Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Joementum posted:

BuzzFeed compiled the 20 worst Fox News moments from 2013. This is still my favorite.

They published a ~traditional marriage~ story with a lesbian couple in the header :cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Is it a thing for lesbian weddings to have 1 person wear a suit? Doesn't that just give in to the "Which one of you is the guy?" BS? Why not just both wear dresses?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

They published a ~traditional marriage~ story with a lesbian couple in the header :cawg:
It's not like Fox News could have known since all lesbians to them are butch and wear nothing but flannel!

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

limeincoke posted:

Is it a thing for lesbian weddings to have 1 person wear a suit? Doesn't that just give in to the "Which one of you is the guy?" BS? Why not just both wear dresses?

I've only been to one and both parties were wearing :krad: suits :confuoot:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

limeincoke posted:

Suits can own. It doesn't really go any farther than that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Joementum posted:

BuzzFeed compiled the 20 worst Fox News moments from 2013. This is still my favorite.

This article reminds me of something about the "white Santa" controversey that bugs me. Everyone forgets the real kernel of madness in that conversation! After saying Santa is white, they say Jesus was, obviously, a white man, and everyone, including Fox's critics, just let's it slide!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

limeincoke posted:

Because some people like suits and other people like dresses

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

limeincoke posted:

When my cousin got married, she wore a more traditional white dress and her wife wore a suit. I remember my dad making a comment about who the man was, and Tammy (cousins wife) slapped the poo poo out of him. It was pretty great.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

limeincoke posted:

Having women only being allowed to wear dresses gives in to that "women should dress like this while men should dress like this" BS. It's their wedding, literally their day, let em do what they want.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, MSNBC sucks as much poo poo as any of the other networks.

You have to be careful not to fall into that trap. Yes they occasionally say stupid poo poo but they always apologize and often get fired/resign (as opposed to zilch at FOX, besides a smug "deal with it"). Yes they have one horrible beltway show full of twits (Morning Joe) and Matthews can be annoying and Ed Schultz (despite good intentions) is sort of a dope, but MSNBC isn't the "same as" the other networks. They're not great, but at least they do apologize and immediately correct the record when they get something wrong. They aren't perfect but they cover important poo poo that the other networks completely ignore.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

This article reminds me of something about the "white Santa" controversey that bugs me. Everyone forgets the real kernel of madness in that conversation! After saying Santa is white, they say Jesus was, obviously, a white man, and everyone, including Fox's critics, just let's it slide!

No, they didn't.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Dr Christmas posted:

Nah, people hammered the Jesus thing pretty hard. Kelly said on air something to the effect of 'the question Jesus's skin color is much less settled than I had thought,' after a multitude of people pointed out that an ancient Middle Eastern Jew wasn't likely to have skin color that people consider 'white'.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This was also 2013

That graph is one of the greatest things I've ever seen

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Good Citizen posted:

That graph is one of the greatest things I've ever seen

They're slipping a bit, IMO. Will they ever beat:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

limeincoke posted:

Yea it's like point number five of Fag Law, carved in stone on Mount Homo (eh? Eeeeeh?).

Or it could be the lady in the suit likes wearing suits.

The world may never know.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beatlegs posted:

You have to be careful not to fall into that trap. Yes they occasionally say stupid poo poo but they always apologize and often get fired/resign (as opposed to zilch at FOX, besides a smug "deal with it"). Yes they have one horrible beltway show full of twits (Morning Joe) and Matthews can be annoying and Ed Schultz (despite good intentions) is sort of a dope, but MSNBC isn't the "same as" the other networks. They're not great, but at least they do apologize and immediately correct the record when they get something wrong. They aren't perfect but they cover important poo poo that the other networks completely ignore.

I watched a little bit of plain old regular news coverage on MSNBC today and was struck by how much it just mainly seemed like "news". Usually I watch CNN to get my "half hour fix of what's going on" in the morning but they're getting noticeably worse and worse every day, so I went to FOX (Obamacare Is Bad) and then over to MSNBC just to see how they cover regular old news.

There really is no comparison and you're right about everything you posted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

They're slipping a bit, IMO. Will they ever beat:

Wait I don't understand what is going on here. Like I get the bar graph, the y-axis is conveniently set at 107M or something.

How is the 8.6% point higher than the 8.8% point?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I think thats :thejoke:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I think thats :thejoke:

i'm glad he pointed it out though, I didn't pick up on it like I did the first graph.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

StandardVC10 posted:

i'm glad he pointed it out though, I didn't pick up on it like I did the first graph.

Lots of great things about the first graph. Mainly the funny difference in graph size, but also the complete lack of acknowledgement that you can have a full time job and be on "welfare".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Lots of great things about the first graph. Mainly the funny difference in graph size, but also the complete lack of acknowledgement that you can have a full time job and be on "welfare".
I'm pretty sure their "welfare" definition includes Social Security recipients and people receiving military pensions and the like.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

FMguru posted:

I'm pretty sure their "welfare" definition includes Social Security recipients and people receiving military pensions and the like.

Yeah there's no way a full third of the country is on full-blown actual welfare.

Here's an article about just that graph. http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/28/dishonest-fox-chart-overstates-comparison-of-we/196618

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

VitalSigns posted:

Wait I don't understand what is going on here. Like I get the bar graph, the y-axis is conveniently set at 107M or something.

OBAMA!!! :argh:

And that's exactly why that graph is the best/worst. I missed it the first time it was posted somewhere in D&D.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
According to the official figures, about 47 million people are on SNAP as of December 6th. A far, far smaller number receive cash welfare, and they're pretty much already all included in the snap figure. Only way you get to 100 million is if you include bullshit stuff but at that point you might as well make it 330+ million because everybody gets something from the government.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I love this story because they're from my city and this made them local celebrities in the gay community, Anchorage represent!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Modern Day Hercules posted:

According to the official figures, about 47 million people are on SNAP as of December 6th. A far, far smaller number receive cash welfare, and they're pretty much already all included in the snap figure. Only way you get to 100 million is if you include bullshit stuff but at that point you might as well make it 330+ million because everybody gets something from the government.

And it's wrong if anybody gets anything from the government, ever. What of it? 330 million people on welfare is 330 million too many.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVMxovKEgI

Enjoy the Year in Glenn Beck from Right Wing Watch.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

VitalSigns posted:

All the times I've seen that graph posted and I never noticed that.

I guess I've always been too distracted by the fact that I somehow missed the 2011 Obama presidency.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sega Saturn posted:

All the times I've seen that graph posted and I never noticed that.

I guess I've always been too distracted by the fact that I somehow missed the 2011 Obama presidency.

Wait, if he wasn't president in 2011, who was?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

I Before E posted:

Wait, if he wasn't president in 2011, who was?

Man I'm dumb. For some reason, even though I knew it said 2011, I for some reason always interpreted it as 2007?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I was going to just skip over this because I thought I'd seen it all but I really enjoy his subtle portrayal of an exasperated man just trying to explain that current the state of the U.S. a lot like Lady Liberty on the ground gurgling blood after being wounded in an action movie. He does his own gurgle sound effects.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

No Glenn Beck conversation is complete without

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuwNU0jsk0

Right Wing Radio Duck. A guy takes clips from 50 different Disney cartoons to tell the story of Donald Duck listening to Glenn Beck and I won't spoil the rest.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
When I see stuff like this I get all giggly, because my first reaction is that it's so hammy and stupid that there's no way anyone can believe it. Then I remember that it's my own people who believe all this, regardless of how nice they are and so on. It's not just the facts being wrong or whatever, it's how horrible his delivery is, haha. I mean it's so loving hammy. He's like the third-string understudy for Lord Haw Haw or something. It's not whether what he's saying is even plausible it's just that he's so loving bad at delivering it, heh. Of course, obviously this is not true for everyone.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I don't know that I would consider Beck to be bad at the delivery. He does it like a preacher or someone giving a testimonial to convert you to Jesus at a Lay Witness Mission event at a church. For whatever reason that type of thing hits the spot for some people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know...this clip was the first time I ever actually watched Beck do anything, and stuffing a flag in the imaginary maimed body of America "In the movies...this is when the person...dies" with that catch in his throat just made him look like a whiny baby.

But maybe it wasn't effective because I'm not his target audience.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Keep in mind: he's paid $30m/yr for that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
People who like Glenn Beck REALLY like him. Like, "end up weeping openly in front of you as they talk about how good his heart is" like him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind: he's paid $30m/yr for that.
I reckon they save a lot on production value.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ufarn posted:

I reckon they save a lot on production value.

And fact-checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

ReindeerF posted:

When I see stuff like this I get all giggly, because my first reaction is that it's so hammy and stupid that there's no way anyone can believe it. Then I remember that it's my own people who believe all this, regardless of how nice they are and so on. It's not just the facts being wrong or whatever, it's how horrible his delivery is, haha. I mean it's so loving hammy. He's like the third-string understudy for Lord Haw Haw or something. It's not whether what he's saying is even plausible it's just that he's so loving bad at delivering it, heh. Of course, obviously this is not true for everyone.
That's the thing that gets me about Glenn Beck. Some people try to defend him by saying it's all just an act for entertainment, but if so that makes him an even worse person, because there absolutely are people who 100% believe his harmful bullshit, and that would mean he's throwing out his divisive nonsense into the world purely for cynical personal gain.