Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Well as I said he's very polite about it! And does a lot of work too fortunately.

He's from some kind of consultancy background and is pretty hyper hyper in general - I don't think that kind of person even comprehends the issue as he'd just clock another 30h that week or something.

But it's like night and day compared to our last manager who's on leave now. She'd carefully consider everything before any kind of commitment. I liked that. :(

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
My boss is a VP. He also just celebrated his 20th year with the company. He couldn't get fired unless he dropped trou and took a poo poo on the CEO's desk. Even then he'd probably just get mental health leave. He realizes this, and is never afraid to say no. Love it!

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I'm pretty sure that my boss is just on his way out and doesn't care.

Anyone who wants vacation for anything up to two weeks could just take it. No figuring out backup or anything like that. Instead we sent out an email about a week or two ago that if other teams didn't log their tickets to us by the 20th, they won't get worked on or even looked at until after the new year.

:yotj:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So we just outsourced a load of stuff to the 3rd world. Reasoning, its cheaper for those guys to do it than to pay some professionals here to do it. lovely but from a business point of view it sounds fair enough.

One of these particular tasks is quite expensive.

The client sends us a whole bunch of information. Fairly expensive professionals go through it and make some decisions, they pass these decisions onto a lowly member of clerical staff who looks up relevant codes and pops those into the system, they then send out some mail to the client letting them know what the decisions were.

Guess which part of this is the least costly? Yep putting the codes into the system, it takes literally 5 minutes, probably less if the person doing it hasn't lost the will to live.

Guess which part got outsourced? Yep, putting the codes into the system. You see the company doesn't trust the 3rd party outsource company to make these decisions (and rightly so) so it sends the clerical work over.

However being in the middle of Asia or wherever and being cheap as gently caress lowest bidders a good grasp of English isn't on the list of things the 3rd party outsources do. So they don't get mail sending privileges.

Also they might gently caress up and that might hurt the company's image and cost money so someone has to check and make sure they did it right cause its kinda important. Those guys who had their work outsourced haven't got anything to do, they can do it.

Result?

Fairly expensive professionals do their work the same, for the same costs as before. They then send it to the clerical team.

The clerical team set up a work order for the outsourced company, who then go into that, type in the relevant codes on the system and send it back to the clerical team to check. The clerical team check the outsourced work then if its right send out the relevant mail to the client and if its wrong send it back to the outsourced team to correct it.

Its a bit of a cluster gently caress, but hey if it saves the company money maybe its worth the hassle? And at least all the dudes in Clerical still have a job right?

Well no. Gathering up the information to open the work order takes almost exactly the same amount of time doing it does. Adding in checking the work and sending the mail at the end and the Clerical staff spend longer on each client than they did previously. Also, somehow, the outsourced firm appears to be awesome at negotiating contracts as they get paid twice for each code they put in, gently caress knows how but apparently that is how the contracts written. Per task, they were meant to be 60-75% cheaper. If they get paid twice they are 20-50% more expensive, and that's before you factor in the costs of the clerical team making the work order, checking the outsourced work and sending mail.

I hope whoever decided this was a better way to do things gets fired. Out of a cannon. Into a wall.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

The clerical team set up a work order for the outsourced company, who then go into that, type in the relevant codes on the system and send it back to the clerical team to check. The clerical team check the outsourced work then if its right send out the relevant mail to the client and if its wrong send it back to the outsourced team to correct it.
How long has this been going on? I know when my last company outsourced, we had a transitional period where we checked on their work quality for about 8-10 months. Gradually they were deemed good enough to become more autonomous.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Working as a local hire for a company that outsources work to India.
Outsourcing is only cheaper if it is bulk amounts of similar work that can be repeated a 100 times with only a single setup cost. Outsourcing an activity that requires setup for each single instance is more expensive no matter what. Also is it common to be something like 50% cheaper and then take more then twice as long if the task is complicated.
Seriously, outsourcing can work if you are not expecting loads of variations.

Another reason to do outsourcing is a lack of skilled labor locally, this has little to do with money. If I can have 250 people doing work added to my project in three weeks time, while I would need to find those same people (or only 75) locally it would take half a year or more and the salaries would rise massively due to scarcity. Thus outsourcing also keeps local labor cheap.

For the last two and coming one week, I was working as a replacement of someone who is on a holiday. Before he left, he told me to ONLY do x, y and z and under no circumstances should I work like I was in the lead or pick up tasks a, b and c. He will not be happy when he returns in a week as I did not just a, b, c, x, y and z but also grabbed a bunch of other stuff to make sure our department keeps looking good and to take bloody ownership of the process where everyone else was just staring at each other sheepishly.
Then I told my colleagues that I don't care if I gently caress up, as that is the worst case scenario. Medium case is that I will be chewed out, best case is praise. Any case, I will have additional experience to put on my CV, which I will need soon because the guy who's orders I am ignoring is my boss.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I removed work email from my phone on the 15th and haven't set it back up yet despite getting back from Mexico on Sunday :woop: I work Friday for one day, then a weekend. All the projects I handed off are done and basically nobody runs things over the holidays so I have no idea what I'll be doing on Friday.

I still haven't found out why they fired the other in-house PM nor what the fallout from that will be. I don't care. The new year is my push for a sizeable raise (thanks for that extra bargaining power firing 1 of our 3 PMs, boss!) or else I'm out the door.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Soooo this might be some tl;dr but

The president of the company called me this morning, right at 8:30am to bitch at me about something that needs to be done RIGHT NOW that is totally out of my control. No hello, no asking how the holiday was. Complain complain complain why isn't this done yet what is taking so long etc. etc. etc. after I've explained ad nauseum that it is the holiday season and a lot of the offices I depend on for these documents are closed right now. I know it sounds pretty inconsequential, but he has been so disrespectful to everyone in the office in so many small ways that it really set me off. 2013 has been a really bad year and we're suffering the consequences of a lot of his awful business decisions. A lot of our consultants have left the company because of his decisions and the policies he's implemented over the past year. He's been totally off his rocker yelling at people and micromanaging something fierce, trying to 'fix' everything. Also he hates Christmas because that means he has to give us a day off. He literally called Christmas a 'disaster' and went on and on about how awful it is and how we need to be here no matter what. No, what happened in the Philippines is a disaster. Syria is a disaster. Giving your employees a day off is not the same thing. He is a really awful human being and yes I am looking for another job.

After this last straw of him being a dick, I started doing some looking around. Our consultants are paid a per diem on top of the wages to cover their living expenses. Their assignments can be short term and this means they have to travel a lot as part of their job. Totally legit, this makes sense and is easier from an accounting standpoint than giving all of them company credit cards. I found out that some of the office staff are paid a per diem, too. The permanent office staff, my coworkers, that live right down the road. The catch is that only my Indian coworkers are getting this per diem. It's an average of an extra $1800 a month in untaxed income. That's more than my net monthly pay. The only two people in the office who don't receive it are myself and the only other non-Indian employee. :what: I did some math and figured that if I had been paid that same per diem since I was hired, I would have taken home $54,000 in extra (untaxed) income. It might be about double that for the other non-Indian employee because she's worked here longer than I have.

I have no idea what to do now. Should I just cut my losses and leave? Get a lawyer? Report them to the DoL? Florida has some real FYGM legislation in terms of employment law. There's no state Department of Labor, either. Happy Holidays, guys. :geno:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ask them why you are not getting it while everyone else is. Don't let them know that you know the other white girl doesn't get it either. Try to do this via email or record the call (check legality of this) or something so that when they say that only Indian people get it that you can get them on racial discrimination. Is the owner Indian by chance?

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Trastion posted:

Ask them why you are not getting it while everyone else is. Don't let them know that you know the other white girl doesn't get it either. Try to do this via email or record the call (check legality of this) or something so that when they say that only Indian people get it that you can get them on racial discrimination. Is the owner Indian by chance?

All of the other employees minus myself and one person are all Indian, as in from India. The president of the company is also Indian. I work for an H1-B consulting firm, and I was originally hired on as a receptionist because they wanted an American-sounding woman speaking unaccented English answering the phone. I didn't mention it explicitly, but yes both myself and my other coworker not receiving the per diem are white. We manage a couple hundred off-site consultants with an office staff of about 10.

Florida is a right to work at-will employment state, meaning that you can be fired at any time for any reason. Workers' rights in this state are pretty much non-existent. As much as I would like to simply confront them and watch the pants-making GBS threads, that would also jeopardize my job.

EDIT: clarification

EDIT EDIT: Fixed the terminology mess-up. I've heard right to work referred to as right to fire a lot of times. Sorry for the mixup!

Poop Cupcake fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 26, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Poop Cupcake posted:

Florida is a right to work state, meaning that you can be fired at any time for any reason.

At-will employment is the term for that. Right to work deals with union busting.

People keep making this mistake and it irrationally irritates me to no end for some reason, so I must correct it every time I see it. Nothing personal.

You should talk to a lawyer and see what's possible for your situation. Gather as much written proof of the situation as you can and show it to them.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Poop Cupcake, that sounds like an issue that might be racial discrimination, or it might be because everyone else is on an H1B, or it might be because he likes them better as employees, blahblahblah. I wouldn't take up a pay discrepancy with the labor board. Especially not in Florida. Especially not before you have another job. Can you prove (or make a good case) out of this? I seriously doubt it, although I would love to be proven wrong.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If there's an employee manual, that would be something to look at. It would let you know if the other office workers are getting the benefit when it's against the handbook, or if you should be getting the benefit. Or maybe there's something weird to explain why they get it and you don't.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

The other office staff all have their green cards, and it's only the consultants who are on visas. There's no real immigration reason why they would be getting a per diem. It's not mandatory for the immigration process, it's just the way we reimburse our consultants for their travel costs. It's easier than expense reports and less headaches than company credit cards. There's no employee handbook or written company policy about anything. It's all fly by the pants sloppy.

I would love to be wrong and have this be all some stupid misunderstanding. It's hard, though, because this industry is so incredibly discriminatory. There's a lawsuit working its way through the courts about it now regarding discriminatory hiring practices. Infosys, a big Indian consulting company, has had some legal trouble in the past relating to shady immigration and discrimination. I hope they get slapped big time for it, but that's probably not going to happen. Nobody wants to talk about it or even acknowledge that there's a problem. This isn't a case of just one company acting illegally/unethically - these practices are 100% real and business as usual across the industry. If your name isn't Indian sounding, your resume won't get looked at. Recruiters will pass you over without a second thought. You won't get placed with clients. If you do manage to get hired, you won't be promoted. It goes as far as flooding job-seeking websites with fake ads and conducting fake interviews to satisfy immigration requirements. That's probably a post unto itself. It's difficult to reconcile the idea that this could simply be an administrative oversight with the reality of how these type of companies operate. :sigh:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Silly question, but do any other employees have the same job as you and the other employee? It might just be that he considers you a secretary and not worth the same compensation, or at least that's how he'll spin it to any investigators.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

The business culture here is really different, and it doesn't seem like it's occurred to the president of the company that American employees can and will leave if we feel unsatisfied. He does a lot of shady poo poo to his Indian employees and they roll over and take it, for the most part. I don't want to bring it up to them until I have an out in case it really goes south.

I started here as a receptionist two and a half years ago and other stuff ended up getting dumped on me in pretty short order. I got laterally promoted to a managerial position with the title and responsibilities, but not a raise or a change in desks (I'm still up front acting as the receptionist on top of the actual work I do). Part of why I felt so angry yesterday with that bullshit phonecall is that I'm getting hassled about all of this poo poo he wants me to do that's totally out of my hands. There's a lot on my plate, and I have to juggle a bunch of different roles (like reception) because he's too cheap to hire on more people. Yet, I'm not being compensated in the same way as other people in the office who have similar job roles (or do less than I do but still get the extra $$$$). They've made a lot of promises to me about pay raises or moving desks that have never come to pass. The other non per diem employee has the same rank, title, and responsibilities as other people who are receiving the extra compensation.

It wouldn't be a surprise to him if I confronted him about the discrepancy because I have access to all of our HR and payroll information as part of my job. In fact, I was doing the payroll for a while, too, but for a different set of employees and not involving the office staff. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It's a lot to think about.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Your situation sounds like it could become the textbook example of racial discrimination. If you don't feel safe raising it until you have another job fair enough, but when you do then definitely let whichever government agencies deal with this kind of thing know about it.

Given the sums of money involved, I'd also suggest getting a consultation with a lawyer immediately if you can afford to, and try to find one who deals with employment law/disputes. If nothing else, they'll be able to tell you whether you have a case and whether it's civilly (or even criminally) actionable over and above notifying the relevant government agencies.

edit:
Corrected nonsensical autocorrect typo :mad:

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 27, 2013

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

rolleyes posted:

Your situation sounds like it could become the textbook example of racial discrimination. If you don't feel safe raising it until you have another job fair enough, but when you do then definitely let whichever government agencies deal with this kind of thing know about it.

Given the sums of money involved, I'd also suggest getting a consultation with a lawyer immediately if you can afford to, and try to find one who freaks with employment law/disputes. If nothing else, they'll be able to tell you whether you have a case and whether it's civilly (or even criminally) actionable over and above notifying the relevant government agencies.

A lot of lawyers offer a free consultation, so you may as well check on these things no matter what.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
hahahahahahahahahahaha yeah good luck with THAT

Poop Cupcake posted:

both myself and my other coworker not receiving the per diem are white.

She (I assume Poop Cupcake is a woman) would do much better to allege gender discrimination.

Poop Cupcake posted:

The permanent office staff, my coworkers, that live right down the road. The catch is that only my Indian coworkers are getting this per diem. It's an average of an extra $1800 a month in untaxed income.
It's actually not untaxed. What's happening is that they're working as contractors, meaning that they get issued a 1099 form and they're supposed to do their own taxes. An employee, who gets a W-2 form, has taxes taken out of every paycheck, with the amount based on an estimate of what you'll owe; usually you end up owing less, which is why you get an income tax refund.

quote:

Should I just cut my losses and leave? Get a lawyer? Report them to the DoL?
Actually, probably the IRS (and whatever Florida state agency is responsible for collecting taxes.) It won't get you any extra money, but it will screw over every one of them that hasn't paid taxes (probably most of them, who are just pocketing the extra money and ignoring income taxes because "I thought those were for Americans".)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Miss-Bomarc posted:

and whatever Florida state agency is responsible for collecting taxes.

There's no state income tax in Florida, so they should only have to contact the IRS.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
The purpose of the per die. Is to reward the contractors. You are operational support. Why should you get paid are diem?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

The purpose of the per diem. Is to reward the contractors. You are operational support. Why should you get paid are diem?

Actually, the purpose of a per diem is normally to cover unavoidable daily expenses. Things like food and lodging for contractors who are working away from home. That's why it's a designated amount per day instead of being part of the regular pay, even if in the long run it gets treated as earned income just like wages.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I started a new job a few weeks ago. I'm supposed to work 7.5 hours per day and it's basically up to me what time I come in, as long as I hit my daily deadlines (I have reports that I need to send at certain hours). So I've been coming in at 8:30 and I'll probably start coming in at 8 next week. But my boss and cubicle neighbors come in at least 30 mins later, so I'm usually ready to leave at 4 pm while they're still working. I don't even have enough assigned work yet to properly fill my afternoons, my last deadline is at 2 pm and after that I have some "cleanup" type stuff to do to get set up for the next day, but I'm usually sitting around not doing much for the last hour of the day. That's probably going to change in a week or two, but I still feel weird being the newbie in the team and leaving before everyone else. I've tried asking my boss if there's anything else I can help with, but she just tells me to enjoy the downtime while it lasts...

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

jkk posted:

I started a new job a few weeks ago. I'm supposed to work 7.5 hours per day and it's basically up to me what time I come in, as long as I hit my daily deadlines (I have reports that I need to send at certain hours). So I've been coming in at 8:30 and I'll probably start coming in at 8 next week. But my boss and cubicle neighbors come in at least 30 mins later, so I'm usually ready to leave at 4 pm while they're still working. I don't even have enough assigned work yet to properly fill my afternoons, my last deadline is at 2 pm and after that I have some "cleanup" type stuff to do to get set up for the next day, but I'm usually sitting around not doing much for the last hour of the day. That's probably going to change in a week or two, but I still feel weird being the newbie in the team and leaving before everyone else. I've tried asking my boss if there's anything else I can help with, but she just tells me to enjoy the downtime while it lasts...

I've said those words ("enjoy the downtime while it lasts") before and meant it. Don't sweat it. If anything, take the down time as an opportunity to learn more about your new company or freshen up some knowledge/skills that are rusty or that you've always wanted to learn. Or test out process improvements that you could present to your boss. Things like that.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

jkk posted:

If they all leave later than you, then you're already there when they all come in, and they know it. Don't worry about it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm pretty similar at my office. I'm usually there by 8:30 and leave at 5. Some of the people on my team show up around 9:30, and then bitch when they see me leave at 5 because they stay until 6. Sorry, but I'm not "slacking off" because I leave before you...get here earlier, then you can leave at 5. I brought it up with my boss because I was getting tired of the passive aggressive comments, he said not to worry. Being there early is more important than staying late

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

I'm pretty similar at my office. I'm usually there by 8:30 and leave at 5. Some of the people on my team show up around 9:30, and then bitch when they see me leave at 5 because they stay until 6. Sorry, but I'm not "slacking off" because I leave before you...get here earlier, then you can leave at 5. I brought it up with my boss because I was getting tired of the passive aggressive comments, he said not to worry. Being there early is more important than staying late

This reminds me of some questionable advice my father gave me when I started my internship at the lab I work for. "First in, last to leave; that's how you get ahead." Which I think is terrible advice that just leads to overwork and lack of quality since it puts a heavy emphasis on just putting in the hours. Turns out that the better advice would be "do your job well, find better ways of doing it and apply it on visible projects."

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'd say it's generally good advice when starting a new job. This is assuming there's not some monster that is consistently working 12 hour days.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Omne posted:

Being there early is more important than staying late

...except when the person is only there so they can coast for the first couple hours of the day, and then actually start working when other people show up. I had a couple former jobs where people were supposedly starting at 6:00 - 6:30 in the morning. Coincidentally, when the boss (who also got there at 6:00a) finally shuffled out of his office and meandered over around 8:00 (when I'd start my day) they'd finally exchange "good mornings." One guy specifically told people not to visit him in his cube for 45 minutes after he came in because that was his time to eat (and had a shelf full of breakfast cereals at his desk). There seemed to be an understanding amongst the early risers that work didn't actually start when they got to the office, but actually started an hour or two later.

Of course, I'd hear passive-aggressive complaints on certain days for leaving at my usual time - after arriving that morning at my usual time - in the event that one of the early risers was staying late (past their usual ~3:30p leave time) to finish up their work. Well stupid, maybe you wouldn't have to stay late if you actually started working when you came into the office instead of knocking off the first hour and a half of the day to eat breakfast, look for a used car, or watch sailboating videos on youtube.

bytebark fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 29, 2013

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

bytebark posted:

...except when the person is only there so they can coast for the first couple hours of the day, and then actually start working when other people show up...

I am guilty of this but mainly because [a] my workload isn't heavy enough to fill out an 8 hour day and [b] I hate my job.

So I get to work at 6:00am, spend a couple of hours posting on the forums or playing on my phone then log into the system at 9:00am, work until lunchtime and then slack off for an hour or two and go home at 2:00pm. And despite all the completely unproductive time in my day I still manage to keep my intray and inbox empty and all my work up to date.

God, I need a new job in the new year.
:negative:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

cyberia posted:

I am guilty of this but mainly because [a] my workload isn't heavy enough to fill out an 8 hour day and [b] I hate my job.

So I get to work at 6:00am, spend a couple of hours posting on the forums or playing on my phone then log into the system at 9:00am, work until lunchtime and then slack off for an hour or two and go home at 2:00pm. And despite all the completely unproductive time in my day I still manage to keep my intray and inbox empty and all my work up to date.

God, I need a new job in the new year.
:negative:

Could be worse.

I had a job where I was similarly overproductive, except (1) it was payroll and my only busy days were Monday and Tuesday (and by busy, I mean several hours one day and maybe two the next, and part of that waiting on managers to turn in corrections at the last minute before processing) and (2) internet was totally locked down except for the company email and I had to leave my door open, which meant I couldn't even read a book (unless it was somehow professionally related, like going through tax code updates :cry:). This was pre-iPhone---you may remember the expensive, lovely smartphones of the early 2000s---and as for computer internet access... if I wanted to access a website, I had to specifically ask the IT manager to unblock it and I'd have to justify the business reason for her letting me look at it.

All that and the company was extremely strict about punctuality (in getting in, not so much leaving). So most of my week was spent waiting on people to give me what I needed to do my job, then finishing said job pretty quickly, and having to constantly pretend I was going over timesheets or reports for most of the day. Not to mention the operations manager, who was responsible for giving final approval on the factory workers' submitted hours and assembled pieces, hated that part of his job and waited till the last minute to do it (and liked acting as if he were doing me a favor), didn't bother making sure the numbers were accurate, and always pinned the blame on me if I didn't magically realize a given group's rate had changed or someone's payrate had changed despite payroll never receiving anything.

That was six months of the worst job I'd ever had (and I worked telemarketing). I woke up every morning full of dull dread and went home wanting to just shut down. What I wouldn't have given to have my iPhone and unlimited data package back then.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It's actually not untaxed. What's happening is that they're working as contractors, meaning that they get issued a 1099 form and they're supposed to do their own taxes. An employee, who gets a W-2 form, has taxes taken out of every paycheck, with the amount based on an estimate of what you'll owe; usually you end up owing less, which is why you get an income tax refund.
Yea, you aren't allowed to do this with H-1B employees - they aren't independent contractors, they have to be full company employees on regular payroll. Characterizing them as independent contractors would also seriously gently caress up the right to control that is required. So if they are giving out the per diem on this basis, they are still running afoul on immigration regulations.

Poop Cupcake, if your employer is running an H-1B placement agency (which is what this sounds like - getting people in on H-1Bs and then sending them out to third party sites to do their work) they are almost certainly loving up their DOL compliance paperwork. Even completely legit companies mess it up with the best of intentions, I would guess these guys aren't properly filing LCAs posting them at job sites (way to check - have they been posting wage and hire information in a visible place in the office whenever they're bringing people on?)

This means that you can potentially report them to the DOL specifically for H-1B noncompliance. This has the advantage that the DOL hates these companies and the complaint won't fall into the endless black hole that many job complaints go to. It is very likely that an inspector will come out and they'll end up fined and watched.

Of course, this won't actually improve your compensation, just hurt the company. And the two of you will be under suspicion of having reported them. So, uh, just something to keep in mind whenever you are on your way out and want to burn some bridges!

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

There is nothing worse than being bored like that. It's like being in time out all day. Also that last minute approval poo poo can get right the gently caress out.

AFAIK they're compliant on the LCA posting. The boss is super anal retentive about immigration compliance while at the same time engaging in a lot of other shady and possibly illegal business practices totally outside of my complaint about compensation issues. He is terrified of an inspector coming out, but I don't want to see this place crash and burn without trying to get the pay issue straightened out. If that doesn't pan out, all bets are off. This per diem thing here is so much more complicated than I realized with the taxes angle. The per diem for contractors is being spent on business-related travel and lodging expenses, but the office staff here are just pocketing it. It's basically a way to pad their income while keeping them in a lower tax bracket. Even if I successfully argue for an equivalent raise, I'm still at a disadvantage because I'd be paying taxes on my income while my coworkers don't. I'm going to talk to a lawyer about it.

EDIT: typos

Poop Cupcake fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 30, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
In general, it's pretty obnoxious to email someone at 11pm the night before to demand a meeting the next morning, but it feels particularly egregious when it's is New Year's Eve and the office isn't even open that day...

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Xandu posted:

In general, it's pretty obnoxious to email someone at 11pm the night before to demand a meeting the next morning, but it feels particularly egregious when it's is New Year's Eve and the office isn't even open that day...

Is there a reason that "oh dear, I didn't see your email because it came in so long after office hours" won't cut it? I mean I'm often in bed by 11pm.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That one meeting has become 3+ meetings (over the phone, thankfully), cause god forbid anything get pushed in 2014.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

martyrdumb posted:

My boss is a VP. He also just celebrated his 20th year with the company. He couldn't get fired unless he dropped trou and took a poo poo on the CEO's desk. Even then he'd probably just get mental health leave. He realizes this, and is never afraid to say no. Love it!

We were joking about this at lunch at work a while ago and I jokingly wondered aloud if I'd have to walk up and piss on the CEO's desk to get fired. This with the CTO and company comptroller at the table.

One of the materials engineers said "nahhh, but you'd probably need a pretty good excuse, like that you were drunk or something." Then realized she'd just stated that being drunk at work was a good excuse for pissing on the CEO's desk.

Everyone dissolved in laughter. No, we don't work drunk or piss on the CEO's desk, fortunately.

This. This is why I love startups and love my job.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
On Tuesday I just couldn't take it anymore. Maybe it was the 7:45 AM to 7:15 PM schedule. Maybe it was the ever growing stack of work to be done. Maybe it was just exhaustion. By 1PM for no apparent reason I can identify I had tears rolling down my face. I told my manager I was taking the rest of the day off as a sick day. Manager told me that when I get back on Thursday I had better take lunch at my desk.

Ha-ha...ha-ha-ha-ha...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Xibanya posted:

On Tuesday I just couldn't take it anymore. Maybe it was the 7:45 AM to 7:15 PM schedule. Maybe it was the ever growing stack of work to be done. Maybe it was just exhaustion. By 1PM for no apparent reason I can identify I had tears rolling down my face. I told my manager I was taking the rest of the day off as a sick day. Manager told me that when I get back on Thursday I had better take lunch at my desk.

Ha-ha...ha-ha-ha-ha...

He was joking right?