Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

jojoinnit posted:

Oh man, this is the first one that's technically correct but that just makes it worse. Hope she's ready for a lifetime of "Extal".
Nope, the X contains the T so it should be Xal!

Today I saw a Danine. When you really wanted a boy and Danielle just isn't unique enough . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Txhwj Xeeb.

Pronounced something like Shu-Chee. I'm pretty sure it's Hmong, but goddamn, that is a brutal string of consonants.
At least it's not Welsh. That language can get insane.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Orwellian Optimism posted:

Xtal, pronounced as if it were "Crystal". Not joking.

That reminds me of how Robert Christgau has sometimes signed as "Xgau" (in fact if you google for xgau it knows just what you mean).

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Txhwj Xeeb.

Pronounced something like Shu-Chee. I'm pretty sure it's Hmong, but goddamn, that is a brutal string of consonants.

Most definitely Hmong, "Lor" is one of the 18 clan names. "Txhwj Xeeb" means "special".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I remember some kids growing up who always put an x in place of anything that could sound remotely like Christ. Their mom explained it to the teacher that it was a religious tenant for whatever snowflake Christianity they were. I wonder if that is the key to all these names with X as a start.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh man, that kid is not going to have an easy life. Good luck little dude, your going to need it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
My local Red Cross donation center has a Squire Knight III, which always stood out to me. Really, any unusual name that's generational, you know had a parent that knew exactly what reactions it would get.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Saw one today at work: Thaddeus Thunder. loving badass.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

I went to school with a guy named Courtney. His nickname as a little kid was Corky. He went by Cory. It's still lame but with middle and last names Blair Schwebel what else is the guy going to do besides make up a whole new name?

Which he did: FUN.

I wouldn't even share all this info if he hadn't milked it himself for five minutes of fame a few years back. The only place I found the news story about his driver's license issues is here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151646 (A Ford Explorer enthusiast's forum??? Okay.)

The article didn't mention his well-adjusted (read: not applying for pizza delivery jobs at 28) identical twin brother Derek, but I imagine the two of them would be interesting to behavioral researchers somewhere. (Spoiler: their mom was/is nuts)

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
It's been years ago now that I first encountered this one, but it's still funny whenever I'm reminded of there's at least one person out there with the surname Kube-McDowell.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My best friend went to school with an unfortunate fellow by the name of Elvis Hercules.

A few more gems from work:
Malva Juergen
Finny Fung
Adalbert Stipsits
Hugh Dong
Sunny Ho (who is, surprisingly, a man)

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
It somehow never ceases to surprise me when I watch certain Funimation dubbed anime that they have a voice actor named Jerome 57.

opallight
Oct 14, 2013

Inspector Zenigata posted:

So you know a transman? Not sure if that ought to count as terrible.

I believe I should clarify. As far as I suspect, she did it mostly to draw attention to herself (knowing her as a person, it's more than possible that milking for attention was the exact reason for her to claim such things). I realize how my words were insensitive and transphobic, but I assure you I have nothing against trans people.

As for your second statement, two of my friends are trans (women to men), she isn't one of them.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Krimson Tyde

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
When I was a kid, we lived in a largely Vietnamese area of New Mexico. My little sisters best friend was named Bich, pronounced Bic. I'm not really sure why that h is there, seems kinda useless and slightly cruel.

Personally, I've heard the most weird names when I worked in retail. Off the top of my head, there was a guy who had a credit card that said "HEAVY METAL POWERMAN". I'm not sure if that was a Megazone situation or what because I never saw his ID. I guess I was so stunned by the combination of the prospect that that was his real name and the fact that he was a giant dude that looked very much like the state might have changed his name to more accurately reflect his appearance that I never thought to check it.

There was also a lady with the name Anutika Bearsghost. That's cooler than any name I've ever thought of for an RPG character.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

Is that an anime Jenna Maroney?

I think it's a final shot of what the Jackie Jormp-Jomp movie morphed into.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

jodai posted:

When I was a kid, we lived in a largely Vietnamese area of New Mexico. My little sisters best friend was named Bich, pronounced Bic. I'm not really sure why that h is there, seems kinda useless and slightly cruel.
If they're related to the founder of the pen company that might be it, otherwise it's cruel for no reason. His last name was Bich and the company name dropped the H so they wouldn't be selling "bitch pens". Actually it's pretty cruel no matter what to give a kid that as a first name.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

jodai posted:

My little sisters best friend was named Bich, pronounced Bic. I'm not really sure why that h is there, seems kinda useless and slightly cruel.

Probably for the same reason "Bach" has an h.

Content: today the the bank, I had a teller named "Kse". When I asked her about it, she said it was pronounced "Casey". And yes, she is asked about it a lot.

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009
Not sure if anyone else has ever run into this name: Febby. In Minnesota here and met a girl who worked at a restaurant named Febby, and asked her about it. Apparently it's short for February and she has a sister April, and the mom was hoping to have a third girl named January, but instead had a boy who they gave a "normal" name, don't remember what she said it was, but it was something unmemorable like 'John' or 'Mike'.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Douginc posted:

Not sure if anyone else has ever run into this name: Febby. In Minnesota here and met a girl who worked at a restaurant named Febby, and asked her about it. Apparently it's short for February and she has a sister April, and the mom was hoping to have a third girl named January, but instead had a boy who they gave a "normal" name, don't remember what she said it was, but it was something unmemorable like 'John' or 'Mike'.

If they'd only gone for April -> May -> June, they wouldn't be in this mess!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Either a typo or a baby named Hashtag.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Either a typo or a baby named Hashtag.

Poor little fucker. Reminds of this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iolo_Williams whose name is pronounced "yollo" but luckily is old enough now not to get YOLO jokes from any one apart from his kids.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Welp saw one in the wild today I poo poo you not
Amenhotep Bop.

I get the concept you want a strong powerful African name and you know what Amenhotep is a baller name but not if Bop is your last name.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Found these in the Funny Pictures thread. Apologies if any are repeats:

Linked for huge: http://imgur.com/HNMVve4 (safe for work)

...Kazooie? Really?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Hey say what you will if you dated a girl name Shodan you wouldn't loving cheat would you.

Edit: Why is Akuji on there? Or Munch who the gently caress would name their child Munch.

Yes yes hes right here little Munch Jenkins. No I don't know why he cries every time I call his name do you?

Edit Part 2:Isn't Kazooie a girl?

Haruharuharuko has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Jan 1, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

gently caress that, dude, I DARE someone to name their kid Parappa.

Or Um Jammer Lammy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Did they just take a bunch of random "video game character" words for that section? Ding? And without Kazooie, Banjo is just "I guess they really like playing the Banjo" type of Banjo.

Also I now need to go to the PYF things you just realised thread cause I just realised the game characters are actually named after the two instruments… not that it changes the unlikelihood of there ever being a Banjo Ding Johnson "named after the videogames".

Was so weirded out by that I forgot to ask what game Selphie is from and also that it's probably the most plausible when someone thinks it's cute but it'll be from the picture style not a game. Oh and some such as Lara and Paine are already real names.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Jan 1, 2014

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The other thing about video game names is that they borrow from other sources so much, too. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Astaroth is a demon name and Alucard is just Dracula backwards.

I knew a guy everyone called Link and I always assumed it was because of a video game but then I overheard someone ask him why everyone called him Link and he just sighed and said "Do you know what the missing link is? Yeah, that's why."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jenirussticks posted:

I heard one lady call her son Squirrel and i said "oh that's a cute nickname what prompted that one" and she got all butt hurt and said THAT"S HIS LEGAL NAME ...

I knew a legit Squirrel in boarding school too. He was dumb as rocks.

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
Watched american hustle last night and one of the first names that rolled in the crdits was richard suckle

thats right

dick suckle

the ol pump-n-bump has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Jan 1, 2014

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
My brothers were regaling me of a tale that occurred in Vegas while my twin brother and husband and I were out gambling. They go to a restaurant for breakfast (we had already eaten), and our youngest sibling is trying to call over the waiter. He gets a clear look at the guy's nametag: !XZBilea

He tries after a few unsuccessful times of trying to pronounce that, when, jovially, the waiter explains "Sir, it is pronounced '*tongue click*'Bee-lay'. I am Swahili." My brother just blinks and goes "Wait, you have a *tongue click* in your name? That's awesome!" The guy was quite happy to talk to him about Kenya and speak some Swahili to him.

EDIT: My brother's attempt was "Kssssbil-lay-uh".

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Lolitas Alright! posted:

My brothers were regaling me of a tale that occurred in Vegas while my twin brother and husband and I were out gambling. They go to a restaurant for breakfast (we had already eaten), and our youngest sibling is trying to call over the waiter. He gets a clear look at the guy's nametag: !XZBilea

He tries after a few unsuccessful times of trying to pronounce that, when, jovially, the waiter explains "Sir, it is pronounced '*tongue click*'Bee-lay'. I am Swahili." My brother just blinks and goes "Wait, you have a *tongue click* in your name? That's awesome!" The guy was quite happy to talk to him about Kenya and speak some Swahili to him.

That name owns and the waiter sounds like an awesome dude.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lolitas Alright! posted:

This is a bit jacked directly from Carlos Mencia* (who probably stole the joke from somebody else, to be fair), right down to the pronunciation of the name. There are no clicks in Swahili. The only Bantu languages with clicks are the Nguni Bantu languages like Xhosa (Nelson Mandela's native language), which picked them up from the Khoisan languages thanks to geographical proximity.

* It may have been some other lovely comedian.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
You're probably thinking of Russell Peters.

I find it eternally fascinating how many people take comedy routines or other videos/stories they see/hear and make them about themselves.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

gently caress that, dude, I DARE someone to name their kid Parappa.

Or Um Jammer Lammy.

I think the best one on there is Bloodrayne. I'd like you to meet my kids, Bloodrayne and Dethknell.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Axiem posted:

You're probably thinking of Russell Peters.

I find it eternally fascinating how many people take comedy routines or other videos/stories they see/hear and make them about themselves.

I probably am but I don't remember the Swahili part in his joke. Also, Russell Peters owns.

For content, I saw a name that was basically a badly misspelled name of a country. It's too unique, but imagine naming your kid Amurikuh.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008
Clients of my workplace:

Kevin and Barbara Knipple
Mark Whitehead

I have a woman coworker whose middle name is Xavier. We validated this by carding her. Her first and last names are completely normal.

No poo poo, I know an Amanda who named her children Aeris and Vincent. She is highly unstable and recently has begun to contend with her own mother for custody of those children. Oh and her (soon-to-be-ex-) husband is ~15 years her junior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

James Trickington posted:

I have a woman coworker whose middle name is Xavier. We validated this by carding her. Her first and last names are completely normal.

I've known two girls who both had male middle names, those being James and Stewart. They were both named for their respective grandfathers. Maybe she had a similar thing going on?