Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know! White pickups on a tobacco sunburst bass with a black pickguard???
How gauche!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^^ i waited like two months for a set of those for my guitar... sounded fine and looked great (hideous, but great) under a blacklight but they went to poo poo really fast

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do they really make strings for Ashborys anymore? I remember being shocked by how full those little guys sounded, but good luck with your intonation on that tiny scale.

well it's a fretless so intonation is basically all on me anyway, it's pretty good

and yeah you'd be surprised, you can get all sorts (since the ashbory is still in production i think?), though the pahoehoes are shortscale softer bass uke strings, still work fine though

i'm going with rasta for now, i think this thing needs to be uglified

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dewgy posted:

^^ i waited like two months for a set of those for my guitar... sounded fine and looked great (hideous, but great) under a blacklight but they went to poo poo really fast
Yeah, I'll throw a set on from time to time for a show but they're such lovely strings they're useless for anything but visual effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuzpxhrSXlw
What the fuggles indeed.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 2, 2014

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
Flamed and quilted maple tops are often gaudy and hideous. People who have finishes like this should be ashamed of themselves. This is especially so if they pervert working mans guitars like Fenders to their country club poo poo.

Disgusting.

Iamthegibbons fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 2, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

I know! White pickups on a tobacco sunburst bass with a black pickguard???
How gauche!!

"string through bridge?? fuuuck that poo poo"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Iamthegibbons posted:

Flamed and quilted maple tops are often gaudy and hideous. People who have finishes like this should be ashamed of themselves. This is especially so if they pervert working mans guitars like Fenders to their country club poo poo.

Disgusting.

gently caress quilted maple forever. Horrible stuff.

Edit: I would bet my balls that the quilted maple start is just a normal ash/alder body with a 1mm quilted maple veneer.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 2, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Iamthegibbons posted:

Flamed and quilted maple tops are often gaudy and hideous. People who have finishes like this should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh gently caress no, trans purple is the best color (even if I'm not a fan of those EVH things).

Not ashamed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I noticed that this thread wasn't about me enough so here is a guitar I own:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Cream on blue? You monster.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

No monkey grip.
Fail.

Edit: Someone stole your pickup rings. File police report.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i think i've seen those colors together before

fake edit: yep that's the same colors as a bottle of all laundry detergent

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i dont really like any super strats

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Dad has this one Zion (sorry, no pics right now) from back in the day before Ken Hoover got sick. It is basically a Strat, but...

It's SOLID translucent red book-matched quilted maple body, with 40 layers of hand-rubbed lacquer, a gold original Floyd Rose, all gold hardware, a red-stained and lacquered bird's-eye Maple neck, and active EMG H/S/S pickups on a black pickguard. Ebony fretboard with real Mother-of-Pearl dot markers.

It's a one-of-a-kind, and I wish I could show it to you to make you throw up. You would hate it.

But he sees it only as an investment. I probably would hate it because of the Fender-style fretboard radius, which I would have a luthier plane to a flatter radius and refretting it, thus ruining it.)

But the finish work was done by Tom Anderson Guitar Works in CA (I think it's CA). He knows I want it but he doesn't consider instruments to be heirlooms, just investments (except for the 1930's Martin he handed down to me from his Dad, after ruining it with those mudflaps... it sounds AMAZING but it will kill your left hand in ten minutes.) So I have my Tiger-stripe Maple (topped) USA Custom instead.

Dad wins.

No idea why anyone wouldn't love the figured maple woods, they look like 3D holograms in the sunlight. So pretty (drools).

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
u like a bad penny

a bad penny with autism

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
like theres a whole sub where people will read your words consider them and compose a thoughtful response

no one here gives a poo poo about ur guitars

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
putting stickers on guitars is a thing people do

i do not think it always works out well

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

like theres a whole sub where people will read your words consider them and compose a thoughtful response

no one here gives a poo poo about ur guitars
It's not my guitar.

If I had a dollar for every "NO ONE GIVES A poo poo ABOUT" ITT I'd start a guitar building company.

Don't give a poo poo? Don't post. Don't want me to post? Don't post at me. It's so simple a caveman could do it.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's not my guitar.

If I had a dollar for every "NO ONE GIVES A poo poo ABOUT" ITT I'd start a guitar building company.

Don't give a poo poo? Don't post. Don't want me to post? Don't post at me. It's so simple a caveman could do it.

how starved for attention do you have to be to post in the company of people who openly think you're an insufferable douchebag.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

White Dog Eggs posted:

Cream on blue? You monster.

Cream?? No, that is bright yellow.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Salt Fish posted:

This is my Jackson DK2T that I bought with my first paycheck when I was 17. It was a pretty good guitar. I moved country and couldn't afford to move it with me at the time, though now I can. I really should some time - it's really sentimental to me and I miss it. For some reason I want to replace its black hardware with chrome. The eerie dess swirl paintjob is probably ugly now but at the time I was like :swoon:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ootrek posted:

how starved for attention do you have to be to post in the company of people who openly think you're an insufferable douchebag.
I have a different motivation for posting in this thread.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

loving hot.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody has ripped on Joe Satriani's guitars yet so here are the ugliest ones (IE not a solid color)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

loving hot.

Salt Fish posted:

Nobody has ripped on Joe Satriani's guitars yet so here are the ugliest ones (IE not a solid color)

Also hot!

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

who better to have guitars shaped like sex toys than a man who's resembles one as well

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a different motivation for posting in this thread.

are you an alien that feeds on groans and sighs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Lot of Ibanez on this page. Hot or not?

New Monix
Oct 4, 2009
all guitars are ugly and frets are the same as autotune

learn a real stringed instrument, skrubs

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't like his tunes that much, but you have to give him this: unlike Vai, who goes nuts on stage and uses fans and lights and stuff to put on a good show while not playing his best; with Satch being the other side.
Satch barely moves and he plays his worn-out material note-for-note perfect, while looking terrible.

I gotta hand it to Satch. He has an endorsement for every part of his gear, but he has and will not evolve.

Vai, on the other hand, tries all kinds of new stuff (I consider it the Zappa influence) and some of it works.

And his guitars, as much you hate the ugliness of them, are the fighter jets of guitars. I just insist on using better sounding pickups.

man thats gross posted:

are you an alien that feeds on groans and sighs

If I were, I would be like a Lovecraftian monster the size of Iowa by now.

Salt Fish posted:

Lot of Ibanez on this page. Hot or not?

O this is dependent on one thing. Are those all little pieces of wood glued together? If so, I worry about the sustain and attack of the guitar. If it's a visual trick, it could sound great and look very unique.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 2, 2014

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

New Monix posted:

all guitars are ugly and frets are the same as autotune

learn a real stringed instrument, skrubs

Like one of these?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't like his tunes that much, but you have to give him this: unlike Vai, who goes nuts on stage and uses fans and lights and stuff to put on a good show while not playing his best; with Satch being the other side.
Satch barely moves and he plays his worn-out material note-for-note prefect, while looking terrible.

I gotta hand it to Satch. He has an endorsement for every part of his gear, but he has and will not evolve.

Vai, on the other hand, tries all kinds of new stuff (I consider it the Zappa influence) and some of it works.

And his guitars, as much you hate the ugliness of them, are the fighter jets of guitars. I just insist on using better sounding pickups.

If I were, I would be like a Lovecraftian monster the size of Iowa by now.

O this is dependent on one thing. Are those all little pieces of wood glued together? If so, I worry about the sustain and attack of the guitar. If it's a visual trick, it could sound great and look very unique.

gently caress you.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rob Ford posted:

Like one of these?

Point: Crack-smoking alcoholic mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rob Ford posted:

Like one of these?

oh gently caress why does this thread keep showing me terrible godawful things

that i want

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

You will address the wizard of wank by his full name. None of this "satch" bullshit.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

gently caress you.

No, gently caress you!

(that's the correct response, right?)

I Might Be Adam posted:

You will address the wizard of wank by his full name. None of this "satch" bullshit.

I think he likes being called Satch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had the smallest scrap of sympathy for faustus but he hosed it all up with that post about Joe Satriani.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

I had the smallest scrap of sympathy for faustus but he hosed it all up with that post about Joe Satriani.
Why? What line did I cross THIS TIME?

By the way, take your smallest scrap of sympathy and fold it up into all the sharpest edges and shove it up your rear end.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 2, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

Why? What line did I cross THIS TIME?

you crossed the line some time ago and you've never once returned hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
Say what you like about Vai, but he's living the dream. Fast guitar and bees. Lots of bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0SlU-BWJBU

• Locked thread