Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why are red colors the most affected by jpg artifacting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cota Froise posted:

What are these?

They came as part of a fruit carving set and they seem to be some kind of cookie cutters. The set also had animals and flowers and such, but these two were separate from the rest. I don't know if they go together or what - I cannot identify them.

Dickpistol and "chewed-off foot" are classic cookie shapes, did your mother never bake them for you?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

TINA TURNER posted:

Why are red colors the most affected by jpg artifacting?

I couldn't find the article I was looking for (about relative sensitivity in your color receptors and brain) but I did find this, who'd goes into a lot of detail regardless.

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/21204/why-do-jpeg-files-blur-red-more-than-other-colors

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I have an espresso machine that has been working (varying degrees) and today it decided that it was time to start leaking water everywhere. I dunno if something got loose but steam came out of the back of it. I turned it off and unplugged it but am wondering if I can use it later like... maybe it will dry out?? If I smelled smoke or it stopped working I would be more hesitant but maybe someone who has experience with this kinda thing can tell me? Do electronics eventually dry out and work normally?

I really loving want espresso and this isn't cute.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

luscious posted:

I have an espresso machine that has been working (varying degrees) and today it decided that it was time to start leaking water everywhere. I dunno if something got loose but steam came out of the back of it. I turned it off and unplugged it but am wondering if I can use it later like... maybe it will dry out?? If I smelled smoke or it stopped working I would be more hesitant but maybe someone who has experience with this kinda thing can tell me? Do electronics eventually dry out and work normally?

I really loving want espresso and this isn't cute.

So you have a pressure vessel that is ruptured/leaking and your concern is for the electronics?

If it's leaking it's likely done. Very few consumer kitchen appliances are serviceable, and even if they are you can't get the parts.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

So you have a pressure vessel that is ruptured/leaking and your concern is for the electronics?

If it's leaking it's likely done. Very few consumer kitchen appliances are serviceable, and even if they are you can't get the parts.

Well it's this one so I dunno if there's a "pressure vessel rupture"? I mean, I'm not really electronically inclined but I think that the problem is maybe more the water not going to the right place. I turned it on a little while ago and it was still leaking. I might try again soon... it didn't steam last time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

luscious posted:

Well it's this one so I dunno if there's a "pressure vessel rupture"? I mean, I'm not really electronically inclined but I think that the problem is maybe more the water not going to the right place. I turned it on a little while ago and it was still leaking. I might try again soon... it didn't steam last time.

Are you missing the fact that an espresso maker is a 200+ PSI pressure vessel and "water not going to the right place" means it's a ruptured or otherwise damaged pressure vessel?

The only reason I'm saying this is that you really ought to get a handle on just how dangerously wrong things like this can go. Guessing/hoping isn't a good plan. Disassembling and figuring out what is wrong or simply throwing it out would be the only two sane responses to the situation you find yourself in, unless you think a 200 PSI steam explosion in your kitchen is worth risking for a cup of coffee.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I used to have one like that and had to get a couple of the rubber seals replaced under warranty, but it didn't have symptoms as dire as you're describing.

It definitely won't fix itself when it dries out, but depending on what's actually wrong it could be pretty cheap to fix or get fixed. (But new coffee machines are also pretty cheap, especially with some post christmas sales hanging around)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

unless you think a 200 PSI steam explosion in your kitchen is worth risking for a cup of coffee.

At this point it might be :downsgun:

RIP rear end in a top hat machine that I've hated for the last 7 months.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

luscious posted:

At this point it might be :downsgun:

RIP rear end in a top hat machine that I've hated for the last 7 months.

Get a moka pot and hand frother. Its not technically espresso as temperature doesn't get quite high enough by a small amount and you'll need to microwave the milk for the frother instead of steam but total cost of both is <$40 and they work very well.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

c0ldfuse posted:

Get a moka pot and hand frother. Its not technically espresso as temperature doesn't get quite high enough by a small amount and you'll need to microwave the milk for the frother instead of steam but total cost of both is <$40 and they work very well.

I'm going to buy one of those stupid cup machines as I am too lazy to clean that poo poo out after I use it. The frothing isn't important as I drink the espresso as is without adding anything. Unfortunately that doesn't help me today as everything is closed and today I was really loving hoping to be able to have my spresso.

I wasn't super worried about it exploding because it's been leaking for months now and when I looked that up most of the reviews posted on Amazon said that is a common problem. I think that what's happening in there is that instead of the water being funneled into the percolator it's overflowing somewhere and leaking out around that area. The steam was a first but I am kinda convinced that had more to do with the fact that when I filled the tank today there might have been some spillage onto the actual machine :shobon:

I shouldn't be allowed to operate these things. Also: I have wanted a new one for almost half the time I've had this one. The only good news is that because it's broken I'm no longer thinking "replacing the pump would be a good idea!" as that is a mod that many people do with this specific machine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Dude, people who know are telling you that this machine could loving kill or maim you. Just go to a gas station and get some crappy drip and replace it tomorrow.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

tuyop posted:

Dude, people who know are telling you that this machine could loving kill or maim you. Just go to a gas station and get some crappy drip and replace it tomorrow.

I declared the machine dead a few posts ago and said that I was going to get a cup machine in the post directly above yours. I am still of the impression that it is a design flaw and not a ruptured or otherwise damaged pressure vessel that is going to cause a huge explosion. It's gone and done though... the cup machines are only 80$ and I don't think that this is still covered under warranty. Not to mention the fact that it didn't even brew espresso nice enough to bother with the effort of going to the post office multiple times to get this all sorted out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was supposed to take a coach bus to another city tonight but three hours before departure the trip got cancelled due to adverse weather conditions (snow). This means I have to pay an additional night in a hotel, and the coach company isn't willing to assist me with that. Do they have any legal obligations to help me and is there anything I can do at all?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable posted:

I was supposed to take a coach bus to another city tonight but three hours before departure the trip got cancelled due to adverse weather conditions (snow). This means I have to pay an additional night in a hotel, and the coach company isn't willing to assist me with that. Do they have any legal obligations to help me and is there anything I can do at all?
If it's anything like airlines the ticket/agreement will say something like "not responsible for weather delays or cancellations beyond the value of the ticket" or some such. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll hook you up but they don't have to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come there hasn't been any innovation in regularly-priced cars in terms of fixing the problems when cars with limited-slip differentials get stuck in the snow? It seems like it'd be a simple thing to say "OK, the car isn't moving, and one wheel can spin much more freely. Supply power to the other wheel instead".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I could have sworn there was an A/T / BFC megathread about blogging and monetized blogging, but now I can't find it. Did that get closed or something?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447030

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

hooah posted:

How come there hasn't been any innovation in regularly-priced cars in terms of fixing the problems when cars with limited-slip differentials get stuck in the snow? It seems like it'd be a simple thing to say "OK, the car isn't moving, and one wheel can spin much more freely. Supply power to the other wheel instead".

Isn't that exactly what AWD does?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

luscious posted:

I'm going to buy one of those stupid cup machines as I am too lazy to clean that poo poo out after I use it. The frothing isn't important as I drink the espresso as is without adding anything. Unfortunately that doesn't help me today as everything is closed and today I was really loving hoping to be able to have my spresso.

Again, its worth the $14 to try a moka pot. I never wash mine except for immediately before use (I use it a min of twice a week).

Really cool device that is a lot greener than daily disposable cups...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
What is that music that comes up in this and other Hollywood movies when the "big kiss" comes up? I'm usually a google-fu expert but it seems to be beyond myself and a friend. It's in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYIcpi8avy4

E: Nevermind, it's the Romeo and Juliet Overture by Tchaikovsky, right?

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 2, 2014

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Car identification question!
It's bugged me for years trying to find out what kind of car is featured in this music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6x6sHiFaw&t=249s
Here's a really good shot of the front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6x6sHiFaw&t=257s

And it comes up several times in this video as well. There's never a full shot of the car, but there's a bunch of front angles and side angles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbPvf2aYH4&t=71s

(yes judge me because i listen to fall out boy blah blah whatever who cares)

The only answer Google could find me was a '69 Buick Skylark, but that is the car featured in the beginning of the first video. The grill is completely wrong for it to be a Buick, I'm thinking it's an older Chrysler or an Oldsmobile, but I am not great with identifying older cars.
Help me out, please?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Edit: my post looks kind of stupid now.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 2, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It's from Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet overture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLsvQaxw3g

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

copy of a posted:

Car identification question!
It's bugged me for years trying to find out what kind of car is featured in this music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6x6sHiFaw&t=249s
Here's a really good shot of the front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6x6sHiFaw&t=257s

And it comes up several times in this video as well. There's never a full shot of the car, but there's a bunch of front angles and side angles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbPvf2aYH4&t=71s

(yes judge me because i listen to fall out boy blah blah whatever who cares)

The only answer Google could find me was a '69 Buick Skylark, but that is the car featured in the beginning of the first video. The grill is completely wrong for it to be a Buick, I'm thinking it's an older Chrysler or an Oldsmobile, but I am not great with identifying older cars.
Help me out, please?
1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme in the first video. Second video is a different car.

You should buy me a beer or something for making me watch Fallout Boy videos.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 2, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hoobajoo posted:

Isn't that exactly what AWD does?

OK, I guess so. However, that tends to be a fairly expensive add-on that isn't available on many sedans/coupes. Why don't they do something like that for your run-of-the-mill two-wheel drive cars?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

hooah posted:

OK, I guess so. However, that tends to be a fairly expensive add-on that isn't available on many sedans/coupes. Why don't they do something like that for your run-of-the-mill two-wheel drive cars?

They do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system

quote:

When the traction control computer (often incorporated into another control unit, like the anti-lock braking system module) detects one or more driven wheels spinning significantly faster than another, it invokes the ABS electronic control unit to apply brake friction to wheels spinning with lessened traction. Braking action on slipping wheel(s) will cause power transfer to wheel axle(s) with traction due to the mechanical action within a differential.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ahhhh. I read the first bit, and assumed that since it was connected to the ABS system, it didn't involve transferring power. Thanks for the clarification.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When it comes to automobile assembly, if you were to remove all the robots used and replaced them with the appropriate number of people, how much more would the car cost on average? How much longer would it take to build a car, say, like a Toyota Camry?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why do they always use security screws on bathroom stalls?

It's not like they're made of a valuable scrappable material, and laboriously unscrewing every screw to peek at someone pooping would be kind of ridiculous and they'd probably notice before you were done.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

alnilam posted:

It's not like they're made of a valuable scrappable material, and laboriously unscrewing every screw to peek at someone pooping would be kind of ridiculous and they'd probably notice before you were done.

Because people will vandalize anything and that's the only place that they (legally) can't put cameras to watch you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

When it comes to automobile assembly, if you were to remove all the robots used and replaced them with the appropriate number of people, how much more would the car cost on average? How much longer would it take to build a car, say, like a Toyota Camry?

You mean all the robots? I'm not sure it's possible to find people with the skills to hammer out the perfect curves and contours of a modern door panel, let alone millions of them, identically, by hand.

And that's not to mention the tiny electronics. I mean, no one person knows how to build any piece of those from scratch.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

tuyop posted:

You mean all the robots? I'm not sure it's possible to find people with the skills to hammer out the perfect curves and contours of a modern door panel, let alone millions of them, identically, by hand.

And that's not to mention the tiny electronics. I mean, no one person knows how to build any piece of those from scratch.

Just the ones on the assembly line that put the parts together, not the ones that make the actual parts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back when Henry Ford had his minimally machinery using human assembly line, it took 2.5 hours to assemble a Model T, not counting the production steps for shaping the wood and metal parts and the like. His early assembly style where people moved around to do the steps took 12 hours for each car. And those were much simpler cars, but they also weren't quite as well designed for easy assembly yet.

If we're just sticking with assembly, and assuming we still had all the same parts we do now to work with it and we don't have to also make parts to be assembled by hand, assembling should take less than a day per car. Probably a lot less, but 24 hous each would be like the absolute tops. Part of why machine assembly of parts can go so fast is that they're all planned out to be able to be put together fast, so the major slowdowns will be stuff like having some extra burly guys to heft around and hold heavy parts while they're being put together.

I've got no idea what it would do to the cost, other than make it cost a lot more. Like at minimum you've got to hire on thousands more guys at each plant, and you'd better pay them high wages or else they aren't going to stick around for such intensive work, because they'd be stupid to.

alnilam posted:

It's simply there so random weirdos can't easily screw up the bathroom. Also, the people who install and maintain the things already ahve the neccesary hardware to do so.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 2, 2014

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've seen some excel wizardry done in this thread before, so I wonder if anyone can tell me how to format this to work automatically.

What I want is a cell that displays a single number, that is the result of ([a number from cell I3] divided by number of weekdays (excluding weekends) left in the month). I k now I can manually count the number of weekdays left and change the figure each day, but that's annoying and I'm using excel to try to automate all of this instead of my current method, which is a .txt file.

Is there a way in excel for it to calculate the number of non-weekend days remaining? Particularly, in Excel 2003, since I haven't updated in a long time.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Question about workplace networks: If I connect to the network using my phone or a personal laptop and browse a site (not porn, just SA or something), can they tell it's me?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nighthand posted:

I've seen some excel wizardry done in this thread before, so I wonder if anyone can tell me how to format this to work automatically.

What I want is a cell that displays a single number, that is the result of ([a number from cell I3] divided by number of weekdays (excluding weekends) left in the month). I k now I can manually count the number of weekdays left and change the figure each day, but that's annoying and I'm using excel to try to automate all of this instead of my current method, which is a .txt file.

Is there a way in excel for it to calculate the number of non-weekend days remaining? Particularly, in Excel 2003, since I haven't updated in a long time.
Look up the NETWORKDAYS() function in help.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Nighthand posted:

Is there a way in excel for it to calculate the number of non-weekend days remaining?
code:
=NETWORKDAYS(TODAY(),EOMONTH(TODAY(),0))
This will include the current day. If you don't want that, you can do this:
code:
=NETWORKDAYS(TODAY(),EOMONTH(TODAY(),0))-1
EDIT: the latter may result in -1 when it is the last day of the month and it's not a weekday. If that bothers you, try:
code:
=IF(TODAY()=EOMONTH(TODAY(),0),0,NETWORKDAYS(TODAY(),EOMONTH(TODAY(),0))-1)
Of course, whether you do that or not, you'll have to prepare for the contingency that you're going to divide by a number that could be 0.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 2, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

me your dad posted:

Question about workplace networks: If I connect to the network using my phone or a personal laptop and browse a site (not porn, just SA or something), can they tell it's me?

Potentially. Most network tools will show the device names for all connected devices, so if your phone has the name "me your dad's iPhone" they'll be able to tell it's you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

And even if your device name is innocuous, if they really wanted to find you they likely could via indirect means. See all the times "phone device" connects to network, match that up against who was in the office every single time it connected. See if there's any overlap in sites visited between the phone and anyone's work computer.