Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
That is about the most hideous thing posted in this topic. Why would you make a bad looking 12 string and then encapsulate it in a hippy pill/suppository

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
they're lap steels, I thought
and

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
not lap steels, actual guitars made by Mosrite for the band that was/is Strawberry Alarm Clock

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oh ahahahahah that's heinous

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Xen Tricks posted:

That is about the most hideous thing posted in this topic. Why would you make a bad looking 12 string and then encapsulate it in a hippy pill/suppository

The same reason they made the bass and 6 string like that. I don't know the reason, but it's definitely a shared reason among all three.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

wow those are awful

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
More horrible guitars!

More reasons to hate steampunk, there are so many things wrong with with guitar that I don't know where to start;

Some guy who now runs a guitar museum tried to build a guitar when he was 13;

quote:

in 1969 I've build my first (and last..) electric guitar. It was build of several layers of carton-wood, with a poplar body. The arm was made of (real tough-) oak.
Perhaps you can see the dots on the arm: I've made them with wood-bolts, and this was used in the 90's by Ibanez (Satriani I believe...) so, I was first ! It's only because I hadn't the money (I was 13 years old...) to buy the perfect material to make pearloid dots... For a pick-up I used a telephone microphone, amplified throu a FM radio (that was distortion with a big D...!!!...) For frets I used some flattened 2,5 mm˛ cupper wire. From the guitar to the amp-radio I used a old antenna-car radio cable. And the guitar played... but only to the 5th fret: I must have measured the distances wrong on my friend's guitar... It even had a tremolo, but if you had to change a string you had to unscrew the protection plate... please NOT on stage....

Weird Czech 60's atrocity, if you get bored of playing you can use the built-in amplifier to pick up AM radio.

Aluminium guitar from the Ukraine, apparently made in a car factory.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 2, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Quote is not edit. I am a horrible person.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597233&userid=167526

don't even bother reading the other 33 pages, it's poo poo, all of it

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's cool, GBS poster Valtaherra. I know how scary it is to bare your music to a hostile audience. If you were proud of your music, you'd probably let us hear it, but since it's locked away, I assume it sucks worse than my best efforts. What other conclusion could we draw?

I have no idea, "Frankenstyle," maybe if you shared a few bars you'd have some credibility instead of telling us you have talent but you can't share any because it might hurt your precious brand. I'd hate to hurt your incredible brand, Frankenstyle. What other conclusion could we draw?

Your music must be unbelievably so amazing you can't let us hear some because it will destroy your business!

Cowards.

Welp, you've hit peak idiot baby, congratulations

Sorry about your bad music and inability to cope with even the slightest criticism without melting down, but hey, it's been a gas for the rest of us

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Valtaherra posted:

Welp, you've hit peak idiot baby, congratulations

Sorry about your bad music and inability to cope with even the slightest criticism without melting down, but hey, it's been a gas for the rest of us

he will probably keep making GBS threads out these idiot tomes of spergy nonsense, though

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

GreatGreen posted:

Here's some hot licks I just laid down in case anybody is still up for a bitchin' guitar-off. I picked this particular song for its soulful emotional content.

Flight of the Bumble Bee at 1400 BPM. Starts at 1:15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-T__qtTVY

Beat that. Do you have what it takes?

i know this is 2 pages back but lmao

today i learned that i can play total gibberish and say i'm playing something at 1400 bpm. i'm 100% sure he literally is playing it at 1400bpm but lmao

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Woah. No comment.

I don't think it's lovely, but of course you all will.

It's called Everyman and I wrote it in 1994 but this is the latest version I recorded, sometime in 2003. I did this whole recording myself, using the home-made Strat-style and my lovely old Cort bass. The drums are from an old Roldand DR-5 and the vocals are all me. It was meant to be a kinda heavy King's X style blues:

http://tindeck.com/listen/smfs

Or if you don't like that, then you won't like this:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kjky

I have lots more. You'll hate all of it.

How about you just gently caress yourself?

it takes a classy man to admit when he was wrong, but WOW, was i wrong

i mean your attack and sustain are just incredible, i can def. tell which wood you're using, it's the good wood for sure

and you can really tell that whichever of the twenty almost identical guitars you chose for this song was the exact right one because the tone is the correct tone

i mean u just cant get that particular tone from one of the other guitars, it had to be the one u used

i see that now

thank u

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

man thats gross posted:

i mean your attack and sustain are just incredible, i can def. tell which wood you're using, it's the good wood for sure

and you can really tell that whichever of the twenty almost identical guitars you chose for this song was the exact right one because the tone is the correct tone

i mean u just cant get that particular tone from one of the other guitars, it had to be the one u used

i see that now

thank u

did we listen to the same thing because i thought it sounded like dogshit :confused: :confused:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

whatis posted:

did we listen to the same thing because i thought it sounded like dogshit :confused: :confused:

obv. you dont geti t

the guitar in both songs were technically challenging and were obv. performed on expensive equipment making them objectively good

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
hey is that sperg who can't program a synthesizer still posting

i am catching up on the thread but i'm way far behind so

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Frankenstyle posted:

Goddamn I'm tempted to, but that's how I get paid. Giving it away free doesn't do anything but hurt me. How would you like it if I asked you to come to my house and pull an unpaid night shift stocking my shelves with Walmart products?

Look at this fag only in it for the money. Sell out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been playing guitar for almost thirteen years and have never made a single penny off it, get on my level scrubs

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

man thats gross posted:

i see that now

thank u
i really like the dental drill sound he's got going there. it reminds of my root canal.

i loved that root canal.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

White Dog Eggs posted:

More horrible guitars!
Weird Czech 60's atrocity, if you get bored of playing you can use the built-in amplifier to pick up AM radio.

That's 60's? That thing looks like the very embodiment of the 80's. I can visualize a kid with a neon painter's cap, pinch-rolled acidwash jeans above lowtop reeboks, no belt and a billabong tshirt tucked in, playing this in an ad that'd feature in Nintendo Power.

Also it took me this thread to make me wish the 'ignore' feature would also work when the idiot gets quoted.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I need this 9 string guitar so I can play metal using just the two lowest strings, 5th fret and below only.

edit: hey look an even uglier, even stringier guitar.

13 count em 13 strings. Gosh just think of how heavy the metal coming out of that sweet axe could be.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 2, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

you might as well just get a chapman stick at that point

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
might as well just get a bassist at that point

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

5er posted:

That's 60's? That thing looks like the very embodiment of the 80's. I can visualize a kid with a neon painter's cap, pinch-rolled acidwash jeans above lowtop reeboks, no belt and a billabong tshirt tucked in, playing this in an ad that'd feature in Nintendo Power.

The website I got the picture from say's they were first made in 1963, could be a typo I guess, but Eastern-Block guitars are loving crazy.

5er posted:

Also it took me this thread to make me wish the 'ignore' feature would also work when the idiot gets quoted.

I have to deal with people like this a lot, it..... wears.

GreatGreen posted:

I need this 9 string guitar so I can play metal using just the two lowest strings, 5th fret and below only.

Of course, it's quilted maple. Of course. hgkgkhghkghkghkgkh.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I remember taking guitar lessons as a kid with a lovely knock-off strat and gawking at all of the awesome striped ibanez guitars and thinking that they were so cool and also anything with pointing edges as being the epitome of cool at the music store. wow all that poo poo is so ugly now and I was an idiot kid.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Of course, it's quilted maple. Of course. hgkgkhghkghkghkgkh.
Is it specifically quilted maple that you hate or is it any of the figured tops? I'm genuinely curious because I see people say this from time to time.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

I remember taking guitar lessons as a kid with a lovely knock-off strat and gawking at all of the awesome striped ibanez guitars and thinking that they were so cool and also anything with pointing edges as being the epitome of cool at the music store. wow all that poo poo is so ugly now and I was an idiot kid.

I was too. When I was like 17 I was unironically considering getting a quilted maple Schecter. Instead I went with the eerie dess swirl Jackson I posted earlier :eng99:

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

killhamster posted:

hey is that sperg who can't program a synthesizer still posting

i am catching up on the thread but i'm way far behind so

ahahahaha loving yes

i read 15 more pages of this poo poo and he's still fellating his ugly guitars and challenging people to music duels

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
I just listened to Quantum Whatever and honestly, it wasn't THAT bad for it's genre. I've played with a LOT of spergy guitarists over the years, and while he DOES appear to be largely insufferable (I've never worked/played with/met him in person), as a guitarist he's... OK.

What I actually thought was genuinely interesting was the "Early Rush"/"Tony Levin" feel of his bass playing. Very clean and bright with a measured staccatto like Levin with all the chord arpeggio breakdowns of early Rush. Dr. Faustus, your soloing seems choppy and broken, where it almost seems like you're taking breaths in the solos. Those breaks feel unnatural and really jarring in the context of the fluidity of the rest of the song. This isn't "FLAME ON" or anything like that, but simple honest opinion. I honestly think that in the right band, you could be an excellent bassist (again following the Quantum Eh genre), but your guitar work needs to find a little more of an organic, fluid feel.

This post is 100% non-sarcastic, for the record.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
most of the guitars in this thread are unironically amazing

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I noticed Rush vibes on the bass playing too and then I had a dream about a more interesting song because I fell asleep out of boredom.

I had a long conversation with a guitarist friend of mine about guitar wanking and he said "but you like jazz" and I said, "yeah but not smooth jazz weather channel poo poo" which I think a lot of noodley guitar god steve satch crap is comparable to. Challenge me as a music lover, not bore me to death with your quilted maple octo neck guitar and noddle-doodle ego cock stroking.

edit: except those guitars with the handles carved into the body. they are great for when you need to carry a bunch of them at the same time, because in order to get maximum tone, you need at least 5 copies of the same guitar.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 2, 2014

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

the best guitarist don't even need guitars

guitars are scrub tier

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

Challenge me as a music lover, not bore me to death with your quilted maple octo neck guitar and noddle-doodle ego cock stroking.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

iostream.h posted:

Is it specifically quilted maple that you hate or is it any of the figured tops? I'm genuinely curious because I see people say this from time to time.

I'm not a fan of quilted tops - like the quilted maple top on the Schecter C+ I had - it was otherwise a great guitar, but I traded it away with some other gear to get an early '90's Paul Reed Smith when the opportunity arose.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

:siren: WARNING, GUITAR SPERG :siren:

The main reason I hate quilted maple is because it's horrible stuff to work with. It's brittle, warps if you look at it funny, doesn't take a finish very well (hard to get a non-patchy finish because it drinks the varnish/dyes at different rates) so it's twice as much work to get a nice finish compared to most woods and it's very expensive to get decent examples over a certain thickness because the nice examples are used for veneer. IMO as a look it's kind of... Overdone I guess? I prefer spalted wood personally.

It can also be a sign of an over-priced guitar, in the last few years guitar manufactures have been putting paper-thin quilted maple veneers over naff looking wood bodies (usually alder, basswood or poplar) and over-charging like gently caress. This picture posted earlier shows exactly what I mean, notice how the sides are a solid colour? It's so you don't notice that it's a veneer

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreatGreen posted:

13 count em 13 strings. Gosh just think of how heavy the metal coming out of that sweet axe could be.
that's nothing, this guitar has 47 strings

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

Dolphin posted:

that's nothing, this guitar has 47 strings

Yeah but what kind of wood, this is important tia

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Valtaherra posted:

Yeah but what kind of wood, this is important tia

please explain in endless loving paragraphs thanks