Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in the same way that Problem Sleuth was the warm up for Homestuck, Homestuck itself is the warm up for something else.

I'll be in the bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure after Homestuck, he'll post something massive and incomprehensible, and use the ensuing confusion to leave the country/change his identity/escape the bugfuck fanbase and live on in solitude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Carrasco posted:

A couple of times on his formspring, he alluded to the next thing being much bigger: "the format and story framework will likely undergo earth shattering revolutions" and "Homestuck's really just a warm-up for something else".

Jailbreak 2 for sure then.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I figure after Homestuck, he'll post something massive and incomprehensible

You don't think that'll be the ending?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Due to time travel, Homestuck itself is the huge and incomprehensible work that he's building up to.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Carrasco posted:

A couple of times on his formspring, he alluded to the next thing being much bigger: "the format and story framework will likely undergo earth shattering revolutions" and "Homestuck's really just a warm-up for something else".

It'll be the most amazing/terrible ARG of all time.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Thundarr posted:

It'll be the most amazing/terrible ARG of all time.

We're already playing it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hussie will announce the beginning of his big amazing next thing after homestuck's done, and include a link to the first page of it.

The link will actually just lead back to the first page of homestuck and the fandom will implode.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Carrasco posted:

I'm glad to hear that because I remember somewhere else reading that he believed Homestuck to be the end of the player-controlled webcomic medium. So I've been gearing up to say goodbye to MSPA so hurrah it's going to continue!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

YellerBill posted:

Hussie will announce the beginning of his big amazing next thing after homestuck's done, and include a link to the first page of it.

The link will actually just lead back to the first page of homestuck and the fandom will implode.
Oh, so that's what the Ouroboros stuff in Homestuck is alluding to!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Stoat posted:

I'm glad to hear that because I remember somewhere else reading that he believed Homestuck to be the end of the player-controlled webcomic medium. So I've been gearing up to say goodbye to MSPA so hurrah it's going to continue!

I wouldn't take that as a guarantee that he intends to stick with MS Paint Adventures for his next project, or return to reader-driven story direction. He seemed like he'd really grown out of the latter when he ditched it, citing how Homestuck had become so popular that basically every possible course of action was getting suggested, and having full control of the narrative lets him do things like plan ahead.

He's got the Homestuck Adventure Game to go, that could potentially tie him up for a whole year even after Homestuck itself is over (maybe longer, who knows?). Assuming he doesn't spectacularly cock them up, though, he's probably got the freedom to do just about whatever he can imagine and he'll have a built-in audience ready to give it a try. There's no telling what he'll choose to do with that sort of freedom, he might even parlay it into a "real job" working on games, animated shows, comics or some such thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I predict his next big move will be founding a religion.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

I predict his next big move will be founding a religion.

Nah, he just needs to get Pope Francis to give Homestuck the Catholic thumbs up and he could form his own sect.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nah, he just needs to get Pope Francis to give Homestuck the Catholic thumbs up and he could form his own sect.

It's my understanding that Francis has been a more even-tempered about things like homosexuality, but Catholicism's enmity toward Gnosticism and Homestuck's embrace of it would be sure to lead to a modern schism.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It's my understanding that Francis has been a more even-tempered about things like homosexuality, but Catholicism's enmity toward Gnosticism and Homestuck's embrace of it would be sure to lead to a modern schism.

Having major characters in the story deliberately enter into pacts with a monster named Yaldabaoth is probably enough to get a big fat "nope" by itself. Hussie would need to look into a different funny hats religion if he wants to start a franchise.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It's probably compatible with Scientology.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hussie's actually taking so long working on the finale because he's going to reveal that the entirety of MSPaint Adventures was an elaborate, Insane-Clown-Posse-esque prank actually meant to teach readers about Jesus Christ.

There's room here for a crack about Dad and John being the Father and the Son, with dead Hussie as the Holy Ghost, but I can't seem to swing it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dolash posted:

Hussie's actually taking so long working on the finale because he's going to reveal that the entirety of MSPaint Adventures was an elaborate, Insane-Clown-Posse-esque prank actually meant to teach readers about Jesus Christ.

There's room here for a crack about Dad and John being the Father and the Son, with dead Hussie as the Holy Ghost, but I can't seem to swing it.

Give it three days, it'll come to you.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

In "tumblr is dumb" news, a bunch of people are convinced Hussie will post the final update tonight, since he said he'd be done in 2013.

Yeah, that probably isn't happening, kids.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bobulus posted:

In "tumblr is dumb" news, a bunch of people are convinced Hussie will post the final update tonight, since he said he'd be done in 2013.

Yeah, that probably isn't happening, kids.

Even if he did, sure as hell nobody is reading even the first page of it for a couple of weeks :v:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And just in time for the year to end, Hussie made a backers-only update for the Homestuck Adventure Game! The short version:

- Game is mostly planned now. Still not releasing the name of the developer.
- Game will be a single player adventure game (sorry, insane tumblr people that thought he would be making sburb!).
- Game will have kids, trolls, but not the webcomic cast, and does not feature sburb. (So who knows how the gently caress the two groups meet)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Homestuck Kickstarter Updates posted:

Greetings, and Happy New Year. Welcome to the First Annual Homestuck Kickstarter Update of 2013!!!

Much progress has been made on the adventure game since the Kickstarter ended. The game design work is mostly complete, thanks to the gritty combined efforts of myself, the developers, and those who for now I will refer to as Mystery Friends. Please observe the graphic below for evidence of this fact. This is a behind the scenes look at the true nature of Professional Game Design. A rare glimpse if you will at what Top Dev Honchos refer to as "the big leagues".

(Click image for high resolution version, to read all the juicy details.)
Even though a lot has been done so far, there have not been many junctures which I have felt would make for good Kickstarter updates along the way. Primarily this is because I want to avoid spoiling stuff as much as possible, and without such specifics, there tends to be... not a lot to report! There has been high level planning. There has been legal shuffling. Some modeling. Gameplay mockups. Entire sketchpads filled with gibberish. All such material tends to fall into one of two camps. Either too boring to bug you with, or TOO HOT FOR TV! It would be cool to be able to drop some killer screenshots on you, from strategically vague and mysterious moments throughout the game, but the fact is, that kind of content won't be available until the whole thing is nearly ready for prime time anyway. So until then, I hope you will bring yourself to enjoy nigh-impenetrable offerings such as these.

I guess I could announce the name of the developer, but even that I would like to wait until just the right moment I have in mind. (My reasons for keeping them a secret are also a secret!) But for now I will say they're good at making games and it's been a lot of fun working with them so far.

So what can I say about the game for now? How about I start by clarifying what the game is NOT. I hope I'm not using too much vertical space to state the obvious here. But I've seen enough conjecture like this to think some selective debunking may be in order.

You will not be able to design or customize characters. The game includes a hard wired cast of protagonists.
The game will not involve Sburb. It won't be some crazy MMORPG involving kids playing Sburb and the insane number of things that would entail. For one thing, Sburb is a very broad and ambitious game concept which implies a project with a much bigger budget than the one this has. For another thing, that idea is not quite what an "adventure game" is. And besides, in my view, a bunch of kids playing Sburb is what Homestuck is about. This game will be about something different.
Game will not be multi-player. Again, that's not really how adventure games work. - No voice acting. VA in this game sounds like a can of worms to me, and too easy to do badly. I'm personally not that big on VA in games like this anyway. I think it'll be a stronger product without it.
If you already knew all that, thanks for bearing with me! If you didn't, and are disappointed by those facts, I am sorry.

Now here are some things that the game WILL have!

New characters. All major characters in the game have never appeared in Homestuck before.
New story. As mentioned, does not involve Sburb, but does take place within same fictional realm as Homestuck. Events of story have only a loose relation to canon HS storyline. It is not necessary to read HS to play game.
Trolls.
See below.

(Click image to snoop on mystery girl.)
That does it for the First Annual Homestuck Kickstarter Update of 2013! I can only hope it was at least mildly frustrating for you to read, because that probably means you want to play the game. Thanks to backers for their ongoing support. Stay tuned for more news next year!

-Andrew Hussie

My best guess for developer so far is Telltale.
e: bobulus beat me to it but here's the whole thing.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Some surprising announcements there, some not-so-surprising announcements.

And by "surprising" I mean "not-so-surprising". I mean I know lots of people were hoping the Homestuck Adventure Game would just be SBURB but realistically speaking everyone should have expected something not strictly related to SBURB.

I'm pretty hyped to see what Hussie does with a Homestuck-related story that doesn't involve SBURB!... or how he does it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I was actually kind of hoping that it wouldn't have trolls, since i can't really see that working well if he's not doing a Sburb thing, but i guess he has to satisfy the fanbase.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dave and Karkat not in it? I can't finally watch them gently caress?

...Tumblr will hear of this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My immediate thought is that the easiest way to have new kids and new trolls in a story without having to explain how they met in the first place is to set the game 'after' Homestuck-the-webcomic and have both groups living on the world that the webcomic cast will presumably create after they 'win'. It would make sense, then, for there not to be sburb in the story, because in Homestuck's hypthetical happy ending, you don't want the world they just got done creating to be immediately destroyed again.

Stoat posted:

Dave and Karkat not in it? I can't finally watch them gently caress?

...Tumblr will hear of this.

Don't worry. Hussie phrased that as the main characters will be different. So the webcomic cast will probably have a cameo or two. Your OTP still has a chance.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I really hope Telltale is handling it though.

I mean, they DID do the Strong Bad game. HOMESTar runner... HOMESTuck... HMMMM.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The tradition of Homestuck fans being able to cosplay new characters less than an hour after their appearance continues to be a thing that happens.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Don't worry. Hussie phrased that as the main characters will be different. So the webcomic cast will probably have a cameo or two. Your OTP still has a chance.

As long as Fedorafreak gets some screentime, I'll be happy.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
How did you get that update? I put $25 in the after-Kickstarter Paypal option, and I haven't gotten anything about it in my email.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A good poster posted:

How did you get that update? I put $25 in the after-Kickstarter Paypal option, and I haven't gotten anything about it in my email.

I'm not sure how the after-kickstarter paypal option worked. I got it since I backed the campaign on KS, and I believe KS auto-mailed it out to all backers.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It doesn't look like PayPal backers are getting the update sent to them with the Kickstarter backers, unfortunately. Maybe a second round of emails will be sent later?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Titty Hero posted:

I really hope Telltale is handling it though.

I mean, they DID do the Strong Bad game. HOMESTar runner... HOMESTuck... HMMMM.

I love Telltale but they're going to be ridiculously busy this year. They're already churning out The Walking Dead Season 2, and they've also taken on Borderlands and Game of Thrones adventure games. They don't always hit the mark, and the chances of them whiffing spectacularly are already awful high with all these irons in the fire.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oxxidation posted:

I love Telltale but they're going to be ridiculously busy this year. They're already churning out The Walking Dead Season 2, and they've also taken on Borderlands and Game of Thrones adventure games. They don't always hit the mark, and the chances of them whiffing spectacularly are already awful high with all these irons in the fire.

They're also working on The Wolf Among Us. I agree, they almost definitely do not have the time or resources to work on the Homestuck game at all, interesting as that would be.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Namco seems like a safe bet, given their collaboration with Hussie and What Pumpkin.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Walrus posted:

Namco seems like a safe bet, given their collaboration with Hussie and What Pumpkin.

But what has Namco done, PC gaming wise? It's mostly been ports of console games, and not the greatest ports either, mostly good but never truly great.

I'm guessing it'll be an indie dev, though there are so many to choose from that any guesses are as much a shot in the dark as the next.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope that's Winnie the Poop 2.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Angry Walrus posted:

Actually, no. Namco was in talks to be the deleoper, but were passed up. They still wanted to do something with Hussie, resulting in GALAGA'S BEAUTIFUL HULL.

24 minutes, apparently.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 1, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Oxxidation posted:

I mean, I'm split here. On one hand, I trust Telltale more than anyone else in the industry to make a good adventure game.

On the other hand, you're right, they are packed to the gills with poo poo to do this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I think it's safe to assume the graphics of the Homestuck game will be pretty simple, and the game itself will probably be wordy as gently caress. Doesn't strike me as a telltale game, really.