Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So I know comment sections aren't the best source for insight but it seems a lot of fans would like to have Vick as a backup/fire-starter for their potential rookie QB.

Is he really still much better than most backups? I feel like last year his oline was simply atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Intruder posted:

Clowney looking pretty cool in the Capital One Bowl so far
He's showing immense power and disruption despite being regularly double and triple-teamed. He's fuckin goooooood. I totally understand why he doesn't have production; Wisconsin is literally running every play away from him, while STILL double/triple-teaming him.

The one time they didn't, Clowney burst into the backfield and swallowed the RB whole. And they were trying to run off right tackle, away from him. He's just that fast and that strong.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish he'd go to Houston to play with JJ Watt. Have a feeling they take Bridgewater :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Quest For Glory II posted:

He's showing immense power and disruption despite being regularly double and triple-teamed. He's fuckin goooooood. I totally understand why he doesn't have production; Wisconsin is literally running every play away from him, while STILL double/triple-teaming him.

The one time they didn't, Clowney burst into the backfield and swallowed the RB whole. And they were trying to run off right tackle, away from him. He's just that fast and that strong.

On that last Wisconsin touchdown, Clowney drove his two blockers all the way back to the QB, but he was able to step away because there was absolutely no pressure from anywhere else and throw the TD to his wide open receiver

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

John Brown posted:

So I know comment sections aren't the best source for insight but it seems a lot of fans would like to have Vick as a backup/fire-starter for their potential rookie QB.

Is he really still much better than most backups? I feel like last year his oline was simply atrocious.

Vick would be the best backup in the league and could probably still start for a handful of teams.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think the big problem with Vick is his health so I think his best bet is backup and maybe a few packages designed around him specifically

That's an expensive backup, though, I think the only teams that could afford him are the ones with young starters entrenched already (Niners, Seahawks, Bengals, etc.)

E: I would actually take Vick over Dalton but that's neither here nor there

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Clowney might actually be more disruptive in the pro's than in college. In college you can get away with putting that much attention and playcalling around a single guy like Clowney. That won't fly in the NFL. Although he probably won't be breaking the double and triple teams as frequently as he does now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

swickles posted:

Clowney might actually be more disruptive in the pro's than in college. In college you can get away with putting that much attention and playcalling around a single guy like Clowney. That won't fly in the NFL. Although he probably won't be breaking the double and triple teams as frequently as he does now.

Depends. Right now Clowney looks like what would happen if you put a NFL DE in the college ranks. He definitely won't be facing the same triple teams at a NFL level, because no DE ever does no matter how great they are, so he will probably produce more. Only issue is does he have the potential to be even bigger, faster, and stronger as he grows through his 20's.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Clowney will go to the Raiders and will be subsequently ruined

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
First 4 picks are qb's. Clowney falls to Oakland. Draft a 3rd round prospect with the fastest 40 time in the combine for old times sakes. :getin:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

In the NFL the worst OT he's going to face in any given game is likely better than any he's faced at any point in his college career.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm on the Clowney bandwagon at this point but we'll see what happens in the combine

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bewbies posted:

In the NFL the worst OT he's going to face in any given game is likely better than any he's faced at any point in his college career.

Yeah, but he isn't going to be double and triple teamed on every single snap, with the play being designed to go away from him.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

bewbies posted:

But is the worst OT he's ever going to face stronger than two college linemen? Three?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

zimbomonkey posted:

But is the worst OT he's ever going to face stronger than two college linemen? Three?

Depends on whether a team drafts Vishnu. :ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Goddammit the Skins could have had Clowney with that pick. :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Gamecocks just got a stop on 4th and 1 on a run to Clowney's side when he got quadruple teamed and a teammate was free to make the uncontested hit on the RB

e: also on the replay you can see he still stood up the blocker he was engaged with :lol:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Yall are gonna regret your Clowney fascination when ESPN kickstarts its 'Clowney Character Concerns' campaign in a few weeks

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Emanuel Collective posted:

Yall are gonna regret your Clowney fascination when ESPN kickstarts its 'Clowney Character Concerns' campaign in a few weeks

It will last until Manziel is spotted having a beer and then all attention will be on him. So about 4 seconds.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Goddammit the Skins could have had Clowney with that pick. :(

Let's be real here, they would have completely wasted his talent and caused him to retire early and penniless.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'd have to imagine that one of the teams at the top of the draft in need of a QB will draft Clowney instead. Which team is likely to do this? And who are they likely to pursue in FA or trade?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

I'd have to imagine that one of the teams at the top of the draft in need of a QB will draft Clowney instead. Which team is likely to do this? And who are they likely to pursue in FA or trade?

Probably Jacksonville or Oakland. The only (real) QB candidates on the market are Vick and...don't know who else. Cassell and possibly Kyle Orton will be available too but they don't have any real upside.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

John Brown posted:

Rams don't need a QB or a DE!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Rams don't need a QB or a DE!

They're probably going to cut Bradford

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

Or trade down?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

I would greatly enjoy seeing three QB's picked before the Browns at 4.

Even more so because that means the Vikings will be in a really weird position. They have too many needs to trade up, yet will be stuck looking at least the 5th QB. I think by then BPA will be OT but they have zero need there. Ideally I think they would want to go DE but I don't know if I would like what's left enough to pick at 7. Jernigan maybe at DT? I don't know enough of his or Floyd's playstyle to know how that would mix.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Clowney officially declared for the draft after SC's bowl game, if there was any doubt.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

Or trade down?

This is very possible. I doubt they take a QB with the #2 pick; it's more likely Clowney and then either Manziel or Bortles (whichever is still around) with their second first rounder. If they're both somehow gone (which would be bonkers) then they can take Boyd or Fales with their second or Logan Thomas in the third-fourth and sign either Schaub or Vick

The Rams are in a pretty great position if they don't gently caress it up

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A.J. McCarron is skipping the Senior Bowl :psyduck:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benne posted:

Worked for Geno

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I can definitely see the Browns going up to #2. I know there was behind the scenes poo poo with the Browns not being able to get a trade with the Rams for RGIII. But, that was specifically on Holmgren. I think the Rams would be more open this time to trade with Banner/Lombardi down to 4.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Eh it's still $7m in dead money if they cut him, and Jeff Fisher doesn't seem like a coach that wants to groom yet another young QB.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

Eh it's still $7m in dead money if they cut him, and Jeff Fisher doesn't seem like a coach that wants to groom yet another young QB.

I thought Bradford was doing decently before he got hurt anyway.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Benne posted:

That seems like a really poor decision. Guess he's fine with the 3-4th round.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina receiver Bruce Ellington is probably going to declare for the draft. He had his best performance as a Gamecock today, and even though he still has a year of eligibility, he's done with school and I think he's ready to move on.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Azhais posted:

Worked for Geno

...who fell to the 2nd round while E.J. Manuel performed well and was the first QB drafted.

This is not a good decision by any means.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Azhais posted:

I thought Bradford was doing decently before he got hurt anyway.

He's always hurt.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hockles posted:

I can definitely see the Browns going up to #2. I know there was behind the scenes poo poo with the Browns not being able to get a trade with the Rams for RGIII. But, that was specifically on Holmgren. I think the Rams would be more open this time to trade with Banner/Lombardi down to 4.
Spending both of their first round picks on Manziel would be the apex of Browndom.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Benne posted:

I don't even know...

Unless he doesn't want to get shown up???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benne posted:

...who fell to the 2nd round while E.J. Manuel performed well and was the first QB drafted.

This is not a good decision by any means.

:thejoke:

Skipping the Senior Bowl for anything other than injury is a pretty big mistake

• Locked thread