Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotsingles-73963224

Pretty proud of this victory. I battled this same guy/team a couple times earlier but kept making bad decisions. This time I played a lot better and managed to pull off a win.

I probably would have been hosed if Cloyster didn't survive that Dazzling Gleam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Friend
Sep 2, 2011
I'm going to add all of you guys! Feel free to add me too. My fc is 4270-1886-0640. I don't know what my safari is though.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Squinty posted:

Just finished the story, anyone's welcome to add me. 3110-5365-8072

Blhue posted:

I'm in basically the same boat, so... 4768 7629 8819

Friendly Friend posted:

I'm going to add all of you guys! Feel free to add me too. My fc is 4270-1886-0640. I don't know what my safari is though.

Added all of you.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
There haven't been any updates on the box/transporter since they pushed them back, have there? I just want my lousy torterra. :smith:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Unfortunately not, but yesterday they re-added the Poke Transporter to the Japanese eShop, so when they add Bank, the international release isn't far behind. It'll be by the end of the month.

Hopefully.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Ubers stand no chance against mega-lucario:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-73998605

No idea why he didn't send in Aegislash to force lucario out. Maybe he thought I had crunch (I don't).

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Blhue, your safari is normal with Teddiursa, Kecleon and Eevee.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Added everyone between my last post and this one. (Again) My friend code is still 4570-8350-9044 if people want to add me in return. Safari gives out Lampent, Pumpkaboo and Spiritomb.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Kelp Plankton posted:

90% of the time we're playing in a doubles format with four players,

Going to reply as a super tryhard:

Drop Golurk, Greninja, Absol, Chesnaught, Aurorus. They will do absolutely nothing for you or your partner in multis ( I can give specific reasons why but this post is already bad enough :v: ). I would tell you to drop Gengar as well, but I don't want to deny you that white chocolate despite it being bad for everybody involved (Gengar is so incredibly weak in a Doubles environment). Raichu can do some cool things but requires a specific strategy/execution that you probably wont get if you guys aren't playing with static partners in multis either.

Your idea seems to be comprised of "Three non-mega pokemon to draw 2 of, and a mega to compliment", which is fine, but given the nature of multis you need an entire team of complimentary pokemon that function to support or operate regardless of your team player. I would suggest Telepath Medicham as one of your other megas, and supplementing your non-mega roster with any one of the major pranksters that aren't Klefki (so Liepard, Sableye, Meowstic-M, Whimsicott).

A lot of this also kind of depends on how you guys approach multis and what their preference toward pokemon are as well, but there's already enough here to work with.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Emalde posted:

Going to reply as a super tryhard:

I agree with your drop choices except Greninja. Greninja works in doubles as long as it is the fastest thing on the field (and most of the time, it is). Be wary if you're using Mat Block, however. Mat Block is easily countered by anything that has priority (mach punchers, fake out, prankster taunters) and ends up leaving Greninja open and vulnerable like an idiot. On the other hand, Greninja's ice beam is a guarenteed OHKO on the other popular doubles Pokemon, Garchomp.

The concept of bringing multiple Megas in order to play puzzle-fit during pre-game is a good concept. Mega Gengar does require a lot of support in order to survive in a metagame full of priority abuse and sucker punching Mawiles, but it's going to wreck face as long as you give it enough breathing space. M-Kanga works in any situation and can easily punch holes in your opponents teams with Return and Sucker Punch. It's also enormously hard to take down unless your opponent specifically has a M-Kanga counter. Mega-Absol does not work in a Doubles/Multi environment, mainly due to its typing and not so stellar ability. While bouncing back certain moves sounds great on paper, it does not work if your opponent knows to not target the thing with the dumb wings and head scythe.

I've got no comment on Mega Blastoise. It rules and I hope you have Aura Sphere on it. :v:

While a prankster supporter isn't exactly necessary, it's best to have at least one as support for yourself and your partner. Meowstic-M hard-counters Talonflame with Quick Guard and can also toss around Charms and triple screens. Liepard can fake out faster than any other prankster and pretty much counters every other prankster with taunt outside of Whimsicott. Whimsicott has the fastest taunt and can abuse Worry Seed to completely neutralize opponents that heavily rely on their abilities like Mega-Mawile or Mega-Kangaskhan. Sableye is a hard to kill monster that has access to taunt, !!priority recover!! and Will o' Wisp, which helps negate a lot of physical threats.

Don't use Chesnaught and Aurorus. They die too easily by priority moves (brave bird and mach punch respectively).

avlein fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 1, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I haven't been thrilled with Chesnaught and Aurorus anyway so I've got no problem just dropping them entirely. The thing with the Megas is that in 4 player double battles every player gets a mega, so I want to be sure I've got some options there but I'm not always using one.

I can drop Absol out of the Megas though, that sounds like a good idea. I can just rework him or drop him entirely.

Meowstic-M and Whimsicott sound fun though, I'll get started with those guys. Our group is pretty inexperienced except for one other player who's kind of been slowly showing us how to play better by introducing more advanced battle stuff. I don't want to totally overwhelm everyone else right away- player experience ranges from 'i like this cat one' to 'i play on pokemon showdown regularly' so keeping things fun but not frustrating can be tricky- but it will be good to have some options to shut him down whenever he decides it's time to teach us something 'fun'. And some strong support pokemon to help out 'weaker' players I get paired up with.

But since things are really casual I can also theoretically run some funky gimmicks if there's any of those you guys think would be fun for a less experienced group but maybe not totally viable for competitive play.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Here's the team I've been running hog wild with to generally favorable results:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74038439

Sidenote I hate your Wish Eviolite Chanseys and I hate you

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"don't smash"
"lol ok"

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotsingles-74040870

What else did he expect?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I was breeding some Jolly Charmanders to try the nature out, and ended up hatching a shiny. The IVs are pretty good (25 / 31 / 31 / 26 / 10 / 31) and he has Outrage/Dragon Dance/?Belly Drum?. Now I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to go for a full 252 in speed, or make use of the nature bonus to cut some speed EVS and add more bulk. I assume the speed tiering sheets out there for level 100 roughly translate to level 50 situations, and it would just be a matter of picking out specific threats to outspeed? I feel like Charizard is really squishy in general, but CharX has that base 111 defense which ends up being 130ish with the IVs so trying to bulky WoW might be worth it.

Anybody have a CharX setup that'd suit this guy?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

You not smashing and thus allowing him to win with Garchomp?

Basically:

i poop fire posted:

I was breeding some Jolly Charmanders to try the nature out, and ended up hatching a shiny. The IVs are pretty good (25 / 31 / 31 / 26 / 10 / 31) and he has Outrage/Dragon Dance/?Belly Drum?. Now I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to go for a full 252 in speed, or make use of the nature bonus to cut some speed EVS and add more bulk. I assume the speed tiering sheets out there for level 100 roughly translate to level 50 situations, and it would just be a matter of picking out specific threats to outspeed? I feel like Charizard is really squishy in general, but CharX has that base 111 defense which ends up being 130ish with the IVs so trying to bulky WoW might be worth it.

Anybody have a CharX setup that'd suit this guy?

252 ATK/252 Speed/4 HP. Nothing else works unless you want to be outsped by other base 100s. On another note, you'll never beat a Garchomp unless you got a dragon dance off beforehand.

Charizard X will never be able to run bulky sets due to his regrettable typing, so the best you can do is go for pure offense and try to beat everything that is sub-100 speed into submission with Outrage/Flare Blitz. If you were playing doubles, then a bulky WoW set would work due to the AOE damage reduction with Earthquake/Rock Slide, but you'll have to drop Outrage.

Charizard X works best when nothing on the field outspeeds him. If you grab a single dragon dance off, you might as well pat your opponent on the back and say gg, because a single +1 to Charizard's speed is almost enough to allow you to get a clean sweep.

avlein fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 1, 2014

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's beautiful.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Blhue, Please add me. I need HA eevees for my team.

FC is 0473 - 7914 - 2690

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've got you added. If you've friended me then you might have mistyped my code, since it hasn't accepted it yet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh cool. I was busy last night, but I'ma have time to hit up the corner cafe and add everyone this afternoon. If you could leave your pokemon on for a bit today, it would make me happy, as I'm pretty sure eevee is a third slot pkmn.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hello, I'm looking for Friend Safaris. Any of them will do. Mine is Psychic with Abra, Espurr, and Girafarig. FC is 2680-9056-7682

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Actually, you can get away with a sort of bulky Char-X set. I use:

248 hp, 84 sp.def, 176 speed
Jolly
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Will O Wisp
Roost

Fire/Dragon's a pretty good type. Just don't be dumb and switch it into Earthquake users and you're golden.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I added Bihue too. 1075 2075 4322

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I would also like some HA Eevees, Blhue! Would you mind adding me back?

4227 - 1528 - 0730

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Red Suit posted:

Hello, I'm looking for Friend Safaris. Any of them will do. Mine is Psychic with Abra, Espurr, and Girafarig. FC is 2680-9056-7682

You might wanna start by friending the people over the last few pages who've shared their codes. I just went ahead and friended the people who asked who weren't already friended on my end.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
Adding my friend code to the pile: 3995 7791 3177

None of my real friends are post-E4 so I have no idea what my safari is like. I bred my first 6 IV pokemon yesterday, too. A surskit. So I can breed some good bugs and golducks, I guess.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
A good lesson about how you can't just take your OU team and expect it to perform well in doubles. His rating is sub 1000 so it seems he still hasn't learned said lesson. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-74069652 No idea why his Mamoswine didn't earthquake when I had Clefable and Victini out though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Remember that in order for someone to successfully make it to your 3DS friend list, you both have to add each other, and the other person is not automatically notified if you add them. So if you add someone and you want them to add you back, you have to make sure they know.

Previously when the volume of people talking about FC sharing got very large I decided to ask people to take it to the trading thread (linked in the OP)... Since it's just after Christmas and there are probably a fair few people who've just got a copy and want to expand their friends lists, I'm not going to get all grumpy about it right now, but do remember that the trading thread exists and it's the main place to arrange trades.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reality posted:

Adding my friend code to the pile: 3995 7791 3177

None of my real friends are post-E4 so I have no idea what my safari is like. I bred my first 6 IV pokemon yesterday, too. A surskit. So I can breed some good bugs and golducks, I guess.

Saturday Mornings posted:

I would also like some HA Eevees, Blhue! Would you mind adding me back?

4227 - 1528 - 0730

Speedboat Jones posted:

I added Bihue too. 1075 2075 4322

Friendly Friend posted:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I added you and everyone else for the last few pages. My FC is still 3566-2487-9854

Added you guys. FC is here:

Red Suit posted:

2680-9056-7682

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ok, seeing as it would be very difficult to get a hyper voice eevee into XY, I'm thinking about switching it out for Echoed Voice, which I can breed onto it normally. Instead of 90 power, it's got 40, +40 for each consecutive turn you use it [max 200]. That actually kind of makes sense for what I use the eevee for, right? [if i'm not wishpassing, i just use Special Bulk Up over and over as long as they'll let me, til I can sweep a team with hyper voice]

Is this the worst idea, or a decent alternative? It's another sound-based move, which is pretty important, because when the opponent Substitutes up and tries to turtle, that is usually the best time to go for broke with a calming spree. This thing has been eating gligors alive.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Ignite Memories posted:

Ok, seeing as it would be very difficult to get a hyper voice eevee into XY...

If you wait for the Bank to open up it will be as easy as taking a hidden ability Eevee to the move tutor in B2/W2 (or use PokéGen to bypass the whole process). Hyper Voice Pixilate Sylveon is worth the hassle.

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?
Added everyone from this page and the last. My FC is 0645-7046-1975 with Boldore, Pupitar, and Rhydon in my safari. I don't think those guys are in high demand but you never know.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Stay tuned for the next episode of Skarmory vs Blissey:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74075372

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Millions posted:

If you wait for the Bank to open up it will be as easy as taking a hidden ability Eevee to the move tutor in B2/W2 (or use PokéGen to bypass the whole process). Hyper Voice Pixilate Sylveon is worth the hassle.

I don't have BW2, and don't really want to buy it. I trudged through BW1 because I wanted to transfer some SS pokemon, and I don't think I can go back to old exp share again. I also don't really want to go through the breeding process on BW2, and figure out what the dream world thing does.

I think about just trying to trade for one, but I really want to be the OT on all my final pokemon so I can change their names freely.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

I don't have BW2, and don't really want to buy it. I trudged through BW1 because I wanted to transfer some SS pokemon, and I don't think I can go back to old exp share again. I also don't really want to go through the breeding process on BW2, and figure out what the dream world thing does.

I think about just trying to trade for one, but I really want to be the OT on all my final pokemon so I can change their names freely.
Trade for one then breed it?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, found out some stuff involving Foul Play's mechanics that are kind of weird but useful in knowing effective ways of fighting Mandibuzz and the like:

I couldn't easily find this on smogon or serebii's 'attackdex' entries.

dude on nuggetbridge posted:

Actually, Foul Play does not take into account the target's status, ability, or item, but rather the user's, oddly enough. It's only the target's stat boosts (like from Swagger) that are taken into account.

If the user of Foul Play is burned, the damage will be halved. Except if the user has Guts, then the target's Attack stat will be multiplied 1.5x

If the user is holding a Choice Band, the target's Attack stat will be multiplied 1.5x when calcing damage.

If the user's ability is Pure Power, the target's Attack stat will be multiplied 2x when calcing damage.

I.e. Burn that dumb bird.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So I was just wonder traded a whole lot and then suddenly I got a Bold Shiny Hidden ability poliwag. What are the chances I got a hacked one?

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Ignite Memories posted:

Ok, seeing as it would be very difficult to get a hyper voice eevee into XY, I'm thinking about switching it out for Echoed Voice, which I can breed onto it normally. Instead of 90 power, it's got 40, +40 for each consecutive turn you use it [max 200]. That actually kind of makes sense for what I use the eevee for, right? [if i'm not wishpassing, i just use Special Bulk Up over and over as long as they'll let me, til I can sweep a team with hyper voice]

Is this the worst idea, or a decent alternative? It's another sound-based move, which is pretty important, because when the opponent Substitutes up and tries to turtle, that is usually the best time to go for broke with a calming spree. This thing has been eating gligors alive.

The only problem with this is that you'll have trouble with physical attackers. Echoed Voice goes back to minimum power every time you switch, which is kind of dumb because of how important switching is, but the fact that your setup is going to cause it to jump from 78 to 152 power in the first turn, which is a pretty drastic increase. Sylveon is probably the best user of this setup but it's still a pretty serious gamble.

My advice would be to raise his HP and defense EV's because even though his weaknesses aren't that significant, people will inevitably switch in scizors and jirachis on you to try to kill him in one hit. Scizor is common enough that you might want to put a HP Fire on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fiend Computer posted:

So I was just wonder traded a whole lot and then suddenly I got a Bold Shiny Hidden ability poliwag. What are the chances I got a hacked one?

Is there a small blue pentagon to the left of the markings on its status screen? If so, it's legit.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

I think Poliwag is (was?) one of the Pokemon you can catch with that fishing glitch that greatly increases the chance of a Shiny, and you can find hidden ability Pokemon in hordes. So it's certainly possible to find one legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fiend Computer posted:

Does it have the pentagon on the status page? If it does 0. If it doesn't who the gently caress cares if it doesn't have impossible moves.

• Locked thread