Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

oldskool posted:

If the starters win, great, that's their job. If the starters lose, you tried your best.
If the backups lose, you threw a game. If the backups win you're an idiot for not starting them.

You don't bench a guy unless he's hurt or he's so ineffective that you have enough backing to survive the "Why are they starting this scrub he sucks/why hasn't this guy been starting all year?" questions. It's all perception.

When you are eliminated from the playoffs, your goal should instantly be for building your roster into next year. Real game evaluation of what you have on your bench can be crucial for determining how you will move forward. Also, putting your star players out there subjects them to risk of suffering a serious injury for no actual return. Why play AD when you know there is a limited amount of wear a running back can sustain in his career. Conserve those miles for when he has a better roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
The problem I have with playing the bench is you will likely hurt any trade stock that you had with them. The majority of the time they are on the bench because they are worse than what's currently available and had the preseason to prove they were better. I have literally never stopped wanting the Jaguars to win because a good coaching staff can make the draft work for you despite position in it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
One of the major problem with Frazier is that the guys on the bench (e.g. Patterson, Cassel, Cole, and Rhodes) were better than the guys he had starting. Some coaches become loyal to their guys even when it's a detriment to the team.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Sataere posted:

When you are eliminated from the playoffs, your goal should instantly be for building your roster into next year. Real game evaluation of what you have on your bench can be crucial for determining how you will move forward. Also, putting your star players out there subjects them to risk of suffering a serious injury for no actual return. Why play AD when you know there is a limited amount of wear a running back can sustain in his career. Conserve those miles for when he has a better roster.

Some players have milestone incentives in their contracts. If you bench them when they had a reasonable chance on hitting them, I'm going to assume the current players and some possible free agents won't look to favorably on that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Knightmere posted:

Some players have milestone incentives in their contracts. If you bench them when they had a reasonable chance on hitting them, I'm going to assume the current players and some possible free agents won't look to favorably on that.

Clearly there is a balance. I don't think you have to bunch guys the entire season after they are eliminated from contention. Hell, I think if a guy has a chance at an incentive, you have to try helping him achieve it. It only helps you attract free agents. But the guys you should be bringing off the bench should be replacing guys who are under performing. They aren't hitting incentives. They are the reason you are out of contention.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Not sure how to feel about this possibility:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Biased as an Aggie fan, but he showed a hell of a lot of, ughhh, leadership tonight. He was in everybodies face when they hosed up.

He'll still get creamed if he depends on his escapist magic though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
He's going to get drafted really early by a team with a shaky o-line and get eaten alive, I fear. But I think I'd rather have him than Derek Carr. No clue about Bortles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Todd McShay just said that Blake Bortles is his #1 QB because of The Clutch Factor.

ESPN has groomed him well.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One team will draft Johnny Football and it'll be great.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PrinceRandom posted:

Biased as an Aggie fan, but he showed a hell of a lot of, ughhh, leadership tonight. He was in everybodies face when they hosed up.

Houston will probably draft Bridgewater or Clowney, but we already have a line with Duane Brown, Chris Myers, and Brandon Brooks, with two drafted picks from last year that had to go on IR. Between Foster and Nuk/Andre, Manziel would have some great weapons to work with.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Every other year or so there's one of these smug pricks and you just hope they get a starting job because it's either gonna be entertaining as gently caress if they succeed or full of Schadenfreude. You can't lose, so long as your team doesn't draft the guy.

The Pickles phenomenon.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you don't love Manziel and want him to own on your team for whatever length of time then you're an objectively bad fan of football. That was awesome.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Manziel is a good quarterback and showed a wide variety of good and bad aspects about him tonight. His touchdown that closed the gap before the pick six showed a great pre-snap read followed by a pretty poor throw that happened to work out. Didn't plant on his back foot, threw wide, and flicked it. It landed perfectly. It's stuff like that which makes me hesitant about him learning in the NFL. A lot of his stuff is just plain wonky but he's so good with it that it works out. You can't really ask him to change it because I'm not sure if it'll shatter whatever magic he has if he sets to throw with a firmly planted back foot while he's scrambling. That's the difference between him and a guy like Rodgers or Newton, being able to deliver rockets while on the move.

Dunno, just screams great college QB but might be a disaster in the pros. I'd give him a chance though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't really get into college sports, so I've seen limited Manziel. It seems like in an ideal scenario he can make all his goofy poo poo and being short work in the NFL and becomes a less dull Russell Wilson, and in all the other scenarios he gets repeatedly sacked for 20 yards and throws a pile of interceptions before finally getting Pat Whited. Does anyone more knowledgeable see some other path to success for him? It really seems like you're betting on him becoming a guy who has only existed a couple-three times in NFL history (Tarkenton, Wilson...maybe there's a third short, scrambling bullshit artist).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If he's going to go top-five (which is pretty much guaranteed at this point) then I'd like him to go to Houston. They seem like they'd have the best O-line out of all the teams who need a QB right now. Plus the whole STAYING IN TEXAS narrative, and that he's about as opposite of Matt Schaub (the very definition of bland) as you can get.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

CVagts posted:

If he's going to go top-five (which is pretty much guaranteed at this point) then I'd like him to go to Houston. They seem like they'd have the best O-line out of all the teams who need a QB right now. Plus the whole STAYING IN TEXAS narrative, and that he's about as opposite of Matt Schaub (the very definition of bland) as you can get.

Or, you know, Teddy Bridgewater.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was just saying that Manziel's best destination would be Houston because of their offensive line. I acknowledge that Bridgewater is the better prospect.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Doltos posted:

Manziel is a good quarterback and showed a wide variety of good and bad aspects about him tonight. His touchdown that closed the gap before the pick six showed a great pre-snap read followed by a pretty poor throw that happened to work out. Didn't plant on his back foot, threw wide, and flicked it. It landed perfectly. It's stuff like that which makes me hesitant about him learning in the NFL. A lot of his stuff is just plain wonky but he's so good with it that it works out. You can't really ask him to change it because I'm not sure if it'll shatter whatever magic he has if he sets to throw with a firmly planted back foot while he's scrambling. That's the difference between him and a guy like Rodgers or Newton, being able to deliver rockets while on the move.

Dunno, just screams great college QB but might be a disaster in the pros. I'd give him a chance though.

translated for all the dummys that only watch the nfl or late bowl games: johnny football is unequivocally the best qb in this draft and it isn't even close

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm steadfast with Bridgewater being tops but I'm willing to have an open mind for Bortles too (but not for McShay's dumb as poo poo reasons). The other QBs are not really on the same tier for me, although there will definitely be 4-5 QBs taken in the first two rounds for sure this year, unlike last year. Although I guess that depends on if Hundley declares or not. I can't imagine Mettenberger falling out of day 2 either. I still think Carr can rebound too with a strong senior bowl and combine. GMs seem to like McCarron as well.

You've got Bridgewater, Manziel, Hundley, Carr, Mettenberger, and McCarron all possibly going rounds 1-2. I know I'm forgetting someone too. The 2nd round COULD possibly be really fantastic for teams like the Steelers who can afford to redshirt a QB behind Roethlisberger.

e: I guess I'm forgetting the super reach laugh-a-minute possibilities like Logan Thomas, Stephen Morris, etc.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 1, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roasted Donut posted:

translated for all the dummys that only watch the nfl or late bowl games: johnny football is unequivocally the best qb in this draft and it isn't even close

He will also be the best at making plays that cause pages of GDT posts like "Oh gently caress, get up Johnny. He's not getting up is he? :ohdear:"

Edit: AAA Dolfan is smart. Almost missed that one!

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 1, 2014

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm not sure what to think of Manziel. His performance tonight was impressive and I can see why some people are enamored with him. I just worry that as his margin for error decreases, then a lot of those amazing plays will turn into turnovers and incompletions. I also worry that his style will expose him to a lot of big hits, so durability would be a concern. I do think he's someone that can have some big games at the next level, but the question is whether he can be consistently productive.

I also got a chance to see some of Hundley today. He's got a huge arm and he can hurt teams with his legs. I know that the thought on him is that he'll need a little more time to develop, but I hope he declares. Bortles plays in the Fiesta Bowl, so it will be interesting to see whether his play is good enough to make up for his awful name. I really need to start reading up on scouting reports on QBs and try to figure out who I want the Vikings to draft, though that will be easier once we know who the Coach and Offensive Coordinator are.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of these days there will be one of these threads where the Center is mentioned and not dismissed outright.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol, Duke's QB straight up outplayed Manziel through all I've seen of this game so far. Every pass longer than ten yards has more velocity and touch. Also, 19:40 but Von Miller. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDU9KLac-M

AAA Dolfan would be way too smart to do that nonsense.

VVVV About halfway done. 50 posts.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 1, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How long is that toxx for Volkerball

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

I appreciate the cringe involved when you drop that word in football, but holy gently caress if it actually wasn't on display last night.

quote:

Offensive tackle Jake Matthews had never seen Manziel so riled up.

"It was special to watch, special to be a part of," he said.

Fellow offensive lineman Cedric Ogbuehi was just as in awe.

"We forgot how great he is," he said of Manziel. "This game we saw that he is one of the best players in college football history."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hi, sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while. Is there a QB whose name is literally Bortles, because that may be a new bar set for silly names.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bradin Cooks declared. WR's are stacked this draft.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think Allen Robinson is going to declare too. If BOB stuck around, he might've stayed and waited for next year to go higher. But now, with a new coach, new system. and another year of no post-season, gently caress it. Start getting paid asap.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hi, sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while. Is there a QB whose name is literally Bortles, because that may be a new bar set for silly names.
He plays tonight in the Fiesta Bowl! And he's a serious NFL QB prospect to watch.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

DOOP posted:

I think Allen Robinson is going to declare too. If BOB stuck around, he might've stayed and waited for next year to go higher. But now, with a new coach, new system. and another year of no post-season, gently caress it. Start getting paid asap.

He posted 'Welp, it's been real' on his twitter last night about O'Brien so...yeah

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Roasted Donut posted:

Johnny Football rules and Teddy Bridgewater is a boring turd

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Teddy Bridgeh2o has declared according to espn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Roasted Donut posted:

He posted 'Welp, it's been real' on his twitter last night about O'Brien so...yeah
ESPN read that tweet out loud. I've never heard an ESPN anchor say "welp" and now I have.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Volkerball posted:

Lol, Duke's QB straight up outplayed Manziel through all I've seen of this game so far. Every pass longer than ten yards has more velocity and touch. Also, 19:40 but Von Miller. :stare:

I went to high school with Anthony Boone and he was not a good quarterback. At all. I don't know where the change happened.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

zimbomonkey posted:

I went to high school with Anthony Boone and he was not a good quarterback. At all. I don't know where the change happened.

David Cutcliffe is a master.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Interesting. Brugler was the first one calling Fisher the #1 last year. Phil Savage obviously has NFL connections.

quote:

@dpbrugler
I mentioned this last night but BOB saw Bortles up close this year and had HIGH praise for the UCF QB. Darkhorse candidate for No. 1 overall

@MockingTheDraft
I agree with @dpbrugler big time on Blake Bortles being a possible No. 1 pick with Bill O'Brien as head coach in Houston.

@SeniorBowlPhil
Bill O'Brien to @HoustonTexans = UCF QB Blake Bortles (if he declares) in mix for #1 pick overall. Golden Knights beat PSU 34-31 in Sept.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Clowney looking pretty cool in the Capital One Bowl so far

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Johnny Football rules and Teddy Bridgewater is a boring turd

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Quest For Glory II posted:

ESPN read that tweet out loud. I've never heard an ESPN anchor say "welp" and now I have.

Was it Scott Van Pelt because I feel like only Scott Van Pelt could do it justice

• Locked thread