Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's a scientific fact that no human being falls as hilariously as Naoki Tanaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Tanaka falling down whenever someone so much as sneezes near him will never not be funny.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Taratang posted:

Tanaka falling down whenever someone so much as sneezes near him will never not be funny.

He is a fainting goat in human disguise.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
It's hard to tell if it's a joke or if it is a real thing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like he plays things up a lot. I just think he is a master of physical comedy, but I haven't seen his material outside of the Batsu games and Absolutely Tasty series.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Is Heipo a joke? That's what we should be asking.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I think he's a scaredy cat but once he found out it was something that annoyed the group he started to exaggerate it into what you see now.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
There's probably a bit of truth to the character he plays, but if he was seriously that hapless and annoying I doubt he'd be involved with Downtown as much and as long as he has been. He was around even during the 24-Hour Tag game, and that was in 2000?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Everyone plays an exaggeration of themselves which range from slight(Tanaka, from what I understand, is basically the same courteous, calm dude) to extreme(Hamada being very likable, friendly, and sociable off-camera) so I'm sure Heipo is no different.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I really want to see more of Tanaka's stuff. Both apparently really wowed Hamada and Matsumoto for them to be part of the Gaki No Tsukai crew.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
He has a supporting role in Takashi Miike's Zebraman 2 if you're interested in seeing him in something less comic. The Zebraman movies are also great and well worth watching regardless.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I keep meaning to get Zebraman. Miike's one of my favorite directors.

Apparently he was a minor character in Yoshihiko and the Key of Evil spirits. Dr. Morgon, which I totally didn't recognize him at all.

Zain fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 25, 2013

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KittenofDoom posted:

There's probably a bit of truth to the character he plays, but if he was seriously that hapless and annoying I doubt he'd be involved with Downtown as much and as long as he has been. He was around even during the 24-Hour Tag game, and that was in 2000?

Heipo is a member of the production staff but he's just so nebbish and funny that they bring him on when they need someone to play a comical coward. Same thing with Tanaka - he's a bit of a puss but he's probably not nearly as bad as he pretends to be for laughs. Or Fujiwara being poo poo at remembering his lines, at this point he probably doesn't look at the script much at all and just wings it because him not learning his lines is funnier.

Yamasaki is the best example of this. They keep bringing Chono back to smack him because his exaggerated attempts to avoid getting smacked are just so hilarious and cowardly. But Yamasaki has a long history of getting beaten up for laughs, see the old Yamasaki/Onishi rivalry and then Yamasaki vs. Moriman.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 25, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Preview conference with clips of the upcoming batsugame: http://j-addicts.blogspot.se/2013/12/gnt-arahende-20131215-2014-batsu-game.html

Doesn't spoil much but the geographical location and the beautiful view, which I think are worth keeping unknown until it airs/you watch it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This looks amazing.

I hope the mystery guest riding the thing they're pushing on wheels is Chono.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I appreciate it's a huge commitment but have any subbing groups said whether they are going to work on this year's batsu game?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Taratang posted:

I appreciate it's a huge commitment but have any subbing groups said whether they are going to work on this year's batsu game?

Well the guys who subbed the last one haven't posted any videos on their site since August so I can't see them doing it again. I guess I don't know how long stuff like this is supposed to take but they seemed really slow, the teacher batsu wasn't finished until like June.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Is Furuhata Ninzaburo any good? I just watched the first episode and thought it was pretty underwhelming and cheap looking(when are Japanese drama not cheap looking anyway?), but I'm a big fan of Columbo and mystery fiction so I'm kinda hoping it gets better.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Livestream of Batsu Game here

http://ja.justin.tv/kazanbuy

chats english but obvs no subtitles. It's starting in an hour or something, but right now Yamazaki's singing in drag.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

chats english but obvs no subtitles. It's starting in an hour or something, but right now Yamazaki's singing in drag.

http://gntchat.chatango.com/

These guys are going to be live translating things when they can. It'll be slow and behind, but if you want some translations, this is your best bet. Open it in a new window and open it below your stream.

I am hyped as hell for this. :)

e: If that chat doesn't TL, they'll certainly link to the one who do, but these did last year. The translation chat may also be on this channel. http://www.justin.tv/gnt201314

30 minutes until start.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 31, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's going to be hard to top that Thai kick.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I want to open up a bento box and see obachan in it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

chaos rhames posted:

I'm in it for the commercials.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

How much have I missed? :ohdear:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

iastudent posted:

How much have I missed? :ohdear:

I have no idea but a couple of hours (?) and there may be one or more hours remaining? All I saw was them at a race track but now we're elsewhere.

Also, man, half the ads are for apps, the other half is food. It's interesting.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 31, 2013

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Szmitten posted:

I'm in it for the commercials.
The quality of the commercials has taken a serious downturn since '08 and especially since the earthquake in '11. By that I mean the majority of the commercials are no longer funny AND they try way too hard to be earnest and serious. You almost never see the wacky crap on TV like this anymore. Hell, even the Softbank commercials have been loving sucking lately.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It looks like the same team as last year are going to sub the Earth Defense Force batsu. They seem a lot more organised this time around too

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ah, at least someone's subbing it, I checked their page a few hours ago and that wasn't there.

We'll see how long those translators last, by the end of last year's they were down to 1 or 2.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
There were several long chunks of show that didn't need much translation. Cant wait for the subs.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The G.D.F.E. seems to be headquartered in the same building as the police force they trained with a few years back.

e: As the New Year hits, I just heard some Yoko Kanno music as background in the new batsu game. Here's to 2014!

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 1, 2014

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Team Gaki has released the first part of Hamada's 50th birthday. It is quite touching, especially Tanaka's letter.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Links would be cool next time.

http://www.teamgaki.com/ep-1154-hamadas-50th-birthday-part-1/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is my most anticipated Gaki translation in a long time, glad they've gotten around to it.

e: that was great and I want to see Matsumoto's letter.
Tanaka is too adorable.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 1, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, I thought that would be an amazing episode and it didn't disappoint. There's always been talks of that being the real Hamada and that he took his mentor role seriously(and it plays a serious part in Japanese comedy anyway) so it didn't shock me to see those guys really thank Hamada in that way.

Endo's letter will probably be really good since I think that's the strongest senior/junior relationship for Hamada.

Given how insanely tough the comedy game is over there it's very likely Cocorico and License would be working desk jobs if it wasn't for Hamada and Downtown.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 2, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So, I'm catching up on the last bits of the New Year's batsu game...

Did I just hear Weird Al? Because I'm pretty sure I just heard Weird Al.

e: No, but seriously, that was Weird Al in quite possibly the last place I'd have expected to hear him.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 2, 2014

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

They posted the second part of the Letters to Hamada thing on teamgaki.com today. I'm gonna put this in spoiler tags so only read it after you watched it but it was good, but extremely disappointing that we didn't get to hear Matsumotos letter. His was easily the one I was most interested in. All the others were really good (even though I thought Hoseis was a bit short considering he's known Hamada the longest) but Matsumotos would've probably been really emotional and heartfelt and also offered some insights into things that nobody had really heard before.

Oh well, I'm glad they're doing the Batsu game. I've been on a Batsu game binge during my christmas/new years vacation from work and I already watched the non-subbed version of the newest one. It was really funny but it'll probably be ten times as funny if I don't have to skip over big parts where I don't know what the crap is going on :v:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Someone new subbed the latest Absolutely Tasty. I think this was the one where they switched up the AT format a little but I haven't watched it yet.

Dailymotion links in HD, no clue about sub quality.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x192n0x

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x195gid

Also j-addicts subbed the first 15 minutes of the batsu with help from zurui. This is not Team Gaki and they don't have plans to sub the whole thing and frankly they usually have some decent Engrish in their subs(maybe less this time with Zurui?) so it probably won't match the quality you see from Team Gaki but if you're starving for subs here you go.

Think I'm going to sit down this weekend and watch the unsubbed product, only caught the smallest amount when it was live.

http://j-addicts.blogspot.com/2014/01/first-15-mins-en-sub-of-2014-gnt-batsu.html

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I really want to know how Matsumoto thought at one point that chocolate-covered salted fish would be a good idea. :stare:

E: I take it back, the Miso soup/Consomme coffees might have topped that.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 3, 2014

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
I was looking for an episode name and number list to XBMC all my old Gaki episodes and found a wiki that had that, as well as a a list of Hamada's (horrible) drawings on various shows. Better if you can read the comments/labels obviously, but Google Translate should handle the titles at least. Sorry if repost etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Part 1 of the EDF Batsu is up!

http://www.teamgaki.com/batsu-2014-no-laughing-defence-force-part-1/