remake of the Swedish original version. Worth the time.

I loving love this movie. It is better than the original, but they're both great. Chloe Moretz is great! Now I need to rewatch it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I really enjoyed Stoker and was surprised to see it was directed by the guy responsible for Oldboy. Where should I start with Park's other films?

Recommendations for more creepy, restrained thrillers like Stoker are always welcome too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If you liked Stoker, check out Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt, which Stoker was largely based on.

A request of my own: Are there any good non-horror, non-documentary movies about cults?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TrixRabbi posted:

If you liked Stoker, check out Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt, which Stoker was largely based on.

A request of my own: Are there any good non-horror, non-documentary movies about cults?
The Master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Good call, but I've seen it. Any others?

• Locked thread