Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They shot so much new footage, they were able to win an Emmy for stunt work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don know how much competition they had, but that was probably deserved. I've only seen one episode of Dragon Knight and the action looked impressive. Not enough to keep watching since the acting was so bad but I was intrigued enough to possibly go back to it one day.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They shot so much new footage, they were able to win an Emmy for stunt work.

If there's one thing American Toku is good at is filming their own original stuntwork.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I wish someday Sabin or some other us company just decides to roll their own toku. The Power Rangers movie was actually decent and shows we can do spandex martial arts just as good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

HKR posted:

I wish someday Sabin or some other us company just decides to roll their own toku. The Power Rangers movie was actually decent and shows we can do spandex martial arts just as good.

Does Knights of Tir Na Nog count?

Or Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Knights would, I think.

I really don't know why it's so hard to make your own Toku. I guess it's just easier in Japan because they have everything set up already to do it? I'd love to see an original American Power Ranger series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

Does Knights of Tir Na Nog count?

Or Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills?

TMNT: The Next Evolution should count as well.

Burkion posted:

Knights would, I think.

I really don't know why it's so hard to make your own Toku. I guess it's just easier in Japan because they have everything set up already to do it? I'd love to see an original American Power Ranger series.

It's arguably cheaper and easier to just produce an action cartoon rather than make a live-action action series and I don't believe Live Action children series that aren't dramas/comedies have had a productive histories if Tower Prep and those like it have anything to say.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

HKR posted:

Honestly, up to Power Rangers RPM, the series seemed like they were filming their own footage, relying on Japan for the robot fights.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
New Rider/suit preview images. Linked for spoilers.

http://imgur.com/nLmR1zf
http://imgur.com/3OXs0tf
http://imgur.com/X8mmF9o

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 2, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Sigurd's one of my favourite Rider designs in a good long while.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

What are the fruit themes for each of these supposed to be? Maybe I'm just a little dense, but the archer riders seem less obvious than the normal riders. I think the last one is meant to be grapefruit judging from the lockseed, but I have no idea.

Edit: I'm blind, second one says its Peach.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sinner Sandwich posted:

What are the fruit themes for each of these supposed to be? Maybe I'm just a little dense, but the archer riders seem less obvious than the normal riders. I think the last one is meant to be grapefruit judging from the lockseed, but I have no idea.

Edit: I'm blind, second one says its Peach.

I believe they're Cherry, Peach, and Lemon.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I take it they're not just movie Riders then?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

V-Men posted:

I take it they're not just movie Riders then?

Energy Riders seem like they're going to be the "second rider" or at least, second wave of riders in Gaim.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, they fit the pattern of what a Secondary Rider is, but through Gaim's lens.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
New Arms Change figure shows how melon energy is gonna work (linked for spoilers)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
All three of those riders look great.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Gotta love that Cyber Fruit.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I just finished up W and drat that was a good show. Really good mix of action, comedy and a wonderful ending. I can only hope that Gaim can end up just as good, though I wonder if anything can top Phillip and Shotaro's chemistry as partners. The gimmick of two people being one rider is really great, and works so well with how Phillip and Shotaro play off of each other. Hell, even the annoying sidekick became a pretty decent character by the end. Such a drat good show. :allears:

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I agree. I mean, there's a lot of stuff you can nitpick about W, but the chemistry between the entire cast really sells it for me. Maybe if we're extra lucky and find the right people to blackmail we can get a W: Ten Years Later in five years. At least part of the cast is still willing to reprise their roles!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I just finished up W and drat that was a good show. Really good mix of action, comedy and a wonderful ending. I can only hope that Gaim can end up just as good, though I wonder if anything can top Phillip and Shotaro's chemistry as partners. The gimmick of two people being one rider is really great, and works so well with how Phillip and Shotaro play off of each other. Hell, even the annoying sidekick became a pretty decent character by the end. Such a drat good show. :allears:

Have you watched the three W movies yet? A to Z/Gaia Memories of Fate, W Returns: Eternal, and W Returns: Accel? If not, you need to make sure to check those out, especially the Accel movie. I think I've gushed about it in this thread before, but it's sooo drat good.

You really can't go wrong with seventy minutes of Accel punching the poo poo out of everything and everyone. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
A raw for episode 12 is available.

This episode is mostly just the consequences of the events of last week's episode. We're picking up a lot more steam. Poor Hase-chan. :(

The preview for episode 13 is :aaa: as all hell. Next week is going to be so great. Hase losing it, Bravo fight, Gaim/Baron teamup with Gaim using Banana Arms, a dragon, and Shin Zangetsu doing things. Also Kouta saying "hero of justice" which is about the worst phrase you can possibly use in a Gen Urobuchi work.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 5, 2014

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Darksaber posted:

I agree. I mean, there's a lot of stuff you can nitpick about W, but the chemistry between the entire cast really sells it for me. Maybe if we're extra lucky and find the right people to blackmail we can get a W: Ten Years Later in five years. At least part of the cast is still willing to reprise their roles!

The cast chemistry is why it was so fun to watch the W Net Movies drawing contests.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

V-Men posted:

The cast chemistry is why it was so fun to watch the W Net Movies drawing contests.

This absolutely. I've been entertained by most of the Net Movie series', but none will ever compare to W's. Kirihiko's corner is great too.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Spoilers for 12 Shin Zangetsu Henshin and Fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOoAibbN8g

The carbonated detail inside the visor and orange armour pieces is loving killing me.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 5, 2014

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

V-Men posted:

The best was every time Ryu drew something and it was the worst drawing on the planet. I remember someone asking him why he drew something a certain way and completely in character he goes "Don't question me."

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Holy poo poo So Shin Zangetsu is just doing Taskmaster combos?

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Aesir has the HD version of episode 12 out. Not gonna lie, pretty excited.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can I say, as I have until now, that Micchy is the best character? Because seriously, he is. His cynism keeps winning me over. I wonder how low he thinks of Takatora if he was serious when he told Kouta that his brother could go around killing everyone who knew about what was going on. Then again, he might've just said that to discourage Kouta from being an idiot. It wasn't going to work, because Kouta just can't turn his back on people, but it's still really nice to see someone who's intelligent enough to not just rally against something that they both don't know enough about and is blatantly more powerful than they are, both in their complete media control and, you know, Zangetsu, who's now even more powerful.

Also Shin Zangetsu has one great design, and it's nice to finally see Orange Arms' Rider Kick.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I keep expecting a lovely episode to come around sooner or later but this show has kept the quality up so far. That being said, oh my god we're heading towards a massive loving really messy train wreck and I'm starting to wonder how many of these characters are going to get axes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

My money is really on Hase getting Cherry Arms, they're probably going to wind up recruiting him or something.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This episode was great.

In this episode you've got Micchy wanting Kouta to throw away the Sengoku Driver (along with his own). Micchy says that he doesn't want them to be used by Yggdrasill and Kouta thinks that the belts can't be thrown away if people can still be in trouble from Invess. But they both have a deeper motivation where Micchy is disgusted that his Beat Riding activities have been tainted by Yggrasill and his family, and Kouta can't bring himself to give up the one thing that he feels is giving his life meaning right now ("It's something only I can do!", etc). Both of them have motives that they aren't willing to admit to each other or truly fully admit to even themselves, which I find really really cool.

EDIT

Also science man starting at Takabutt.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jonjonaug posted:

This episode was great.

In this episode you've got Micchy wanting Kouta to throw away the Sengoku Driver (along with his own). Micchy says that he doesn't want them to be used by Yggdrasill and Kouta thinks that the belts can't be thrown away if people can still be in trouble from Invess. But they both have a deeper motivation where Micchy is disgusted that his Beat Riding activities have been tainted by Yggrasill and his family, and Kouta can't bring himself to give up the one thing that he feels is giving his life meaning right now ("It's something only I can do!", etc). Both of them have motives that they aren't willing to admit to each other or truly fully admit to even themselves, which I find really really cool.

EDIT

Also science man starting at Takabutt.

Joke about how you'd love Agito/Fiaz/Inoue writing in three, two, one...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rei_ posted:

My money is really on Hase getting Cherry Arms, they're probably going to wind up recruiting him or something.

I dunno why they'd recruit one of the two weakest riders, though.

If they want to keep him as Kurokage they could always come up with a justification for the MP Kurokage belts working differently and have him jack one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

If they want to keep him as Kurokage they could always come up with a justification for the MP Kurokage belts working differently and have him jack one.

I don't think this is far from the truth, actually. None of those belts had a Rider Indicator, so there's no reason to believe they "lock" to people. It's likely they're only "Kurokage" because his Lockseed is very easy to find.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

jonjonaug posted:

This episode was great.

You forgot the ulterior motive of Micchy wanting to keep everything secret because otherwise, his brother is going to know A) That he's been Beat Riding (and we all know how Takatora thinks of the 'trash on the street') and B) That he's Armored Rider Ryugen.

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno why they'd recruit one of the two weakest riders, though.

Because the weakest is always the one most desperate to attain strength. They can test their new poo poo on him that will more than likely go horribly awry.

Also, it's probably worth noting that Hase and Jou's Lock Seeds are probably a lower class than the usual groups. They probably aren't necessarily strong probably because of the inherent limitations of the Pinecone/Acorn lockseeds. If they got their hands on the new and improved Energy Lock Seeds and Genesis Drivers, they'd probably be able to trash the rest of the crew, if Energy Zangetsu/Soda Form is anything to go off of.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monathin posted:

Also, it's probably worth noting that Hase and Jou's Lock Seeds are probably a lower class than the usual groups. They probably aren't necessarily strong probably because of the inherent limitations of the Pinecone/Acorn lockseeds. If they got their hands on the new and improved Energy Lock Seeds and Genesis Drivers, they'd probably be able to trash the rest of the crew, if Energy Zangetsu/Soda Form is anything to go off of.

This is correct, Jonouchi's Acorn Lockseed is Class B, and Hase's Pinecone Lockseed is even lower, Class C. Every single other Lockseed used by a Rider is Class A except the Melon Energy Lockseed, which has no ranking, as it was not made for the Inves Games, but power-wise it's likely even beyond Class A, a Class S Lockseed.

Also I have to wonder your claim here, I can believe it for Hase, who has actual fighting skill, even if he's too hot-headed for his own good, but Jonouchi? Even with the best of Lockseeds, he's too much of a wimp to get any use out of them. Hopefully his training under Oren will help him man up.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is correct, Jonouchi's Acorn Lockseed is Class B, and Hase's Pinecone Lockseed is even lower, Class C. Every single other Lockseed used by a Rider is Class A except the Melon Energy Lockseed, which has no ranking, as it was not made for the Inves Games, but power-wise it's likely even beyond Class A, a Class S Lockseed.

Also I have to wonder your claim here, I can believe it for Hase, who has actual fighting skill, even if he's too hot-headed for his own good, but Jonouchi? Even with the best of Lockseeds, he's too much of a wimp to get any use out of them. Hopefully his training under Oren will help him man up.

Eh, I'm willing to give Hase a shot, especially since he seems almost too aware of his impending drop towards grunt-level. Jounouchi: Actual Starscream Stand-In can languish until he gets his act together a bit more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monathin posted:

Eh, I'm willing to give Hase a shot, especially since he seems almost too aware of his impending drop towards grunt-level. Jounouchi: Actual Starscream Stand-In can languish until he gets his act together a bit more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hase ends up being a Kick Hopper stand-in. Come back a bit later with a souped up belt/seed and show everyone just how strong he really is.

Or if that preview is what I think it is maybe he's a Gills stand-in. He eats the Fruit and becomes a nasty Invess and continues to fight that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hase ends up being a Kick Hopper stand-in. Come back a bit later with a souped up belt/seed and show everyone just how strong he really is.

Or if that preview is what I think it is maybe he's a Gills stand-in. He eats the Fruit and becomes a nasty Invess and continues to fight that way.

That might be an interesting way to take the plot.

Like, what if all of those Invess in the opening scene of episode one are former people who have retained sentience after being infected by the fruit, if that is what the fruit does? At some point things get so bad that the only way to stay alive would be to either be an Armored Rider or become a monster (see also: Devilman, some Shin Megami Tensei games).

• Locked thread