Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I would also demand to inspect all your dorsal weapons array cards for proof you spent $70+ on the gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So what can I do with five Jem'Hadar fighters and the United Forces AO?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So what can I do with five Jem'Hadar fighters and the United Forces AO?

See, I would initially say "Finally, enough ships that suicide attack seems like a good plan!" But then I think about only having 1 ship with it, and how I would do something dumb to get the ship with suicide attack equipped ship into position

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

See, I would initially say "Finally, enough ships that suicide attack seems like a good plan!" But then I think about only having 1 ship with it, and how I would do something dumb to get the ship with suicide attack equipped ship into position

That's definitely funnier than my "Just spend all ten extra points on a flagship" idea.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That's definitely funnier than my "Just spend all ten extra points on a flagship" idea.

Take the named attack ship, put Sar on it, the rest will be the normal Attack Ship

One with Luaran and Suicide Attack on it,

One with Generic with Boheeka,

Then 2 generic captains

edit: now I kinda want to try this build

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 23, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It turns out you can't spend that extra 10 points from United Forces on anything but Upgrades. That in mind, I went with this:

United Forces

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Generic Captain
Boheeka

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Generic Captain
Breen Aid

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Generic Captain
Breen Aid

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Generic Captain
Breen Aid

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Generic Captain
Breen Aid

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 24, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It turns out you can't spend that extra 10 points from United Forces on anything but Upgrades.

booooo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hideki attack squadron preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLTb7-RUXbI

Har they gave it a half-assed clix dial.

Looks pretty good though. I'm not going to say best resource yet, but pretty good.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 25, 2013

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
Those fighters do look fun. I'm thinking about trying a 2 ship Cardassian build with it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think I just found a great way to make Suicide Attack effortless to pull off.

United Force

5th Patrol Wing with Independent Flagship (Dominion reverse)
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Photon Torpedoes

Jem'Hadar Fighter
Luaran
Photon Torpedoes
Suicide Attack

Jem'Hadar Fighter
Sar
Photon Torpedoes
Suicide Attack
Toman'Torax

Deploy in a V formation with Dukat's ship in the rear. First turn, full forward, lead ships lock on and fire Photon Torpedoes. Depending on how the enemy maneuvers in turn one, the next round have all ships do 1forward maneuvers, with Luaran's ship activating Suicide Attack. Use the flagship's ability to steer her into the ship you need to explode most. Turn three, repeat or adjust tactics as needed.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Hideki attack squadron preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLTb7-RUXbI

Har they gave it a half-assed clix dial.

Looks pretty good though. I'm not going to say best resource yet, but pretty good.

That's more expensive, but hits harder than I expected. Good balance, I'm into that

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wave 8: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1092520/new-wave-info-8-borg-queen-ship-enterprise-e-val

STAR TREK: ATTACK WING QUEEN VESSEL PRIME BORG EXPANSION PK
STAR TREK: ATTACK WING U.S.S. ENTERPRISE E FEDERATION PACK
STAR TREK: ATTACK WING VAL JEAN INDEPENDENT EXPANSION PACK

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wave 8: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1092520/new-wave-info-8-borg-queen-ship-enterprise-e-val

STAR TREK: ATTACK WING QUEEN VESSEL PRIME BORG EXPANSION PK
STAR TREK: ATTACK WING VAL JEAN INDEPENDENT EXPANSION PACK

I assume the elite talent with chakotay will involve a spirit journey or something

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yesssss.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think I just found a great way to make Suicide Attack effortless to pull off.

United Force

5th Patrol Wing with Independent Flagship (Dominion reverse)
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Photon Torpedoes

Jem'Hadar Fighter
Luaran
Photon Torpedoes
Suicide Attack

Jem'Hadar Fighter
Sar
Photon Torpedoes
Suicide Attack
Toman'Torax

Deploy in a V formation with Dukat's ship in the rear. First turn, full forward, lead ships lock on and fire Photon Torpedoes. Depending on how the enemy maneuvers in turn one, the next round have all ships do 1forward maneuvers, with Luaran's ship activating Suicide Attack. Use the flagship's ability to steer her into the ship you need to explode most. Turn three, repeat or adjust tactics as needed.

So thanks to christmas, I now have 3 dominion fighters... probably going to give this a try, need to actually show up to a OP to get the flagships though

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rav Laerst, the ultimate ED ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6VtlSjCMk

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Erectile Disfunction is rampant among the Breen.

That Elite Talent is loving boss.

And putting Cold Storage on Romulan Science/Scout vessels can turn them into some serious motherfuckers.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Well, that looks fantastic. I envision $50 going to eBay at some point in February :-/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Well, that looks fantastic. I envision $50 going to eBay at some point in February :-/

That's a defeatist attitude. Go to an OP event and seize it, like a warrior!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

That's a defeatist attitude. Go to an OP event and seize it, like a warrior!

I tried that once

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I too, have experienced the bij of continual loss at OP events.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Eh, it's getting better, difficult to get my schedule to line up with the OP events in the area.

Also, cool to see some actual preview coverage for the rewards, can't say i'm 100% jazzed it's in youtube video form, but hey, it's an easy way to monetize, so I'll like & subscribe etc

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

With attrition being so important to OP5, and my desire to win the Rav Laerst mighty, here's my attempt at a cheese build.

Independent Flagship 1 (Kraxon)
+1 Attack, Hull, Shields
Text: After your Flagship moves, you may target 1 friendly ship at rage 1, which may perform a 2nd action listed on its action bar as a free action.
+[Evade]
+[Crew] +[Tech]

Kraxon
Jean-Luc Picard
-Counterstrike
Konmel

Negh'Var
Gul Dukat
Hikaru Sulu
Boheeka
Advanced Weapons System

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

With attrition being so important to OP5, and my desire to win the Rav Laerst mighty, here's my attempt at a cheese build.

Independent Flagship 1 (Kraxon)
+1 Attack, Hull, Shields
Text: After your Flagship moves, you may target 1 friendly ship at rage 1, which may perform a 2nd action listed on its action bar as a free action.
+[Evade]
+[Crew] +[Tech]

Kraxon
Jean-Luc Picard
-Counterstrike
Konmel

Negh'Var
Gul Dukat
Hikaru Sulu
Boheeka
Advanced Weapons System

Is there a list of places that are doing events for this or Star Wars? I'm having a hell of a time finding people to play against.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a list of places that are doing events for this or Star Wars? I'm having a hell of a time finding people to play against.

Your best bet is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1444752/star-trek-attack-wing/organized-play

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Where U at?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm in Charleston SC, and there's only 1 or 2 local game stores nearby.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

I'm in Charleston SC, and there's only 1 or 2 local game stores nearby.

Call 'em or visit. If they ain't running 'em, offer to. The OP kits aren't that costly and it's easy to recoup with entry fees, plus whatever knock-on effect it has for sales and interest.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
The OPs at the game store I go to are run by my friends and do exactly that. An OP kit is like $35 for our store's owner, and he makes the money back from 7 players. Not to mention, we all buy our ships nearly exclusively from him.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Can I run a fake game store from my house and just buy all the kits?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Where should I go from the base set, expansion-wise? I doubt I'll be able to get out to any OP things, but I would like to have a few extra ships lying around. Should... Should I just buy them all?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Can I run a fake game store from my house and just buy all the kits?

If you're willing to open a retailer account with the distributor and able to verify you are a "real" store with them, and keep up the required minimum product orders from the distributor, including the minimum orders of STAW product to order the STAW kits, then you could do this in theory I guess. But it's probably just easier to eBay the prizes at that point.

apophenium posted:

Where should I go from the base set, expansion-wise? I doubt I'll be able to get out to any OP things, but I would like to have a few extra ships lying around. Should... Should I just buy them all?

I mean if it's no thing to you, really no reason not to. They all have at least one good upgrade or the ship itself is pretty cool. Otherwise nothing wrong with focusing on a faction. There are still some with advantages that others lack, but as of Wave 2 they are all starting to fall into place.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OP4 WINRAR BUILD AT MY VENUE:

Defiant
Sisko
Attack Pattern Omega
Cloak
Spock
AM Mines

Ent D
Picard
Sulu
Scotty
AM Mines
Uhura
Photon Topredos

Flagship Resource (indy/scan)

He took Unified force but for some reason neglected to spare up the 5 points to make this a strike force. And yet still won.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alright, here's what I came up with as a completely off the wall change of pace for the OP "Off Month" in January.

As the Dominion War rages, it is a time of opportunity for the Pakled. Every abandoned hulk and wreckage field is a treasure trove of salvage for their ingeniously cobbled-together ships or trade with Ferengi merchants. Using press-ganged crews and substandard ships, Pakled clans compete for this bounty.

SETUP:
75 point constructed fleet using the normal fleet construction rules. No two ships in the fleet can be the same class of vessel. OP Resources will NOT be used for this event. Your fleet cannot be fewer than 75 points.

In addition to the their fleet, each player constructs a “Salvage Sideboard” of up to two weapon and two equipment upgrades totaling up to 20 points. These upgrades may not have a printed restriction that absolutely restricts them to a specific type of ship (IE Suicide attack). If they have an additional cost when not deployed to a particular type of ship (IE Defiant Cloaking Device) that additional cost is counted against the 20 points.

Place the planet token in the center of the play area. The players then take turns placing the 4 salvage objective markers. Each marker must be placed within range 2 of the planet token and no closer than range 1 of any other salvage token. Salvage tokens count as obstructions.

Before Each round, each player hands their fleet construction sheet and all cards, ships, and relevant tokens to their opponent. Each player then plays the fleet constructed by their opponent during that round, returning it at the conclusion of the round, after a winner has been determined and fleet points totaled.

Special Rules:
A ship that ends its movement in range 1 of a salvage token may salvage as a free action. That ship lowers its shields, and the player picks up the salvage objective marker from the play area, placing it next to his ship cards. If the ship performing the salvage had a scan token next to it, that player may take one upgrade from his Salvage Sideboard and add it to that ship, ignoring any limits or restrictions.

Objective:
Eliminate the opposing fleet.
Add 10 Squadron points to your final score for each salvage token you have collected.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 30, 2013

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
I really want to try out a suicide bug build with Kirk, Uhura, Cheat Death, and I Stab at Thee. I'm thinking I might run it with the Krayton and another bug. Naturally, I'd have to speak in a Zek voice as DojiSuave does whenever he narrates the Ferengi's actions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2014/01/02/star-trek-attack-wing-wave-3-4th-division-battleship/

Space :catdrugs: as an upgrade.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

No new weapons?! Also, no Founders? Perhaps the they aren't real...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

No new weapons?! Also, no Founders? Perhaps the they aren't real...

They say it includes another copy of the polaron beam, and 5-die (+2 on the battleship) torpedoes.

And yeah I was kind of expecting Female Changeling to be like the big Skill 8 on this. Maybe the one this summer.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

They say it includes another copy of the polaron beam, and 5-die (+2 on the battleship) torpedoes.

And yeah I was kind of expecting Female Changeling to be like the big Skill 8 on this. Maybe the one this summer.

I kind of want it to come with another Weyoun, preferably with yet another ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I kind of want it to come with another Weyoun, preferably with yet another ability

That would only be cute if they gave them different names and you could field them all.

• Locked thread