Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

#1 Christmas present. Not the dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know what prompted me to do this but last night after our game I took my camera out on the ice and shot some videos of myself messing around. I think, other than a handful of "tape days" from when I was a teenager, that this is the first time I've ever seen myself skating. It is honestly kinda weird.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

I don't know what prompted me to do this but last night after our game I took my camera out on the ice and shot some videos of myself messing around. I think, other than a handful of "tape days" from when I was a teenager, that this is the first time I've ever seen myself skating. It is honestly kinda weird.

It's really weird. Also fun. I need to do it again with a better camera.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Last time I did that was with a parachute on for resistance skating. A few laps with that on and my flaws became so obvious. Ugly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been on the ice 4 of the last 5 days. :feelsgood:

Unfortunately only 2 of those skates was I productive in terms of pucks in a net, but all of them were fun.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I have decided my favorite beer league player is this guy..

"I'm gonna slash you 10 times in a row, but if you retaliate...you are a loving "psycho goon" and I'm going to "kill you" if you do that again"

Those guys are the best

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

poser posted:

"I'm gonna slash you 10 times in a row, but if you retaliate...you are a loving "psycho goon" and I'm going to "kill you" if you do that again"

Those guys are the best

LOL yes I never understood those guys. We had a guy like that in one of our leagues but it was obvious he was just off his meds. The next season after that he was totally normal. :iiam:

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
Decided I'm going to play hockey tonight even though I'm starting to come down with a cold in hopes that it makes me feel better. Hockey fixes everything right?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

poser posted:

Those guys are the best

According to the other captains in my league I am that guy because my teammates stand up for me cause ~team spirit~

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dyn posted:

Decided I'm going to play hockey tonight even though I'm starting to come down with a cold in hopes that it makes me feel better. Hockey fixes everything right?

If that virus wants to stick around, it's gonna have to put up with some hockey.

I haven't met a virus yet that chooses to stay.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Weird question but does anyone know of a stream for the Red Wings/Maple Leafs alumni game at Comerica Park today? CBC, Fox Sports Detroit and NBC Sports claim to have it but none are streaming online.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The ice at the Olympic sized rink in Dubai is 1.5" (3x normal) thickness. I have no idea why this is necessary, especially in the desert.

Lake placid team, let's play in a tournament out here.

Hockles you will have somewhere to eat, I've found one of the last remaining Bennegans.

Everyone else, booze in hotels only so pregaming will be required. Also instead of -30f we can survive 40c!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

Everyone else, booze in hotels only so pregaming will be required. Also instead of -30f we can survive 40c!
I'm up for it since I have to deal with that kind of heat all the time here in FL

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd honestly rather go out in -30 degree weather than 104.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I'd honestly rather go out in -30 degree weather than 104.

It's not Dubai outdoor pond hockey.

dyn posted:

The hockey and beer will kill all traces of the virus.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Some rear end in a top hat being aggressive toward girls at a New Years Eve party took exception to me saying "Hey, stop being creepy to those girls" and as a result I'm down a few teeth and got a broken nose. If I can't play this weekend I'm going to be livid.

Hoping 2014 is better for y'all, hockey goons!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

canuckanese posted:

Some rear end in a top hat being aggressive toward girls at a New Years Eve party took exception to me saying "Hey, stop being creepy to those girls" and as a result I'm down a few teeth and got a broken nose. If I can't play this weekend I'm going to be livid.

Hoping 2014 is better for y'all, hockey goons!
:stare:

You're pressing charges right

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

shyduck posted:

:stare:

You're pressing charges right

Yup.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Happy Winter Classic day everyone!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I got back from the McKinney/Dallas Holiday tourney on Sunday. Had a blast.

We pretty much got slaughtered out there. The team was signed up for the "C" league, which in Austin is about comparable to A and AA. Most of the guys were B1 with an A ringer, and I'm at best a low B2 defenseman. Holy hell did I get burned when I made a mistake. I think I tried to pinch too many times, and stepping up at our blue line meant that the puck carrier just had to turn a little to burn right past me. Made mostly smart passes, but a few times I did panic and cough up the puck to folks who knew how to tap it past me. I'm a bit competitive, and have a try-hard switch in an effort to get better as a skater, so most times I felt I hosed up I was kicking myself on the bench quietly: Mostly times the other guys skated around me, or not being back in time to help our goalie (who had a fantastic showing but just couldn't keep everything out that was being thrown at him) with the MANY 2/3 on 1's. Mostly I didn't want to stick out like a pylon, and I did hear once or twice from the other teams bench "Heads up, that wing's on the ice", but over all I was too busy skating my rear end off to really care, at least when I wasn't grimacing from the 3 slapshots I took off the bridge of my feet.

On the bright side: I had a really good redirect goal on the back post, a tripping penalty, and one really good dangle around two guys. So at least I was on the box scores. And I was unanimously not the worst player out there on my team, that honor was bestowed upon the long-lost lovable rear end in a top hat who tried to play goalie in front of our goalie and coughed up the puck just as much as I did. The team said for a guy that just started skating out 2 years ago, I'm doing really well, mostly thanks to my observation of others of how to play from my time as a goalie. It's given me a little confidence to try out for the next league up as a skater, which funnily enough is where my goalie skill level is comfortable as well.

If anything it's given me a little perspective on what I should work on to get better: More heads up hockey with the puck, don't reach to poke-check, read the play better to know when to pinch and when to back-check, and don't glide when you're receiving a pass.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 2, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just found out yesterday that my contract at my job was terminated so you know what that means? Someone gets to finally play some mid day hockey.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Oh god, I'm registered for an adult instructional league that starts on Sunday morning. Oh god, I have to wake up early on Sunday mornings.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Oh god, I'm registered for an adult instructional league that starts on Sunday morning. Oh god, I have to wake up early on Sunday mornings.

Worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't worry, there's 34 other initiates hitting the ice with you so you'll blend right in.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
When I started playing, the first clinic I took was at 7:00 AM on Saturdays, it ruled.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Thufir posted:

When I started playing, the first clinic I took was at 7:00 AM on Saturdays, it ruled.

This. It's fun telling lady friends that you have to get up to play hockey after spending the night, too.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Don't worry, there's 34 other initiates hitting the ice with you so you'll blend right in.

Quit stalking me!

Seriously though, you must be on the mailing list or know someone in the program.

And my girlfriend is well aware of this, she prodded me to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, I'm a pro internet stalker.

(you previously posted you had bought skates at Canlan Romeoville, I've been in the AIL there since last January so I know the next session starts this Sunday, it was a simple deduction!)

It really is the best never-ever program in the Chicago area, and given how much time I've spent trying to find ice around here I feel pretty confident claiming that.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I figured. How information dense do the chalk talk sessions end up being?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only went to one, they're a recent addition and most of them were scheduled for times I was on the ice.

But it was pretty laid back, she just talks about positioning and each player's role in the various phases of the game. It's mostly so they don't have to waste ice time telling people the theory. Which is good because the clinics are never long enough.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Do you get many skaters from the city?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Which is good because the clinics are never long enough.

Let's be honest here, any ice time is never long enough.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you never get off the ice, you can never drink beer afterwards

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Just drink beer on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minto Took posted:

Do you get many skaters from the city?

There's a couple, but most everyone seems to come from the southwest suburbs. A few come from the cornfields, there's even an insane dude who drives up from the Bloomington area every week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

128 skaters for the instructional league this session. At 13 skaters a team, that's just under 10 full teams. :monocle:

Lotta slow fat guys in Chicago want to learn to play hockey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

128 skaters for the instructional league this session. At 13 skaters a team, that's just under 10 full teams. :monocle:

Lotta slow fat guys in Chicago want to learn to play hockey.

What rink?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canlan Romeoville.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Speaking of instructional leauge, I get to go into it after a twelve hour day of disassembling, loading, unloading, storing, and generally cursing out two truck loads of arcade games during a snowstorm.

At least I'm getting a nap.

xzzy: I'm the Shane in the rookie group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Holy tired/fun/HUNGRY.

I'd have to say the best part about the on ice stuff was that we had goalies. The cross ice/end scrimmages were incredibly fun and the 10 minutes each was alotted wasn't nearly enough.