Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Catchphrases aside, I loved Young Justice for how ambitious it tried to be. Also, Phil Bourassa's design for Tim Drake's costume is probably my favorite Robin suit aside from the fact it needs a longer cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Young Justice also had some incredibly well animated action scenes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gaz-L posted:

...They're OWNED by loving DISNEY! How does something like that even happen, how can the most famous animation house in the world own Marvel and turn out something like that?

Disney's not as much an animation house as an IP house that does animation. 90% of the poo poo on their channels is put out isn't good in the least in terms of animation, it's just the IP behind it that drives viewership.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

RevKrule posted:

Disney's not as much an animation house as an IP house that does animation. 90% of the poo poo on their channels is put out isn't good in the least in terms of animation, it's just the IP behind it that drives viewership.

Gravity Falls and those new Mickey Mouse shorts have wonderful animation!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

Young Justice also had some incredibly well animated action scenes.
It absolutely did and I really liked the character designs, but Lurdiak is right that some of the scenes were just agonizingly dull, paint by numbers to reinforce archetype bits.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gaz-L posted:

...They're OWNED by loving DISNEY! How does something like that even happen, how can the most famous animation house in the world own Marvel and turn out something like that?

Yeah well they also do this:

Using filtered photographs in lieu of drawing their own backgrounds.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This wasn't as apparent in Spectacular Spider-Man, but I'd also rather not remember SSM because it's so good I get sad when it got cancelled after two loving seasons.

It also helps that he was on Spectacular after a season had passed, instead of power plotting from the beginning.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oh man, they are trying so hard to copy that shot from the Avengers movie where all the Avengers are back-to-back in a circle but they are just failing so hard.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah well they also do this:

Using filtered photographs in lieu of drawing their own backgrounds.
Also they messed up Deadpool in USM, making him a teenager voiced by Will Friedle who worked for SHIELD.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lego Marvel Super Heroes handled kid friendly Deadpool so much better it's not even funny.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dacap posted:

Marvel needs to copy what DC does with their DTVs and just adapt famous storylines.

They did that all the time in EMH.

Honestly the major problem with Marvel's current cartoons is that they are flat and boring. There's the usual whatnot you can expect from a superhero cartoon: punches happen, there are sometimes explosions, a ludicrous overabundance of laser beams, etc.

But the plots are as dull and unchanging as any prolonged toy commercial from the 1980s. The villain shows up near the beginning of the episode, they enact a plot, the heroes take time out of their busy schedule arguing with each other like petulant five-year-olds to actually do their loving jobs, and then everything returns to the status quo. Maybe with a shot of the villain at the end going "next time things will be different, ho ho" and then nothing is ever different.

Effectively you can watch all the episodes in any order you like and the amount of confusion you might experience will be negligible. There was an episode of Ultimate Spider-Man where Spider-Man and Nova team up in outer space with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and there's this whole lesson learned about how Nova isn't the unlikeable little poo poo he comes off as in every other episode ever made. Except nope next episode their relationship remains exactly the same, like nothing ever happened.

Contrast this to EMH. The lineup changes from episode to episode: heroes quit, come back, new heroes join. It's not a wholly connected story, you can miss an episode without losing track of the plot, but it rewards the audience by making them feel like things are progressing. Hawkeye starts the series on the run, framed for being a spy, and then later he's a bonafide hero with his name cleared.

Basically the latest crop of Marvel shows treat their audience as if all they want from a show is some instant gratification with punching and lasers and a few explosions. Which is kind of weird because that's exactly what the Marvel movies aren't. Mostly, anyway. There's action, yes, but also some intrigue and human moments. Kids are smart enough to recognise this, and they also like it. There's a reason that Avatar: the Last Airbender was a big hit. Hell, even Ben 10 doesn't talk down to its audience like the Marvel shows do.

The Marvel cartoons need to stop treating 10-to-14-year-olds like 4-year-olds. Or, my personal preference, all get cancelled and replaced by a better set of cartoons with actual animation written by people who aren't idiots.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
You'll need someone other than Loeb in charge of that division if you want to see improvement, and I don't think he's leaving any time soon.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
True, but a man can dream.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A good example of how little of a poo poo Loeb gives about stories with continuity is the "DOOMED!" episode of Spider-Man. I want everyone who knows anything about good character writing to go watch that episode, because literally the entire episode is spent teaching a lesson to the team about how they are ridiculously in over their heads when fighting solo and it's only through teaming up they were able to stop the Hellicarrier from being blown to high hell. All of this is caused by Peter and Nova's pissing contest and Nova going straight to the top of SHIELD's most wanted list thinking that Doctor Doom was someone they should be loving with. So after the chaos ends and the Doombot is destroyed, Fury lines all of them up telling them whoever's responsible has to hit the road. Peter steps up first because he's responsible for bringing up them going after a villain (Even though Nova was the one who forced them to go after Doom, really) and the rest of the team steps forward with them showing they're all willing to take the punishment as a team. Of course Fury lets it roll off his back and appreciates them finally looking like a team. So how does the episode which teaches us that being a hot headed jerk who fights solo is only going to get you in trouble? Doom's face shows up on a screen and he essentially tells the team to go gently caress themselves, then Nova rushes off to the hangar to head back to Latveria and fight Doom for real while his team runs after him trying to stop him.

It is the third episode and the last episode I watched before the Deadpool episode happened. It defied logic how anyone looked at that episode and honestly thought any good message was being conveyed through it and they didn't completely just gently caress their message up.

EDIT: I remembered just now that I've also seen the Coulson dates Aunt May episode when my cousin was watching it and holy hell does Peter just come off as a petulant child during that whole episode.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

YJ was so painfully dull that I have no idea how it stayed on the air so long.

Like, there was that scene where the JL talks about potential recruits, and on any other show that would have been a funny, energetic scene, with maybe auditions or silly footage of the heroes being evaluated. But it was just everyone sitting at a table, very slowly talking about the potential recruits in bored voices, and Batman and Wonder Woman both take the time to explicitly remind us of their 1-dimensional character traits ("I think we could use a strong woman" "I don't trust people"), and the scene just kinda ends without anything happening. poo poo was sleeping pills.

My favourite part of that whole scene is when they mention the idea of recruiting Icon and Superman mentions being really interested in Icon when he first showed up thinking he might have been a Kryptonian. Then Wonder Woman perks up and says something about wanting to examine him. And I can't remember what it was she says, but the clear implication I got from the scene was that Wonder Woman was publically stating that she wants to bring in Icon just so she can have sex with him.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man, I need to watch EMH again, its been awhile.

The last episode of Ultimate Spiderman I watched, Spiderman was on his....Spider Cycle and landed it in front of two kids. The kids just walk up to the bike and go "WOW! I WISH I HAD ONE OF THESE! ITS SO COOL!" and are never seen again. It was such a loving "BUY THIS TOY" moment.

Are the lovely Loeb versions of once good shows actually doing better in ratings than Spectacular and EMH?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

E the Shaggy posted:

Man, I need to watch EMH again, its been awhile.

The last episode of Ultimate Spiderman I watched, Spiderman was on his....Spider Cycle and landed it in front of two kids. The kids just walk up to the bike and go "WOW! I WISH I HAD ONE OF THESE! ITS SO COOL!" and are never seen again. It was such a loving "BUY THIS TOY" moment.

Are the lovely Loeb versions of once good shows actually doing better in ratings than Spectacular and EMH?

No I don't think so.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Picking up on YJ talk, I got bored very quickly of every episode ending with the villains in some way going "our plan failed, just according to our bigger master plan!"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Honest Thief posted:

Picking up on YJ talk, I got bored very quickly of every episode ending with the villains in some way going "our plan failed, just according to our bigger master plan!"
You will still find people who will argue the disastrous end run of the Light in YJ went according to their plan. For some reason no matter how poorly written and incoherent a plan is, as long as the villain looks at the camera and says that, a chunk of the audience will firmly believe them and not think the show is being lovely.

It's loving bizarre. It's all such incoherent nonsense over the course of the two seasons.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Spiderdrake posted:

You will still find people who will argue the disastrous end run of the Light in YJ went according to their plan. For some reason no matter how poorly written and incoherent a plan is, as long as the villain looks at the camera and says that, a chunk of the audience will firmly believe them and not think the show is being lovely.

It's loving bizarre. It's all such incoherent nonsense over the course of the two seasons.

If you can think of a less complicated way to steal War World for Darkseid, I'd like to hear it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else see the Marvel Lego Overlord show last night? Watched it with my daughter last night. Lots of fun and humorously meta. Very nice animation and vibrant too. If you like the Lego games that's an extra plus too. Guy doing the Mandarian did a pitch perfect riff on the Kingsley version.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

True, but a man can dream.
Well, if Bleeding Cool is to be believed (I know), Wacker is moving to animation which would be loving amazing if he's taking over from Loeb.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, if Bleeding Cool is to be believed (I know), Wacker is moving to animation which would be loving amazing if he's taking over from Loeb.

I imagine that would just mean that they're splitting TV between them so Wacker would handle animation and Loeb would handle live action

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh good what Agents of SHIELD's stellar run was missing so far was even more of the Midas Touch of Loeb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Other than Teen Titans does DC have any animated stuff going on right now?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

I imagine that would just mean that they're splitting TV between them so Wacker would handle animation and Loeb would handle live action
As someone who doesn't really care about the Marvel Cineverse, but has hopes for what Marvel Animation can be, it's still a big deal. Wacker's been a great editor when he's not a huge rear end in a top hat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

And they apparently had seven seasons plotted out for their overarching story!

Imagine how dull every season finale would get when you have half a dozen of them ending with the Light talking about everything going as planned.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

As someone who doesn't really care about the Marvel Cineverse, but has hopes for what Marvel Animation can be, it's still a big deal. Wacker's been a great editor when he's not a huge rear end in a top hat.

I'm hoping this means they improve their DTV offerings. The recent Marvel ones have all been pretty terrible. DC at least has been approaching theirs smartly by adapting popular storylines and I think marvel could easily do the same.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Has Marvel ever done that? Planet Hulk is the only thing I can remember. It's kind of amazing they haven't tried to adapt any of their big story arcs. What are the rules concerning the rights to DTV movies? They had one with Wolverine and some mutants, which makes me think they can use anyone?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Has Marvel ever done that? Planet Hulk is the only thing I can remember. It's kind of amazing they haven't tried to adapt any of their big story arcs. What are the rules concerning the rights to DTV movies? They had one with Wolverine and some mutants, which makes me think they can use anyone?

They own all their own animation rights.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Srice posted:

And they apparently had seven seasons plotted out for their overarching story!
The real trick is getting me to believe that.

Mimir posted:

There's a picture of a seven-season cork board in their writer's room going around.
I want to believe

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 2, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

The real trick is getting me to believe that.

There's a picture of a seven-season cork board in their writer's room going around.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mimir posted:

I hope it's positively Glenn Beck-ian

edit: Forgot what thread I was in, everybody here would know what I meant if I just said I hope it looks like The Question made it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

I hope it's positively Glenn Beck-ian

edit: Forgot what thread I was in, everybody here would know what I meant if I just said I hope it looks like The Question made it

"Not conspiracies plotlines, plotline. Singular."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 2, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dacap posted:

I'm hoping this means they improve their DTV offerings. The recent Marvel ones have all been pretty terrible. DC at least has been approaching theirs smartly by adapting popular storylines and I think marvel could easily do the same.

DTV cartoons are a dying market in terms of sales, even for DC. I don't know why Marvel would want to get into that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

DTV cartoons are a dying market in terms of sales, even for DC. I don't know why Marvel would want to get into that.

I imagine they could produce them for Netflix.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ToastyPotato posted:

They now own the animated rights to all of their characters. Its why Wolverine and the X-men, and that new spider-man show were cancelled.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

muscles like this? posted:

Other than Teen Titans does DC have any animated stuff going on right now?

They've got movies for the New 52 JLA's origin story and Morrison's Batman & Son in the works.

I think Beware the Batman is technically on hiatus, but who knows if it'll really be back. There's pretty much always a Batman cartoon though, so if they do cancel it I betcha they'll turn around and announce something new.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the guy who voices Batman on the BtB says it's coming back this month. Still, there hasn't been any announcement of a second season and I can't imagine it possibly getting a re-order. The show isn't exactly getting viewers either, IIRC.

VVV: That's what I meant. Season 1 is finishing up this month then I doubt there'll be a season 2.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

He could be talking about the fact that the last two episodes will be broadcast later this month. After that we'll see about a second season.

• Locked thread