Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I'm not even sure I should post any of my photographs, given how lame they look compared to some of the photos in this thread :/

Still, I like to share.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Centripetal Horse posted:

I'm not even sure I should post any of my photographs, given how lame they look compared to some of the photos in this thread :/

Still, I like to share.

These are great. I have to ask if you cropped them down, I feel the top one would be much stronger if the top of the tree wasn't clipped and the bottom would be better with a closer shot where the bale of hay takes up more of the frame instead of featureless sky.

Do you have a full res version of the top one?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

These are simply spectacular.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

VelociBacon posted:

These are great. I have to ask if you cropped them down, I feel the top one would be much stronger if the top of the tree wasn't clipped and the bottom would be better with a closer shot where the bale of hay takes up more of the frame instead of featureless sky.

Do you have a full res version of the top one?

I did crop the first one, but the top is the part I _didn't_ crop, that was just a mistake when I framed the shot. I got rid of some boring looking bits on the bottom and left. I don't remember the exact tweaks I made in Photoshop, but I whipped up a quick approximation using the full frame. I dor have the full 24MP image, but, at full size, some of the fuzziness and flaws are more obvious.

As for the hay bale, I have this:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've probably taken this same picture 50 times now.

P1010029.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Morning in New Zealand by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Mirror Lakes by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Frost by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Stirling Falls by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

The sun is hiding in Milford Sound by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wow!

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Great locations and photos! These two have some funky sharpening going on that annoys me, were they sharpened before resizing?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Reading through this thread (and others) has inspired me to re-discover photography.

I sort of went through a crisis of inspiration and put the camera away for a while, but not long before that I went on a two week jaunt around New Zealand for the strict purpose of shooting landscapes. I came back with a whole range of photos that I was happy with technically, but felt like they were missing something really special. Anyway, here's a couple of the shots I liked most from that trip.

Franz Josef Glacial Stream by michaelgarbutt, on Flickr

Oamaru Harbour by michaelgarbutt, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chowder House by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

There was a bush fire on one of the islands off Brisbane. Weird sky.

cleveland point lighthouse by blinsaff, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Obsolete posted:

Do these count as landscapes? I see people posting pictures of, like, houses and stuff so it seems like the definition is pretty blurred. Oh well.

Thats the great thing about Landscape Photography. Sometimes its more about whats around you than just some dumb rocks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Zero Incidents by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 3, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sea Pines by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Leaning Tower of Solar Power by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

owns

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Been working on my Pilot's license the past year. Took this on one of my first solo flights coming back to the airport. That bridge is about 5 miles long.

The Bay Bridge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

please, the watermark :ohdear:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

please, the watermark :ohdear:

yeah, I stopped doing them. I'm ashamed of myself.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mathturbator posted:

Great locations and photos! These two have some funky sharpening going on that annoys me, were they sharpened before resizing?

No they weren't, but the first one was taken from a moving bus so I think I had the ISO pretty high which might cause that?. Second one is stitched form a few shots, maybe sizing it down after messed it up. No idea.

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013
Not taking a break through Christmas this year, so snuck away up North for only a quick two day holiday before coming back home.

Saving my leave for a South Island (of New Zealand) trip in March! It's become a yearly trip.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Dangler by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Freeman Tract Spring House by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Outdoor Store, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Chinese Gardens, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Discovery Trail by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sending Current by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

with this, I escape from my self-imposed "trip photos only until I finish processing them all" prison! :toot:

murp
May 30, 2007

Romanv posted:

Not taking a break through Christmas this year, so snuck away up North for only a quick two day holiday before coming back home.

Saving my leave for a South Island (of New Zealand) trip in March! It's become a yearly trip.

This kicks so much rear end.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Lan Su in fog, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smallscape I: Rectangle by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Smallscape II: Tesselation by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Are there any good examples of landscape photographers or series that use a "normal" focal length, ie. 35-40mm 35mm equivalent? I just picked up a GW690II which is 90mm (39mm equivalent), and I'm looking for inspiration and not finding much.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Take a hike and don't let your preconceived notions of what a certain focal length should be used for restrict you

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

atomicthumbs posted:

Take a hike and don't let your preconceived notions of what a certain focal length should be used for restrict you

I'm going to have -60 wind chills in the next day or two, so I was trying to find some pictures online, in the warmth of my house. But yeah, that's still good advice.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Helicity posted:

Are there any good examples of landscape photographers or series that use a "normal" focal length, ie. 35-40mm 35mm equivalent? I just picked up a GW690II which is 90mm (39mm equivalent), and I'm looking for inspiration and not finding much.

I've used a 300mm prime for landscapes.

It all comes down to using the right tool for the right job.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I found where power poles are grown from saplings!

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Dramatic skies the other morning:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I like the texture, but the (your?) legs in the frame should either be more prominent or not there at all.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I agree, I'll crop it.

EDIT:

Tried to lcone out my legs but I wasn't able to make it seamless. Not sure if this crop works:

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2014

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Volcan Villarrica by Mijaeus, on Flickr

El cerquito by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Se viene la fiestoca by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I usually don't like working in black and white, but I guess winter is good for this kind of thing.

Cabins by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Overlook by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Tombstones by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

A couple non-black and white pics:

Icicle by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Icy Sentinels by venusian-weasel, on Flickr